• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Isn't Isaac a sword wielder, too? Hoo man, I could only imagine the immediate 180 people would do if he were playable and used a sword. Considering he never does as an AT...

…there's nothing I can say without sounding like a gigantic jerk. I'm sorry.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Because the hate could go overboard to the point of not being able to express your excitement without getting bullied. See :ultbyleth:
The same can happen in reverse. Two of my most wanted characters for over a decade were Banjo and Simon. Both got in! And both were initially met with tremendous praise! Hooray!

Once people were finally able to play as (and against) them though? Yikes. Nowadays, ask anyone who claims to be a real pro and they'll go off about how much they literally loathe those two characters because of their playstyle. People try to bully me just for wanting to play a couple friendlies as my most wanted characters.

And I just laugh, man. Cause truth be told, I suck at this game, I'm just trying to have a good time whipping chains and hearing bear go "guh-huh."

Be like water, my dude. Enjoy what you want to enjoy. Share it with people who give a sh*t. When the bullying gets too much, go outside. There's more to life than this. And remember: You wanted this character and, despite all odds, they made it in. Enjoy your victory lap!

And let's be real, in time people will probably come around to your character the same way they eventually came around to Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena, Greninja, Shulk, Incineroar, The Plant, Terry, Byleth, etc.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Pyra and Mythra were revealed today, so will the next reveal be at E3?
The 'busa.

I don't get why people care about others hating on their character. If my dream characters got in, I would be ecstatic. Why would I care about what other people think? It's not like the character would go away.
Indeed. If the pass had been all the NES characters I wanted, and all the 15-year-olds were furious at me, I'd drink their tears.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Isn't Isaac a sword wielder, too? Hoo man, I could only imagine the immediate 180 people would do if he were playable and used a sword. Considering he never does as an AT...

…there's nothing I can say without sounding like a gigantic jerk. I'm sorry.
I feel like the people who complain about anime sword-wielders and the people that ask for certain anime sword-wielders just... aren't the same people.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
THAT I could see at E3 (or at least, around its time frame). But again, that’s assuming a Vol. 3 is happening.
Volume 3 needs to happen around FP10 or in Pyra's demonstration. Honestly, the window is shrinking. And I am a big Volume 3 advocate.

Pyra and Mythra were revealed today, so will the next reveal be at E3?
Odds are? Crash Bandicoot. Something that is a tad more likely to appeal to Western fans makes sense or at least a big name, the only real exception to this is Min Min. Ridley, Banjo, Hero, Everyone is here, I think guessing that someone big for E3 makes sense.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Volume 3 needs to happen around FP10 or in Pyra's demonstration. Honestly, the window is shrinking. And I am a big Volume 3 advocate.

Odds are? Crash Bandicoot. Something that is a tad more likely to appeal to Western fans makes sense or at least a big name, the only real exception to this is Min Min. Ridley, Banjo, Hero, Everyone is here, I think guessing that someone big for E3 makes sense.
I don't really think Crash is happening at this point unless we get a 3rd pass. FP2 appears to mostly feature characters that were scrapped from the base roster for whatever reason.

Shroob

Sup?

I mean, there's really nothing saying that, if there is a volume 3 happening, that it can't happen during 11's presentation.

I don't think it'll happen, but I don't see the difference between revealing it during 10 or 11's. Hell, 11's would honestly be the "hype" thing to do.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm excited for Pyra & Mythra! I enjoyed Xenoblade 2, I like the idea of swapping between the two of them for a power/speed tradeoff, and I can't wait to get more Xenoblade 2 music in Smash. I have a sinking feeling that Lloyd's Mii costume could return here -- thematically it would make sense, as they're both RPG characters, but aside from that it's kind of just a feeling. Still, this was a cool character choice, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they play.
Yeah I'm feeling Lloyd's costume is gonna return with Pyra and Mythra. Feels like the right time for that if Lloyd/another Tales character isn't going to be playable.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Genuine question: Why is anime such a derogatory term nowadays? Are people really that shocked that a game that predominantly features characters made in the same country anime originated has a lot of anime-styled characters in it?
It's always been derogatory unfortunately.

There's a belief among a certain group of gamers that anything western is mature and adult, whereas anything Japanese is childish and immature.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So right now I firmly believe in the theory that the fighters in this pass are leftovers from the base game. The question is, who else fits this theory? I can't think of any other character who was rumored to be worked on during the base roster or had content confirmed to be scrapped for whatever reason.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
whoa whoa whoa wait

when was this confirmed?? i only saw Pythra in smash, famicom detective club and splat 3. i admit i skimmed
It was confirmed a while back in 2019. Riot mainly uses it as a way to advertise LoL on mobile but it's on Switch as well along with their new RPG Ruined King is confirmed to be coming to the system as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So right now I firmly believe in the theory that the fighters in this pass are leftovers from the base game. The question is, who else fits this theory? I can't think of any other character who was rumored to be worked on during the base roster or had content confirmed to be scrapped for whatever reason.
Hear me out: Octoling. Only two Octo Expansion spirits (Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy; & Octoling Octopus), no other OE spirits like Iso Padre or CQ Cumber, no OE music...

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I mean, there's really nothing saying that, if there is a volume 3 happening, that it can't happen during 11's presentation.

I don't think it'll happen, but I don't see the difference between revealing it during 10 or 11's. Hell, 11's would honestly be the "hype" thing to do.
I mean, Volume 2 got revealed with Terry. Given that, I am leaning that if we get stuff, it will be not at the end.

The same can happen in reverse. Two of my most wanted characters for over a decade were Banjo and Simon. Both got in! And both were initially met with tremendous praise! Hooray!

Once people were finally able to play as (and against) them though? Yikes. Nowadays, ask anyone who claims to be a real pro and they'll go off about how much they literally loathe those two characters because of their playstyle. People try to bully me just for wanting to play a couple friendlies as my most wanted characters.

And let's be real, in time people will probably come around to your character the same way they eventually came around to Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena, Greninja, Shulk, Incineroar, The Plant, Terry, Byleth, etc.
Being real, people will complain about whoever you play. Literally anyone.

That being said, disagreements galore on the last section. For one, people were genuinely predicting some sort of new pokemon (though many just guessed Mewtwo) in Sm4sh, and Palutena and Shulk were super safe guesses. I did warm up to WFT and Incineroar after a little while. Terry was also a nice surprise. But no I did not warm up to Plant or espeically Byleth whatsoever.

Plant to me feels like a thought experiement that was poorly executed. While I am glad Plant is this weird quirky character, the moveset feels janky at best and unfinished at worst. Even after buffs plant still feels like its moves have weird hitboxes and its gameplay is basically only centered on ledge trapping. Byleth is the single most uninspired character added this game both visually and moveset wise and is annoying to play as and against.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, Volume 2 got revealed with Terry. Given that, I am leaning that if we get stuff, it will be not at the end.

Being real, people will complain about whoever you play. Literally anyone.

That being said, disagreements galore on the last section. For one, people were genuinely predicting some sort of new pokemon (though many just guessed Mewtwo) in Sm4sh, and Palutena and Shulk were super safe guesses. I did warm up to WFT and Incineroar after a little while. Terry was also a nice surprise. But no I did not warm up to Plant or espeically Byleth whatsoever.

Plant to me feels like a thought experiement that was poorly executed. While I am glad Plant is this weird quirky character, the moveset feels janky at best and unfinished at worst. Even after buffs plant still feels like its moves have weird hitboxes and its gameplay is basically only centered on ledge trapping. Byleth is the single most uninspired character added this game both visually and moveset wise and is annoying to play as and against.
I mean, just because it happened with Terry, does it necessarily have to happen again in the exact same way?

Like, remember, the only thing that we knew with Terry was "More DLC is coming!", it was only in Byleth's presentation that we learned that it'd be a full-blown pass.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
And people were starting to turn around on Skyward Sword too...

But because it's not the right Zelda game re-released on Switch (though all the other games have received re-releases at this point?) people hate it again.

View attachment 303783

Man.
Personally, I'm happy SS is finally getting ported. That game does not deserve to rot and remain lost on an old ass console.

The fact that they decided to add in joystick controls for the sword, instead of just leaving it as motion control only, is a huge plus.

Granted, it's not the best Zelda game and not one of my top favourites, but it was a good entry nonetheless.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, just because it happened with Terry, does it necessarily have to happen again in the exact same way?

Like, remember, the only thing that we knew with Terry was "More DLC is coming!", it was only in Byleth's presentation that we learned that it'd be a full-blown pass.
I’d say yes tbh

in 4, after cloud’s presentation was done they announced the final Smash 4 presentation. Then again, the Wii U was KIND OF dying anyway

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
The fact that they decided to add in joystick controls for the sword, instead of just leaving it as motion control only, is a huge plus.
Hot take; the motion controls made it one of my favorite entries in the franchise. Might be spawning from last playing it in my teen years, but it actually felt like I was Link.
I wasn't expecting Pyra with Mythra to join Smash!?
I don't think a vast majority of us were, to be honest. Once again, we've been bamboozled, it seems.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the people who complain about anime sword-wielders and the people that ask for certain anime sword-wielders just... aren't the same people.
If Sephiroth and even Pythra's reveal (as well as Sora, Issac, and Dante fan pages) is any indication, the ven diagram is actually hilariously big, from what I've seen.

What I only just naively realized is that, aside from one Echo Fighter, we had a whopping zero new swordies in base game. So far, looking at every single newcomer in Ultimate, only 5 of the 21 are tried-and-true sword fighters. Everyone's only complaining because of the sins of Smash 4's roster...which only came back because of the "Everyone is Here" announcement that we all originally lost our minds over.

...Y'know, I'm beginning to think that people just like to jump on bandwagons and reach for reasons to hate on characters that aren't "their" characters.

I never came around on Trainer, Plant or Byleth...
Thanks for sharing?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Okay here me out here about the alts !crack theory ahead!

BIG XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2 SPOILERS
Maybe they are holding off on showing the alts because while 6 of them are normal recolors maybe a swimsuit or cloak here and there, the last 2 costumes are Pneuma and instead of the model switching it's just a stance change.

Non spoiler: Wacky costumes

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
The 'busa.

Indeed. If the pass had been all the NES characters I wanted, and all the 15-year-olds were furious at me, I'd drink their tears.
So will the next DLC fighter will be Ryu (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive), considering that Yuri (Fatal Frame) is trapped in the assist trophy collection for now?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Pythra: Has 2 blade, one for each

Lloyd: has 2 swords

Hmmm... coincidence?

Also, I've been asking this for a long time why is suddenly Chun-Li became the flavor of the month character and what leak that stated that, because the only leak I know is that Tales Chun one that has been mentioned multiple timeswhere it only mentioned Chun-Li being passed off for Ken afaik, that's not a really a strong statement other than playing the "Oh, ShE iS iCoNiC" card?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe they are holding off on showing the alts because while 6 of them are normal recolors maybe a swimsuit or cloak here and there, the last 2 costumes are Pneuma and instead of the model switching it's just a stance change.
I doubt it because there wouldn't be any indication on which character you are since Pyra and Mythra now look exactly the same because they are the same now.

Pythra: Has 2 blade, one for each

Lloyd: has 2 swords

Hmmm... coincidence?
I swear if they use this as the reasoning for adding the Lloyd Mii Costume now...

Paraster

Smash Lord
I've been mulling things over. I think Ultimate's newcomers, both DLC and base game, have objectively made a pretty good lineup overall...but the only ones that have been legitimately exciting to me personally have been Inkling, Incineroar, and sort of Steve. I know this sounds selfish, but I'd really like at least one more that I'd be excited for because they're cool to me, not just because I recognize what they contribute.

Does anyone else feel this way? Disappointed on a personal level, but happy on the general public's behalf?

Shroob

Sup?
I doubt it because there wouldn't be any indication on which character you are since Pyra and Mythra now look exactly the same because they are the same now.

I swear if they use this as the reasoning for adding the Lloyd Mii Costume now...
If nothing else, if Lloyd does get Mii'd, it'd put the final, outstanding leak in the dirt.

Then we'd more or less be waiting until June leak-free.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Um, Spoilers!
Sorry, I didn't think about Spoilers since the game came out in 2017, so I rectified that now.
so like whats the theory with Pyra/Mythra alts being hidden on the website
My best guesses..
The two they have in Xenoblade Chronicles 2's DLC
Pyra_alts.png
Mythra_alts.png
So, swapped colours, likely as P2, and I think their unique colour alts will be either P3 or P4, for the other, I suspect this..
PneumaRex2.png
Pneuma, their combined form
Spoilers for the Story!!
They could also, perhaps, have alts based on Nia for P5, Morag & Brighid as P6, Poppi's Forms for P7, and KOS-MOS & t-elos for P8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom