• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
:ultpiranha: – September 13, 1985

:ulthero3::ulthero4::ulthero2::ulthero: - May 27, 1986

:ultridley: – August 6, 1986

:ultsimon: – September 26, 1986

:ult_terry: – November 25, 1991

:ultkrool: – November 18, 1994

:ultsephiroth: – January 31, 1997

:ultbanjokazooie: – June 29, 1998

:ultsteve: – November 18, 2011

:ultisabelle: – November 8, 2012

:ultinkling: – May 28, 2015

:ultjoker:– September 15, 2016

:ultincineroar: – November 18, 2016

:ultminmin – June 26, 2017

:ultpyra:/Mythra – December 1, 2017

:ultbyleth: – July 26, 2019

For fun, here's all of Ultimate's non-echo newcomers in chronological order.

Woof at the massive gap between Banjo and Steve. We need some more mid 2000s characters in here...

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

:ultkrool: – November 26, 1994

/Mythra – December 1, 2017

Woof at the massive gap between Banjo and Steve. We need some more mid 2000s characters in here...
I was about to say "Wow, they added the Pyra emote fast".

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

1613618577123.png

1613618589305.png

I've found your next two Smash characters and they appeal to me specifically.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

…I still wanna believe in Sora

Shroob

Sup?
Where do you hear that MH is super likely? For me I thought they were very likely months ago, but for every month that passes I feel like they have more and more going against them.
Not that they were "Super likely", but the fact that there's evidence that at one point they were considered playable. I could be wrong but I thought that datamining suggested something weird with their music tracks.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Where do you hear that MH is super likely? For me I thought they were very likely months ago, but for every month that passes I feel like they have more and more going against them.
It was referring to the Leftover/Second Chance theory, where FP2 is about wrapping up loose ends, finishing old deals, and giving low-content series/games from base Ultimate some proper representation. Monster Hunter is the only series that's confirmed to fit the bill via Rathalos in the base game; Everything else is based off of rumors, theories, and insiders.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I really do wonder if Pokemon is a shoo-in for this pass. I mean, Nintendo asked for ARMS and Xenoblade, I'm starting to think that it wouldn't be normal if somehow Nintendo wasn't able to shill in Pokemon in this pass.
People said this after Min Min too... are we gonna fall back on people thinking the rest of the pass is Nintendo shill picks / underwhelming first parties?

I mean, I don't think a Pokemon is impossible or anything but I also don't think it's the same thing. Neither Min Min or Pyra are like, outright promotional characters or anything since their games came out some years ago now (and hell, Pyra probably won't even be in the next Xenoblade game).

Unlike these two, Pokemon DID get a character in the base game. It wasn't Gen 8, but it didn't miss the boat as unfortunately as the other two games which Sakurai would explicitly state probably would have made it in had he been granted more time.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
What even is the evidence that Sephiroth was a leftover? As far as I know/remember it's just because it was in the ChunTales rumor, but that isjust that, a Rumor.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What even is the evidence that Sephiroth was a leftover? As far as I know/remember it's just because it was in the ChunTales rumor, but that is just that, a Rumor.
It's mostly theorizing, since Final Fantasy VII was infamously underrepresented in the base game. It would match up with ARMS and XC2 being too late for consideration and Steve being negotiated for five years ago, but it's nothing concrete yet.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh, I must've missed the context of what you meant. My bad.
No worries!

I don't get why people care about others hating on their character. If my dream characters got in, I would be ecstatic. Why would I care about what other people think? I got my character.
^

It's a good point. When I get a character I'm really thrilled over, no amount of criticism will remove them from the game. Let people express themselves how they want. Positively, negatively... it won't change the game. If there's any time you'd think you'd be able to shrug if off, it's after getting a character you love.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I don’t know why, but this reveal sort of has me bummed because it really cements the “second chances” idea. I was hoping the opportunity of a new pass would introduce a lot of new series, not just be a second chance for stuff that missed the base roster. Steve & Sephiroth are still hype, but I feel a lot of characters are off the table now which is sad.
We always knew Sakurai wanted Xenoblade 2 in Smash. I think people are jumping the gun a bit here and are assuming things based on unproven information via the Chun-Li and Monster Hunter rumors. It's Smash. As always, anything is possible.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't get why people care about others hating on their character. If my dream characters got in, I would be ecstatic. Why would I care about what other people think? It's not like the character would go away.
Me with Terry, I do not care about who gets in now but I will voice my opinion either way.

Only characters that would make me happier (and realistically get in) is Scorpion. And Goku. :nifty: Just because it'd be funny.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ya know.

Who the hell is the team that makes the trailers anyway? Are they done in house or outsourced?
Digital Frontier makes the trailers, so they're outsourced. Though some obviously involve additional parties if they aim to replicate a specific game's look. But it seems like Sakurai still scripts them, and probably exercises a Sakurai-like control over every second of what is seen, lol.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What even is the evidence that Sephiroth was a leftover? As far as I know/remember it's just because it was in the ChunTales rumor, but that isjust that, a Rumor.
Sephiroth was part of the supposed "Square Seven" which included the likes of Luminary and Erdrick. The assumption was that Sephiroth was discussed a while back and implemented later on - less of a "leftover" and more like a golden opportunity to come back for him later.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
People said this after Min Min too... are we gonna fall back on people thinking the rest of the pass is Nintendo shill picks / underwhelming first parties?

I mean, I don't think a Pokemon is impossible or anything but I also don't think it's the same thing. Neither Min Min or Pyra are like, outright promotional characters or anything since their games came out some years ago now (and hell, Pyra probably won't even be in the next Xenoblade game).

Unlike these two, Pokemon DID get a character in the base game. It wasn't Gen 8, but it didn't miss the boat as unfortunately as the other two games which Sakurai would explicitly state probably would have made it in had he been granted more time.
If there is one trend I can confidently say has emerged from FP2, it's that Sakurai really does care about character gameplay above all else. If Sakurai is willing to add another Pokemon, then you can bet that its moveset will be sick as hell.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sephiroth was part of the supposed Square Seven which included the likes of Luminary and Erdrick. The assumption was that Sephiroth was discussed a while back and implemented later on - less of a "leftover" and more like a golden opportunity to come back for him later.
And you know that's a pretty big assumption considering these are just disparate names that made their way to Vergeben independent of each other.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Welcome back, everyone. How bout that Pyra/Mythra?
While I think it was a bit of a missed opprotunity to not go with the Blade/driver dynamic that's central to the gameplay of XC2, I think what they went with is pretty good as well. we don't have many character who can switch on the fly, so they're pretty unique in that regard.

at the very least, Rex being Chrom'd pretty much proves that DLC costumes do, in fact, deconfirm
Couldn't agree more. I don't know why people ever thought they didn't disconfirm, honestly, especially after Sakurai came out and explained that he chose Min Min specifically because he already included Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as Mii Costumes.

Okay but seriously, why are people so quick to jump to this conclusion? I mean, are you all that starved for gates to keep that you'll dredge up any old arguments that allow you to feel as though you know what does and doesn't disconfirm characters?

Okay but I sure hope this throws the whole frame of “Sakurai is unpredictable exclusively and speculation is useless” in the trash because hey guess what one of those characters “we talk too much about“ got in!
A broken clock is right twice a day. If you choose 30-50 different characters to speculate on and you happen to get one right, it doesn't make you clairvoyant, nor does it mean that your community isn't dog**** at predicting who's coming next.

"Base game leftovers pass" theory still intact btw
Ehh, I doubt it. The only other two characters who we know for sure have been considered prior were Decidueye and Alucard. The former was only considered in the context of a Gen VII Pokemon and we already have Incineroar. Alucard could still happen, even though he's an Assist Trophy, but I find it very unlikely for a variety of reasons.

That said, 80% of Zelda fans are punching the air right now.
Oh I get it, because they're preparing to replay Skyward Sword later this year.

Except for the fact that one of the problems with XC2s character designs are inconsistent. You have stuff like this
and then you have regular anime girls.
You can't say the rest of the blades are anime girls and then post a goddamn anime girl, mate.

I don't get why people care about others hating on their character. If my dream characters got in, I would be ecstatic. Why would I care about what other people think? It's not like the character would go away.
Because it's much healthier than the alternative of pretending your happy with absolutely everyone that gets in even if you're not.

:ultkrool: – November 18, 1994

IT'S TIME!
BillyHatcher.png

If there is one trend I can confidently say has emerged from FP2, it's that Sakurai really does care about character gameplay above all else. If Sakurai is willing to add another Pokemon, then you can bet that its moveset will be sick as hell.
Incineroar's moveset is part of what saved that character for me. (The other half is his winning smile and charisma.)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Seems that, perhaps, with the way Nintendo Versus word it's tweet, we might be getting news sooner than we expect to? Smash Presentation this month/early march release?

I'm pretty happy "The List" is dead.

Not for any one reason really... other than the fact that it was just a dumb leak.

Casting a net THAT LARGE was always prone to snagging a few correct guesses.
I'm happy that ALL leaks are ****ing dead, mostly because I think there a difference between having one character leaking and being like. "Okay, so the next 4 characters are."-
Still keeping that suspense, because if not, let's say that Kos-Mos or Reimu were added...Boy, would it have been ANNOYING and killing speculation.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
And you know that's a pretty big assumption considering these are just disparate names that made their way to Vergeben independent of each other.
Yeah it's a little shakier, I think the other three characters affirm the "leftovers" idea much better than Sephiroth (I kinda hate calling it that but you get the idea). You could argue the fact that Sephiroth's name was coming up that long ago supports it to some extent, but I don't really think it's an all or nothing sort of thing anyway. That's just why I assumed and considered Sephiroth to be at least a defensible part of that theory.

Yeah for sure, I just think it's kinda silly to immediately fall back on thinking we're getting another Pokemon just because a new first party showed up.

I'm actually not so opposed to the idea of a new Pokemon in general as long as they're fun, which the Pokemon in Smash usually do end up being. Although I would still be pretty damn underwhelmed at one of our remaining two spots going to... well, Pokemon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gonna guess we add Zeke, Lora, Monster Hunter, KOS-MOS, and Rex (again) to the Mii graveyard next month.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
are we gonna fall back on people thinking the rest of the pass is Nintendo shill picks / underwhelming first parties?
A comment like this would be downvoted to hell and back on GoNintendo, I tell ya what.

I don't think anybody's been underwhelming so far. Hell, I got into FF7 because of Sephiroth's inclusion alone, and discovered how much of a joy the game was! I'm extremely excited to see what's next.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Incineroar's moveset is part of what saved that character for me. (The other half is his winning smile and charisma.)
Same actually. In fact, I quite hated this pokemon for a long time before I saw him move in Smash.

Yeah it's a little shakier, I think the other three characters affirm the "leftovers" idea much better than Sephiroth (I kinda hate calling it that but you get the idea). You could argue the fact that Sephiroth's name was coming up that long ago supports it to some extent, but I don't really think it's an all or nothing sort of thing anyway. That's just why I assumed and considered Sephiroth to be at least a defensible part of that theory.

Yeah for sure, I just think it's kinda silly to immediately fall back on thinking we're getting another Pokemon just because a new first party showed up.
Oh, definitely. I mean I've been pretty vocal about thinking the very opposite myself. I doubt we'll see any more 1st parties....but if we do then I would bet on a Gen 8 Mon.

I'm happy that ALL leaks are ****ing dead, mostly because I think there a difference between having one character leaking and being like. "Okay, so the next 4 characters are."-
Still keeping that suspense, because if not, let's say that Kos-Mos or Reimu were added...Boy, would it have been ANNOYING and killing speculation.
I'd let Smashboards burn to the ground and speculation die forever if it meant Reimu was in Smash though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Gonna guess we add Zeke, Lora, Monster Hunter, KOS-MOS, and Rex (again) to the Mii graveyard next month.
I am SO glad you didn’t include Elma in that list. This is how she still wins

but remember, MH had TWO costumes in Smash 4. What if instead of KOS-MOS this brings back both MH costumes?

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I’m not so sure about returning MH mii costumes. I’m still looking at a Capcom rep. Lloyd is essentially a lock though for miis. Most of us agree. I also think Elma is up for the mii graveyard. Given her popularity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am SO glad you didn’t include Elma in that list. This is how she still wins

but remember, MH had TWO costumes in Smash 4. What if instead of KOS-MOS this brings back both MH costumes?
I was thinking both MH costumes come back with KOS-MOS in tow. So 5 new costumes + Rex is freed from bundle hell. I honestly doubt Elma shows up just because Nintendo seems to view X as the weird stepchild of Xenoblade despite it being an amazing game. Plus I feel like it would look wrong even though that’s irrational

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was thinking both MH costumes come back with KOS-MOS in tow. So 5 new costumes + Rex is freed from bundle hell. I honestly doubt Elma shows up just because Nintendo seems to view X as the weird stepchild of Xenoblade despite it being an amazing game. Plus I feel like it would look wrong even though that’s irrational
Maybe swap out KOS-MOS for Lloyd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom