• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd also like to add that Lloyd is also the most popular Tales protagonist, just with the Smash fanbase (And arguably the general audience as well) instead of the Tales fanbase. The argument basically boils down to if you think Nintendo would appeal to the Smash fanbase or the Tales fanbase; I'm personally leaning towards the former, since that's Nintendo's game.
I think there's also the consideration that Yuri has a game people can buy right now on modern consoles. For Lloyd you need a PS3, Gamecube, or a good PC.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean.

Terry = Akira
Byleth = Mega Man X and Zero
Min Min = Heihachi
Steve = Gil
Sephiroth = Chocobo Hat and Geno

See the pattern? That's why I'm skeptical of Lloyd as with Monster Hunter and leaning towards Yuri.
Honestly at this point the most consistent pattern is DLCs breaking patterns. Fighters need decent Nintendo connections? :ultjoker: No Western characers? :ultbanjokazooie: Series need to be big? :ult_terry: Spirits won't be promoted? :ultminmin Third-parties won't get represented again for DLC? :ultsephiroth:

At this rate the returning Miis are going to be the next pattern broken.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Spirits won't be promoted? :ultminmin
Case in point with this until I see other spirits being promoted, I feel this may have been an exception being under the request of the ARMS creator.

One might point out to Sakurai considering Ninjara but the ARMS rep as a whole never the less was under the creators request.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I think Nintendo's aiming more for profitability than uniqueness.
They could still make a ton of Money off of Alucard, considering his Game in the Castlevania Series is the most important due to it and Super Metroid creating the Metroidvania. Not only that, but Metal Slug has a Decent Chinese Following, plus barely anything besides those Six Tracks Terry smuggled in. That and SNK is EXTREMELY Easy to work with, so if Nintendo were to ever get concerned about the Budget and still wanted a Third Party, SNK is RIGHT THERE!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I have been working on a somewhat tangential theory myself - Trailer Theory

some can stand on their own like Steve or Terry or Byleth or Joker, but others might be follow ups to other trailers or have a connection to something else.

Banjo’s trailer - sequel to K. Rool’s
Hero’s trailer - post-WoL Bad Ending A (Galeem alone is defeated, Dharkon spreads their corruption all across the universe, everyone is being controlled. Link’s the last one to avoid giving in until the Heroes appear)
Sephiroth’s trailer - post-WoL Bad Ending B (Dharkon alone is defeated, Galeem is about to erase everyone else again. But for real this time. At least until Sephiroth kills them and is like “my city now”)
I make this sound like a visual novel lmao

what I think we might see
  • Final Battle trailer vs both Galeem AND Dharkon (boi if it ain’t Elma with Uncontrollable playing imma be miffed)
  • Sequel to Simon/Richter’s trailer (Reimu because Embodiment of Scarlet Devil? Ryu Hayabusa because NES connection?)
  • Sequel to Ridley’s Trailer (Master Chief? KOS-MOS?)
  • MAYBE a sequel to Kencineroar too? Assuming there’s more dlc after this pass ends
There definitely seems to be a decent amount of reuse for the DLC trailers. I don’t mind it tbh.

The Final Battle trailer could fit well for Dante since he’s a powerhouse. They could have a Dante/Bayonetta teamup for maximum fan service hours. Maybe Rex or the some Zelda characters could work well here too.

Ryu could work for the Castlevania trailer sequel. But I think Resident Evil would be perfect for it, too bad that’s probably not happening.

I’ll throw in Doom Slayer, Gordon Freeman & Bill Rizer’s names as potential Ridley sequel trailers.

If we get Crash, I could see them reusing the jungle setting of the K Rool/Banjo trailer but not the fake out bit.
Going off of this, I'm going to try and compile a list of each represented companies' biggest possible series. Please do review this list; I want to make sure it's accurate. Bold is already represented in the base game, italics are a maybe, strikethrough has post-launch content. Fighters who got a DLC pack. are strikethrough'd and bolded, as are companies who got a pack in FP2 specifically. I'll take interviews and such into account later.

Konami
  • Metal Gear
    • Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
  • Castlevania - Already covered, very extensively I must add. Not sure there's much left that count feasibly be added at this point.
  • Bomberman
  • Frogger
  • Contra
  • Silent Hill
Sega (Atlus)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Eggman Empire - Not necessarily a subseries or game, but is a side of the series that hasn't been covered yet
  • Persona
    • Shin Megami Tensei - Ironic that it's listed under Pesona, when it's the other way around
  • Yakuza
  • Puyo Puyo
  • Sakura Wars
Capcom
  • Mega Man
    • Mega Man X
    • Mega Man Battle Network
    • Mega Man Legends
  • Street Fighter
    • Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
    • Street Fighter IV
  • Monster Hunter
    • Only a boss; Full pack isn't out of the running
    • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Resident Evil, also known as Biohazard in Japan...
  • Devil May Cry
  • Ace Attorney
Bandai-Namco
  • Pac-Man
  • Tekken
  • Tales
  • Dark Souls
  • Digimon?
Square Enix (Taito)
  • Final Fantasy
  • Dragon Quest
  • Kingdom Hearts?
  • Tomb Raider
  • Nier: Automata
  • Space Invaders
  • Bubble Bobble
Microsoft (Rare, various indies)
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Minecraft
  • Cuphead?
  • Halo
SNK
  • Fatal Fury
    • King of Fighters
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Metal Slug
Again, feel free to review this list and give me some suggestions. I want to make this one a definitive list.
It’s not really likely except maybe as a Spirit Event or Mii costume, but Gears of War should go under the Microsoft section.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I must stress that the Tales Livestream Theory is not because of the anniversary, just the major streamed event that happens to line up with the next predicted DLC date. Heck, it's not even on the actual anniversary date; That was in December.
Although it was delayed due to COVID. It was originally going to air on the actual anniversary date. Revealing a Smash character then would imply that COVID affected development more than Sakurai let us in on.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Well, I never back down from a challenge! Here's what I got:
Empty Roster.png

So I limited myself to the same size as Thorgi's MvC4 roster: 48, meaning 24 per company. However, unlike that one, you'll notice that the Capcom side has way more returning characters than new ones. That's by design - the Nintendo side is going to be entirely newcomers no matter what, so all the returning characters have to come from the Capcom side. In addition to that, I also wanted the Capcom side to focus a bit more on their history with Nintendo, given the other side of the crossover and all.

Overall... hm. I'm not sure about how this one turned out, myself? You might be able to tell, but my finger's not quite on the pulse of the Capcom scene - and MvC has a different sort of philosophy to its character picks that I'm finding it hard to capture. In my opinion, I think the Nintendo side came out a little bit... too safe, in my opinion.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

some can stand on their own like Steve or Terry or Byleth or Joker, but others might be follow ups to other trailers or have a connection to something else.

Hero’s trailer - post-WoL Bad Ending A (Galeem alone is defeated, Dharkon spreads their corruption all across the universe, everyone is being controlled. Link’s the last one to avoid giving in until the Heroes appear)
Sephiroth’s trailer - post-WoL Bad Ending B (Dharkon alone is defeated, Galeem is about to erase everyone else again. But for real this time. At least until Sephiroth kills them and is like “my city now”)

• Final Battle trailer vs both Galeem AND Dharkon (boi if it ain’t Elma with Uncontrollable playing imma be miffed)
  • Sequel to Simon/Richter’s trailer (Reimu because Embodiment of Scarlet Devil? Ryu Hayabusa because NES connection?)
  • MAYBE a sequel to Kencineroar too? Assuming there’s more dlc after this pass ends
At this point I'm half-expecting Lloyd to be a third costume fakeout. Monster Hunter has costumes left too, but a Hunter doesn't strike me as the type of character to pull that. Besides, who would we use for the fakeout? Ike? Cloud? They don't seem like the type of character to do that.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I can't speak on Castlevania, but I promise you there's definitely new content that can feasibly be added for SNK.
I certainly won't argue with that, but I feel like they were just alluding to how much content Terry came with that could have been held off for another SNK character down the line. It just seems like a stretch to see anyone else from the company make it in as DLC, given how Terry was treated as a celebration for the company as a collective whole, but hopefully we can see more in a future installment.

I for one really really want to see Metal Slug get more love.

Last edited:
Although it was delayed due to COVID. It was originally going to air on the actual anniversary date. Revealing a Smash character then would imply that COVID affected development more than Sakurai let us in on.
Or it was one hell of a coincidence that just happened to work out for the better. I do think Tales is possible for the next fighter, but just like with Monster Hunter, I don't personally think the dates have anything to do with the DLC order.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Personally, I see no timeline where we get Chun-Li, but not another Sonic character, so if Chun-Li is in, we getting either Eggman, Tails, Shadow, & Knuckles

Though for Chun-li being scrapped for Ken, So far in Ultimate some series have gotten 1 Echo and 1 Unique newcomer (Mario, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Metroid) so the same thing could happen to Street Fighter, though Ken might be considered more of an unique character though due to his changes, but Street fighter still has an unique slot if this pattern continues
I don't think that's a guarantee, especially that Sega might want to prioritize one of their other IPs.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean.

Joker = Tails and Knuckles
Banjo = Proto Man and Zero
Terry = Akira
Byleth = Mega Man X and EXE
Min Min = Heihachi
Steve = Gil
Sephiroth = Chocobo Hat and Geno

See the pattern? That's why I'm skeptical of Lloyd as with Monster Hunter and leaning towards Yuri.
This theory has all the sense of saying Isabelle and Dark Samus wouldn't be upgraded because previous ATs returned.

I can't speak on Castlevania, but I promise you there's definitely new content that can feasibly be added for SNK.
Infeasible isn't the right word so much as implausible. It's implausible they add more.

I think there's also the consideration that Yuri has a game people can buy right now on modern consoles. For Lloyd you need a PS3, Gamecube, or a good PC.
Seems more like something Namco would care about than the ones calling the shots, Nintendo.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Or it was one hell of a coincidence that just happened to work out for the better. I do think Tales is possible for the next fighter, but just like with Monster Hunter, I don't personally think the dates have anything to do with the DLC order.
Yeah, especially considering that a reveal there would mean that they swapped the Tales character with Sephiroth in the reveal order, because I'm doubtful that they would show off 2 characters in December.

Seems more like something Namco would care about than the ones calling the shots, Nintendo.
Probably, yeah. It's just something to add to the equation. Whether it mattered would depend on how talks went down. If Nintendo knew they wanted something from the series but didn't have a definitive preference it could come into play.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Some thoughts on this

-I guess because Dharkon did not die, I really didn't consider Hero's Trailer to be an ending Trailer, but honestly the scenario you presented does make sense, especially since Hero is...well a Hero, going against the Darkness.

-I doubt the Castlevania trailer would be re-used, even if Ryu got in. I guess it is possible, but I'm not sure

-I think if we get Another fighting game character, we'll get a Sequel to Kencineroar, especially if the Character in question is based around Fire (Sol or Scorpion). Chun-Li could also work though also

-I need to ask why Elma would fit for the Final Battle Trailer against Galeem and Dharkon? Is it because she can summon Skells to go against them? is there some narrative symbolism from Xenoblade Chronicles X that fits with going against both Light and Darkness, or something like that

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Some thoughts on this

-I guess because Dharkon did not die, I really didn't consider Hero's Trailer to be an ending Trailer, but honestly the scenario you presented does make sense, especially since Hero is...well a Hero, going against the Darkness.

-I doubt the Castlevania trailer would be re-used, even if Ryu got in. I guess it is possible, but I'm not sure

-I think if we get Another fighting game character, we'll get a Sequel to Kencineroar, especially if the Character in question is based around Fire (Sol or Scorpion). Chun-Li could also work though also

-I need to ask why Elma would fit for the Final Battle Trailer against Galeem and Dharkon? Is it because she can summon Skells to go against them? is there some narrative symbolism from Xenoblade Chronicles X that fits with going against both Light and Darkness, or something like that
No, in the ending where you kill only Galeem, Dharkon controls everything, hence why Hero’s is in a timeline where Galeem dies first.

if Dharkon dies first, Galeem tries to erase everyone. In OG WoL, they succeed. In Sephiroth’s trailer they’re... interrupted.

yes I was thinking that Elma would fight Galeem and Dharkon in her Skell. Thinking of them as like super Tyrants or something

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly the only character I can imagine going up against Galeem and Dharkon at once in their trailer is Demifiend, you know, cause the whole post-apocalyptic setting, morality system with no right answer and the iconic image of crushing a demon and an angel in each hand. I can't think of anything half as fitting

7NATOR

Smash Master
Ryu Hayabusa's reveal I feel would be the classic NES intro with:ultgreninja:and:ultsheik:and Ryu making his appearance interfering in their fight beating one of them before fighting the other.
Would they create new Sprites of Greninja and Shiek? to my knowledge they don't have NES sprites of those 2, and when they did do an NES Inspired trailer (with Duck Hunt) they only used characters that had NES sprites originally

No, in the ending where you kill only Galeem, Dharkon controls everything, hence why Hero’s is in a timeline where Galeem dies first.

if Dharkon dies first, Galeem tries to erase everyone. In OG WoL, they succeed. In Sephiroth’s trailer they’re... interrupted.

yes I was thinking that Elma would fight Galeem and Dharkon in her Skell. Thinking of them as like super Tyrants or something
Thanks That makes alot of sense then. So I do think we'll get a trailer based of the True ending then

and honestly, The Skells vs Galeem and Dharkon might also be seen as a Kaiju vs Mecha battle that's popular in Japanesse Anime, like with the Ultraman Cartoons and Power Rangers

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Honestly the only character I can imagine going up against Galeem and Dharkon at once in their trailer is Demifiend, you know, cause the whole post-apocalyptic setting, morality system with no right answer and the iconic image of crushing a demon and an angel in each hand. I can't think of anything half as fitting
That would be kind of epic not going to be dishonest. I don't really know if I wanna call SMT content off the table. It's not like Terry where he came with a bunch of KoF, SamSho and Metal Slug stuff. Persona came with jack **** for SMT and not even a Jack Frost Mii hat or something despite being Atlus' mascot! If not a fighter, I anticipate a costume or a spirit event going forward.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Would they create new Sprites of Greninja and Shiek? to my knowledge they don't have NES sprites of those 2, and when they did do an NES Inspired trailer (with Duck Hunt) they only used characters that had NES sprites originally
Doesn't have to be NES sprites. It can be a recreation as a CGI animation trailer.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The fact you barly see lloyd on in the top 5 in the popularity polls shows just how much of his popularity is only within the smash fandom
2004: Didnt even hit top 20s. Leon won that
2005:was 16th. Kratos won that
2006 :Didnt hit top 30s. Leon won that again
2008: was 4th. Yuri was 1st
2010: was 5th. Yuri won again
2012: didnt hit top 30. Yuri and leon won 1st and 2nd
2013 was when Yuri (and Leon) was taken off the offical popularity polls.

Yuri and Leon really hogged the spotlight lol

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The fact you barly see lloyd on in the top 5 in the popularity polls shows just how much of his popularity is only within the smash fandom
1st: Didnt even hit top 20s. Leon won that
2nd:was 16th. Kratos won that
3rd:Didnt hit top 30s. Leon won that again
4th: was 4th. Yuri was 1st
5th. Didnt make top 10. Yuri won again
6th: didnt hit top 30. Yuri and leon won 1st and 2nd
2013 was when Yuri (and Leon) was taken off the offical popularity polls.

Yuri and Leon really hogged the spotlight lol
I mean, being popular in only the Smash fandom while nobody else is sounds pretty good when you're trying to get into Smash :drshrug:

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
What about Sora? He'd technically be fighting a lord of false light and a lord of darkness and chaos.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, I never back down from a challenge! Here's what I got:
View attachment 299062
So I limited myself to the same size as Thorgi's MvC4 roster: 48, meaning 24 per company. However, unlike that one, you'll notice that the Capcom side has way more returning characters than new ones. That's by design - the Nintendo side is going to be entirely newcomers no matter what, so all the returning characters have to come from the Capcom side. In addition to that, I also wanted the Capcom side to focus a bit more on their history with Nintendo, given the other side of the crossover and all.

Overall... hm. I'm not sure about how this one turned out, myself? You might be able to tell, but my finger's not quite on the pulse of the Capcom scene - and MvC has a different sort of philosophy to its character picks that I'm finding it hard to capture. In my opinion, I think the Nintendo side came out a little bit... too safe, in my opinion.
I don't know if this is the kind of advice you're looking for, but don't be afraid of adding newer characters. Yeah, the classic characters are classics for a reason, but it's hard to just pretend the newer stuff doesn't exist. That Cartoon Network-Smash game (whatever it was called) had a similar problem, in that yhe only "new" show (aka the only show still running at the time) was Ben 10: everything else was from shows that had ended.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This theory has all the sense of saying Isabelle and Dark Samus wouldn't be upgraded because previous ATs returned.
Except we didn’t even see nearly all the ATs returning. If, during pre-release, we saw the return of every single AT in history except those two, that would be a better comparison.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I don't know if this is the kind of advice you're looking for, but don't be afraid of adding newer characters. Yeah, the classic characters are classics for a reason, but it's hard to just pretend the newer stuff doesn't exist. That Cartoon Network-Smash game (whatever it was called) had a similar problem, in that yhe only "new" show (aka the only show still running at the time) was Ben 10: everything else was from shows that had ended.
Is the roster that lacking in new characters? I suppose it has barely any characters from the 10s, but I'm not sure who I'm missing out on specifically.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Here's a theory I've been thinking about for a little.

Biggest Options Theory
Biggest Options Theory is simple: That each third-party character is one of (Though not necessarily the) biggest options their company has to offer. There's two definitions of "biggest option" here: Impact and recognizability in the overall industry, and popularity in the Smash fanbase.

Let's look at the third-parties so far:

• :ultsnake: - From arguably the most well-known stealth game and highly influential for storytelling (Though he could've been an exception due to being a Kojima request, he still fits regardless)
  • :ultsonic: - Was Mario's rival back in the day, immensely popular request, Sega's mascot
  • :ultmegaman: - NES legend, one of the biggest requests back in the Smash 4 days, one of Capcom's mascots (Or at least he was)
  • :ultpacman: - Easily one of the most recognizable video game characters period, Bamco's mascot
  • :ultryu: - Mr. Fighting Game himself, one of Capcom's mascots
  • :ultcloud: - Mr. JRPG, cited as being having the most requests for a Final Fantasy character
  • :ultbayonetta: - A potential exception; She was supposedly chosen for the ballot, which would give her the edge in popularity, but there's also the possibility that Nintendo chose her in advance to push her series, which Nintendo helped fund.
  • :ultsimon: - NES star, did well on the ballot
  • :ultrichter: - Sort of an exception; He was an easy clone who Simon took some moves from. Though, he's basically just a Simon alt so we can count him out.
  • :ultken: - The original Echo Fighter; Though, as a borderline-semiclone, he's still fairly easy to make compared to most of the fighters listed here, so we could count him out too
  • :ultjoker: - A recent success, he's been heavily pushed by Sega lately. If we narrow it down to Atlus specifically, his home series is easily their biggest IP (Sorry SMT)
  • :ulthero3: - Representative for the defining JRPG, a cultural phenomenon in Japan
  • :ultbanjokazooie: - Extremely popular, constantly topping polls since the Melee era. If we go for Rare specifically, I think they're easily their most recognizable creation
  • :ult_terry: - The mascot of SNK as a whole, despite his lack of relevance in recent games.
  • :ultsteve: - The biggest game ever
  • :ultsephiroth: - One of the most iconic villains in gaming, and has one of the most iconic boss themes to boot
Based on the 14-16 characters so far, we can predict that future third-party characters will also be the from the biggest games in a company's selection and/or the most frequently-requested characters they own.
I think all third party reps are Ultimate... except Bayonetta.

Ultimate traits
• Snake – ultimate genre influence, friend request to Sakurai.
• Sonic – ultimate mascot, ex rival turned friend, genre influence.
• Mega Man – ultimate mascot, Nintendo's friend.
• Pac-Man – ultimate retro mascot, genre influence, friend, catch-up (from Brawl).
• Ryu – ultimate genre influence, friend.
• Cloud – ultimate favorite games/series rep.
• Bayonetta – freshness.
• Simon – ultimate genre influence, friend.
• Joker – freshness, ultimate favorite games/series rep.
• Hero – ultimate genre influence, friend, favorite games/series rep.
• Banjo – ultimate retro friend, catch-up (from Melee).
• Terry – ultimate influencer (for Smash Bros).
• Steve – ultimate genre influence, freshness, favorite game rep.
• Sephiroth – ultimate favorite games/series villain.

About other Squenix rep
• 2B – ultimate freshness, favorite games/series rep.
• Lara Croft – ultimate mascot, genre influence.
• Bub & Bob – ultimate retro mascot, genre influence, friend.
• Space Invaders – ultimate retro mascot, genre influence, influencer (for Nintendo), friend.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So I checked back on the big SourceGaming poll, which, while not 100% accurate, is the most credible thing we really have, and out of the Tales characters...
  • Lloyd placed 23rd, with 263 votes
  • Yuri was 66th, with 56 votes
  • Velvet was 134th, with 25 votes
  • Colette and Ludger were tied for 543rd, with 2 votes
  • Alphen, Asbel, Luke, Rondoline, and Jude were one of the many in 727th place, with only a single vote each
So yeah. Not 100% accurate, but it's arguably the best we've got and it seems that Lloyd's far and away the most heavily-requested.

Some random extra trivia:
  • Lloyd got more votes than Heavy, Monster Hunter, Scorpion, and any Sonic rep
  • Yuri somehow got less votes than Klonoa, despite the latter being dead for a long while. I'm actually surprised that the little guy surpassed Yuri, or that he got into the top 50.
  • Velvet got less votes than G O K U, who is currently on his way to break into the houses of all you non-believers in full drip attire
  • Ludger was listed in 727th place twice because one guy typed in his full name and another guy left out the middle name.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
There are a couple I can think of that could go up against both Galeem and Dharkon, although several are extremely unlikely to begin with. So:

• Any Dota character (It's saying something when several of those characters are meant to represent fundamental forces of the universe... and they can be killed by any other character. Sure, in-lore it's part of the "contract" they sign with the Ancient that's they're working under IIRC, but still.). I have little knowledge of LoL lore... but chances are the situation is similar there.
  • One could make a very convincing argument for Kratos, for good reason.
  • One could also make an argument for Reimu, although apparently her ability to invoke Gensokyo's native gods isn't reliable. Would have to check and confirm that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom