• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We have to have a character DLC that’s like poetry and therefore rhymes.
Adol Christin? More like Adol is in!
Hey, I found this while I was browsing Twitter:

Figured we could use this for a nice bit of "character per company" discussion.
Platinum doesn't own a single ****ing thing outside of W101 lmao, sounds like a way to go "Please acknowledge my fav"....

God, I wish the remaster made the game more popular but nobody seems to remember it's been out for almost a year

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Adol Christin? More like Adol is in!
Platinum doesn't own a single ****ing thing outside of W101 lmao, sounds like a way to go "Please acknowledge my fav"....

God, I wish the remaster made the game more popular but nobody seems to remember it's been out for almost a year
Yeah, no wonder it took a Kickstarter to get that one ported...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, no wonder it took a Kickstarter to get that one ported...
Oh no, judging by how long the kickstarter was up, the ports were already finished, the kickstarter was for cash to publish the game by themselves. It's pretty scummy imo but I'm currently more concerned with Platinum having Bayo 3, Babylon's Fall or whatever it was called and Project GG all get announced a while ago with 2 of those having no ****ing work to show for them

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Wonderful 101 Remastered is weird because it was obviously a Nintendo game. The references throughout, like Lowrule and Cowrule just to name a few off the top, proves that. However, it being a Platinum title now just feels... odd. Like Nintendo obviously had no problem publishing it, I think it was even confirmed that was the case by a Platinum Developer. Weirdly the Kickstarter seemed kind of... greedy? Like, yeah it’s a game that more people deserved to play but it was already done on switch, all it needed to do is be ported. And if Nintendo had published it it may have been a little more successful since the game could have had at least SOME marketing to it.

Its also clear that the fundraising was mostly meant to judge whether or not people wanted it. It didn’t need the money so it can only be assumed a lot of the funding went towards some of their other projects. Yeah I dunno. The whole thing is weird and I would have preferred if they had just let Nintendo publish it. Maybe then it would’ve gotten a spotlight like Pikmin 3, Origami King, and Age of Calamity got this year. Instead, pretty much the only people that played W101 Remastered are the backers. And for what is easily one of my favorite Wii U games, it’s just a damn shame.

Edit: It is pretty telling that, apparently, Astral Chain did really good and that was published by Nintendo and so did the Bayonetta Switch collection so it’s weird that Platinum wanted this game, of all games, to be a self publish when working with Nintendo on it may have proven more beneficial. It’s also noteworthy that some deal may have been struck regarding Astral Chain transferring to Nintendo fully like how Platinum was transferred W101 in full.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Here is my list but good lord was that huge for a picture. The picture size, not the file size, the giant file size was my fault.

Smash things smaller.png

Last edited:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Who is your least favorite character, but you think still deserves to be in Smash?

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Who is your least favorite character, but you think should still be in Smash?
You mean, like, who is our least favorite character that we think has a decent probability of getting in Smash or deserves to be in Smash?

Firox

Smash Master
Deserves.
OK, hmmmm. That's an interesting question since people on here would debate ad nauseum what makes a character "deserving" in the first place since virtually anyone's definition would spark accusations of entitlement.

That said, I'd have to go with any new Animal Crossing characters. Considering the sheer size, relevance and success of the franchise, I think there's a good argument for why it would deserve another rep, however, I find their characters to be incredibly campy and trolly by nature, hence I'd be less than enthused to see the likes of Tom Nook or Mr. Resetti find their way into Smash.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
OK, hmmmm. That's an interesting question since people on here would debate ad nauseum what makes a character "deserving" in the first place since virtually anyone's definition would spark accusations of entitlement.

That said, I'd have to go with any new Animal Crossing characters. Considering the sheer size, relevance and success of the franchise, I think there's a good argument for why it would deserve another rep, however, I find their characters to be incredibly campy and trolly by nature, hence I'd be less than enthused to see the like of Tom Nook or Mr. Resetti find their way into Smash.
But imagine Tom Nook with some cash collecting gimmick like that hotdog guy from slap city. Insta-main tbh.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know you guys like talking about when unexpected franchises come to Nintendo. Food for thought, I suppose?

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Huh, looks like our EA rep is neither Apex Legends nor The Sims...

just kidding but can you imagine

just hope they don’t use Andromeda as a reference

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Nintendo: Chorus kid or Tibby (Rhythm heaven)
Namco: Donchan (Taiko no Tatsujin)
Capcom: Phoenix Wright
Sega: Ulala (space channel 5)
Atlus: Don't know (never played anything from them aside from P5). From what I've seen Demi-fiend could be cool.
Konami: Pyramid head
Microsoft: Master chief
SNK: Metal slug
Square enix: 2B
Platinum games: Wonder red (there's really no other choice)
Ubisoft: Rayman
Koei tecmo: Ryu Hayabusa
Bethesda: Doom slayer
Activision: Spyro
Arcsystem: Never played their game, so Sol badguy because he's the more discussed
Blizzard: Diablo
Sony: Sackboy
Valve: Heavy
Indie: Cadence
Other: Scorpion (Mortal kombat)

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Pretend Square is Disney and Pretend Platinum is Square Enix.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord

Pretend Square is Disney and Pretend Platinum is Square Enix.
Hm wow pretty much the same list as I would've done, except you have Sakura over Kiryu, some anime girl instead of Hayabusa, and some kind of sushi thing I don't recognize in place of Jin Kazama.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...some kind of sushi thing I don't recognize in place of Jin Kazama.
Actually that's a drum
To expand upon this, that be Taiko from Taiko no Tatsujin. Don't recognize him? That's because basically all of his games are Japanese only. He did recently get a game ported in English though, so if you like Rhythm games, you might want to check it out.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Here's the results that I came up with, though since Platinum Games only owns the Wonderful 101 (and even then, that's ambiguous - I think I've seen someone from Platinum say that Nintendo gave them permission to port the game to non-Nintendo consoles, but Platinum would have to cover the cost), I'm going to use that spot for any game that Platinum's worked on.

I apologize for the poor picture quality; I was in a bit of a rush. Admittedly, I know very little about Atlus, but the only other Persona game that I've played is Persona 4 - I didn't want to go with the protagonist again, but I wasn't sure if I should go with one of the other characters, so I went with the one character that I know of from one of their other franchises.

EDIT: actually, replace Scorpion with Travis Touchdown - I forgot about him when I was filling this out.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Who is your least favorite character, but you think still deserves to be in Smash?
Mmm...probably Sora. I don't really care about Sora as a character, and I actively dislike Kingdom Hearts as a franchise(I think Nomura ruins everything the touches). But I can't seriously argue he's not iconic enough to be in Smash.

Here's the results that I came up with
sniff It's beautiful, man...

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Deserving is a subjective term, and I don't outright hate any options (Besides Viridi), but for this question I'd have to go with Chun-Li. I definitely understand just how big she is as a character, but I don't have much personal connection to Street Fighter, she doesn't really hook me in terms of character, gameplay, and whatnot, and there's just other fighting game characters I'd rather have over her (Re: Sol). That, and I feel her chances are being overshot a little after Sephiroth. Smash just doesn't stick to the new precedents it sets for itself; It just breaks it and moves on to another.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I take great pride in the unlikeliness of some of my choices.

View attachment 301615

If you contend Impa, take it up with AoC's split copyright. 🤷‍♀️
It's really funny how popular Fio is, at least relative to Metal Slug's popularity. Though honestly, if we do get a Metal Slug playable character, I'd just bet money on the whole squad of them getting in seeing as they're basically palette swaps of each other in their own game anyway.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I know you guys like talking about when unexpected franchises come to Nintendo. Food for thought, I suppose?

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I have no faith in current Bioware, all of the employees that made Bioware are gone. It's just a walking corpse on puppet strings. I will be surprised if this ends up being above slightly better than Warcraft Reforged.

And besides it's another western 3rd party franchise with barely popularity in Japan.

SKX31

Smash Master
Its also clear that the fundraising was mostly meant to judge whether or not people wanted it. It didn’t need the money so it can only be assumed a lot of the funding went towards some of their other projects. Yeah I dunno. The whole thing is weird and I would have preferred if they had just let Nintendo publish it. Maybe then it would’ve gotten a spotlight like Pikmin 3, Origami King, and Age of Calamity got this year. Instead, pretty much the only people that played W101 Remastered are the backers. And for what is easily one of my favorite Wii U games, it’s just a damn shame.

Edit: It is pretty telling that, apparently, Astral Chain did really good and that was published by Nintendo and so did the Bayonetta Switch collection so it’s weird that Platinum wanted this game, of all games, to be a self publish when working with Nintendo on it may have proven more beneficial. It’s also noteworthy that some deal may have been struck regarding Astral Chain transferring to Nintendo fully like how Platinum was transferred W101 in full.
Might have a lot to do with how Platinum works (and "works"). The real money likely came - partly - from Tencent, who bought a minority share in Platinum so Platinum could explore self-publishing.

Which doesn't really change the fact that Platinum's decision was strange - then again, that might be due to Platinum wanting to avoid legal issues while self publishing or whatever.

Here is my list but good lord was that file size was huge for a picture.
Ah yes, Dunno, the protagonist of Project GG. Well Played.

:4pacman:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's really funny how popular Fio is, at least relative to Metal Slug's popularity. Though honestly, if we do get a Metal Slug playable character, I'd just bet money on the whole squad of them getting in seeing as they're basically palette swaps of each other in their own game anyway.
It's like how Velma is the most popular when obviously the best character is Scrappy Doo.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Looks like it's a projectile-users tournament this week.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

idk doesn't seem any different from normal wifi

SharkLord

Smash Hero

So do we consider this a blow to any projectile-heavy character in general, just one for CP9, is it only an issue if we get a reveal in the next couple weeks, or does it mean nothing? I'm curious as to the general consensus on these events and what they mean.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So do we consider this a blow to any projectile-heavy character in general, just one for CP9, is it only an issue if we get a reveal in the next couple weeks, or does it mean nothing? I'm curious as to the general consensus on these events and what they mean.
Seeing as how the 90’s tournament happening long before Sephiroth didn’t rule him out, imma say this means nothing in the long run

there was also a lightweight tourney before him. Just sayin’

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom