• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Looks like it's a projectile-users tournament this week.
Again? Didn't we have one with the same theme a bit before Steve?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So, as a fun thought experiment, I decided to look into "magic systems" for RPGs and look at how they're translated from the original game to Smash Bros and see if I could translate a few RPG magic systems myself.

:ultrobin: Uses spells limited in durability depending on their tome. Spells are from a random assortment of tiers. Elwind resembles its Awakening incarnation as 2 wind blades, Arcfire and its posing resembles the basic fire spell in the GBA Fire Emblem games. Thunder goes through all 4 tiers, Thoron (the beam) specifically resembles its Awakening incarnation.
:ulthero3:Uses 3 elemental spells that level up in tiers with how charged they are (Frizz, Zap, Woosh). The final tier of Zap, Kazap, resembles the animation commonly associated with Gigaslash. Along with those 3 spells, he has a custom command menu that accesses a myriad amount of projectiles, slashes, buffs, and explosions. Psyche Up in particular reference a system of building up "tension" to unleash a single powerful attack that isn't present in most Dragon Quests.
:ultcloud::Does not actually use any magic spells from his original game. Rather he uses limit breaks as special attacks. Filling the limit bar, instead of allowing usage of these limits like in the base game, "powers up" the limit breaks into special blue variants. This is similar to how the limit bar functions in Dissidia. When the limit bar is full, he also gains access to Finishing Touch, though instead of a tornado projectile, it is a spinning slash, similar-ish to Dissidia.
:ultsephiroth::Uses the Flare family of spells. His boss fight only uses Flare in the Japanese version and the upgraded levels are Final Fantasy mainstays, but never used by Sephiroth. Shadow Flare is introduced in the overseas version of FF7 and functions similarly to how it does in Dissidia, as a tracking series of dark orbs. Scintilla is a Dissidia original, with the hexagonal shield being lifted directly from the game, though its animation is altered to not include the stab. Also uses generic "dark" attacks for some normals.
:ultzelda:: Uses Link's spells from Ocarina of Time, though they vary wildly from their original game. She also summons a posessed suit of armor from Spirit Tracks. Uses generic "light" magic for her normals as well. (up air is a huge fire explosion though)
:ultjoker::Uses the "curse" family of spells, a line of magic that is usually reserved for instant kill attacks that had reintroduced standard attacks in P5. The residual damage over time effect is original to Smash Bros.
:ultness::ultlucas:: Use various spells, or "PSI/PK" from their original games, though most aren't learnt from the user, but rather their party members. Also uses a generic sort of magical attacks for their non-special attacks.
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultgreninja::ultincineroar: Use various "moves" from the original games. Some have altered functionality (Rest, Confusion, Revenge etc).

I was thinking about what other RPG series they could somehow translate to Smash.
  • Trails/Kiseki: Could cast spells that have a delayed effect until activation but a wide AoE, encouraging playing around spells rather than casting and forgetting. (Orbal Arts System)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Could cast spells that allow the user to follow up with attacks if it lands successfully (Press Turn System)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Could use the alternative forms of KH brand magic wherein they function differently and allow the user to move while casting or use them mid combo and borrow KH's MP Gauge where recharging doesn't work until all MP is used up. (MP Charge system)
  • Nier: Could use Pod Programs/Sealed Verses which aren't cast from the user itself, but from their assistant character that floats beside them (Pod/Grimoire System)
Any other magic or skill systems you think could be implemented to Smash?

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So do we consider this a blow to any projectile-heavy character in general, just one for CP9, is it only an issue if we get a reveal in the next couple weeks, or does it mean nothing? I'm curious as to the general consensus on these events and what they mean.
I posted something similiar to this in the Reimu thread

But Personally I think this means we at least won't get a Projectile heavy character as CP9, Whether it be Reimu, KOS-MOS, Fortnite, Apex Legends, etc.

I also imagine, especially for a character like Reimu, who's Home series is all about Projectiles, that a Projectile based tourney would be their Hypothetical Character specfic tourney that every DLC character gets. Now I think perhaps they might hypothetically have something else in mind...but I don't know. I definitely don't want to say Reimu is definitly not in after this, and I don't think you should count any projectile heavy character out just yet. It's up to you though?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Looks like it's a projectile-users tournament this week.
Axe, Arrow, PSI, Missile.
Long ago, the projectile-users lived together in harmony.
Then everything changed when the PK Fire Nation attacked.

838C981D-0E01-4ECC-94D4-749625D7124F.jpeg

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So, as a fun thought experiment, I decided to look into "magic systems" for RPGs and look at how they're translated from the original game to Smash Bros and see if I could translate a few RPG magic systems myself.

:ultrobin: Uses spells limited in durability depending on their tome. Spells are from a random assortment of tiers. Elwind resembles its Awakening incarnation as 2 wind blades, Arcfire and its posing resembles the basic fire spell in the GBA Fire Emblem games. Thunder goes through all 4 tiers, Thoron (the beam) specifically resembles its Awakening incarnation.
:ulthero3:Uses 3 elemental spells that level up in tiers with how charged they are (Frizz, Zap, Woosh). The final tier of Zap, Kazap, resembles the animation commonly associated with Gigaslash. Along with those 3 spells, he has a custom command menu that accesses a myriad amount of projectiles, slashes, buffs, and explosions. Psyche Up in particular reference a system of building up "tension" to unleash a single powerful attack that isn't present in most Dragon Quests.
:ultcloud::Does not actually use any magic spells from his original game. Rather he uses limit breaks as special attacks. Filling the limit bar, instead of allowing usage of these limits like in the base game, "powers up" the limit breaks into special blue variants. This is similar to how the limit bar functions in Dissidia. When the limit bar is full, he also gains access to Finishing Touch, though instead of a tornado projectile, it is a spinning slash, similar-ish to Dissidia.
:ultsephiroth::Uses the Flare family of spells. His boss fight only uses Flare in the Japanese version and the upgraded levels are Final Fantasy mainstays, but never used by Sephiroth. Shadow Flare is introduced in the overseas version of FF7 and functions similarly to how it does in Dissidia, as a tracking series of dark orbs. Scintilla is a Dissidia original, with the hexagonal shield being lifted directly from the game, though its animation is altered to not include the stab. Also uses generic "dark" attacks for some normals.
:ultzelda:: Uses Link's spells from Ocarina of Time, though they vary wildly from their original game. She also summons a processed suit of armor from Spirit Tracks.
:ultjoker::Uses the "curse" family of spells, a line of magic that is usually reserved for instant kill attacks that had reintroduced standard attacks in P5. The residual damage over time effect is original to Smash Bros.
:ultness::ultlucas:: Use various spells, or "PSI/PK" from their original games, though most aren't learnt from the user, but rather their party members. Also uses a generic sort of magical attacks for their non-special attacks.
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultgreninja::ultincineroar: Use various "moves" from the original games. Some have altered functionality (Rest, Confusion, Revenge etc).

I was thinking about what other RPG series they could somehow translate to Smash.
  • Trails/Kiseki: Could cast spells that have a delayed effect until activation but a wide AoE, encouraging playing around spells rather than casting and forgetting. (Orbal Arts System)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Could cast spells that allow the user to follow up with attacks if it lands successfully (Press Turn System)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Could use the alternative forms of KH brand magic wherein they function differently and allow the user to move while casting or use them mid combo and borrow KH's MP Gauge where recharging doesn't work until all MP is used up. (MP Charge system)
  • Nier: Could use Pod Programs/Sealed Verses which aren't cast from the user itself, but from their assistant character that floats beside them (Pod/Grimoire System)
Ys has a couple. The first is Ys II's, which would just be a standard mana meter. The second is VI's, which would function more like Cloud's Limit Breaks in that you wait for them to fill up before you can use it. Then there's Oath in Felghana's, which is more like a layered cooldown that keeps you from spamming it too much. Last is the Seven-onwards style, which would be something like Hero's MP Gauge (Though a lot of the skills could just be adapted into normals).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't want to be that guy but seeing 2B as a Platinum Games character, when she's fully owned by Square Enix... Though I guess it's because Platinum Games barely owns anything so people have been choosing her by association.
I put her as a Platinum Games character because I'm not even sure if Platinum owns any games/franchises - by my understanding, the situation with the Wonderful 101 is ambiguous (going by Wikipedia, Nintendo partially owns the copyright for the game and fully owns the trademark as of the time that development on the remaster started, but I'm not sure if that's still accurate), and as far as I know, that's all that they own aside from Project G.G., which we know next to nothing about.

However, I had to put something, so I counted that spot as any game that Platinum worked on.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't want to be that guy but seeing 2B as a Platinum Games character, when she's fully owned by Square Enix... Though I guess it's because Platinum Games barely owns anything so people have been choosing her by association.
I woulda said Legionis from Astral Chain but Nintendo fully owns them too so

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I put her as a Platinum Games character because I'm not even sure if Platinum owns any games/franchises - by my understanding, the situation with the Wonderful 101 is ambiguous (going by Wikipedia, Nintendo partially owns the copyright for the game and fully owns the trademark as of the time that development on the remaster started, but I'm not sure if that's still accurate), and as far as I know, that's all that they own aside from Project G.G., which we know next to nothing about.

However, I had to put something, so I counted that spot as any game that Platinum worked on.
Yeah, I understand. As far as I know Wonderful 101 is the only thing they own in some way (co-owned between them and Nintendo, in this case).

I woulda said Legionis from Astral Chain but Nintendo fully owns them too so
That's another option I guess. I'd have added another company instead of Platinum Games to be honest.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
So do we consider this a blow to any projectile-heavy character in general, just one for CP9, is it only an issue if we get a reveal in the next couple weeks, or does it mean nothing? I'm curious as to the general consensus on these events and what they mean.
I just want to remind people that these events DO NOT MATTER in most cases. The reason why people were observant of these events before was because we knew that there was some delay with Fighter 7 who would end up being Steve because the file names for the images of those tourneys had their numbering out of order and some of these online tourney events were skipped.

The running theory was that Fighter 7 was delayed and the skipped tourneys were ones that featured Fighter 7 and they got pushed back down the line while future online tourney events that didn't have Fighter 7 were chose to take its place. The tourneys in question were about the lightest weight fighters and fighters that don't use projectiles. Because of this, we inferred that Fighter 7 would not be a super light weight and would have projectiles (which kinda doesn't really narrow it down in the grand scheme of things but I do remember Geno guys noting that Geno does in fact shoot things from his arms.)

And of course this was correct, Steve is a middleweight and he does have projectiles albeit highly unconventional ones.

So don't worry about about your favourite character being deconfirmed for next slot because they use a gun or something else that would count as a projectile, the situation that happened with Steve was highly situational and won't happen again unless there is another delay for a DLC fighter (or if the image file name does indeed show it's a tourney event out of order).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
A staggering amount of characters would be disconfirmed for FP9 if the event hinted at something, particularly if it's a skipped tournament like with the non-projectile tournament.

However I doubt there will be any tourney number skipping here.
Yeah. I can't think of any likely characters that would completely lack projectiles.

ZelDan

Smash Master

:ultzelda:: Uses Link's spells from Ocarina of Time, though they vary wildly from their original game. She also summons a processed suit of armor from Spirit Tracks. Uses generic "light" magic for her normals as well. (up air is a huge fire explosion though)

Golden Sun: Psynergy/Djinn could be interesting if Sakurai went really deep/crazy with it, and maybe had something where using Djinn for powerful attacks would come at the cost of weaker psynergy attacks for a certain amount of time.

txhy8

Smash Cadet
I'd like to see a huge smash roster for 2021 with 1,000 fighters ,I know about how much effort comes into making a a roster that big but i'd like to see it.

I'd like to see a huge smash roster for 2021 with 1,000 fighters ,I know about how much effort comes into making a a roster that big but i'd like to see it.
I think we can all agree though with a roster this big there's gotta be some non gaming charters thrown in there too for some variety of charters not just ones from Video Games

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
For a Smash Fan Roster i've seen rosters bigger and thats what i'm looking for not a actual roster thing
Because they're just putting characters in an image, not modeling, animating, programming, balancing, and getting the license for them.

Last edited:

txhy8

Smash Cadet
Because they're just putting characters in an image, not modeling, animating, programming, and balancing them.
Okay lets get straight to the point i want a Smash fan roster updated for 2021,and a big one considering how big some of the rosters of this threads past have been.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Nah. Even if we reach that magic number of 1000 characters, we wouldn't need Anime or Movie characters to fill it. I mean, Pokemon alone can reach around 900 characters. Heck, I'll give it a shot. I'll make a roster consisting only Video game characters using only a fair number of Pokemon.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I think we can all agree though with a roster this big there's gotta be some non gaming charters thrown in there too for some variety of charters not just ones from Video Games
Can you not double post please? Double posting is only allowed if there's no posts after 24 hours, which doesn't happen here. Use the edit button instead.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and a big one considering how big some of the rosters of this threads past have been.
Again, those fan rosters are able to be so big because they're not actually making a game.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
Nah. Even if we reach that magic number of 1000 characters, we wouldn't need Anime or Movie characters to fill it. I mean, Pokemon alone can reach around 900 characters. Heck, I'll give it a shot. I'll make a roster consisting only Video game characters using only a fair number of Pokemon.
Real talk. I would buy a Pokemon game in the style of smash in a heartbeat.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
All this talk about adding characters to Smash is making me think about what would happen if you were to take the roster of one crossover fighter (say PSASBR for example) and transplant them into Smash. I've been musing on the idea all day, mainly thinking about (NERD ALERT) what would happen if they were to be put through SCP-914 together.
I'm certain a select few of you will know what I'm talking about, hence why it's spoilered.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Hey, I found this while I was browsing Twitter:

Figured we could use this for a nice bit of "character per company" discussion.
Well, here's mine (a little bit late):

Pretty varied, huh

Never really liked or cared about Photorealistic games which includes Halo and maybe Doom, like seriously since when did that become a trend, especially in PlayStation and Xbox?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, here's mine (a little bit late):

Pretty varied, huh

Never really liked or cared about Photorealistic games which includes Halo and maybe Doom, like seriously since when did that become a trend, especially in PlayStation and Xbox?
N3ON N3ON before I try that joke again, are there any characters named "None, Don't Care" or "Anyone"?

Ivander

Smash Legend
All this talk about adding characters to Smash is making me think about what would happen if you were to take the roster of one crossover fighter (say PSASBR for example) and transplant them into Smash. I've been musing on the idea all day, mainly thinking about (NERD ALERT) what would happen if they were to be put through SCP-914 together.
I'm certain a select few of you will know what I'm talking about, hence why it's spoilered.
I mean, one copy of Smash Bros. Ultimate put on Fine became "Super Smash Brothers: Ultimate" with all the characters replaced by SCPs and Foundation Personnel.........until it had to be incinerated when SCP-096's silhouette appeared in the Challenger Approaching screen.

That said, also got to hope that SCP-914 is in the mood to make the intended result, since it has some control over what gets outputted. Got to hope it gives the results that are wanted and doesn't include something that can literally kill the player/players. Or SCP-914-chan.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
That said, also got to hope that SCP-914 is in the mood to make the intended result, since it has some control over what gets outputted. Got to hope it gives the results that are wanted and doesn't include something that can literally kill the player/players. Or SCP-914-chan.
I feel like so long as it's not Darby that's operating it, it should be at least 87.5 percent okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom