• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Seeing as that's before Steve was even revealed, this feels a bit too early to be anything but a coincidence
The thing is that there really wasn't an Amiibo that goes well with Steve

Banjo would have been the only one to fit, but considering he's Brand new amiibo that hasn't come out yet (but was revealed in Steve's presentation), what were they gonna do

Cloud goes with Sephiroth, and depending on the character Ryu goes with who's next, at least that's how the Theory goes

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
In terms of characters defying conventions, we could end up with a few in the second fighter's pass that are all the only exceptions to their respective broken fan rules. Min Min could be the only spirit promotion, Steve as the only Western third party fighter not originating on a strictly Nintendo console, and Sephiroth as the only second (non-echo) fighter from a pre-existing third party franchise. Then just as an example Capcom could get another character as fighter 9, and then be the only third party with four characters.

It would be an amusing and sad irony if all the sentiment about the broader implications about what these character's inclusion really meant would end up being all for naught in the end.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It just occurred to me that my predictions for the last three fighters in FP2 are reflections of the first three
  • Lloyd and Sephiroth are big JRPG characters
  • Reimu and Steve are both indies (Or was an indie, in Steve's case)
  • Isaac and Min Min both have Spirits in the base game
Huh

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ryu Hayabusa's reveal I feel would be the classic NES intro with:ultgreninja:and:ultsheik:and Ryu making his appearance interfering in their fight beating one of them before fighting the other.
My concurrence. This has it.

I think that, in Japanese, the word for "beard" and "mustache" is the same thing.

That's the only explanation that I can think of for why this guy is called Whitebeard:
Was going to say exactly this, example and all.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I'd imagine that if there's a chance that a character from a returning series became DLC they would have to either fill in the necessary gaps that is missing from base game (like Final Fantasy and ARMS) or bring new content from a new entry (3 Houses).

That's why I'm not all aboard on Chun-Li, Dee, and Dixie being a DLC and of course, Waluigi.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Wait also what's the Round 2 pattern?
Oh sorry. Its a pattern in which we get only one Fighting Game Character per each Batch of Smash Content.
Smash 4 DLC: Ryu
Smash Ultimate Base: Ken
Smash Ultimate FP1: Terry
Smash Ultimate FP2: Min Min
I noticed it a while back and my friends and I started calling it the Round 2 Pattern.
Sorry for not clarifying earlier.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Oh sorry. Its a pattern in which we get only one Fighting Game Character per each Batch of Smash Content.
I noticed it a while back and my friends and I started calling it the Round 2 Pattern.
Now watch as someone "breaks" it, only for one of you to say the pattern applies to third-party fighters. :p

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Now watch as someone "breaks" it, only for one of you to say the pattern applies to third-party fighters. :p
Not to be Captain Contrarian or anything, but Min Min is from a different brand of fighting game than Terry and the shotos, and she sticks out a lot when grouped with them. In this situation, I'd be looking for characters with the 1v1 facing and command inputs

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Random but cute picture featuring a lot of Capcom characters

7NATOR

Smash Master
I see

To be honest, While ARMS is a Fighting game, I can't really put Min-Min in the same category as the other characters added

Like for example, I doubt we would get Sol and Chun-Li in the Same pass, or Sol and Scorpion, or Scorpion and Chun-Li. all 3 of these appeal to that more Traditional Fighting game audience and stuff

ARMS Demographic I would say say is different enough that I could see another Fighting game character come into this pass. It's weird to explain, but it's just a different vibe from the rest

But even I Noticed this pattern as well. Personally when it comes to patterns, while it's something to take notice of, I don't think it's wise to just put all your marbles in a pattern just because it is one. If the pattern doesn't make sense logically, It's hard to get behind it.

SKX31

Smash Master
I just imagine Arc Warden showing up and imprisoning Galeem and Dharkon within the moon because from his viewpoint they're basically Radinthul 2.0 and Diruulth 2.0 except omnicidal.

Though Invoker could work for such a trailer. Cataclysm outta nowhere.
Part of me wonders how they'd implement the Quas Wex Exort system into Smash though. Invoker's already (in)famous for being very complex to control in Dota, and honestly I doubt that Sakurai would let the "One elemental per keyboard key, 3 elementals needed for a spell" system fly without adjusting the system a bit.

One way to do it - outside of integrating his 10 spells into his normals somehow (how though... given that he's practically AoE everywhere) - might be to split the spells up for (relative) simplicity's sake (and for everyone else's sanity), perhaps choosing like mini-Monado wheels:

• The Disarm-wave Deafening Blast might be best suited as the Neutral B. (Since it's the QWE spell)
  • Quas (Ice) spells could be Down B - between the Mini-Stun inducing Cold Snap, the Invisibility spell (with a slow to nearby opponents of course) Ghost Walk, and his AoE Slow spell Ice Wall.
  • Wex (Storm and electricity) could be Up B - shifting between the AoE damaging EMP, the similarily AoE / perhaps recovery option Tornado, and the self / team mate attack speed buff Alacrity.
  • And Exort (Fire) could be Side B - what with the Chaos Meteor (seemingly self explanatory), Sun Strike (also self explanatory) and the familiar-summoning Forge Spirits.

It'd be extremely difficult to implement him regardless, but that might be one way that would be less headache inducing. Partly because he'd have access to four spells at all times, but would still need to choose for the situation.

If I may be so bold (sorry if this is going too far):

If it's Scorpion / Sub-Zero, then I'd have to ask Þe 1 → Way Þe 1 → Way to eat his hat metaphorically.

If it's Amingo, I'd have to ask him to learn how to play samba music.

:4pacman:

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Random but cute picture featuring a lot of Capcom characters
Its funny that the company has such a multitude of characters that they could do Capcom vs. Itself and still have a roster more interesting and dynamic than 95% of all fighting games. Heck if anything that sort of title would be a great chance to bring back a Regina from Dino Crisis or Nina from Breath of Fire because eh, why the hell not?

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Not to be Captain Contrarian or anything, but Min Min is from a different brand of fighting game than Terry and the shotos, and she sticks out a lot when grouped with them. In this situation, I'd be looking for characters with the 1v1 facing and command inputs

This is how Nightmare win?

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Part of me wonders how they'd implement the Quas Wex Exort system into Smash though. Invoker's already (in)famous for being very complex to control in Dota, and honestly I doubt that Sakurai would let the "One elemental per keyboard key, 3 elementals needed for a spell" system fly without adjusting the system a bit.

One way to do it - outside of integrating his 10 spells into his normals somehow (how though... given that he's practically AoE everywhere) - might be to split the spells up for (relative) simplicity's sake (and for everyone else's sanity), perhaps choosing like mini-Monado wheels:

• The Disarm-wave Deafening Blast might be best suited as the Neutral B. (Since it's the QWE spell)
  • Quas (Ice) spells could be Down B - between the Mini-Stun inducing Cold Snap, the Invisibility spell Ghost Walk, and his Slow spell Ice Wall.
  • Wex (Storm and electricity) could be Up B - shifting between the AoE damaging EMP, the similarily AoE / perhaps recovery option Tornado, and the self / team mate attack speed buff Alacrity.
  • And Exort (Fire) could be Side B - what with the Chaos Meteor (seemingly self explanatory), Sun Strike (also self explanatory) and the familiar-summoning Forge Spirits.

It'd be extremely difficult to implement him regardless, but that might be one way that would be less headache inducing. Partly because he'd have access to four spells at all times, but would still need to choose for the situation.

If I may be so bold (sorry if this is going too far):

If it's Scorpion / Sub-Zero, then I'd have to ask Þe 1 → Way Þe 1 → Way to eat his hat metaphorically.

If it's Amingo, I'd have to ask him to learn how to play samba music.

:4pacman:
Its not too far, I will say it now. If another fighting game character gets in this pass, I will actually eat a hat. I will also eat two if its Sub Zero because theres no way its Sub Zero.
If its Amingo I’ll play samba music while eating said hat.
I see

To be honest, While ARMS is a Fighting game, I can't really put Min-Min in the same category as the other characters added

Like for example, I doubt we would get Sol and Chun-Li in the Same pass, or Sol and Scorpion, or Scorpion and Chun-Li. all 3 of these appeal to that more Traditional Fighting game audience and stuff

ARMS Demographic I would say say is different enough that I could see another Fighting game character come into this pass. It's weird to explain, but it's just a different vibe from the rest

But even I Noticed this pattern as well. Personally when it comes to patterns, while it's something to take notice of, I don't think it's wise to just put all your marbles in a pattern just because it is one. If the pattern doesn't make sense logically, It's hard to get behind it.
Thats fair, I just feel like riding this out specifically. It might not mean anything. But its fun to take a hard stance every now and then.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It just occurred to me that my predictions for the last three fighters in FP2 are reflections of the first three
  • Lloyd and Sephiroth are big JRPG characters
  • Reimu and Steve are both indies (Or was an indie, in Steve's case)
  • Isaac and Min Min both have Spirits in the base game
Huh
Actually, mine are too:

Min Min, Isaac: Already represented in some form
Steve, Eevee: Appeals to casuals
Sephiroth, Rex: From a JRPG series already represented with a fighter, but whose representation was/is still considered incomplete by fans.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Is it normal for a song to get you hyped for a character?
I've been listening to this song on loop for a few days and now I'm really into the idea of a SMT rep. Not even just because they might bring this song.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Its funny that the company has such a multitude of characters that they could do Capcom vs. Itself and still have a roster more interesting and dynamic than 95% of all fighting games.
SO WHY WON'T THEY?!

sob

If another fighting game character gets in this pass, I will actually eat a hat.
Hayabusa hands you the mustard

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So actually, I'm surprised no one mentioned it, but there is some bad news for Crash fans (Potentially, it's not officially confirmed)

New Crash cartoon at Amazon axed yesterday after a year of development. No cartoon coming. : crashbandicoot (reddit.com)

/v/ - Amazon had and cancelled a Crash Bandicoot cartoon - Video Games - 4chan (4channel.org)

The OG Post of the Reddit post was deleted (comments still there), but the 4Chan leak has the stuff

Pretty much a Crash Cartoon was worked on, but apparently canceled after a year of work. Apparently it was over the tone of the Cartoon, as Activison and Amazon wanted different thing. It's not officially deconfirmed, but there is actual footage and stuff, so if this was fake this person really put in the effort

For what this has to do with Smash, nothing specifically, it just shows how these things take alot of discussion and negotiations. Between something like this happening, and the thing with Ash in MK11, that's why it's important all the details are ironed out when it comes to negotiating for characters in Smash

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's interesting is that this is the second time there's been a potential Crash animation that didn't go anywhere:

This cartoon (AKA Jim Cummings picks up a paycheck) was intended for the first Crash title, with speculation that might have been a general test/proof of concept by the company for a potential TV series tied into the games.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So actually, I'm surprised no one mentioned it, but there is some bad news for Crash fans (Potentially, it's not officially confirmed)

New Crash cartoon at Amazon axed yesterday after a year of development. No cartoon coming. : crashbandicoot (reddit.com)

/v/ - Amazon had and cancelled a Crash Bandicoot cartoon - Video Games - 4chan (4channel.org)

The OG Post of the Reddit post was deleted (comments still there), but the 4Chan leak has the stuff

Pretty much a Crash Cartoon was worked on, but apparently canceled after a year of work. Apparently it was over the tone of the Cartoon, as Activison and Amazon wanted different thing. It's not officially deconfirmed, but there is actual footage and stuff, so if this was fake this person really put in the effort

For what this has to do with Smash, nothing specifically, it just shows how these things take alot of discussion and negotiations. Between something like this happening, and the thing with Ash in MK11, that's why it's important all the details are ironed out when it comes to negotiating for characters in Smash
Oof that ain't good. Honestly I've been feeling Crash's chances had been getting less likely overtime, I think this definitely a huge blow.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
censor-dodging
At first I was confused on why a failed (and by frankly, bad looking) cartoon had to do with Smash chances

Until I saw this reply form a anon
Screenshot_20210112-223013_Chrome.jpg

And yeeeahhh, yikes, this anon makes a extremely damning point
censored crash.png

As someone who is in the industry, let me tell you that Netflix is notorious for picking up anything and everything

They bloody funded Adam Sandler movies and picked up Cuties of all things (and all those cheap children cgi feats)

So if Activision somehow managed to piss off one of the most easy to persuade companies that is notorious for having no standards...

Yeah... This is extremely bad look for Crash coming in Smash
EDIT: THEY PISSED OFF AMAZON TOO?

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I definitely can say Crash is pretty much out of the running then. Any chances that were becoming less and less likely have pretty much drastically dropped to zero.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I can understand why Nickelodeon skipped, because they more instrested on doing cheap reboots, Canadian productions, and cheap cgi shows of safe, recognizable licenses. (They only picked on ONE orginal IP / creator driven show this decade)

But, didn't Activision like... published some Spongebob games in the past?

You would think they would have some leeway or some instrest because of that?

But, eh, Nickelodeon did try to make there own video game mascot and it bombed, add on to the fact that partnership with a long time ago and that Nick has a whole completely different management, I surpose I can see why they didn't brother

I don't even think cabel companies like Nickelodeon do license games anymore

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
At first I was confused on why a failed (and by frankly, bad looking) cartoon had to do with Smash chances

View attachment 299097

View attachment 299098
As someone who is in the industry, let me tell you that Netflix is notorious for picking up anything and everything

They bloody funded Adam Sandler movies and picked up Cuties of all things (and all those cheap children cgi feats)

So if Activision somehow managed to piss off one of the most easy to persuade companies that is notorious for having no standards...

Wait is this a soft deconfirmation to our Bandicoot? Does it also apply to Blizzard as well Damn, I would never imagine that they will go down this route.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

4chan likes to exaggerate so while the footage I believe is real the reasonings don't seem that solid. The person who posted the original deleted their account and from what I can gather from the comments, There is no proof that the Show was actually cancelled just worked on at some point and he was overly hostile. There are also some claims that sound like complete bull (According the to the remaining Reddit comments) apparently the op said that Activision wanted Mario in it and that Amazon cancelled it because of a single joke, Which is not how animation or production works. The dates on a few of the original Google Drive link were all April 1st, So take this with a grain of salt.

View attachment 299097

View attachment 299098

This reads like your stereotypical "Activision Bad and greedy give like please" posts that 4chan, Reddit and this site like to do

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I definitely can say Crash is pretty much out of the running then. Any chances that were becoming less and less likely have pretty much drastically dropped to zero.
I would never say his chances are Zero

But honestly I'm really not expecting him in the game now. For awhile I was became very confident that Crash would NOT be one of the DLC Characters, despite how the Speculation community likes to predict him all the time

The big reason is that Activison might have been hard to work with, and Crash blew up again around 2017, but I honestly don't think it's enough time to be able to negotiate with Activision for Crash in Smash, at least for Ultimate, and there were other Priorities in the end

If all of this cartoon stuff is true, I'm not even sure about him being in Smash 6. If it's really this much of an hassle they might skip on him entirely for awhile. They might be better off trying to get Mickey Mouse/Sora because that would be a much larger deal than Crash

However this if all the stuff is true. If it's not than that leaves the discussion more optimistic

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

View attachment 299097

View attachment 299098

To be honest, I HAVE considered the possibility of that 5-year plan being real, only for something to fall through (be it by Nintendo, Activision, or both). This... doesn't give me much hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom