• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So I see people every now and again pushing for Agumon to get into Smash. Why Agumon? Doesn't he only have like one attack canonically? Why not go big with something more badass like Wargreymon? He's not that much bigger than an adult human (especially considering how massive his other evolutions are) so I don't think it would be that hard to fit him onto a smash bros stage. Just curious.
Because they havent given in to their real god, Don-chan yet

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The problem is that some people will consider X character deserves to be in Smash, but others won't. Like, very few characters would have a 100% positive consensus, and I'd argue all of them are already in the game. Maybe it's a minority but you can find people arguing against names such as Lara Croft or Crash Bandicoot.

Not to say, which things qualify as 'points' that makes a character more deserving? Some will think sales are a valid factor, others not so much because quality =/= popularity. Nowadays some will think not having Nintendo ties won't make a character less deserving, but there are people who wouldn't agree. And legacy it's a hard thing to measure.

SKX31

Smash Master
the characters that are fundamental to Nintendo as a company and 3rd party characters that are massive in impact and success. the more justification a character needs the less "deserving" a character is. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be here but there is a MASSIVE difference between being mario, pikachu,
cloud, or ryu and being game and watch, shulk, and others.

some franchises like FE blur this line I set but for the most part, I think it works relatively well.
Okay, lemme illustrate my problem with "massive in impact and success" by using the ever-present snag known as different regions:

This is a game that practically no one in JP / NA / EU have even heard of. Yet it's bigger than PUBG, Apex and Fortnite combined. Not kidding. It's popular in LatAm, SEA and India partly because it was optimized for and runs really well on low-end mobiles, giving Free Fire its 450 million registered users.

Those factors alone illustrate my problems with the definition: Sure, Free Fire is massive in impact and success, but Nintendo have not really touched this one yet (instead they've seen ports of Apex, Fortnite, PUBG and Knives Out IIRC, another mobile BR that's very popular in Japan).

To writ, Nintendo's only relatively recently solidified its presence in LatAm, SEA's one of Nintendo's primary expansion targets but the Switch does not sell huge numbers in the region at the moment, and when it comes to India Nintendo have sold consoles there in the past - but regulatory barriers means that the Switch is not officially sold there. It doesn't make much sense to include a Free Fire character when JP / NA / EU - which makes up the overwhelming majority of Nintendo's fans - would generally go "WHAT??!?" Why? Who?!" at the announcement.

And really, the inclusion of :4bayonetta: and :ultjoker: show that "massive" are not huge priorities to begin with, because really, neither those two are.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Also, Sakurai stating that characters should also be fun to play, not just recognizable. Something I feel has met the same fate as Sakurai saying the next Smash might be ten years away.
Honestly that statement means nothing. From Duck Hunt to Terry, Sakurai's proved that a character can be made fun and unique regardless of who or what they are, so in the end applying that statement doesn't change anything.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
are you going to actually post a definition of iconic and deserving to be in smash to have a discussion or just insult my definition?
well my definition of iconic is how many people know who they are and well they stand the test of time

but who "deserves" to be in smash brothers is a case by case basis, some characters "deserve" to be in for different reasons than others

why they are "deserving" can very from character to character, and how deserving they are can depend on who's already in the game.

also do any of our definitions even matter seeing as those words have actual definitions? and the fact that deserving to be in the game doesn't actually matter that much?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
are you going to actually post a definition of iconic and deserving to be in smash to have a discussion or just insult my definition?
"Deserving" and "iconic" seem to largely be up to personal opinion and what individual people have experienced. (I find that people are quick to discount characters or say that they don't deserve to be included if they haven't played the game(s) that the character is from)

There's not really a way to argue that certain characters are more "deserving" to get into Smash than others. Sure, there are some obvious examples where most people are going to recognize a character - Mario, Pikachu, Sonic, etc. - but at this point, with 80+ characters in Smash, everybody's going to have a different idea of what makes a character "iconic" enough or whether or not they "deserve" to get into Smash.

Take Dixie Kong and Lara Croft for example - some would argue that they've played a major enough part in the history of Nintendo or video games in general and should be in by now, while others will say that they aren't as important as the likes of K. Rool or Sephiroth, to use examples from the same series or company, respectively. Plus, Melee alone gave us the Ice Climbers (the main characters of a one-off NES game that would have otherwise been forgotten) and Roy (the main character of a game that wasn't out yet and wound up only releasing in Japan), so I'm not sure if that sort of thing matters in the grand scheme of things.

Mind you, they aren't going to add characters without rhyme or reason (it's not like we're going to get the likes of Leon from Dead or Alive instead of Ryu Hayabusa, or Dr. Paradigm from Guilty Gear instead of Sol Badguy), but there are plenty of options out there. Depending on what you've played, seen, or grew up with, characters like Ryu Hayabusa, Dixie Kong, Lara Croft, Dr. Eggman, Crash Bandicoot, and so on could all fit the bill.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Also, Sakurai stating that characters should also be fun to play, not just recognizable. Something I feel has met the same fate as Sakurai saying the next Smash might be ten years away.
He didn’t say that. What he said was

"When we released the original 64 version of Super Smash Brothers, I was often asked "Who is Samus?". Whether or not the character is fun to play as is more important than whether the character's new or old, or whether the character is recognizable to everyone."

Emphasis on the last part. Every DLC character is recognizable to some people but not every DLC is recognizable to everyone. I mean, we literally started this pass with :ultminmin.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
The definition of Iconic isn’t subjective, it always means “To be Well Known and Well Established”. The part where subjectivity comes into play is with how peoples experiences make them see certain things as icons. Mario is an icon to everyone, Steve however, may not be for some people.
You shouldn’t be sharing a definition of Iconic, you should be sharing how your experience makes you see something as iconic.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Remember kids, a character is deserving as long as they can commit yeetus Mario. As long as you can chuck him off the stage, you're good.
Smash 6 gets announced with a revamped roster to fit this. The only character planned on launch is Ness' back throw. When asked how that could commit yeetus Mario when Mario wasn't on the roster, Sakurai was seen saying "****, you right fam" and cancelled the game entirely
Hey so

not long after RCS retired as Sonic, this also happened:
we JUST got Byrce Papenbrook as Silver, who instantly ****ing became the definitive actor for the character to me, I will sit on my ass and do nothing but mumble in frustration

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The problem is that some people will consider X character deserves to be in Smash, but others won't. Like, very few characters would have a 100% positive consensus, and I'd argue all of them are already in the game. Maybe it's a minority but you can find people arguing against names such as Lara Croft or Crash Bandicoot.

Not to say, which things qualify as 'points' that makes a character more deserving? Some will think sales are a valid factor, others not so much because quality =/= popularity. Nowadays some will think not having Nintendo ties won't make a character less deserving, but there are people who wouldn't agree. And legacy it's a hard thing to measure.
Let's not forget the characters in the roster currently that people screamed didn't deserve to get into the game, until they actually got in, upon which they were then embraced as obviously deserving.

The amount of vitriol :ultkrool::ultridley: got prior to their confirmations vs the sudden reversal of public opinion to them being shoo ins after they got in was hilarious.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Let's not forget the characters in the roster currently that people screamed didn't deserve to get into the game, until they actually got in, upon which they were then embraced as obviously deserving.

The amount of vitriol :ultkrool::ultridley: got prior to their confirmations vs the sudden reversal of public opinion to them being shoo ins after they got in was hilarious.
That’s hindsight bias for you. If, say, a Rhythm Heaven character got in as DLC, a lot of the same people who would have dismissed the character as “minor” and “unlikely” otherwise would turn around and defend them as “obvious in hindsight” and “deserving”.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

It's funny because the opposite is also true. Wii fit trainer was one of Nintendo biggest Wii games and arguably one of the most recongizable character on the whole roster by casual, yet she was one of the most controversial pick of Smash 4.

CosmicLuma

Smash Rookie

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Five years ago... where did the time go?

I remember watching Etika's stream that day. Man, how time flies. Both characters took me by surprise honestly. Although both of them are seen as controversial inclusions by many even to this day, I still do appreciate both of them being in the game.

(Even though 2/3rd of Fates sucks really hard lol)

CosmicLuma

Smash Rookie
That’s easy - Male Corrin has an ahoge, Female Corrin doesn’t

yes am weeb and I ain’t afraid to admit it
No shame in being a weeb ^^
Looks like that rumor might be right in terms of a massive shakeup to the Sonic voice cast.
Honestly was bound to happen sucks but ngl i’m quite excited for a new cast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom