• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Fun fact: dunno if you knew this or not, but Sora's whole design is based off of Mickey Mouse.

View attachment 300349

Guess Riku will have to be the DLC instead of Sora, since we have to remove Disney content to make it happen. You heard it here folks: Sora can't get in because his design is based off Mickey Mouse, which is Disney content and we can't have Disney content in Smash.
Damn bros, no DK, Link, Samus, Hero, Sonic and more, they're based off of King Kong, Peter Pan, Ripley, Goku, Bill Clinton and more. This is totally the case and not a thinly veiled excuse to dismiss a character who goes against the character I focus on during any and all speculation

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
Fun fact: dunno if you knew this or not, but Sora's whole design is based off of Mickey Mouse.

View attachment 300349

Guess Riku will have to be the DLC instead of Sora, since we have to remove Disney content to make it happen. You heard it here folks: Sora can't get in because his design is based off Mickey Mouse, which is Disney content and we can't have Disney content in Smash.

Sarcasm and exposing stupidity aside, we've already had Disney content in Smash back in Brawl with the Chronicle which mention both Mickey and Donald by name, so getting only the video-game-version of Disney characters really wouldn't be that hard. Just have a spirit of Mage Donald, Knight Goofy and apprentice/KH3 Mickey and your done.

Also, are you guys SERIOUSLY suggesting that Smash would have to edit the keychain of the default and most iconic Keyblade in the series? You DO know that in all other crossover media Sora has been in keeps that mickey keychain, right?

Not counting the Tsum-Tsum crossovers because Disney owns them, both his KH1 and KH3 designs in Brave Exvius have the normal keychain as well as his appearance in World of Final Fantasy. I think he's appeared in one other crossover but I may be imagining things.

Even if we got no Disney content OTHER than Sora (who is a fully Disney-owned character designed by Square) part of his iconic design is the Kingdom Key, and they wouldn't edit that in any way. In edition, this argument about Disney content is dumb because Disney owns ALL the KH unique characters, not just Disney character that existed before KH. This means Sora, Kairi, Roxas, Ventas, Xehanort and many MANY more are all Disney characters, and by your logic they couldn't happen if you had to remove Disney content.

So no, either Sora comes with Disney content because he IS Disney content and so is everything tied to him that isn't Final Fantasy, or he doesn't get in at all. No one ever argues this kinda of weird editing and censorship for any other character but for him and it's weird.

Besides, the only credible information we have about him is that Imran Khan suggests Disney Japan already said no and that Shinji Hashimoto himself said there were no plans for Sora in regards to Smash in mid-2019 which is about the time most of us think negotiations for more characters happened. As much as I used to love KH, it really doesn't look good for the lad, and that really doesn't have much to do with his Disney content.
you have not added anything; the thing about other crossovers still including the emblem literally proves the point. we already know he is owned by disney and was blocked.
we were taking apart a specific argument that Ben Holt Ben Holt was making, that sora was inherently nigh-impossible because of the presence of other disney content. you, while arguing against us, have proven our point about it being a non-issue.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Damn bros, no DK, Link, Samus, Hero, Sonic and more, they're based off of King Kong, Peter Pan, Ripley, Goku, Bill Clinton and more. This is totally the case and not a thinly veiled excuse to dismiss a character who goes against the character I focus on during any and all speculation
I think you missed his argument.
Him saying that Sora's design was based on Mickey Mouse was IN FAVOR of Disney content not holding Sora back.
In fact, Forsaken was arguing that even having Donald and Goofy appear WOULDN'T hinder Sora's chances.

Edit: Minor, but Donkey Kong actually wasn't based on King Kong. Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pauline were originally intended to be Popeye, Bluto, and Olive Oyl respectively, but Nintendo couldn't get the Popeye license.
"Kong" was a poor translation, not a reference to King Kong.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think you missed his argument.
Him saying that Sora's design was based on Mickey Mouse was IN FAVOR of Disney content not holding Sora back.
In fact, Forsaken was arguing that even having Donald and Goofy appear WOULDN'T hinder Sora's chances.
I just doublechecked and yeah I misread it, my mistake and apologies to M

Pillow

Smash Lord
Disney is literally just back dressing for the plot of Kingdom Hearts to happen, they're an excuse to have a variety of different worlds you wouldn't necessarily see in a game otherwise.

You could easily scrub Disney from the plot and not lose anything integral to it, Mickey doesn't do anything that only he can do, you can replace him with a generic anime guy named Arxurth and nothing fundamentally changes, you can replace Toy Story with a completely different world and you lose nothing plot wise. Their importance begins and ends at "Oh I want to see this film get a world, imagine X as a partner, Y as a summon and Z as a (super)boss"

Sora without Disney content is perfectly fine.
I mean you could replace Mickey and all the Disney with other stuff without effecting the plot, but that doesn’t really matter. It’s not Arxurth the wizard it’s ****ing Mickey Mouse.

You could apply this logic to tons of stuff in Smash. Sonic rings, Mario stars, pokeballs, whatever could all be other miscellaneous items and not effect the gameplay, plot, or even feel of the games. But at the end of the day, they simply are what they are, and appear in smash as such.

The Disney worlds may not be integral to the plot (though from what I remember from playing the first one weren’t the princesses all like special somethings that couldn’t be corrupted by heartless) but it’s wrong to say they aren’t heavily prevalent within the game.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm gonna break from my normal Sora hating and actually agree with M, though.
If Sora IS to one day be in Smash, I think he SHOULD have his Disney references, Donald, Goofy, and all. It's simply the "proper" way to represent Sora and Kingdom Hearts.
To me, it really is all or nothing regarding Sora, and I'm firmly in the nothing category.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly? Yeah, I kinda would. Whenever I see people talk about Kingdom Hearts, it's usually about lights, hearts, and/or darkness; lights, hearts, and/or darkness; lights, hearts, and/or darkness; lights, hearts, and/or dark-
Fixed. :4pacman:

Jokes aside, even Smash Flash 2, a fan game that has anime characters as part of its roster, has Sora's keychain and Final Smash as the only Disney references, instead focusing entirely on KH-original content. So yeah, it's pretty much doable.

And I mean, so long as Sakurai can change it, I'd argue he would. I mean, he put the Smash emblem in the middle of the KoF logo already. I really doubt that one is an issue unless Disney is uber whiny.

Like, not even "corporate level whiny", just "beyond all reason whiny". Which I doubt, because they would know how much money a Challenger Pack could net them, especially with Sora being a huge fan request.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Fixed. :4pacman:

Jokes aside, even Smash Flash 2, a fan game that has anime characters as part of its roster, has Sora's keychain and Final Smash as the only Disney references, instead focusing entirely on KH-original content. So yeah, it's pretty much doable.

And I mean, so long as Sakurai can change it, I'd argue he would. I mean, he put the Smash emblem in the middle of the KoF logo already. I really doubt that one is an issue unless Disney is uber whiny.

Like, not even "corporate level whiny", just "beyond all reason whiny". Which I doubt, because they would know how much money a Challenger Pack could net them, especially with Sora being a huge fan request.
I'm not sure I'd use SF2 as a metric for, well, anything. As good of a flash game as it may be, it's still a flash game with a far smaller budget than the one Nintendo gives Sakurai to develop Smash. If we're talking about Sora's moveset specifically, then sure, he definitely doesn't need to have anything Disney related there (though Disney summons are something Sora does in his base game and can be reflected here if Sakurai wanted to). Every DLC character thus far has brought tons of extra content from their games in the forms of the stage, music, and spirits. I don't see why Kingdom Hearts would be any different. Sakurai would want to bring all elements of a game in. So heartless, organiztion XIII, all the oc keyblade wielders would be there of course, but so would the Disney stuff. They're all parts of the same whole.

Regarding the keychain thing, it's honestly such a nonissue but I believe Sakurai would keep it in its original form if he could. If Disney forced him to change it he would, but I doubt it would be the reverse.

The thing I'm most confused about is why does it seem that Kingdom Hearts fans are the ones who insist Sora come without Disney content? I understand how people indifferent towards the series might be purists who want to keep Smash clean from characters from non-gaming origins, but I would expect Sora fans to want him in the game with, or without Disney content.

This thread now:
Sora
4uz0be.jpg

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sakurai himself is another challenge to Sora getting added, as he might think that the series "isn't represented properly" without Disney content.

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure I'd use SF2 as a metric for, well, anything. As good of a flash game as it may be, it's still a flash game with a far smaller budget than the one Nintendo gives Sakurai to develop Smash. If we're talking about Sora's moveset specifically, then sure, he definitely doesn't need to have anything Disney related there (though Disney summons are something Sora does in his base game and can be reflected here if Sakurai wanted to). Every DLC character thus far has brought tons of extra content from their games in the forms of the stage, music, and spirits. I don't see why Kingdom Hearts would be any different. Sakurai would want to bring all elements of a game in. So heartless, organiztion XIII, all the oc keyblade wielders would be there of course, but so would the Disney stuff. They're all parts of the same whole.

Regarding the keychain thing, it's honestly such a nonissue but I believe Sakurai would keep it in its original form if he could. If Disney forced him to change it he would, but I doubt it would be the reverse.

The thing I'm most confused about is why does it seem that Kingdom Hearts fans are the ones who insist Sora come without Disney content? I understand how people indifferent towards the series might be purists who want to keep Smash clean from characters from non-gaming origins, but I would expect Sora fans to want him in the game with, or without Disney content.
we do want him with without(well, less so me; i have others i'd like); we were pointing out how little there actually is to bring, and how mostly unimportant it is to bring, to counter claims of disney content inherently invalidating him somehow.

Pillow

Smash Lord
we do want him with without(well, less so me; i have others i'd like); we were pointing out how little there actually is to bring, and how mostly unimportant it is to bring, to counter claims of disney content inherently invalidating him somehow.
...but I didn't see anyone claiming disney content inherently invalidated him. I believe the sentiment was that if Sora were to be added to Smash, then he would bring a certain amount of Disney content with him as was appropriate.

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Sora doesn't need Disney content" is a thing because the people who insist that he has to come with them are gatekeepers who argue in bad faith 90% of the time.

A Sora fighter pack without Goofy or Donald but with a healthy amount of Kingdom Hearts original content is much better than what FF7 got in Smash 4 so the "proper representation" argument doesn't have that much going for it.

Last edited:

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
...but I didn't see anyone claiming disney content inherently invalidated him. I believe the sentiment was that if Sora were to be added to Smash, then he would bring a certain amount of Disney content with him as was appropriate.
the logic used in these quotes when considered in combination with Ben Holt Ben Holt 's insistence on it being necessary are the argument we're countering.

Smash is, quite unambiguously, for video game characters. If they were interested in dipping their toes into the not-originally-from-video-games pool, they would have done so a long time ago.
Is it just me or that if they want to include Sora in Smash Nintendo would have to negotiate with them 2 times, first if they allowed to have the series and second is if they were allowed to remove all the Disney stuff right in front of the Disney executive themselves since I know that they would use KH as a free advertisement for their movies. ( I mean as if KH isn't always used for advertisement for their IP)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
As an outsider that doesn't care one way or the other (the most KH I've personally digested was watching a friend play the original, yet I've watched full playthroughs/explanation vids to make sense of KH3), this discussion really reeks of the "sounds like a 'you' problem" bias that plagues various characters before they're actually seen in action with our own eyes.

None of it is the exact same, but the arguments I see are very reminiscent of "no they can't scale down Ridley, being big is his thing" or "Steve can't be in, how would he animate/be made to look fitting in this game's art style" stuff that has no one-true answer. Everyone has their preference for what they'd be willing to compromise, and I don't see the point in fighting about it when it really boils to what the very top level (Sakurai and whoever else is involved making the decisions going into the game) thinks and acknowledges as the true barriers.

Getting nitpicky does no one any favors, as we've seen all manner of precedent for/against exclusion yet still get blindsided every time (Sakurai literally explaining 2 FF songs/no spirits to us still doesn't take away that they really felt "eh, screw it/ship it and never bring it up when asked" 5 years ago). It's certainly not out of the question that they could realize "even the bare minimum would sell like hotcakes" and that there are tons of fans that would be more than happy to get what they want no matter what (size didn't matter is a hill I'll gladly die on :ultridley: but where the heck is my pogo tail samurai). But it also doesn't seem that farfetch'd to think Sakurai would want to do the source material justice, which for all we know he's the biggest Goofy fanboy in the world and he put his foot down if there's no hyuck codecs, Mii outfits and so on. More than that, it really isn't hard at all to just stop thinking once "pay Disney" comes to mind.

Until they outright finish reveals/someone at either Nintendo or Square/Disney comes out and admits things fell through at negotiations (which ain't happening, IMO), we're gonna be seeing this debate over and over each week. Personally I'm on the ship has sailed boat, but there's nothing wrong letting others continue on as they've been hoping/dreaming. Gatekeeping on either side for the sake of it is as futile as it sounds. As is this post.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I mean, Summons aren't really a core mechanic of KH - at least not compared to Sora's acrobatic moves and magic, which are used much more frequently. Even in FF, all the Summons got was a stage cameo in Midgar.

Sora can still have "tons of extra content" without even touching Disney movie stuff, as Idon Idon pointed out before. Most of KH's original content is far more important to its identity these days than Frozen or Lion King or Mulan or whatever.

The reason people argue he could come without is because many Sora supporters (myself included) feel that so long as he represents himself as a character, as well as the core combat moves he uses in the game, we don't need anything else. That's why I brought up SSF2, really, because it shows that Sora can still be himself and have his series well represented with barely (or any) stuff from Disney movies.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
How would you revaluate your speculation and how you view character chances if a character you see as very unlikely got in, like Shantae, KOSMOS, or Waluigi to give examples of characters I see as being very low chance overall by the community

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How would you revaluate your speculation and how you view character chances if a character you see as very unlikely got in, like Shantae, KOSMOS, or Waluigi to give examples of characters I see as being very low chance overall by the community
I mean a lot of people, myself included, used to see Sephiroth as unlikely

I say bring on more of those curveballs

also coincidentally I got this thread to talk about Shantae before his reveal so uhhhh let’s discuss more of these less discussed peeps eh?

Pillow

Smash Lord
There’s still only 3 slots left anyways so even if an oddball character got im not sure it would effect the chances of others characters, other than their chances across the board being hurt a bit from one more slot being taken.

That said, give me vocaloid in Smash. Then put Smash in Vocaloid so people can create songs using Captain Falcons punch sounds and Ness shouting PK fire.

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
pretty sure most of us have already had to deal with that this pack.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
pretty sure most of us have already had to deal with that this pack.
Yeah but I don't know how it changed your perspectives specifically

There’s still only 3 slots left anyways so even if an oddball character got im not sure it would effect the chances of others characters, other than their chances across the board being hurt a bit from one more slot being taken.

That said, give me vocaloid in Smash. Then put Smash in Vocaloid so people can create songs using Captain Falcons punch sounds and Ness shouting PK fire.
No not the chances I mean how it change how YOU assume chances are. Like for instance a lot of people say "Shantae has no chance Sans and Shovel Knight didn't get in so she won't get in " if she got in then this thinking would not only be wrong but completely flawed

Last edited by a moderator:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Hey all, I haven't been online in a while so I decided I might as well share my predictions for Nintendo's 2021 based on past data since im very behind on current speculation.

Mario 3d world + Bowser's Fury (confirmed)
New Pokémon Snap (confirmed)
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Remakes
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War Remake
2d Metroid
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Style Savvy 5
Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild 2
Zelda 3d collection
The Legend of Zelda Oracles of Seasons and Ages Remakes
Splatoon Spin-off

im also iffy on these two
3d Kirby
Donkey Kong Country 6

I also originally put down the localization of Famicom Detective Club Remake however the Japanese release got delayed to 2021 so i'm going to assume a localization will come out in 2022 at the earliest.

it would be fun to see everybody else's predictions to!

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
Yeah but I don't know how it changed your perspectives specifically
i mean, for me... i guess it's made me reavaluate which characters are possible? min min restored my hope for shantae maybe getting in(though, the end is closing in enough that that's down), steve in general made me(and most people) completely reavaluate what characters can and can't get in in general(i was in the "wants it but hopeless" camp for them before they came out), plant didn't really change much for me, and those are the only real surprises that really come to mind.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, I hope you're right and that they just claimed they're unsure (which actually would lead me to believe we ARE getting a FP3 because who doesn't love money?) I went to look up where I thought I saw the statement from, and it was around 35 minutes into the Byleth Direct. I can't listen to it while I'm at work, so I'm not sure exactly what he says but the statement I'm thinking of is from that video.
Say did you get to find the quote in that specific video?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh while I’m at it, I’ll do the “which of these three ‘unlikely’ characters is more likely to happen in pass 2” game:

Octoling, Ahri, Shantae

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
Oh while I’m at it, I’ll do the “which of these three ‘unlikely’ characters is more likely to happen in pass 2” game:

Octoling, Ahri, Shantae
i'll say shantae, and not just because i want her. she's gotten enough support and company love to already be an indie spirit(and min min was a spirit), for starters, has a long history, her creators want her in, and i've seen her series do some decent interaction with other nintendo-adjacent indie games(though, not to the same extent as shovel knight). can also make for a very dlc-y moveset.
octoling doesn't really feel like they have enough reaction oomph to get in in this set of dlc(granted, byleth.).
for ahri, in general i haven't really seen a huge amount of support for a lol rep(though might of not been looking around enough), and it seems like other things'll probably be repped sooner. on the other hand, seems perfectly poised to be another surprise rep. other-other hand, other possible reps might muddy her chances.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
i'll say shantae, and not just because i want her. she's gotten enough support and company love to already be an indie spirit(and min min was a spirit), for starters, has a long history, her creators want her in, and i've seen her series do some decent interaction with other nintendo-adjacent indie games(though, not to the same extent as shovel knight). can also make for a very dlc-y moveset.
octoling doesn't really feel like they have enough reaction oomph to get in in this set of dlc(granted, byleth.).
for ahri, in general i haven't really seen a huge amount of support for a lol rep(though might of not been looking around enough), and it seems like other things'll probably be repped sooner. on the other hand, seems perfectly poised to be another surprise rep. other-other hand, other possible reps might muddy her chances.
Some people think Sans or Shovel Knight and even The Knight from HK deserve it more than her what makes you think she has a better chance?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
And as for why Shadow in particular and not Eggman, Tails, or Knuckles, I think because

-2nd Most popular character
-Head of Sonic's Team (Iizuka) favorite character
-Moveset potential, with the Chaos powers
-ability to re-use Assets from Sonic and his assist trophy (though not for echo fighter, but for easier visualization of Moveset, and easier animation since they are familiar with how Sonic animates)

But that's just me. You do you, I do me, and the others do the others
I'm not really sure if the first one is true. The second point is fair though, especially considering how Min Min and Incineroar got in. But the 3rd point I'm not sure about because all of these characters have moveset potential, though Tails probably has slightly less than the other 3. But the 4th one, they added Steve from Minecraft, I don't think being able to reuse assets is a priority here.

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
Some people think Sans or Shovel Knight and even The Knight from HK deserve it more than her what makes you think she has a better chance?
i was comparing 3 options.
although, i'd put shovel knight higher if not for the assist trophy, which lowers his chance for me(though raises the chance for next game, or a much further dlc), sans being a premium mii also lowers the chance i'd give(again but also raises possible later chances), though sans didn't have that high a chance in my mind beforehand for some reason, but i'd rank the knights' chances similarly to shantae.
More like "Granted, Min Min/the hype peak being over".
actually, i was taking her into account; arms, as a whole, was one of those things that was both expect earlier but heavily dropped in expectation later, and not many expecting an arms rep expected her(most which i saw was spring man, ribbon girl, and a bit of coyle), and was enough of a surprise and weird moveset to have impact.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
they added Steve from Minecraft, I don't think being able to reuse assets is a priority here.
Ironic, considering his model is so reused from Minecraft that there's a script that lets you import your skin from your Minecraft account.

Still, as the resident "guy who wants to believe steve and sephiroth consumed the entire fp2 budget and wants people to believe at promotions are inevitable", I don't really see them using a lot of AT models for doing that. Mii costume models (not ones like Geno) are more likely since they have all the necessary shaders and polycounts for a fighter.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
A youtuber who makes movesets. Most of them are.... Really complex.
and some of them miss the key sometimes too.
Like, I was totally expecting this to happen, but I didn't really like his Eevee video.
I thought it was just about Partner Eevee being playable, even the whole wheel stuff is okay, but he went ahead talking about 8 standalone characters, not going down to a realistic amount of 3 under a singular, dev-friendly Eeveelution moveset.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
It depends on why I thought the given character was unlikely.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Me seeing people talk about Kingdom Hearts:

Let's make it clear firstly that it's not that people don't want Disney content in Smash, it's that if Disney movie content is what is holding Sora back from attending this Videogame Crossover, then most people would gladly see it go in favor of just the Kingdom Hearts original content.

The main point of contention is therefore:
"Sora must come with Disney movie content and that is why he CAN'T make it to Smash"
vs
"Sora does not need to come with Disney movie content and that is why he CAN make it to Smash."
You'll find people that like and dislike KH on either side of the fence because it's an argument that's more speculative than reliant on personal taste.

Now personally speaking, (just opinions)
I don't really care about the Disney movie content in Kingdom Hearts anymore. I haven't since the beginning of KH1 in 2002; pretty soon after starting the game it became less "KH is Disney x FF" and more "KH is a game about beating up stuff, oh look there's something from Disney/FF"
While it is cool and nostalgic to see FF characters as NPCs and Disney Worlds as the "levels" of the game, they aren't core to the story or central characters. They're used as sideshows and to exhibit whatever theme the game is trying to convey at the moment.
The only exceptions are Mickey, Donald, and Goofy but while they are important, they're not so important that I would deny the addition of Sora at their exclusion.
You could choose to just add KH original content and as a pretty big KH fan, I would not... really care. It's an extremely minor part of why I like KH as a franchise.

I still doubt Sora's getting in, because that means negotiating with Disney and apparently they're real pains in the asses when they choose to be, but the "Disney content" argument always seemed flimsy to me.
What is that GIF from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom