• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I also expect Sonic in Smash 6 (if he's playable) to get new voice clips from his new voice actor, whether it be Ben Schwartz or someone else.
Considering that's what happened the last time the voice actor changed, that's pretty much a given. Unless the new one is unionized, then we either keep the clips we have or say hello to Jun'ichi Kanemaru's voice clips assuming he doesn't get replaced between now and the next game.

Let's hope that the new voice actor gets new clips for the next game rather than repurposed ones from other games.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Considering that's what happened the last time the voice actor changed, that's pretty much a given. Unless the new one is unionized, then we either keep the clips we have or say hello to Jun'ichi Kanemaru's voice clips assuming he doesn't get replaced between now and the next game.
There's no way they're replacing Kanemaru, the guy's been Sonic's voice for over two decades now.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
It's likely going to be Ben Schwartz. Ducktales 2017 is already confirmed to be done (didn't last long unfortunately) so he no longer will be Duey and can now commit to another TV series character.
I hope it's not him, he's good for movie sonic but he wouldn't fit for game sonic, assuming he voices him the same way as he voices movie sonic

CosmicLuma

Smash Rookie
tbh the farther into the clip the less he sounds like Sonic.
I can definitely hear what you mean but this is small sample of what he can do. After playing through P5 and Royal he just seems perfect for the role personally for myself Also I’m a Ryuji fangirl so that’s probably why i’m so bias towards it ^^

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ben Schwartz was an okay voice for Sonic, but his voice isn't what I'd want to hear for a decade or so in all media.

The previous voices for Sonic have always felt like a smug teenager to me. Schwartz's voice feels more like a smug preteen to me, which is still fitting for him; it's just not what I'm used to and not what I would prefer.

D

Deleted member

I hope it's not him, he's good for movie sonic but he wouldn't fit for game sonic, assuming he voices him the same way as he voices movie sonic
He's fairly versatile, so you never know, really. Depends on the direction he's given. obviously for the movie, he was probably told to play Sonic like a child (which Sonic kinda was; a lonely, ADHD, attention-starved child) but for the games, he's typically 'older' (probably closer to mid-late teenager) so I'm sure he'd be told to play it as such.

Just look at Jaleel White. He was Sonic for both versions of the early Sonic animated series. The characterization of Sonic was wildly different between the two (Goofy; basically like Bugs Bunny and the other was Cocky) but White did a perfect job despite using the exact same voice for both depictions. It was all in the direction given and he was able to give a clearly different performance between the two.

EDIT: Forgot to include the fact that Jaleel White was also Steve Urkel. Pretty much nobody would look at Urkel and be like 'Oh yeah, thats an amazing Sonic' but that's the thing about Voice Actors, when they're good, they can really differentiate between roles.

Would never have guessed it, but he went to play one of the most definitive Sonics out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Ben Schwartz was an okay voice for Sonic, but his voice isn't what I'd want to hear for a decade or so in all media.

The previous voices for Sonic have always felt like a smug teenager to me. Schwartz's voice feels more like a smug preteen to me, which is still fitting for him; it's just not what I'm used to and not what I would prefer.
Have to agree. Schwartz works for the dorkier and more hyperactive personality of the movie Sonic, but game Sonic always works best with a genuine determination mixed with a confidence that can verge into cockiness.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I can kind of picture it working with Modern Sonic's design, but I do think there isn't enough energy behind it (the voice itself, not necessarily the performance) to meet the expectations of your typical Sonic voice.

I feel like saying that it's too grounded in reality, but that's such a weird thing to say about a voice. Might be an easy fix if that is truly the problem though since I'd imagine that's a product of voice direction.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So regarding the Voice actor thing

-I believe because of Sonic Prime, the upcoming Netflix show, being a Canadian production, that messes up things with voice acting since Canada has their own laws or such regarding stuff like this. If Sega want's to have mostly brand unification, this might be a reason for Cutting some of the VA's

-Mike Pollock I believe said he auditioned again, so it's unknown whether or not he got the job back

-To kind of contradict my point about the Brand unification, I wouldn't say Ben is automatically gonna be the next Sonic. The Prime series is actually connected to the games, As one of the writers said that it takes place in the Game universe, unlike the Movie (as of right now anyway), So I think the movie actors and Voice actors in stuff like the games and TV show will be different, so there's no guarantee Ben will be Sonic

-He was good in Forces, But Kirk's Shadow needs to go, he can stay as Orbot, but Shadow needs the Recast more than anyone else honestly

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I will say that if it is Ben Schwartz, it will likely be a very different portrayal from what we're used to regardless of voice direction due to the lower pitch.

EDIT: Like, a casual viewer might not be able to tell the difference between Sonic in Brawl and Sonic in for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U, but they will certainly be able to tell the difference between Sonic in Ultimate and Sonic in the next game.

-Mike Pollock I believe said he auditioned again, so it's unknown whether or not he got the job back
I looked it up, and it seems that this is a voice actor for Dr. Eggman, and I didn't see anything for him voicing Sonic. Not making a point, just noting it for the sake of discussion.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
That’s easy - Male Corrin has an ahoge, Female Corrin doesn’t
Huh, got my new vocab word for the day.

Ahoge: literally foolish hair, is a visual cue common to Japanese anime and manga. Consisting of a single cute, often long, lock of hair sticking out from the top of the head, it is most often used to identify foolish, bumbling or carefree characters.

The more you know. :happysheep:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Five years ago... where did the time go?

I remember I was watching it along my sibling, I was following Fates news and have never cared abut the quotas speculation makes up all the time, so my reaction was "Corrin! Corrin is gonna be in Smash!" chuckling while my sibling was confused on who he was.

ngl I thought when Bayo's trailer started that it was gonna be a KI character, so when I heard her voice my reaction waas a "Oh it's just Bayonetta"

Pillow

Smash Lord
I don't really have anything to add to the VA conversation, it's way out of my depth. So I'll just ask something totally off topic instead.

Would you guys be willing to pay for character costumes as DLC (stuff like wedding Mario and the Pikachu hats)? What costumes for which characters would you guys like to see added to the game?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Amys VA has also quit, so some people in the thread are discussing possible fates for the other VAs.
I know. The page had been exclusively Sonic up to that point, and I doubt everyone knows who Mike Pollock is, so I thought it necessary.

Huh, got my new vocab word for the day.

Ahoge: literally foolish hair, is a visual cue common to Japanese anime and manga. Consisting of a single cute, often long, lock of hair sticking out from the top of the head, it is most often used to identify foolish, bumbling or carefree characters.

The more you know. :happysheep:
Huh, I got a different definition: a large sandwich on a long split roll with any variety of fillings.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
It would seem atm that Tails’ VO thing is only for Sonic Prime. RCS and Amy’s VO are retiring from the series as a whole
Oh damn, we losing a lot of good ones
Though at least this seems like its only for the Prime Show.

Tail’s VA Is Not In Sonic Prime.
even if it's only for Sonic Prime rn, I really wouldn't be suprised if they end up replacing the current tails VA entirely, like when after heroes they replaced the cast with the Sonic X cast

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Would you guys be willing to pay for character costumes as DLC (stuff like wedding Mario and the Pikachu hats)? What costumes for which characters would you guys like to see added to the game?
Definitely. Dry Bowser, Cloud and Sephiroth's KH designs, Garou Terry and the different BotW armor sets of Link, to name a few.

Honestly, if they were roughly the same price of a Mii Costume (maybe a bit higher, I suppose they'd be slightly harder to make), it would be a pretty sweet deal, all things considered. I think it's a wonder we haven't got stuff like this yet.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't really have anything to add to the VA conversation, it's way out of my depth. So I'll just ask something totally off topic instead.

I want to say yes but I mostly just use the default costumes. Though I would like to see these costumes.

:ultmario:: Fire Mario, Ice Mario, Wario Mario, Red Star Mario and pretty much any Power-up costume Mario and Luigi can obtain.
:ultluigi:: Same as Mario, without the Wario costume.
:ultlink:: Ocarina of Time outfit
:ultkirby:: Old face Kirby (It's about as much as you can do with Kirby since he wears copy hats.)
:ultmetaknight:: Morpho Knight
:ultfox:: Melee Fox
:ultfalco:: Melee Falco
:ultfalcon:: SNES Falcon
:ultsnake:: Snake Eater
:ultsonic:: Tails, Shadow, Silver outfits and more colours for Sonic
:ultcloud:: Kingdom Hearts outfit and more colours for Cloud
:ultbanjokazooie:: Tuxedo Banjo & Dragon Kazooie and Squawkmatch multiplayer colours.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Please don’t quit Mike Pollock

I doubt Mike or Colleen are going to get replaced. Mike has been Eggman for too long to be replaced now, and Coleen is Movie Tails, so while she may not be doing Sonic Prime, I don't think she's getting replaced outright.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I doubt Mike or Colleen are going to get replaced. Mike has been Eggman for too long to be replaced now, and Coleen is Movie Tails, so while she may not be doing Sonic Prime, I don't think she's getting replaced outright.
Coleen might have just been a placeholder, as they probably haven't cast movie Tails yet.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

I’d like Sephiroths KH design. And please, for the love of everything. Give Samus different suits!

Pillow

Smash Lord
Definitely. Dry Bowser, Cloud and Sephiroth's KH designs, Garou Terry and the different BotW armor sets of Link, to name a few.

Honestly, if they were roughly the same price of a Mii Costume (maybe a bit higher, I suppose they'd be slightly harder to make), it would be a pretty sweet deal, all things considered. I think it's a wonder we haven't got stuff like this yet.
I want to say yes but I mostly just use the default costumes. Though I would like to see these costumes.
Yeah, I'd also like to see KH Seph, Garou Terry, and powerup Mario (especially Tanuki costume).

Mr. L Luigi, Samus alt suits, masked Lucina, armored mewtwo, Twilight Princess Dorf/Zelda, and Ms. Pacman are also skins I'd personally pay for.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

:ulthero4: I would absolutely pay for Sofia.
I main sans.
Giving :4ganondorf: to:ultganondorf:, and :4zelda: to :ultzelda: would be great for those who prefer those designs
Brittany for :ultolimar:
Aurora Rosalina or maybe a Space Suit for :ultrosalina: if we're adding original Designs to the mix.
Fire Mario and Black Yoshi.

Honestly, give every character an Alternate Costume like in PM and I would be so happy.

SKX31

Smash Master

I'm actually surprised that Nintendo has not already gone with this option, really. Yeah, a lot of the costumes would be the seasonal stuff (as is the case with practically every mobile / live service game), but I would absolutely pay for stuff that looked unique, like additional particle effects. A Gooigi costume for :ultluigi: would be really interesting to see, for example.

Other costumes that could work with additional particle effects (outside of those already mentioned):

:ultmario: : Hell, Odyssey already has 64 Mario, why not Smash?
:ultpikachu: : Detective Pikachu (voice pack optional), perhaps 64 Pikachu.
:ultmetaknight: : Brawl Meta Knight.
:ultpacman: : Pac-Man 2 the New Adventures Pac Man nah, Pac Man World Pac Man
:ultzss: : Justin Bailey perhaps?
:ultdk: : Original DK maybe?

Then again, my perception is colored by the fact that one of my favorite games released a skin that turned a ball of light into the Companion Cube. And I made sure to get that skin.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There's no way they're replacing Kanemaru, the guy's been Sonic's voice for over two decades now.
Tbf they replaced him for the movie dub, fans were ****ing livid in Japan, especially as how Kanemaru's done the role for nearly 20 years
Sonic character voice actors and actresses are leaving voice roles

Smash Fans: This is a Smash hint!
Please point every post in the thread that said that

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Coleen might have just been a placeholder, as they probably haven't cast movie Tails yet.
Then they wouldn't have used her in the Tease, instead of using someone else instead. We have heard of no recasts for Tails like we have Knuckles (who is absolutely not bringing over the Rock), and I doubt SEGA wants to deal with THREE Voice Actresses for Tails. We'll wait and see I suppose but I doubt Tails is getting Recast for Mainline considering we would've heard about a Movie Recast if that were the case.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Then they wouldn't have used her in the Tease, instead of using someone else instead. We have heard of no recasts for Tails like we have Knuckles (who is absolutely not bringing over the Rock), and I doubt SEGA wants to deal with THREE Voice Actresses for Tails. We'll wait and see I suppose but I doubt Tails is getting Recast for Mainline considering we would've heard about a Movie Recast if that were the case.
They might have to deal with three Sonic VAs (mainline Sonic, Prime Sonic, and movie Sonic) unless a VA shares multiple incarnations. Considering that Prime is a Canadian production this is unlikely.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Then again, my perception is colored by the fact that one of my favorite games released a skin that turned a ball of light into the Companion Cube. And I made sure to get that skin.
"We're now introducing Arcanas to Smash. You may now pay for Galaxy Kirby, which adds unique hats and particles for every character Kirby succs"

7NATOR

Smash Master
Sonic character voice actors and actresses are leaving voice roles

Smash Fans: This is a Smash hint!
Well no one said that

What I will say is that if we do get another Sonic character, Like Eggman, Tails, Shadow, & Knuckles, it's possible that not only will one of those characters come with their New Voice actors, but Perhaps Sonic could get new Voicelines in an update, and hopefully so since Roger's reused lines in this game are kind of lame

Only problem I could think of is that I don't know if the negotiations would allow such a shift in Voice acting. perhaps there could be a change but I don't know. I know Voice acting is one of the last things done though in development so there is that

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom