• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah it's a little shakier, I think the other three characters affirm the "leftovers" idea much better than Sephiroth (I kinda hate calling it that but you get the idea). You could argue the fact that Sephiroth's name was coming up that long ago supports it to some extent, but I don't really think it's an all or nothing sort of thing anyway. That's just why I assumed and considered Sephiroth to be at least a defensible part of that theory.
I think there is some truth in them going back to previous work or ideas, in part because there is great sense in doing that, logistically and financially. But just because some of the pass will be like that, it certainly doesn't mean it all has to be.

And I think people are being a little quick to lend credence in the form of extremely generous benefit of the doubt to what is, in effect, an index of claims, so as to make it fit with the others. But keep in mind that Sephiroth doesn't have to fit. Not every character has to be one with earlier roots.

And even if he is, it's still dubious to impart that list with its current credibility, considering its origins, timeframe, and purpose. That's my main issue.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
A comment like this would be downvoted to hell and back on GoNintendo, I tell ya what.

I don't think anybody's been underwhelming so far. Hell, I got into FF7 because of Sephiroth's inclusion alone, and discovered how much of a joy the game was! I'm extremely excited to see what's next.
Yeah don't get me wrong, I think this pass has been pretty great! I just remember after Min Min everyone went full doomer mode thinking we were gonna get a bunch of Nintendo plugs and stuff, I'm seeing remnants of that kind of thing pop up again and I don't think it's very well justified.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That said, 80% of Zelda fans are punching the air right now.
And people were starting to turn around on Skyward Sword too...

But because it's not the right Zelda game re-released on Switch (though all the other games have received re-releases at this point?) people hate it again.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 6.59.08 PM.png

Man.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

But because it's not the right Zelda game re-released on Switch (though all the other games have received re-releases at this point?) people hate it again.

View attachment 303783

Man.
Such is life, I suppose. The fandumbs and hatedoms will always be the more vocal part of a fanbase than actual, tried-&-true fans. Tragic, ain't it?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I don't think they'll bring back the second Monster Hunter mii outfit as that one was based off of MHW's armor. Though I could see them making a Rise-based costume and releasing it alongside a full-fledged Monster Hunter character :ultpacman:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig

Man.
To be fair, Nintendo has no excuse for them not already being on the Switch, other than spacing them out for sales.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What exactly is wrong with it? You want K. Rool's Blast-O-Matic to nuke Final Destination instead?
It's cool when you first see it, but it gets a bit less cool when you have to wait through it every time you grab a Smash Ball. Smash gives you more freedom of movement than most fighting games, and I like to be able to just run around and beat people up. I prefer semi-cinematics that don't take you out of the fight because of that.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I'm excited for Pyra & Mythra! I enjoyed Xenoblade 2, I like the idea of swapping between the two of them for a power/speed tradeoff, and I can't wait to get more Xenoblade 2 music in Smash. I have a sinking feeling that Lloyd's Mii costume could return here -- thematically it would make sense, as they're both RPG characters, but aside from that it's kind of just a feeling. Still, this was a cool character choice, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they play.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Because the hate could go overboard to the point of not being able to express your excitement without getting bullied. See :ultbyleth:
Look, I know none of yall **** with niche demon collecting post-apocalyptic biblical cyberpunk JRPG "Shin Megami Tensei" (despite the fact that is the coolest combination of game defining terms ever combined)...

but if Demi-fiend got in, I would quite literally not give a SINGLE damn about whatever ANYONE has to say. My enjoyment of a character being literally IMMORTALIZED in the biggest gaming crossover of all time would be more than enough to make up for people going

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
It's cool when you first see it, but it gets a bit less cool when you have to wait through it every time you grab a Smash Ball. Smash gives you more freedom of movement than most fighting games, and I like to be able to just run around and beat people up. I prefer semi-cinematics that don't take you out of the fight because of that.
Yeah, I also like the feeling of being able to aim the final smash instead of just standing next to the target, pressing b, and watching a cutscene play

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And I'd argue we pretty much have a lock of a date.... assuming E3 happens, that is.
I'm not convinced Nintendo will actually participate in that whole mess, but I do agree that around that time is probably when we'll at least get a presentation regarding the character, and hopefully a bunch of other stuff.

SirCamp

Smash Ace

View attachment 303783

Man.
Skyward Sword is a good game, but man I can't truthfully say I'm not disappointed that it was all we got, with nary a mention of Zelda's anniversary. It's also disappointing for me personally because Skyward Sword is the last Zelda game I played (I replayed it two years ago), whereas I've yet to get a chance to play Windwaker sadly. So its overall basically the worst possible result for me lol. But that obviously has no bearing on anything other than me personally. I'll just be a bit gutted if the anniversary goes by and Nintendo just does nothing. Also I think the hype of the Mario collection ruined people's expectation. The fact that it isn't a collection alone is going to ruffle some feathers at this point I think.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sakurai posted a second POTD today for Wild Gunman's Anniversary.

"Wild Gunman" released at NES today in 1984 !! Originally a 1974 arcade work. It was a live-action film video, and it was a game in which the enemy's eyes shined and shot quickly. The official way to play the NES version is to shoot quickly with the ray gun in the holster. Do not touch the gun until your eyes are shining. #Smash Bros. SP

Shroob

Sup?
Well at this point, I think It's very plausible we get both CP10 and CP11 both revealed around June (and Definitely at least one released also, if not perhaps both)
I doubt we're getting both released at the same time, UNLESS they pull a giga brain move and have them be from the same franchise, which has yet to happen.

Each patch adds balance changes, and the downtime between gives them time to see what needs adjusting.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Skyward Sword is a good game, but man I can't truthfully say I'm not disappointed that it was all we got, with nary a mention of Zelda's anniversary. It's also disappointing for me personally because Skyward Sword is the last Zelda game I played (I replayed it two years ago), whereas I've yet to get a chance to play Windwaker sadly. So its overall basically the worst possible result for me lol. But that obviously has no bearing on anything other than me personally. I'll just be a bit gutted if the anniversary goes by and Nintendo just does nothing. Also I think the hype of the Mario collection ruined people's expectation. The fact that it isn't a collection alone is going to ruffle some feathers at this point I think.
It's mother&^%@ing Zelda, mate, chances are it'll get its own Direct later down the line. Just keep your expectations in check.

ZelDan

Smash Master
That...was certainly a direct.

I can't exactly say I was hyped by Pyra's/Mythra's inclusion. Now, I didn't dislike their inclusion, both blade chicks have better designs than Rex to me (not that their designs are perfect, but I really don't like Rex's), and it is nice to see some more female fighters that aren't sharing the spotlight with a male character, but yeah, As someone that played every Xenoblade except 2, I cannot say I was personally excited for them.

Outside of that, the direct wasn't the most exciting. There was some stuff that caught my attention, like Legend of mana, the new strategy game by the octopath dudes, ninja Gaiden collection, Fall guys on Switch, Skyward Sword HD, and Splatoon 3. nothing that really "hyped" me though. Seeing Mario Golf was a gut punch as a Golden Sun fan, but I suppose I'm used to that by now...

Speaking of Splatoon 3, I actually realized earlier today that it has been years since Splatoon 2 was a thing, and that Splatoon 2 was finished getting updates sometime last year I believe (or maybe year before that? I don't remember), so the idea of a Splatoon 3 did cross my mind before the direct. Kinda wish I brought this up so I could have pretended to be a totally legit leaker guise I swear felt cool on the internet atleast for a brief moment.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I wonder what Spirits Pyra & Mythra will come with? If I had to guess, at least these ones currently missing..
Contains Spoilers
  • Pneuma
  • Nia (Blade Form, Censored Art)
  • Dromarch
  • Poppi QT
  • Poppi QTπ (Censored Art)
  • Vandham
  • Roc
  • Pandoria (Censored Art)
  • Brighid
  • Azurda (Small and/or Titan forms)
I'm hopeful for the possibility of including the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 versions of KOS-MOS and t-elos as Spirits as well.

And I think these images would work for Pyra & Mythra's Fighter Spirits, the artwork drawn to base their figures off of and were also used as the basis for the poses they took for 'Pyra Blazes Into Battle' and 'Mythra Awakens' Splash Images (I love when they reference figures like that..makes them more special imo) They have separated versions used on the boxes for the figures and would work fantastically for them as Fighter Spirits, though obviously both would be censored to represent how they appear in-game.
Aegis_swords_Pyra_Mythra.png
(Click for Full View)
My last minute predictions for the possible Smash Reveal..
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  • Reimu (Touhou Project)
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
  • Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
  • ....a Promotional Pokémon from Sword & Shield..which I don't want..since I'm sick of all new Pokémon always being promotional ones (aside from Pokémon Trainer in Brawl)
I'm going to count this as half-correct lol
Welcome back, everyone. How bout that Pyra/Mythra?
I am so, so, so beyond happy! Pyra, solo, was my main want..but I thought she'd be tied with Rex no matter what...
As soon as he said ''Pyra is missing"

My first thought was ''Duh, because she's in Smash fool. You gotta go find her in Smash."
Same here, I even said it during my Brother's reaction Livestream in the chat, which is why he says 'What if they do find her in Smash' and 'I bet Luna (me) is happy' lol
well... at least i hope Pythra come with X music if I can't get Elma and they don't do the more fighters in development thing.

on the other hand i am now 100% backing Octoling, Reimu and a LoL rep. not so confident in KOS-MOS, but thanks to Splatoon 3 i have renewed hope for the Veemo
I am fine with all of these..and I hope we get some Xenoblade X music too.
I wanted Pyra and Mythra solo, but I never thought they would get in without Rex

(I like rex, but i'm not the biggest fan of his design.)
Same here, whereas Pyra is my second favorite in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 behind Nia, so having her solo made me so happy!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sakurai posted a second POTD today for Wild Gunman's Anniversary.

"Wild Gunman" released at NES today in 1984 !! Originally a 1974 arcade work. It was a live-action film video, and it was a game in which the enemy's eyes shined and shot quickly. The official way to play the NES version is to shoot quickly with the ray gun in the holster. Do not touch the gun until your eyes are shining. #Smash Bros. SP
Alright so Wild Gunman is FP10. Sakurai can't get anything past me

SirCamp

Smash Ace
It's mother&^%@ing Zelda, mate, chances are it'll get its own Direct later down the line. Just keep your expectations in check.
While that's fair, it'll be a little weird to me if that happens significantly after the actual anniversary date. I mean the anniversary is next week. It just feels like now was the time? And given that we had a direct today I'll be surprised if we get another very soon after, Zelda focused or otherwise. Excepting Pokemon of course, we all know that's happening.

And then that just makes me wonder, when would it make sense for them to do it?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Each patch adds balance changes, and the downtime between gives them time to see what needs adjusting.
That sentence hurt because it was true thanks to tournaments happening, as lots of patches/Buff/nerf were an answers to offlines big tournaments that...Stopped. I think the Balance team just throw a dart at the wall randomly ever since coco-chan happened and no tournament is ongoing.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also, Seeing as how Sephiroth appears in Pyra/Mythra's Trailer, we can see that in the Lore, Their trailer definitely takes place After Sephiroth, and I think adds credence to perhaps more invitations being sent out after WOL ended, so pretty much

-Base game Trailers and FP1 Trailers either take place before or during WOL
-Sephiroth is the Conclusion of WOL
-Steve probably is the First trailer after WOL, since the Cast is shown just regularly fighting now, but Mario seems very surprised about Steve even existing in the Smash world
-Min Min and Pyra and Mythra are the Last trailers in the timeline, and were given invitations after WOL ended. This is especially true since both characters were Spirits

I doubt we're getting both released at the same time, UNLESS they pull a giga brain move and have them be from the same franchise, which has yet to happen.

To be fair, I think unlike Smash 4, I don't think they'll just completely drop the game after FP2, they might balance some more stuff before Development full finishes. The Switch isn't dying anytime soon like the Wii U is, and they know this game will be the Smash game many are playing for awhile

In any case, yeah I'm not sure on the Double release, but personally I do think CP10 and CP11 will probably be revealed at similar times, and might even have Connected Trailers (not the same trailer, but just connected in lore).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm skeptical of both characters being revealed this year at E3.

To be honest, given how Sakurai went on a whole thing about "look at what we did in Pass 1, now onto Pass 2!" at the end of Byleth's presentation, I just CAN'T see them revealing the final fighter added to Smash Ultimate, the biggest crossover in gaming history, potentially media history, and then wait months on end to talk about them in depth.

Basically, I think Pyra/Mythra gets a deep dive in March, next pack is at E3, and then final character by end of summer early fall

OR

Deep Dive or Pyra/Mythra in March, CP 10 in April or May, and then Challenger Pack 11 at E3 to wrap it all up.

That said, I do expect the former scenario. I can't see another character coming so quickly after this...though the same could have been said for today I suppose, lol.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Oh yeah right, we will get another balance patch. I sure hope Nintendo does a good job assigning buffs/nerfs!

(inb4 they buff both Sonic and Ness again)

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Wait also a question

Did Nathan Drake's Creditability take a hit, since I think he directly said NO Mario Golf, yet we just got Mario Golf?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm skeptical of both characters being revealed this year at E3.

To be honest, given how Sakurai went on a whole thing about "look at what we did in Pass 1, now onto Pass 2!" at the end of Byleth's presentation, I just CAN'T see them revealing the final fighter added to Smash Ultimate, the biggest crossover in gaming history, potentially media history, and then wait months on end to talk about them in depth.

Basically, I think Pyra/Mythra gets a deep dive in March, next pack is at E3, and then final character by end of summer early fall

OR

Deep Dive or Pyra/Mythra in March, CP 10 in April or May, and then Challenger Pack 11 at E3 to wrap it all up.

That said, I do expect the former scenario. I can't see another character coming so quickly after this...though the same could have been said for today I suppose, lol.
We "have" had character release speed speed up pretty substantially lately.

Steve to Sephiroth was what, 60 days, compared to the average of mid 80's-90's?

But I agree. IF, and ONLY if Pyra and Mytha launch SUPER early in March, I wouldn't 100% put it off the table, but if they're mid to late March? No chance. And even then, even if they come out say, March 1st, I still wouldn't put much stock in an April or May release.

....though, ending it all at E3, where it all began, would be a fitting way to end it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It would be smart to reveal the last two together though and spare the final character from the wave of rage as they don't turn out to be the one option people rested their hopes upon. Though that didn't spare Corrin and Bayo. Though they were, y'know, Corrin and Bayo.

And tbf if it were just Corrin or just Bayo it probably would've been even worse.

Wait also a question

Did Nathan Drake's Creditability take a hit, since I think he directly said NO Mario Golf, yet we just got Mario Golf?
I could be misremembering, but I believe that was just in reference to getting one last year.

Fwiw, he more recently disavowed getting Golden Sun. Which we didn't.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Pyra being in kills any chances of a Phantasy Star character since she takes away that general archetype (Sci-Fi weeb girl) so rip me.

Gonna pray for Arle or Opa Opa at this point.

Have no doubt we'll get a Capcom character though

Well Hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom