• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think it was translated as 'God Slayer Bowser' for Japanese, but overseas, we get the babied version.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don’t see why Nintendo would choose an Apex character over Fortnite. Fortnite is waaaay more popular. I don’t think it’d be a price issue either. EA is EA & would want a lot of money. Epic might even lower the price since they’re currently going crossover crazy & would see Smash as another way to continue that.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think it was translated as 'God Slayer Bowser' for Japanese, but overseas, we get the babied version.
1612292696524.png

According to the wiki, it's still Fury Bowser in Japanese. It's in katakana (Foreign words with Japanese letters), so they can't mistranslate it into something like God-Slayer Bowser.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I don’t see why Nintendo would choose an Apex character over Fortnite. Fortnite is waaaay more popular. I don’t think it’d be a price issue either. EA is EA & would want a lot of money. Epic might even lower the price since they’re currently going crossover crazy & would see Smash as another way to continue that.
Yeah and APEX character is just straight up not coming. People said Steve came in to represent the newer generation of gamers / children, but Minecraft is like 10 years old, its impact and legacy is already well established. Even Fortnite has a far stronger legacy than APEX. If we're getting another zoomer character, then it'll be Jonesy.

Then again, Terry made it into the game before someone from Tekken, so we do have precedent for a less prominent series making it into Smash before another in the same genre.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Not really

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
That isnt actually the name at all. Matt McMuscles joked about nit and everyone took is seroiusly

Pillow

Smash Lord
So, not related to any current discussion but, which characters would you guys like to see in Smash based solely on their moveset potential / which character from a series you're relatively unfamiliar with do you think would be fun to play?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
So, not related to any current discussion but, which characters would you guys like to see in Smash based solely on their moveset potential / which character from a series you're relatively unfamiliar with do you think would be fun to play?
Doom Guy. Granted I'm not unfamiliar with the series as I've been playing a lot lately. Same goes for Ori

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
which characters would you guys like to see in Smash based solely on their moveset potential
Kunio.

His brawler moveset seems tailor-made for Smash. He has such a massive list of moves in Rival Showdown I think he has the entire Smash moveset covered already.

It also happens to be an extremely fun, over-the-top, fighting moveset.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Saki. Screw the N64 controller, but don't screw that music and moveset potential.

Firox

Smash Master
Not really
Nope. In my own head-canon, they will always be God-Slayer Bowser™ and Super Saiyan Mario™

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
1. A Sim (from The Sims Obvs) could have a Hilarious Moveset for a Joke Character, and I'd love to see what the Team could come up with for them.

2. Shantae.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Probably someone like Sora.
Quick movements, elemental/magical attacks, and multi-slashes would be pretty fun to toy around with.

Also, Amaterasu would probably be pretty fun to play with as well, even more than Duck Hunt I'd imagine; especially if her attacks would be drawn out before or during their executions.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Kunio.

His brawler moveset seems tailor-made for Smash. He has such a massive list of moves in Rival Showdown I think he has the entire Smash moveset covered already.

It also happens to be an extremely fun, over-the-top, fighting moveset.
Axel Sto-

View attachment 301583

I-I mean Sgt. Cortez.

Time to Split.
I have to say I'm very surprised you two are unfamiliar with these characters since you stan them so hard :238:

Tbh, Shantae.
Same

Piggybacking off my own question, do you guys have any opposite characters where you can't imagine yourself enjoying playing them but just really like their visual design or just respect the character itself.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sora. From what I've seen, he'd have absurd combo potential, especially if they go really in-depth with the mechanics. Lloyd's a similar case, essentially being Terry with swords; In other words, a combination of what my mains tend to be.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I haven't really played Klonoa but seeing some of their gameplay has me intrigued to see what they could do in Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I haven't really played Klonoa but seeing some of their gameplay has me intrigued to see what they could do in Smash.
Klonoa would be interesting because his Wind Ring would make him a lightweight grappler, which are two attributes that don't usually mix. Most grappler characters are big heavyweights, and we don't even have many of them in Smash either, so it'd be especially interesting to apply the throws to what's essentially a junior Sonic character. Heck, we could even have him grab you in the air and carry you around like Donkey Kong.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Ammy and Sora

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't think it's the focus on Special Moves so much as the polarizing nature of them. Piranha Plant in particular has the issue of pretty meh normals, but there are other characters like Simon who's normals are a contributor to matchup difficulties (Forward Tilt gives characters like Fox problems, the heck is Ganondorf gonna do about it?).

Though to be fair, having a kit that doesn't quite mesh together is one of the fastest ways to make a "can beat gimmick = win & can't beat gimmick = no win" checklist, and Piranha Plant fits there.
Absolutely, I just worded my thoughts pretty poorly there. I don't blame Sakurai and co there - after all, it's difficult to design normals when a character's legs is practically a pipe / pot.

A possible way to give it more interesting normals (outside of balancing its existing toolkit) might be to incorporate poison, the spiked ball or something else into a couple of its normals - Back Air involves neither but is an interesting normal attack. It's just that it has severe issues of its own: like having so much endlag one could mow an entire lawn infested with weeds before Plant can do anything else :4pacman:. Regardless, yeah, I'd say please buff Plant's normals and give them more use. Even if it means toning down its specials.

That could also serve as a possible template for any other plant-based newcomers (say any plant Pokemon or Plants vs. Zombies just to name two examples). I mean, if :ultpiranha: doesn't suffer internal combustion from spitting fire, feel free to go nuts.

View attachment 301578
According to the wiki, it's still Fury Bowser in Japanese. It's in katakana (Foreign words with Japanese letters), so they can't mistranslate it into something like God-Slayer Bowser.
Wut.png

Best name for this transformation, and I'm not going to chance my mind. Ever.

First party, Style Savvy.

Third party, Chell, just because Portals would change a ton by itself.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Klonoa would be interesting because his Wind Ring would make him a lightweight grappler, which are two attributes that don't usually mix. Most grappler characters are big heavyweights, and we don't even have many of them in Smash either, so it'd be especially interesting to apply the throws to what's essentially a junior Sonic character. Heck, we could even have him grab you in the air and carry you around like Donkey Kong.
Within the context of Smash, it could be argued that Mewtwo can be considered a lightweight grappler in the sense that he has extremely powerful kill throws and a really awful disadvantage state. But yeah that concept sounds pretty nice, I honestly know nothing about Klonoa.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Within the context of Smash, it could be argued that Mewtwo can be considered a lightweight grappler in the sense that he has extremely powerful kill throws and a really awful disadvantage state. But yeah that concept sounds pretty nice, I honestly know nothing about Klonoa.
Mainly I'm counting grapplers as characters that are focused on grabs, like Donkey Kong's cargo throws and Incineroar's buffs. Mewtwo struck me as a more general "tricky" character, though I'm not that well-versed with fighting game archetypes.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Mainly I'm counting grapplers as characters that are focused on grabs, like Donkey Kong's cargo throws and Incineroar's buffs. Mewtwo struck me as a more general "tricky" character, though I'm not that well-versed with fighting game archetypes.
It's kind of hard to evaluate grappler as an archetype for Smash, just because of how differently Smash operates from traditional fighting games. Grapplers usually refers to characters that struggle to approach, but are monsters if they manage to close in, with the usual matchup triangle being grappler > rushdown > zoner > grappler.

DK, Ganon and Incineroar definitely have the feel of Grapplers, but If we're gonna call grab-centric characters that translate grabs into damaging combos, then honestly characters like the Mario Brothers would fit into this category the best.

Firox

Smash Master
When I think of "lightweight grappler" I imagine Diddy Kong doing his Side B and clinging to people's faces. lol The idea of a fast, agile, lightweight grappler dancing around the stage and throwing people back and forth just sounds annoyingly hilarious to play against.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If we are going solely by moveset potential, I am going with either Arle Nadje or Reimu. I wanted to choose characters I like for this but not ones I am as familiar with as others.

I am more familiar with Puyo, but my main experiences with it are Puyo Puyo Fever and Puyo Puyo Tetris. Honestly, I just really want to see a puzzle game character envisioned in smash. I love the idea of using Puyos as a resource and building up to an explosive combo. I love shmups so Reimu would be an ideal choice for that imo. It helps that she is human instead of, well, a ship like most shmup choices. Honestly, this is more where I think the genre itself offers something awesome moveset wise.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
When I think of "lightweight grappler" I imagine Diddy Kong doing his Side B and clinging to people's faces. lol The idea of a fast, agile, lightweight grappler dancing around the stage and throwing people back and forth just sounds annoyingly hilarious to play against.
Thankfully, the Wind Ring seems to have a bit of wind-up and probably doesn't go as far as Diddy. That, and his games seem to be a bit slower-paced. I'd imagine he'd specialize in grabs, projectiles, and air control, balanced out by fragility and a relatively slow movement speed.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah and APEX character is just straight up not coming. People said Steve came in to represent the newer generation of gamers / children, but Minecraft is like 10 years old, its impact and legacy is already well established. Even Fortnite has a far stronger legacy than APEX. If we're getting another zoomer character, then it'll be Jonesy.

Then again, Terry made it into the game before someone from Tekken, so we do have precedent for a less prominent series making it into Smash before another in the same genre.
Tbf, I think that’s because Sakurai struggled with properly representing Tekken in Smash.

Ori, especially because he(?) got so many cool new moves in the second game; it’s almost as if they were prepping him(?) for Smash. The games being amazing also helps though lol

Shovel Knight is another one too, I think he’d be a ton of fun. Buuut he’s also from a game I really liked & I’m dying to get some SK music in Smash.

As for the unfamiliar part, Lloyd & Yuri seem like they’d be fun for me. But I like a lot of the swordies already.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I have to say I'm very surprised you two are unfamiliar with these characters since you stan them so hard
I thought the "which character from a series you're relatively unfamiliar with do you think would be fun to play?" part was a second, separate question.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hey, I found this while I was browsing Twitter:

Figured we could use this for a nice bit of "character per company" discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom