• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Ive been hearing alot of talk about Lloyd and Yuri taking up the same slot in the fighters pass. I dont get how that works. Lloyd has 2 swords, Yuri has one. she wouldnt really be an alt for lloyd with one sword

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm not familiar with Cipher, but damn would that Corrin look nice in Smash.
Wait what?

looks back

Oh, I thought that was a Xander costume. lol

Im just saying the pattern holds up despite what nintendo has said. And when did devil may cry get put on switch. if it was after november 2018 then what i said still holds up
Ah, the crucial blunder of not reading everything word for word. Sorry for that.

Still, I don't think it matters. Even if it was after Nintendo would probably still know about them. That and it doesn't make any sense for there to be a rule in place when they said there wasn't. There is something to be said about advertising for Ninendo console stuff, but if that's the reason for it then we wouldn't have Joker or Banjo & Kazooie since the former puts a Playstation game front and center, and the latter is on a console they don't sell anymore, and they even went as far as to directly promote the X Box.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Card game in Japan. Basically, all the cards are drawn by artists, so it's a gold mine for potential costumes and whatnot much like Fire Emblem Heroes.
Yeah, I knew what it was, I just didn't know anything beyond the fact that it was a card game and that it existed.

Continuing on the costume discussion, what original costumes not taken from other games do you guys think would be cool to see? Like a a Neo-Geo Rob, or Pikachu in a Tanuki costume, or Isabelle wearing the Doomslayer's suit.

Ive been hearing alot of talk about Lloyd and Yuri taking up the same slot in the fighters pass. I dont get how that works. Lloyd has 2 swords, Yuri has one. she wouldnt really be an alt for lloyd with one sword
Anyone who claims these characters can be alts of each other is completely unfamiliar with these characters. It simply wouldn't work.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I've... never really cared about cosmetics, or unlocking alternate costumes, or anything like that. And I especially have never cared about customizing my character. And that's very much a minority opinion, so I always feel weird when a conversation like this comes up.

I guess my number one priority with costumes is that I can actually tell which one's which when it's zoomed out. No, Lucina shouldn't have an alt with her mask on. That's just Pac-Man's alt costumes, but even harder to tell apart. I feel the same way about Twilight Princess Ganon or Link, and a whole bunch of other concepts people like to present.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, the general consensus here is that Yuri would not work over Lloyd and vice versa.

The vast majority of characters don't imo. Even characters that do the same things often have a radically different personality that would require different animations to portray.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I've... never really cared about cosmetics, or unlocking alternate costumes, or anything like that. And I especially have never cared about customizing my character. And that's very much a minority opinion, so I always feel weird when a conversation like this comes up.

I guess my number one priority with costumes is that I can actually tell which one's which when it's zoomed out. No, Lucina shouldn't have an alt with her mask on. That's just Pac-Man's alt costumes, but even harder to tell apart. I feel the same way about Twilight Princess Ganon or Link, and a whole bunch of other concepts people like to present.
Except characters have costumes that are entirely different characters. Twilight Ganondorf and Masked Lucina are clearly closer to the original than Enderman is to Steve.

Yeah, the general consensus here is that Yuri would not work over Lloyd and vice versa.

The vast majority of characters don't imo. Even characters that do the same things often have a radically different personality that would require different animations to portray.
I'm kinda torn here. I agree with the personality portrayal thing, but on the other hand I think if we can get every Koopaling and Alph, then getting Roxas or all the Metal Slug Squad wouldn't stretch it too far either.

Remember when people were saying that we'd have the composite ARMS rep?

Yeah, that wouldn't really work. I'm glad we got a personalized Min Min over a watered-down version of four separate fighters.
Only people who were completely unfamiliar with ARMS ever thought this.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Except characters have costumes that are entirely different characters. Twilight Ganondorf and Masked Lucina are clearly closer to the original than Enderman is to Steve.
I... Yes. Yes, they are. I don't... understand the relevance that has to anything I said, however.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I can see where he might have gotten confused. There are a lot of feminine-looking men in the Tales series....(cough) Emile (cough)..
Ok but Ion tho, I LITERALLY thought he was a girl when I first saw him

Pillow

Smash Lord
I... Yes. Yes, they are. I don't... understand the relevance that has to anything I said, however.
I thought you were claiming that masked Lucina, and other alternate costumes would be too hard to recognize. I was arguing against that claim, saying that they wouldn't be any harder to recognize than most of the existing costumes already in the game. If I misunderstood, then I apologize.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel the same way about Twilight Princess Ganon or Link, and a whole bunch of other concepts people like to present.
The two Ganondorfs are really distinct from each other though:
1612389799611.png
1612389814612.png
The two Links are a bit less so, but the current alternate Link costume and previous Link incarnation do have different color schemes, so it just depends on if they're different enough.

I'm kinda torn here. I agree with the personality portrayal thing, but on the other hand I think if we can get every Koopaling and Alph, then getting Roxas or all the Metal Slug Squad wouldn't stretch it too far either.
Personally, I don't like the Koopalings as alts., and I think Alph at least has missed potential so...they're kinda 1.5-2 on ideas that I don't like.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I thought you were claiming that masked Lucina, and other alternate costumes would be too hard to recognize. I was arguing against that claim, saying that they wouldn't be any harder to recognize than most of the existing costumes already in the game. If I misunderstood, then I apologize.
The exact opposite. They're too hard to distinguish.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I can see where he might have gotten confused. There are a lot of feminine-looking men in the Tales series....(cough) Emile (cough)..
Ok but Ion tho, I LITERALLY thought he was a girl when I first saw him
Anime is a Japanese conspiracy theory created to destroy our ability to recognize sexual dimorphism in humans

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Remember when people were saying that we'd have the composite ARMS rep?

Yeah, that wouldn't really work. I'm glad we got a personalized Min Min over a watered-down version of four separate fighters.
I never thought it was likely given how hard it would be to show their distinct personalities through their animations if they were all costumes, which is the only reason why :ultdaisy: isn’t an alternate costume.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I didn't know who Ion was and decided to Google him........yeah, gonna have to take your word for it that that's a guy....

The gown and pigtails don't exactly scream masculinity.
Wait till you hear his voice. It’s LITERALLY A GIRLS VOICE

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
The two Ganondorfs are really distinct from each other though: The two Links are a bit less so, but the current alternate Link costume and previous Link incarnation do have different color schemes, so it just depends on if they're different enough.
...I'm sorry to say, but these two designs read as quite similar zoomed in as far as we are. There is no way I would be able to distinguish these effectively with the camera as far back as it is in gameplay.

Pillow

Smash Lord
The exact opposite. They're too hard to distinguish.
Well then, I understand that argument even less. I'm not sure why that would be an issue when we have alts like the ones Cloud and Sonic have, on top of the fact that these costumes would be clear nods to their original games which would make fans of those respective series happy.

Anime is a Japanese conspiracy theory created to destroy our ability to recognize sexual dimorphism in humans
animemistake.jpg

Wait till you hear his voice. It’s LITERALLY A GIRLS VOICE
Well there's a lot of guys voiced by girl VA's. Not just for the ones that look like girls, but mostly girl VA's seem to fit male characters in their teens or younger.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Well then, I understand that argument even less. I'm not sure why that would be an issue when we have alts like the ones Cloud and Sonic have, on top of the fact that these costumes would be clear nods to their original games which would make fans of those respective series happy.
Yeah, and does anyone like Sonic and Cloud's alts (besides his Advent Children one)?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm not exactly miffed about the Koopaling thing myself. Cause I honestly only like 2 of them as it is with Iggy and Roy.

I get that having another character strictly as a costume can suck tho.

One thing that I'd be happy to see in more fighting games in general is a color edit mode, like CVS2 and Soul Calibur 3. But I think the inter-company nature of the roster is gonna make that too hard since guys like Sonic aren't allowed to be any color but blue, and Pac-Man with yellow.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah, and does anyone like Sonic and Cloud's alts (besides his Advent Children one)?
People like the Advent Children one because it references Advent Children. Likewise, I'd bet people would like masked Lucina for referencing Awakening, Bearded Ryu for referencing SFV, or Masked Luigi for referencing Paper Mario even if they are not as visually distinct as a color palette swap.

I'm not exactly miffed about the Koopaling thing myself. Cause I honestly only like 2 of them as it is with Iggy and Roy.

I get that having another character strictly as a costume can suck tho.

One thing that I'd be happy to see in more fighting games in general is a color edit mode, like CVS2 and Soul Calibur 3. But I think the inter-company nature of the roster is gonna make that too hard since guys like Sonic aren't allowed to be any color but blue, and Pac-Man with yellow.
It's more like the costume thing gives characters who otherwise would never be playable a chance. Like no way we'd be able to play as Iggy if he wasn't a costume for Bowser Jr. If they were more significant characters then Sakurai would likely opt to make them an echo fighter rather than a costume, as most of the echo fighters are basically costumes that have a character slot.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
This is kinda old news but whatever, thought it'd be fun to share. Did you know the most popular figure on Japan's biggest online figure retailer for 2020 was a Nintendo figure of all things? Can you guess what character it was?

Maybe my joke posts from 2019 and 2020 weren't as much of a joke as I thought...
I assume this means if KOS-MOS gets in, one of her costumes will be her Xenoblade 2 look.

But man, some numbers on how much was sold would be really nice to have for speculation.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It don' work on me 'cuz I know the trick!

Women have da bewbs.

...I'm sorry to say, but these two designs read as quite similar zoomed in as far as we are. There is no way I would be able to distinguish these effectively with the camera as far back as it is in gameplay.
But...They don't. They do both have a lot of grey in the pallet, but the current design uses brown as a main color, and his cape is a vibrant red. The previous one has no brown, has purple on the pallet, a glowing yellow chest, and a much more subdued red on the cape, and it's only used on the inside.

Continuing on the costume discussion, what original costumes not taken from other games do you guys think would be cool to see? Like a a Neo-Geo Rob, or Pikachu in a Tanuki costume, or Isabelle wearing the Doomslayer's suit.
Tron Shulk
Lucario in martial arts gi
Ice climbers wearing a different style of winter gear, like with hats instead of hoods
random Dr. Mario versions of characters that make no sense, like Fox
Sheik with a modern/futuristic alt kiind of like the treatment Kunimitsu got in Tekken 7

On the whole Ganondorf thing, my biggest issue with a Twilight Princess alt would be the proportions. OoT Ganondorf has legs for days and TP Ganondorf has short legs. That's not even getting into the posture situation. That alt would look really strange on Ganondorf's skeleton in Ultimate.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hilariously enough, this has always been my rule of thumb for anime, though it is worth pointing out that even that rule fails from time to time. While anime loves voluptuous women, they like to pepper in some surf boards to keep you guessing.
Poor Lucina

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Well...

1612391699893.png
1612391705911.png

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
People like the Advent Children one because it references Advent Children. Likewise, I'd bet people would like masked Lucina for referencing Awakening, Bearded Ryu for referencing SFV, or Masked Luigi for referencing Paper Mario even if they are not as visually distinct as a color palette swap.
I disagree with the claim that the Ganondorfs are too similar, but I do have to say that a small mask on a character who can face away from the camera is even worse than the "Advent Children Cloud, but without the sleeve" alt.

Bearded Ryu and Mr. L costumes are fine because bearded Ryu is also shirtless and Mr. L wears black, so you're not quizzing people on facial hair and a mask on the eyes.

For masked Lucina, you might could do with a toggle on the Character Select Screen that works with all pallet swaps so that you're not confusing anyone with a masked and unmasked Lucina of the same color. Alternatively, I think a pallet swap maker that allows you to make additional pallet swaps with your choice of costume would solve a lot of issues with costumes like these, since you would be able to ignore them if you don't like them, and making samey looking pallet swaps would be fine since its at your own discretion.

"But it is the case" is a terrible argument for "it shouldn't be the case". Sorry to call you specifically out, but this kinda thing bugs me.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Those four are not in the same situation in terms of being distinguishable from the regular character.
  • Advent Children Cloud has a coat, which significantly changes his silhouette around the lower body.
  • Masked Lucina's mask is blue. Lucina already has a lot of blue near the top of her head because that's where her hair is, so it just blends in to that.
  • Bearded Ryu is shirtless, changing the color of his upper body. His beard also gives him some black around his chin.
  • Luigi's never worn a mask in Paper Mario. You may be thinking of the character Mr. L. If they were to add him as an alt to an entirely unrelated character for whatever reason, you could easily distinguish him by the fact that his outfit is almost entirely black.
But...They don't. They do both have a lot of grey in the pallet, but the current design uses brown as a main color, and his cape is a vibrant red. The previous one has no brown, has purple on the pallet, a glowing yellow chest, and a much more subdued red on the cape, and it's only used on the inside.
Yeah, okay, I guess I see it. For the record, though, I had trouble distinguishing Ganon's alts from each other back in Smash 4, so...
Yeah, I dislike that, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom