• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know I'm gonna make a random prediction right now. I think Genshin Impact will get a Spirit Event or Mii Costumes in the future.
It’s not on Switch (yet) though... everything that was in a Spirit Event so far has been on switch or a previous Nintendo system. Including Warframe (added shortly after its switch port) or River City (idk if it’s on switch but it has been on previous Nintendo systems)

SKX31

Smash Master
A bit disappointed that you didn't give anyone Dota 2 stuns. :4pacman:
Couldn't really think of anyone to give them to. But now that you mention it, there are several combinations that people would hate / love :4dedede: :

• Lloyd with the ability to stun for 4 seconds, a Fire spell that decreases opponents' damage output and a Regen + Armor passive.
  • Crash getting say a 17 % chance to auto-spin every time he's attacked, a Taunt that forces anyone caught to attack him and another spell that does damage as long as the opponent's not attacking.
  • Lara Croft / Nathan Drake gaining sticky napalm that step-by-step slows people down to a crawl (including their turn rate), a molotov-esque thing that pushes back and deals damage based on how many stacks of napalm the opponent has, and a lasso that also deals damage based on napalm stacks.

And so on. There's no shortage of them.

You know I'm gonna make a random prediction right now. I think Genshin Impact will get a Spirit Event or Mii Costumes in the future.
Honestly, I could see it happening, although the timing of GI's release might make it a bit wonky. Still, it's certainly possible.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What's a character that you want to see in Smash just for the music that they'd bring?

For me, it's Eggman. Even if we don't take into account how odd it is that Sonic only has one playable character in Smash after all of this time, Eggman getting in would mean that we could get songs like E.G.G.M.A.N., Death Egg Robot, Final Zone, Reach for the Stars (Orchestra Version), Big Arm, Final Boss (Showdown), Vs. Egg Dragoon, and Doomsday Zone, among many, many, many others. (I'm just going with songs that are directly tied to Eggman - there's a ton of great music in Sonic games that Smash isn't using, and if Eggman's inclusion can be used as an excuse for us to get Chemical Plant Zone or any of its remixes from Generations or Mania, then I'm all for it)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What's a character that you want to see in Smash just for the music that they'd bring?

For me, it's Eggman. Even if we don't take into account how odd it is that Sonic only has one playable character in Smash after all of this time, Eggman getting in would mean that we could get songs like E.G.G.M.A.N., Death Egg Robot, Final Zone, Reach for the Stars (Orchestra Version), Big Arm, Final Boss (Showdown), and Doomsday Zone, among many, many, many others. (I'm just going with songs that are directly tied to Eggman - there's a ton of great music in Sonic games that Smash isn't using, and if Eggman's inclusion can be used as an excuse for us to get Chemical Plant Zone or any of its remixes from Generations or Mania, then I'm all for it)
Even if Octoling is a clone, I NEED me that Octo Expansion music

it is a crime that Fly Octo Fly currently isn’t in Smash. A CRIME I say!

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

For me, it's Eggman. Even if we don't take into account how odd it is that Sonic only has one playable character in Smash after all of this time, Eggman getting in would mean that we could get songs like E.G.G.M.A.N., Death Egg Robot, Final Zone, Reach for the Stars (Orchestra Version), Big Arm, Final Boss (Showdown), and Doomsday Zone, among many, many, many others. (I'm just going with songs that are directly tied to Eggman - there's a ton of great music in Sonic games that Smash isn't using, and if Eggman's inclusion can be used as an excuse for us to get Chemical Plant Zone or any of its remixes from Generations or Mania, then I'm all for it)
Raiden from Metal Gear.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It’s not on Switch (yet) though... everything that was in a Spirit Event so far has been on switch or a previous Nintendo system. Including Warframe (added shortly after its switch port) or River City (idk if it’s on switch but it has been on previous Nintendo systems)
Wasn't there a big collection of the series with Double Dragon that came out a while ago? I think it was like 36 games and it's on the Switch

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Elma for those sick New L.A. beats:

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord

For me it'd be 2B or Chief, but I also just happen to want those characters in separate from the music. Hearing weight of the world or the Halo 3 theme in an upcoming trailer would actually give me chills. Kazuma Kiryu, Phoenix Wright, Neku Sakuraba, Doomslayer and Dante are also close runner ups in the music department.

That said, Sora is probably the most accurate answer for a character I really don't care for, but his music is just that good (All the Hikaru Utada songs particularly). Square has so much good memorable music (except for Tomb Raider for some reason).

Reimu Hakurei and Hatsune Miko are interesting picks also for the music they'd bring...mostly because a good majority of their associated music isn't owned by same entity that owns the characters. My favorite Vocaloid inclusion would be Echo but I wasn't sure if I should list it, since it's less associated with Miku herself, in which case I'd suggest this instead.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Wasn't there a big collection of the series with Double Dragon that came out a while ago? I think it was like 36 games and it's on the Switch
Yep. Double Dragon and Kunio-Kun Retro Brawler Bundle. (the title was pretty clunky, though not as bad as some other games)

River City Ransom's also on the NES Online App, and I think it (and the Double Dragon games) got a separate release for $5 or $6 on the eShop. (it was tied into the Retro Brawler Bundle, I think - I guess they figured that people might be interested in buying the game on its own without the various Kunio-Kun games that didn't get released outside of Japan)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It has one planned, though. If Warframe got a Spirit shortly after it was ported, nothing says it can't happen again with Genshin.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Prince of All Cosmos - Katamari content would be great all across the board, but I'm not gonna pretend like I don't just want to have Roll Me In and a Lonely Rolling Star arrangement in Smash above everything else.

I wish they just added this one with Pac-Man, honestly.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Occasionally, I have a random thought about an extremely far-fetched series to include in Smash. Before, it was Zork.

Today, it's Dwarf Fortress! And yes, I'm fully aware that a character from that is not particularly suited to Smash. But now I'm thinking about a moveset where you don't actually control the character, you just order the character to do something and then they do it. Or they don't, because they got too angry and are now on a murderous rampage.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Standard answer, but Dixie Kong.

There's far too many gems in the DK soundtrack range that still need to be in Smash:
DKC: (Fear Factory, Forest Frenzy, Treetop Rock)
DKC2: (Krook's March, Hot Head Bop, Forest Interlude, Disco Train, Jib Jig, Klomp's Romp)
DKC3: (Mill Fever, Treetop Tumble, Nuts & Bolts, Rockface Rumble)
DKC R: (Tidal Terror, Bobbing Basalt)
DKC TF: ( Busted Bayou, Big Top Bop, Windmill Hills, Alpine Incline, Grassland Groove, Scorch N' Torch, Seashore War)

And that's just the main Country songs. I'm sure others have ones from 64 and Jungle Beat that would be solid fits as well.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton have excellent music tracks

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Sora, enough said.

There's so much good music, I want the series to get the SNK treatment for the music alone.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Another one: if a third pass happens and companies can’t double dip in the same one, Neku Sakuraba

do a Terry with both TWEWY music AND music from other non-FF7 or DQ games. Like NieR. Or Chrono. Or Star Ocean. Or Bravely. Etc.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

It's a little sad how we still haven't gotten a second Sonic character yet. I get that Sephiroth is probably a bigger deal to Nintendo due to how incredibly hard it is to get FF characters, but there's several Sonic characters who are iconic enough for me to label as an all-star worthy of Smash.

I'm sure we'll get more at some point though. Sega has the arguably best relationship with Nintendo out of all the third-parties involved with Smash, and Sonic is a very big IP in the world of video games.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Sol Badguy
A Rhythm Heaven character
Neku Sakuraba

I also just really really want Trails music in smash.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Would have been Officer Howard from Astral Chain...Katamari is a damn good shout too though, kudos to Louie G. Louie G. for reminding me.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Occasionally, I have a random thought about an extremely far-fetched series to include in Smash. Before, it was Zork.

Today, it's Dwarf Fortress! And yes, I'm fully aware that a character from that is not particularly suited to Smash. But now I'm thinking about a moveset where you don't actually control the character, you just order the character to do something and then they do it. Or they don't, because they got too angry and are now on a murderous rampage.
I too want an ASCII to tantrum across the battlefield and beat up Sephiroth because the ASCII had only water to drink for months.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Given how the current wait between DLC fighters has been about 2.5 to 3 months between each fighter's reveal and release dates, the current release schedule for the remaining 3 fighters would look something like this:

FP9: Late February at the earliest, late March at the latest
FP10: June
FP11: Late September/Early October at latest

Pillow

Smash Lord
It's a little sad how we still haven't gotten a second Sonic character yet. I get that Sephiroth is probably a bigger deal to Nintendo due to how incredibly hard it is to get FF characters, but there's several Sonic characters who are iconic enough for me to label as an all-star worthy of Smash.
Not arguing that Sonic doesn't deserve another rep (though I'd personally vastly prefer Kiryu or Arle from Sega) but I count Tails and Eggman as potential Sonic Reps. Anyone else kinda falls shy of being considered an "All-Star" imo.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not arguing that Sonic doesn't deserve another rep (though I'd personally vastly prefer Kiryu or Arle from Sega) but I count Tails and Eggman as potential Sonic Reps. Anyone else kinda falls shy of being considered an "All-Star" imo.
Nah, Knuckles and Shadow are both pretty iconic too. Enough to where I'm sure I could walk up to total strangers, show them a picture of either character, and have a few of them recognize who they were looking at.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Nah, Knuckles and Shadow are both pretty iconic too. Enough to where I'm sure I could walk up to total strangers, show them a picture of either character, and have a few of them recognize who they were looking at.
They're known, but I think I'd definitely consider them a step below Eggman & Tails, mostly in terms of having a longer history with their home series which is very important to Smash. In terms of gameplay, I'd definitely prefer Knuckles out of the whole lot of them though. I have a sort of personal bias against Shadow. It's not your fault Shadow, you're the perfect edgy boi Team Sonic wanted you to be, but your strong association with 3D Sonic games makes me hate you.

SKX31

Smash Master
Dante, just for the battle themes alone. I'm 100 % sure possible battle themes have been listed here previously, but I'll place special emphasis on Bury the Light. Because holy **** that would be epic to hear in the game.

Also, StarCraft has a consistently great soundtrack. This one is a great example:

I too want an ASCII to tantrum across the battlefield and beat up Sephiroth because the ASCII had only water to drink for months.
If Dwarf Fortress gets in, there must be a Boatmurdered reference in there somewhere. Whether it's moronic dwarf AI, rampaging elephants or magma.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
They're known, but I think I'd definitely consider them a step below Eggman & Tails, mostly in terms of having a longer history with their home series which is very important to Smash. In terms of gameplay, I'd definitely prefer Knuckles out of the whole lot of them though. I have a sort of personal bias against Shadow. It's not your fault Shadow, you're the perfect edgy boi Team Sonic wanted you to be, but your strong association with 3D Sonic games makes me hate you.
Tbh, I think you're both making good points.

On one hand, I would argue that Knuckles and Shadow definitely fit the criteria for an "All-Stars" of gaming characters. On the other, if it came down to picking one new Sonic rep (specifically in the context of the Fighters Pass), I do think it would be between Tails or Eggman. They're basically the Luigi and Bowser to Sonic's Mario, so it's hard for me to envision Knuckles or Shadow making it before them (the latter could do it if he were an Echo though).

On a personal note, I'm in this weird spot with Sonic where I'm not actively cheering for a new rep right now, mostly because there's other Sega characters I'd rather see, but I definitely wouldn't be disappointed if it happened.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Sora. Haven't fully gotten into the series, but I do quite like the songs.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Dante, just for the battle themes alone. I'm 100 % sure possible battle themes have been listed here previously, but I'll place special emphasis on Bury the Light. Because holy **** that would be epic to hear in the game.

Also, StarCraft has a consistently great soundtrack. This one is a great example:

I adamantly don't want Blizzard content in Smash for a few reasons, but they definitely can put out some banger theme songs. I honestly forgot how good the Terran music was because I barely ever touched that race. If we do get Blizzard stuff in Smash though, someone has to tell us to construct additional pylons.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice

Easily Monokuma. Danganronpa has some amazing music.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Blaze is cool.

But what about the other Sonic cat girl:

Can we have her?
I was so upset that Sega ****ing denied Ian Flynn from using her in IDW. At least we know that Classic's also getting a comic so she can be used in there

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Sometimes I feel like our version of "iconic" is a little out of whack.

It seems odd that Dante, 2B, and Lloyd (not to knock these characters, they're still very cool) are all considered iconic because they're the main character in franchises that have about 20 million copies sold but characters like Waluigi and Knuckles, supporting characters in franchises with 716 million and 140 copies sold, are not.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman

Half of my most wanted come from games with great soundtrack, so I want them both because of characters representation and new songs coming to Smash.
If I have to choose one, I'd say Grovyle, because Explorers of Sky has the best Pokémon ost, which is also one of my favourite of all time! More than 6 hours of great, adventurous, emotional songs and fine musical storytelling with those leitmotives!

Choosing a character who is not one of my most wanted is actually pretty easy: I'd say Reimu beacuse... well, Touhou music is just amazing and I think it deserves to be in Smash! My favourite track is probably Necrofantasia from Touhou 7 (I only tried 6 and 7).

Speaking of Eggman, I haven't played many Sonic games, so I don't know all the songs. But I want to add this specific song from Sonic Advance 3 to your list:

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord

It seems odd that Dante, 2B, and Lloyd (not to knock these characters, they're still very cool) are all considered iconic because they're the main character in franchises that have about 20 million copies sold but characters like Waluigi and Knuckles, supporting characters in franchises with 716 million and 140 copies sold, are not.
It really depends on how much significance you place on the supporting characters thing. To me, characters like Waluigi and Knuckles are popular and prevalent, but a lot of this is due to being carried by the series themselves (and to a degree, that means they're also carried by their series respective protagonists). To me, a side character becomes truly iconic when their popularity and significance transcends their position as side characters. Sephiroth is a good example of this. Chun-Li is another.

I'd also maintain that 2B and Lloyd aren't really iconic either, but the Tales/Drakengard series are significant and that's why they take precedence over more iconic side characters in my eyes. Honestly, most the really big, Nintendo affiliated, video game iconic characters are already in Smash . The only "jeez I can't believe this isn't represented in Smash still" series left is Resident Evil.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Iconic is a meaningless qualifier. Either it's applied universally and largely in hindsight to every character we receive, or not every character on the roster is iconic, making it a feature unnecessary for inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom