• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
They might have to deal with three Sonic VAs (mainline Sonic, Prime Sonic, and movie Sonic) unless a VA shares multiple incarnations. Considering that Prime is a Canadian production this is unlikely.
I'm thinking Ben is going to be the next English Sonic, Coleen is going to stay Tails outside of Prime (I'm thinking Netflix probably wants an Actual Child for Tails), and someone else is going to take over for Amy. Knuckles has already been Recast for Mainline, so has Silver, and Mike is probably staying Eggman.

I don't really have anything to add to the VA conversation, it's way out of my depth. So I'll just ask something totally off topic instead.

Would you guys be willing to pay for character costumes as DLC (stuff like wedding Mario and the Pikachu hats)? What costumes for which characters would you guys like to see added to the game?
Mostly I'd want all the Fire Emblem characters to have their great lord alts, Toon Link to have his lobster shirt and train outfit, and Shulk to get his Future Connected clothes.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't really have anything to add to the VA conversation, it's way out of my depth. So I'll just ask something totally off topic instead.

Would you guys be willing to pay for character costumes as DLC (stuff like wedding Mario and the Pikachu hats)? What costumes for which characters would you guys like to see added to the game?
1.Yes
2:
  • For Link, some of the other armors from Breath of the Wild like the Sheikah armor, or other costumes based on his previous versions like Ocarina of Time or Hyrule Warriors, etc.
  • Toon Link with his Pajamas outfit.
  • Chrom's Exalt outfit from Fire Emblem Cipher.
  • Lucina's Exalt outfit from Fire Emblem Cipher.
  • Roy with his Brave outfit from Fire Emblem Heroes.
  • Bowser in his Wedding outfit.
  • Robot Ness or Pajamas Ness.
  • Shulk with the Eryth armor set
  • Ryu with his Bearded costume from Street Fighter 5.
  • Simon with his Chronicles outfit and/or Mirror of Fate outfit.
  • Richter with his Dracula X Chronicles outfit.
  • Ken with his Rathalos armor outfit from Street Fighter 5.
  • Samus with one of her actual armors, like the actual Fusion Suit.
  • Snake with his Metal Gear Solid 1 look.
  • Pac-Man with his hat.
  • Pit and Dark Pit with Light Fighter and Dark Fighter armor respectively.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What I will say is that if we do get another Sonic character, Like Eggman, Tails, Shadow, & Knuckles, it's possible that not only will one of those characters come with their New Voice actors, but Perhaps Sonic could get new Voicelines in an update, and hopefully so since Roger's reused lines in this game are kind of lame

Only problem I could think of is that I don't know if the negotiations would allow such a shift in Voice acting. perhaps there could be a change but I don't know. I know Voice acting is one of the last things done though in development so there is that
In that timeline, Nintendo:
  • Paid to bring back Captain Falcon's voice actor to record slurping noises for a trailer.
  • Paid Cloud's Japanese voice actor to record lines for Sephiroth's trailer, and a new Final Smash while they're at it.
  • Refused to keep the Palutena's Guidance voice actors around for that feature.
  • Refused to add English voice acting to Cloud and Sephiroth.
  • Paid to replace Sonic's current voice lines.
I would really start to question their priorities there.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm thinking Ben is going to be the next English Sonic, Coleen is going to stay Tails outside of Prime (I'm thinking Netflix probably wants an Actual Child for Tails), and someone else is going to take over for Amy. Knuckles has already been Recast for Mainline, so has Silver, and Mike is probably staying Eggman.
There aren't a lot of good and well known Canadian child VAs so I think that Tails will remain voiced by an adult woman for Prime.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Still kinda wish we got Azura instead of the former. Even Byleth is, in my opinion, a better character.
To be fair to Corrin, his issue was that he was an actual character, despite being a player insert avatar. He was kind of the stepping stone for Byleth. Byleth proves that you can make a mute avatar an actual character, with a backstory and all. Corrin kinda shows why you usually shouldn't try to do that. Robin was actually pretty well received, I think, so it makes sense they would choose Corrin over Azura, especially given he was an even more important character to Fates than Robin was to Awakening.

Mostly I'd want all the Fire Emblem characters to have their great lord alts, Toon Link to have his lobster shirt and train outfit, and Shulk to get his Future Connected clothes.
Yeah more Lord outfits would be great. Though Ike would get a lot of costumes if that happens. I'm not that familiar with the Toon Link Zelda games or Xenoblade, but anything with the words "lobster shirt" can't be bad.

• Ryu with his Bearded costume from Street Fighter 5.
  • Ken with his Rathalos armor outfit from Street Fighter 5.
Uh, yes please.

Also on the Ken thing, it's actually crazy we don't have crossover costumes like this in arguably the biggest crossover game ever. Imagine if Monster Hunter comes and can wear Ridley's corpse as Armor.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I honestly expect Kathleen Barr to voice Tails for Sonic Prime.
Would Work, but then again, considering how Sonic X got EVERYONE Recast last time, I'm thinking SEGA is going to make sure to prevent it. We'll just wait and see.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Would Work, but then again, considering how Sonic X got EVERYONE Recast last time, I'm thinking SEGA is going to make sure to prevent it. We'll just wait and see.
Prime isn't gonna cause that same problem unless Sega decides to move all their recording to Canada.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Prime isn't gonna cause that same problem unless Sega decides to move all their recording to Canada.
True, but considering how it's implied that Sonic's Recast for the Movie is why Rodger was let go, I wouldn't be surprised if Amy was Recast because someone is taking over for Prime.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
To be fair to Corrin, his issue was that he was an actual character, despite being a player insert avatar.
On top of that, Corrin's defining traits are idealism and naivety, and you really can't write a naive, idealistic character well if you never give them consequences for their decisions. Because Corrin is supposed to be a player surrogate, there are no consequences. That made them fail on both fronts.

I actually really like Fates (and Corrin) as a concept and I could write an essay or two on how well Birthright and Conquest juxtapose each other and come together thematically. The execution just doesn't come through, though, and being two separate products makes the good stuff harder to see.

That game had a rough time of it, for sure.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
"But Sakurai said these where the last NEW characters! Wolf is still possible!"

Yes. Some people really were like that.
Well, they technically did get Wolf, just not in that game.

In fact Sakurai was pretty much planning Smash Ultimate as soon as Smash 4 DLC wrapped up so he probably was in the process of bringing back Wolf only a couple months later.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Some things never change, huh?
It's pretty interesting how things can change over time.
Wolf for example was easily one of the most hated characters in brawl after the full roster was revealed
("He's another Fox-clone." "Star Fox doesn't deserve more reps then DK" "He stole Krystals slot"*).
But then he got cut from Smash 4 and suddenly he was everbodys darling.

*not saying that every fan of DK or Krystal was like that. But there were people who thought like that

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Wolf for example was easily one of the most hated characters in brawl after the full roster was revealed
("He's another Fox-clone." "Star Fox doesn't deserve more reps then DK" "He stole Krystals slot").
You never realize just how important something is until you lose it. Think that goes for everything, really.

Pillow

Smash Lord
On top of that, Corrin's defining traits are idealism and naivety, and you really can't write a naive, idealistic character well if you never give them consequences for their decisions. Because Corrin is supposed to be a player surrogate, there are no consequences. That made them fail on both fronts.

I actually really like Fates (and Corrin) as a concept and I could write an essay or two on how well Birthright and Conquest juxtapose each other and come together thematically. The execution just doesn't come through, though, and being two separate products makes the good stuff harder to see.

That game had a rough time of it, for sure.
Pretty much this. I will also add that, for Smash specifically, Corrin was still the better pick just based on the moveset alone. People might hate Corrin as a character, but the transforming weapon/dragon thing is definitely a very unique thing that translates very well into a fighter moveset.

I also feel like unless the trend set by of the last few Fire Emblem games is flipped, it'll be pretty safe to bet that future FE characters that come to Smash will just be that game's avatar character. At the very least it'll circumvent the common complaint of "hurr durr not another sword Lord".

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Results for Wolf (among other vets like Snake and ICs) were probably quite high on the ballot. But as we know, nothing came to fruition due to the ballot until Ultimate (past Mii costumes).

Wolf for example was easily one of the most hated characters in brawl after the full roster was revealed ("He's another Fox-clone." "Star Fox doesn't deserve more reps then DK" "He stole Krystals slot").
The Mewtwo arc.

Hate is a strong word though. People were more displeased with the character's unoriginality than his presence. Wolf and Krystal were both quite popular characters in the lead up.

ROB was the character who drew most of the ire.

Pillow

Smash Lord
The Mewtwo arc.

Hate is a strong word though. People were more displeased with the character's unoriginality than his presence. Wolf and Krystal were both quite popular characters in the lead up.

ROB was the character who drew most of the ire.
The "joke" character usually pulls a lot of hate because people get offended that a meme got in over their personal favorite, so more than hating the character itself they feel like the slot was somehow stolen from the character they wanted. It happened with ROB, and again this game with Piranha Plant.

Except for Wii Fit Trainer, I guess, people liked her. To this day she remains the most out of left field character that no one expected but totally makes sense in hindsight.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, as a fun thought experiment, I decided to look into "magic systems" for RPGs and look at how they're translated from the original game to Smash Bros and see if I could translate a few RPG magic systems myself.

:ultrobin: Uses spells limited in durability depending on their tome. Spells are from a random assortment of tiers. Elwind resembles its Awakening incarnation as 2 wind blades, Arcfire and its posing resembles the basic fire spell in the GBA Fire Emblem games. Thunder goes through all 4 tiers, Thoron (the beam) specifically resembles its Awakening incarnation.
:ulthero3:Uses 3 elemental spells that level up in tiers with how charged they are (Frizz, Zap, Woosh). The final tier of Zap, Kazap, resembles the animation commonly associated with Gigaslash. Along with those 3 spells, he has a custom command menu that accesses a myriad amount of projectiles, slashes, buffs, and explosions. Psyche Up in particular reference a system of building up "tension" to unleash a single powerful attack that isn't present in most Dragon Quests.
:ultcloud::Does not actually use any magic spells from his original game. Rather he uses limit breaks as special attacks. Filling the limit bar, instead of allowing usage of these limits like in the base game, "powers up" the limit breaks into special blue variants. This is similar to how the limit bar functions in Dissidia. When the limit bar is full, he also gains access to Finishing Touch, though instead of a tornado projectile, it is a spinning slash, similar-ish to Dissidia.
:ultsephiroth::Uses the Flare family of spells. His boss fight only uses Flare in the Japanese version and the upgraded levels are Final Fantasy mainstays, but never used by Sephiroth. Shadow Flare is introduced in the overseas version of FF7 and functions similarly to how it does in Dissidia, as a tracking series of dark orbs. Scintilla is a Dissidia original, with the hexagonal shield being lifted directly from the game, though its animation is altered to not include the stab. Also uses generic "dark" attacks for some normals.
:ultzelda:: Uses Link's spells from Ocarina of Time, though they vary wildly from their original game. She also summons a posessed suit of armor from Spirit Tracks. Uses generic "light" magic for her normals as well. (up air is a huge fire explosion though)
:ultjoker::Uses the "curse" family of spells, a line of magic that is usually reserved for instant kill attacks that had reintroduced standard attacks in P5. The residual damage over time effect is original to Smash Bros.
:ultness::ultlucas:: Use various spells, or "PSI/PK" from their original games, though most aren't learnt from the user, but rather their party members. Also uses a generic sort of magical attacks for their non-special attacks.
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultgreninja::ultincineroar: Use various "moves" from the original games. Some have altered functionality (Rest, Confusion, Revenge etc).

I was thinking about what other RPG series they could somehow translate to Smash.
  • Trails/Kiseki: Could cast spells that have a delayed effect until activation but a wide AoE, encouraging playing around spells rather than casting and forgetting. (Orbal Arts System)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Could cast spells that allow the user to follow up with attacks if it lands successfully (Press Turn System)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Could use the alternative forms of KH brand magic wherein they function differently and allow the user to move while casting or use them mid combo and borrow KH's MP Gauge where recharging doesn't work until all MP is used up. (MP Charge system)
  • Nier: Could use Pod Programs/Sealed Verses which aren't cast from the user itself, but from their assistant character that floats beside them (Pod/Grimoire System)
Any other magic or skill systems you think could be implemented to Smash?
Not sure if it counts, but the Program Advances from Mega Man Battle Network could be interesting. Maybe Hitting someone with a Sword(F-tilt), then Long Sword (F-Air) and then Wide Sword(B-Air) will let you up grade all of your sword moves as "Life Sword" for a bit. So using certain moves in a row can give you certain benefits? Of course, being too predictable in your approach would make this harder. Chaining certain projectiles together could also boost up your Mega Buster instead too.

Firox

Smash Master
Hey, guys, found this in the SCP-914 testing log. Thought you might find it amusing (note that SCP-914 is a machine that can "refine" things):

Test 914-1215
Name:
Junior Researcher Dart
Date: 12/11/2019
Total Items: One copy of each ''Super Smash Bros.'' game

Note: This test aims to determine how 914 handles a series. I have one of each game in the series. All tests will be conducted on Fine. - JR. Dart

Input: One copy of Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64
Setting: Fine
Output: A copy of the original, with several characters removed and added. One such addition is ''Banjo-Kazooie'', from the video game franchise of the same name.

Input: One copy of ''Super Smash Brothers Melee'' for the Gamecube.
Output: A copy of the same game, with the anomalous property of influencing the person playing the copy to be convinced that Melee is objectively the best game in the series. Effect can be countered with amnestics. Object incinerated.

Input: One copy of ''Super Smash Brothers Brawl'' for the Nintendo Wii.
Output: A copy of Brawl, but with improved mechanics. The most notable change is Meta Knight being nerfed. Random tripping has also been removed.

Input: One copy of ''Super Smash Brothers 4 for the Nintendo Wii U, one copy for 3DS.
Output: A combined version of both games, titled ''Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U Definitive Edition''. Contains all trophies and modes from both. Object not currently produced by Nintendo. Donated to break room, pending anomalous testing results.

Input: One copy of Ultimate for Nintendo Switch
Output: A ''rom-hack'' of the game replacing all of the characters with SCPs and researchers. Titled "Super Smash SCP Ultimate". After the text “SCP-096” was noted on a second playthrough in the Challengers' List, the game has been incinerated.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The "joke" character usually pulls a lot of hate because people get offended that a meme got in over their personal favorite, so more than hating the character itself they feel like the slot was somehow stolen from the character they wanted. It happened with ROB, and again this game with Piranha Plant.

Except for Wii Fit Trainer, I guess, people liked her.
Difference with Miss Fit is that she was revealed right off the bat rather than held off for last so she had more time to settle in and there was more to come anyway. All the other joke characters are always shuffled to the end, and people expect the best for last (even though it's never been the case in Smash...) so it throws them off even more, thus leading to more pushback until time has passed and they're a part of Smash and now we're mad that they could get cut.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Except for Wii Fit Trainer, I guess, people liked her. To this day she remains the most out of left field character that no one expected but totally makes sense in hindsight.
People don't take well to the WTF characters, but the volume of hate is because they're usually revealed last. Any character that gets revealed last gets hate, and if it's an out of left field pick, you're just compounding two polarizing categories together.

And before people say that Wolf was last... all the hidden characters in Brawl that hadn't been leaked prior to released were basically uncovered simultaneously, shortly after people first got their hands on the game.

WFT was also received negatively when she was revealed. They were just smart enough to reveal her at the beginning, when there was still a whole roster full of hope left, and time in which to get accustomed to her presence. She was also revealed on the back of the game reveal, and Villager and Mega Man reveals, to further cushion the impact. That was smart, and a good way to handle controversial characters. But they don't always do it that way.

If anything the WTF character that got the least amount of hate was probably DHD. But, he was leaked along with other characters, so he wasn't really known last... and Dark Pit siphoned all the hate for himself.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Difference with Miss Fit is that she was revealed right off the bat rather than held off for last so she had more time to settle in and there was more to come anyway. All the other joke characters are always shuffled to the end, and people expect the best for last (even though it's never been the case in Smash...) so it throws them off even more, thus leading to more pushback until time has passed and they're a part of Smash and now we're mad that they could get cut.
Yeah the timing of the reveal definitely is a part of it. The sad thing is these so-called joke characters usually have some of the most inspired move sets that Sakurai clearly put a lot of work into. Like seriously when I saw duck hunts moves were basically an offscreen player shooting enemies I thought it was brilliant.

People don't take well to the WTF characters, but the volume of hate is because they're usually revealed last. Any character that gets revealed last gets hate, and if it's an out of left field pick, you're just compounding two polarizing categories together.

And before people say that Wolf was last... all the hidden characters in Brawl that hadn't been leaked prior to released were basically uncovered simultaneously, shortly after people first got their hands on the game.

WFT was also received negatively when she was revealed. They were just smart enough to reveal her at the beginning, when there was still a whole roster full of hope left, and time in which to get accustomed to her presence. She was also revealed on the back of the game reveal, and Villager and Mega Man reveals, to further cushion the impact. That was smart, and a good way to handle controversial characters. But they don't always do it that way.

If anything the WTF character that got the least amount of hate was probably DHD. But, he was leaked along with other characters, so he wasn't really known last... and Dark Pit siphoned all the hate for himself.
Yeah, for some reason people genuinely thought that Dark Pit took the amount of work a full character would’ve and wasn’t just the team painting pit black and designing literally one move. It’s kinda hilarious Sakurai ever had to clarify this by creating the “echo” title, though it was a pretty smart move on his part. Chrom, a fire emblem echo of a clone character didn’t even receive any hate because of the echo thing.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
There's a lot of potential for cool and different alts when it comes to Fire Emblem. They could even take some of the good designs from FE Warriors or Heroes and I wouldn't mind.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yeah, for some reason people genuinely thought that Dark Pit took the amount of work a full character would’ve and wasn’t just the team painting pit black and designing literally one move. It’s kinda hilarious Sakurai ever had to clarify this by creating the “echo” title, though it was a pretty smart move on his part. Chrom, a fire emblem echo of a clone character didn’t even receive any hate because of the echo thing.
Dark Pit also got hate because of the amount of content Kid Icarus had in Smash 4 and that people thought the mere concept of him was appealing due to his extreme visual similarity to Pit.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Brawl Ridley.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dark Pit got hate for a lot of reasons.

But whenever a character gets hate people tend to chalk it up to reasons most easily dismissible. Like how the typical reaction over FE criticism stems solely from the belief that people simply dislike FE as a series, which is... a disingenuous representation. But that's another can of worms best not opened.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Pattern with Every Smash Character thus Far.

So, I’ve been doing some more research in hopes of finding something that could help us narrow down the characters and I think I finally have something interesting. It appears that every single Smash character thus far has one thing in common that I know of for sure. Each fighter in the game was either on a Nintendo console or a game in the series they are from was on a Nintendo console prior to their release in a Smash game. Let me explain that a little bit better because I posted this on Reddit and people were confused. Lets take Cloud for example, the character himself as well as FVII as a whole was never on a Nintendo console prior to his release in Smash. However, the series he is apart of (Final Fantasy) has had games on Nintendo consoles prior to his release in Smash, an example being the first Final Fantasy. The same thing applies to Joker. Persona 5 was never on a Nintendo console, but a game in his series Persona Q was. This rule applies to every character so far in the game and while it is not official, I am going to use it to confirm and decomfirm characters.

Assuming that this pattern continues to hold up we will not see characters like 2B, Kat, Sly Ratchet and Clank, Master Chief, and Dante.
Dante in particular was very close to getting in, but Sakurai posted on Twitter in November 2018 that all of the dlc fighters had been finalized. Devil may cry was ported to the Switch in 2020 I believe, so he would have missed his shot.

Characters that could be in based on the pattern are Ryu Hayabusa, Crash, Adol, Lloyd,
And a bunch of others.

as for now i am going to hold on to this pattern theory and use it to speculate our last 3 dlc.

If Ryu Hayabusa got in
Would he be called Ryu Hayabusa or just Hayabusa to better differentiate between Ryu and Ryu Hayabusa?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

So, I’ve been doing some more research in hopes of finding something that could help us narrow down the characters and I think I finally have something interesting. It appears that every single Smash character thus far has one thing in common that I know of for sure. Each fighter in the game was either on a Nintendo console or a game in the series they are from was on a Nintendo console prior to their release in a Smash game. Let me explain that a little bit better because I posted this on Reddit and people were confused. Lets take Cloud for example, the character himself as well as FVII as a whole was never on a Nintendo console prior to his release in Smash. However, the series he is apart of (Final Fantasy) has had games on Nintendo consoles prior to his release in Smash, an example being the first Final Fantasy. The same thing applies to Joker. Persona 5 was never on a Nintendo console, but a game in his series Persona Q was. This rule applies to every character so far in the game and while it is not official, I am going to use it to confirm and decomfirm characters.

Assuming that this pattern continues to hold up we will not see characters like 2B, Kat, Sly Ratchet and Clank, Master Chief, and Dante.
Dante in particular was very close to getting in, but Sakurai posted on Twitter in November 2018 that all of the dlc fighters had been finalized. Devil may cry was ported to the Switch in 2020 I believe, so he would have missed his shot.

Characters that could be in based on the pattern are Ryu Hayabusa, Crash, Adol, Lloyd,
And a bunch of others.

as for now i am going to hold on to this pattern theory and use it to speculate our last 3 dlc.
First: There are Devil May Cry games on the Switch.

Second: It's been officially stated that a prior Nintendo appearance is more of a courtesy than a requirement, disconfirming any sort of rule like this.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Brawl Ridley.
It's Ridley....but twice as big! Dare I say, too big for Smash.

Why stop at Warriors or Heroes? Why not Cipher too?

I'm not familiar with Cipher, but damn would that Corrin look nice in Smash. I love the Valkyrie look of the girl Corrin especially.

And a bunch of others.

I really wasn't joking last time, please introduce me to your coke dealer.

Last edited:

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
First: There are Devil May Cry games on the Switch.

Second: It's been officially stated that a prior Nintendo appearance is more of a courtesy than a requirement, disconfirming any sort of rule like this.
Im just saying the pattern holds up despite what nintendo has said. And when did devil may cry get put on switch. if it was after november 2018 then what i said still holds up

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
When it comes to alt costumes I'm mostly hoping for Garou Terry and maybe Casual Mega Man. Quint would also make for a good Mega Man alt. He's got shades, a different helmet, different shirt and wristbands on his gloves.

Beard Ryu would make the most sense for him, if not Evil Ryu or SF1 Ryu. But I like his Durag costume personally. Reminds me of a dock worker, while still being close straying too far from his character, unlike the B-Boy costume or Cowboy Ken.

EDIT: Like most people seem to want, given brawl mods, even if it would never happen, I also think Luigi getting Mr.L and Peach getting Shadow Queen would be clean.

Durag Ryu.jpg

Terry MOTW Ending.png
Normal MM.png
mega_man_tt_s_quint_by_justedesserts-d4hpfqx.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom