• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So with Ultimate finally having come to an end. What's everyone's overall thoughts and opinions to ever newcomer?

:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar:

:ultpiranha:

:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth:

:ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra:/:ultmythra::ultkazuya:Sora

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Can we talk about how they left Nick All Stars Brawl alone by not shadowdropping him, but still just said ''Oh it's so cute you're doing your little Smash thing?" So precious." and then just dropped a megawatt reveal like Sora on it's release day?
This is just setting the stage for the Doug Funnie Reveal of All Star Brawl, obviously:

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
With every fighter revealed now. I want to see a fanfic story based on the World of Light where Kirby meets and teams up with other survivors of Galeem's attack.

Those being Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, Byleth, Steve, and Sora.

Along their way they free Min Min and Pyra/Mythra. Both Kazuya and Sephiroth also survived Galeem's attack but they don't join the heroes.

Technomage

Smash Champion
The last reveal killed many theories, but one theory that comes to my mind and a theory I was interested in is the Rayman-in-the-iceberg theory; well, at least the question was finally answered, heh.

Shroob

Sup?
Aw man, I only like 2 of the songs Sora came with. And one's got the 60 euro pay wall
I feel like they'll either sell it separately, or give a bit of exclusivity period and sell it later.

They do an "Exclusivity" period for promo spirits, I could see them do the same for the music, where you can only get it via the game for like, 2-3 months, and then sell it later solo.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh wait-
Did they say anything about having DEMO data of that KH Rhythm game unlocking the extra bonus song? Or did they say you have to buy the full game?
The only game a demo's ever worked for was Dragon Quest 11s, I kinda doubt they'd do that for this, especially since lolDisney.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well, that's that for Smash Ultimate, and likely Smash as a whole for a solid decade if not more.

Right now I'm just sitting here as the dust settles and am just thinking to myself

View attachment 333365
We begin speculating what Smash 6 newcomers will be!

Guessing Waluigi, Dixie, Spring Man and Rex are certainly shoe-ins?

SKX31

Smash Master
Sora's patch.
One future Balance patch Post Sora.
One final one if needed.

Just like smash 4
I'm really hoping we get 3 post-Sora patches - while it's in a better state than Smash 4, Ultimate still has some issues with characters being a wee bit overtuned (:ultrob: comes to mind) and quite a lot of characters that are good but struggle just enough to be hobbled vs. a number of characters or who need (QoL) buffs.

I don't think Master Chief would top Sora to be honest. In the West he might get a bigger reception but as N3ON said you would lack the japanese reception. Also, Microsoft already having 2 characters in Ultimate kinda makes Master Chief less "impossible". Actually I think it's just a matter of time. Assuming Microsoft and Nintendo maintain a decent relationship in the following years, I'm quite sure he's gonna make it in Smash 6.

What I could see being at the same level is a Sony character, especially if it's Kratos or Nathan Drake as they're some of their biggest names. I don't think I have to explain why that would be big. Most of their big characters also lack japanese popularity, but between western appeal and the absolute shock that would be to have an actual Playstation character in Smash, I think it could rival Sora's addition.

Beyond that we would be talking about non videogame characters.
We'll have to see simply since it'll presumably be a while until Smash 6 becomes official reality. Quite a few games could become incredibly popular before then, and it will probably be a while until Sakurai decides to go with Smash 6's project plan (assuming he does). Especially if he decides to tackle another project entirely in between, like what KI Uprising was between Brawl and 4.

Also, I'm honestly not so sure how long the Western / Japanese dictonomy will hold. This is not to say Japan won't continue to be a very important console market for Nintendo - it likely will continue to be so - but there are a lot of other regions with steadily growing console fanbases. A company like Nintendo have shown interest in selling consoles globally (and there are quite a few smaller but notable Nintendo fandoms scattered around in those regions). Hell, the Ultimate period is when LatAm as a region solidified itself as (part of) a major one for Nintendo.

Those growing regions come with their own caveats though: For example, China's console fandom is affected or even stymied by the government's Moral Guardian-ism and regulatory hell (it's telling when BOTW 1 has been in approval limbo for 2+ years) - even if it's easy to import consoles from elsewhere. Those caveats do limit how fast console fandoms will grow.

So in the end, those growing regions are wildcards - but if they become more than say 10 % of Nintendo's pie combined I wouldn't be surprised if there's a shift in prioritisation.

Depends when those come out and if Ultimate's still doing spirit events by that point.

Do we even have a concrete release date for Ruined King?
Not yet AFAIK, it's "late 2021" still.

I feel that if it does well it'll help LoL's chances a lot though.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and buy Pikmin so you can get the Captain Olimar trophy.
Or participate in Japan only events to get a couple trophies:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think it's fair to say Bayonetta didn't do well on the ballot.

If she didn't, I don't think they would have claimed she did. I know "among realizable characters" puts things into doubt, but I'm confident she would have been among the top picks regardless.

Here's what I think happened.

We know Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta were worked on pretty early. Corrin was added later. I think that Corrin's spot was originally going to be for a ballot character, but then they saw that Bayonetta was doing REALLY well. They decided to have one character do double duty, and Bayonetta became a ballot character as well. Then they gave the extra slot to a promotional character, which became Corrin.

It's just a theory, but the stats given seem too specific to be an outright lie. They even coincide with some facts we already knew, like Bayonetta doing well in European polls.

Regardless, I'm happy Bayonetta, Sora, Ridley and the rest are all in. Truly the best timeline.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We begin speculating what Smash 6 newcomers will be!

Guessing Waluigi, Dixie, Spring Man and Rex are certainly shoe-ins?
Pyra/Mythra are probably gonna remain the way they are so RIP Rex again

Dixie probably. Octoling, Elma, Officer Howard and maybe the Ring Fit Trainee have a good shot next game, maybe also a Gen 8

as for third parties, I’m thinking Neku, LoL, Phoenix, maybe our first ever indie playable fighter

maybe a bombshell like Crash and/or Master Chief

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
So, we gonna still speculate on future balance patches, spirit events, and Mii costumes, or do those stop with the Sora pack?

Sora ain't even out and some of you really want to get right to Smash 6 already huh
Eh, I'm more interested in discussing the above; Smash 6 speculation can wait, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Pyra/Mythra are probably gonna remain the way they are so RIP Rex again
True.

Plus now that I think about it. Xenoblade 3 will likely be out by then so should probably expect the protagonist of that alongside Pyra/Mythra.

Poor Rex can't catch a break apparently. Has joined Waluigi and Spring Man.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Congratulations to the sora fanbase. Was a fitting way to end the pass. Moveset looks a tad lacking but he’s a popular pick and the trailer was pretty good

Gotta question for you all. Do you reckon planning on next game is happening as we speak or do you reckon sakurai is finally resting.

Personally I’m hoping he’s getting that rest.
There's Definitely Planning on the Next Smash game

Unless Nintendo and/or Sakurai want to shelve Smash as a series, which I doubt they would after seeing it become the Best Selling Fighting game of all time, They would always have to be planning something for the future.

With anything successful, there's always the starting of production on the Continuation. As example, While Mortal Kombat X (Base game) was Finishing up, Development on Injustice 2 likely started, and when that was finishing up, they got started on MK11, and continue and continue. Same thing with Namco likely working on Tekken 8 while Tekken 7 was finishing up, and then during it's DLC

It's not just with games either, It's also with Consoles. The PS6 and Next Xbox are probably in the Conception phase even though the PS5 and Xbox Series X just came out. Same thing with whatever is next for Nintendo after the Switch

In any case, I do bet that Nintendo and/or Sakurai are planning the Next game. New game is a better Idea than just a Fighter Pass 3 since Nintendo benefits more from Profit from New game purchases. I would say at least Half, or even more of Players only buy the Base game and that's it, no Attention paid to any of the DLC

So why not just continue Development into whatever the Next Smash game is? why not stop here?

I think the thing to remember is that besides Sakurai and his Wife, the Employees at Sora LTD. are contracted workers, and in this Case, they are Bandai Namco Employees

While I do think Planning is going on, I think the difference between the Hypothetical Next Smash and the Transition to Smash Ultimate is that the Project Plan was already finished for Ultimate by the time Smash 4 DLC was wrapping up, as Iwata had tasked Sakurai with making the Ultimate Smash game for the Nintendo NX. Since the Project Plan was complete, Development can go on Continuously RIGHT after the DLC was over

I Imagine that whatever is being planned, it's not a Complete Draft or Plan, and as such, Development won't be able to start right away after Ultmate's DLC. I'm sure Sakurai is loaded with Money to take a break for awhile, but I bet the Bandai Namco employees need some source of Continuous revenue, and I'm sure Bandai could use some hands on deck for projects in development, So the Employees will go back to Namco, until they are needed again for whatever the Next Smash is. That's why I think the Continuous Development ends here. You can't continue Something that's not ready to be continued

We've heard of No Comment situations and weird Answers be given from Companies like Epic Games and Koei in terms of their characters getting into Smash, and while they have no presence in the Actual Smash Ultimate game, I'm sure there's more going on than just nothing. I'm sure Nintendo and/or Sakurai have talked to More Companies about potential characters getting into Smash, just not at this exact moment

This would especially need to be done because if Smash is going to go even further into Crossing over all these game series, than it's best to start early on Negotiations so any complications can be dealt with earlier without Compromising potential Development

I think Judging not only from the Sales of Ultimate and what the game has accomplished, but also the addition of Fighter files in the game, in spite of Smash 4 making sure to use all the Files and slots in the data, even taking away Slots I believe, I'm gonna suspect that Nintendo and Sakurai are gonna try for a continuation on Ultimate. It seems impossible now with all the Licensing they got to do, especially since they just Added Sora to the game with that Disney Licensing. Here's some of my Reasoning

-While it is gonna be tough being able to handle all of these Licenses, the thing Smash Ultimate has achieved is a Pedigree of being the Crossover Fighter. Max talked about how Getting characters like Cloud and Sephiroth is a very Tough, and Expensive Task for anyone to do, but because Sakurai has established a level of Quality and Consistency in his Development of Smash, it was likely much Easier than usual to achieve these characters

Smash Ultimate is the Best Selling Fighting game of all time. If Smash was big before, Than Smash Ultimate as established the series as Legend other Legends strive to be with.

It's likely gonna be easier than ever to get Characters from 3rd party Companies, and the More Crossover you add, the More and More other Series and Franchises and Companies are gonna want to join in. It's a Successful Loop that Smash is now in a Prime position to take advantage of

-I Imagine the Switch is gonna have a Long, Long lifecycle. I don't think Nintendo is ever gonna make a Pure Console or Pure Handheld ever again, and I think for the time being, we might start just getting Improved models on the Nintendo Switch

I think Long enough that it might be too long for a Smash game to wait for a Completely new console, and I'm sure Nintendo wants to continue Smash as a Series sooner rather than Later

However I think many people might stick with the OG Switch for perhaps the entire time until Nintendo do come out with Something completely New, and if there are to be 2 Smash games on a Similiar console, I don't think Nintendo and/or Sakurai would want to break up Audience like that

That's why I think whatever New Smash game comes out after Ultimate, is gonna continue Ultimate, so that people that have stuck with the Base game can still feel included with perhaps New content. If the Slots data are anything, it does support the idea of content from the New Smash game being transferable to Ultimate

-Sakurai knows how Close he is to having 100 Characters in a Smash game, and I think he does want to achieve that Achievement as well

-If BOTW2 is any Indication, they are willing to continue the Success of a Particular game without having to Re-invent the entire thing and also release it on the Same console that game came on. Granted there is alot of variable to Consider, like how BOT2 is a combination of Planned DLC that is saved for BOTW2 as of now, and that BOTW2 doesn't have any of the Licensing Cost Smash Ultimate does, but it's still something to Consider

Same thing with Splatoon 2 and Splatoon 3. Splatoon 3 doesn't seem to be changing the Formula that much, but I bet many People are gonna buy Splatoon 3 despite Splatoon 2 being Switch Exclusive also

So that's what is making me think the Next Smash is an Ultimate continuation, now what do I expect in an Ultimate Continuation

The thing with Ultimate is that the Base game was focused on Bringing stuff back. DLC is the Main Carrier of New, never before seen content in this game, otherwise the amount of Actual New content is kind of Lacking than usual

Since the Base of Ultimate is already made, with everyone already being Developed and Balanced, This time the Dev team can focus on Adding New content even in the Base game, So I would expect the following things

-A Big, Platforming like Story mode. The Reasons World of Light is the way it is is because there was not enough time to Develop a Story mode Similiar to Subspace and such, but since the Base of the game is Already made, Now there can be more time and focus allocated to the Story Mode.

While Smash does sell itself on Multiplayer and the Roster, the Single Player also matters too, it adds to the Production Values. That's what puts Mortal Kombat over other Fighting Games as an example

-More Characters. Since Sakurai is officially counting 89 Fighters, he would need to add in at least 11 More to get to 100. Balancing the Newcomers with the ever increasing Amount of Fighters is gonna be a Task, but I do imagine we could get a Regular amount of Newcomers with this Continuation of Ultimate Base game

I also imagine DLC will be a thing with whatever the New Smash game is

I think the Characters would be the only thing Transferable to Base Ultimate, besides maybe some Gameplay Tweaks and Online Improvements. I think the Story Mode will be an exclusive

-New Gameplay Features. This would also need to be changed with Base Ultimate. Perhaps adding things like Wavedashing, Air Dashing, EX Moves, or just More Specials at once can go a long way in helping to make things feel more fresh despite the ever increasing amount of Re-used Assets

-More Cosmetics. I heard a Reason every character only has 8 Costumes is because of the Lack of Memory to hold everything. I bet exclusive to the Next Smash game, perhaps Cosmetics will be a big part and go over the 8 Costume mark. Perhaps DLC Costumes can be sold

-Graphical tweaks and Improvements. Obviously, to showcase the Power of whatever the Next Switch Model is

-Improved Online. Whether it's Rollback, or some other Method that Nintendo Feels is best, I think the ability to Sell a New Smash game is gonna give Nintendo and/or Sakurai to go back and re-invent the Online and Netcode, which could perhaps be applicable to Base Smash Ultimate and the New Smash. However perhaps Base Ultimate might have limited form of Improvement, if NASB is any indication only providing Rollback for 2 Players

As for what type of Fighters we are gonna get in this Next Smash

-With Sora being added as the True Ballot Winner, I think the Ballot is not gonna factor into the Character Choices anymore. Whether there's a New Ballot that's made, or Nintendo and/or Sakurai is gonna keep take Social Media requests as law, I think characters being added for being Requested is not gonna depend on the Ballot anymore

-The Switch Library is gonna be Explored some more. Ring Fit, Gen 8 Pokemon, Astral Chain, and perhaps Future Titles are gonna express the Nintendo Library. In the Case of Gen 8 Pokemon, since by this point the Popular Pokemon has been determined, we might not get a Starter as a representation, which would be Nice Change of Pace

-Requested Fighters that had their Biggest Break in Ultimate is gonna have some Consideration. Waluigi, Geno, Skull Kid, Isaac, Shadow, Ashley, Bandana Dee, Porky, Eggman, are examples, At least among 1st party or Franchises already with Playable characters

-I think the Biggest thing is gonna be the Increased focus on Crossovers in the Roster. I doubt they would take a Majority of the Base Roster Spots, especially due to the Licensing, but we are gonna get some Big characters to sell on the Big Roster.

-From Companies already with Playable characters, we got Franchises like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider, Tales of, Nier, Ace Attorney, Dark Souls, Soul Calibur, Bomberman, Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, Silent Hill, and Halo and now Technically Doom, Fallout, and Skyrim as examples of Some Well Known, Popular, and/or Iconic Franchies

-From Companies that are Represented, but not with Characters, we Got Rayman, Assassins Creed, Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Ninja Gaiden, and All the Indie Franchises like Undertale, Cuphead, Shantae, Shovel Knight

and From Companies not Represented, We got Fortnite, League of Legends, Crash Bandicoot, Overwatch, GTA, Mortal Kombat, Any Falcom Franchise like Trails of and Y's, Danganronpa, Professor Layton, And Other Indies franchises or Series like Hollow Knight, Hades, Touhou, Goose Game, Among Us,

I think a Majority of the Base Roster is gonna be about Expanding the Crossover of the Series. I think for once the Amount of 3rd Party Newcomers on the Base Roster is actually gonna outnumber the Amount of 1st Party

FPS is the Biggest Genre missing, So I Imagine that would be placed in the Base roster. I actually think all the FPS (and/or Shooter) characters are gonna share the Same potential FPS type gameplay Gimmick, with their own Abilities to showcase their Home Series separate from one another

I Imagine most of the Characters added from the Japanese Side are gonna be from Companies already in, since Franchises owned by Japanese Companies without a Character tend to be on average more Niche than franchises from Comapnies like Capcom, Sega, Namco, Square, etc.

Since Sakurai and the Team now have experience working with Western Characters as Playable characters, I definitely expect to see more.

This has been a very Long post. Now that Ultimate is Over in terms of Speculation, I'm already looking towards the Future when it comes to the Next Smash, and these are my Thoughts. Sora is a Really good finale (Gripes about his Representation aside), and is gonna help tide Smash fans over until the Next Game. I think the fact they were able to Negotiate with Disney is a good sign of the Future, it showcases the Power that Smash has emerged with Thanks to Smash Ultimate success

I think the ideas I have provided forward are very Optimistic in Nature, but with that being said, I do think it is likely, and I do think there are signs that point toward at least the Next Smash taking the Crossover Aspect to the Next Level.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who’s disappointed mario didn’t die in the trailer. I kinda grown into expecting a Mario death per trailer. When he reached into the fire and through it I was expecting whoever it was to just throw it straight back at him.

also NGL I was thinking it was gonna be king boo from the way the trailer was. Mario being left all alone going towards a fire in the floor whilst the rest were turned into trophies. I deffo had king boo vibes NGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom