• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Incineroar gets Smash
Decidueye gets Pokken
Primarina gets nothing

A shame, I actually really love Primarina. I love all 3 Alola starters, really. I think they did a great job on them.
Popplio was my first ever Pokémon, so the line's got a special place in my heart. No telling what the future holds.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've got another angle on who the final fighter could be? Of the ones you consider possible, who has the most potential for a moveset gimmick?

For example Eggman could pilot his egg pod and use a variety of different attachments from various classic Sonic games. Like BowJr. on steroids. Or Chibi Robo deriving power from cleaning up, using his toothbrush to polish the stage and gain happy points from it.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I actually do have a question also

-What do you think is the biggest example of Revisionist History in Smash Speculation?
Anything relating to any “Big Three”, “Big Four”, “Last Brawl Request” of speculation has always been imbued with a special sort of revisionism, mostly used to prop up a character as a necessity to appeal to completionists. Geno fans have definitely made use of the early deconfirmation of most Brawl big hitters to propagate their position as last man standing. Personally, I only remember the Elite 4 of Smash 4 featuring Mega Man, Ridley, K. Rool, Palutena and later Little Mac if I recall correctly, with Mewtwo as champ. Others dipped in-and-out and I can’t doubt the popularity of certain characters but yeah anything related to the argument “Last X of Y not in Smash” is no doubt taking a few shortcuts here and there, and might rewrite history when it comes to cutting that down to a specific “Big insert rhetorically viable number
As mentioned before, Pokémon base game Ultimate speculation is a bit of a no-mans-land too. For example, some Lycanroc supporters see the ordeal as some reverse-Dolchstoß-myth where their underdog was always doomed to be overshadowed, when in my opinion they would’ve very much been the top dog of Pokémon speculation if it wasn’t for Verge taking the wind out of his sails. Though, I feel that whole ordeal was very much a constant twist so I can’t blame anyone for believing they were the underdog in the situation when they very well might’ve been for a considerable amount of time.

I've got another angle on who the final fighter could be? Of the ones you consider possible, who has the most potential for a moveset gimmick?

For example Eggman could pilot his egg pod and use a variety of different attachments from various classic Sonic games. Like BowJr. on steroids. Or Chibi Robo deriving power from cleaning up, using his toothbrush to polish the stage and gain happy points from it.
I feel a Dynasty Warriors definitely has the potential for one of those “control schemes native to their series, new to Smash” sets where the Specials change depending on the amount of regular inputs made before it.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

Aw hell naw, Reimu got the janky-ass hurtbox.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

My favourite idea for one of my most wanted characters is Velvet Crowe doing an Android 21 like what Soma can do, though Velvet also uses it as some kind of install where she constantly takes damage but can't be KOed and heals from kills

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Incineroar gets Smash
Decidueye gets Pokken
Primarina gets nothing

A shame, I actually really love Primarina. I love all 3 Alola starters, really. I think they did a great job on them.
What if Primarina gets Unite?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Late to the party but I think the Grinch leak was the best time in Ultimate speculation. It was super cool to see the community go full-on sleuth mode and do stuff like track down the alleged leak to a specific printer in like France. The leak itself was super complex and thorough which makes it all the more impressive that it was faked. And it was just a good leak, the characters were all great and it just barely skirted plausibility enough to be believable if you really wanted it to. As someone who fell for it, I can't think of any negative effects it had. To me Smash will never feel complete without the entire Grinch cast.

My least favorite leak was Cacomallow because it's basically the opposite of the Grinch leak. It's the most basic thing ever, we knew a couple of weeks in how it could be faked, it took little effort or intelligence to debunk it and yet people kept bringing it up like some kind of zombie leak. Smash speculation tends to believe incredibly stupid stuff when it's stuff they want to hear (see: the past week's Master Chief, Doomguy and Sora "leaks") and nowhere has that tendency been clearer than with Cacomallow.

D

Deleted member

Late to the party but I think the Grinch leak was the best time in Ultimate speculation. It was super cool to see the community go full-on sleuth mode and do stuff like track down the alleged leak to a specific printer in like France. The leak itself was super complex and thorough which makes it all the more impressive that it was faked. And it was just a good leak, the characters were all great and it just barely skirted plausibility enough to be believable if you really wanted it to. As someone who fell for it, I can't think of any negative effects it had. To me Smash will never feel complete without the entire Grinch cast.

My least favorite leak was Cacomallow because it's basically the opposite of the Grinch leak. It's the most basic thing ever, we knew a couple of weeks in how it could be faked, it took little effort or intelligence to debunk it and yet people kept bringing it up like some kind of zombie leak. Smash speculation tends to believe incredibly stupid stuff when it's stuff they want to hear (see: the past week's Master Chief, Doomguy and Sora "leaks") and nowhere has that tendency been clearer than with Cacomallow.
selling the Cacomallow leak a little short but you do you

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
selling the Cacomallow leak a little short but you do you
Nah man GoodGrief looked at it as critically as people who weren't blinded by hype who looked at **** like Tower of Smash back in the Smash 4 days, Cacomallow's history is so simple that the only reason anyone would say that was shortselling it is because they're embarassed to admit they were fooled for so long

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The Cacomallow leak wasn't poorly done, for whatever that might be worth. The modder was clearly a professional with regards to 3D modelling. Having fallen for it initially is entirely forgivable.

As somebody in the modding scene who was also in the modding scene then, I can say that Mii outfits were absolutely able to be modded at that point. There's nothing about them that would've made it any harder than modding anything else (though modding in general was more hassle back then, it was still very much doable.) Those that claimed "Miis can't be modded" or something to that effect were spreading misinformation, perhaps knowingly.
I have my crackpot theories as to who was responsible, but I can't prove anything thus I won't start naming names.

The passage of time has, however, irrefutably debunked it so I think if we're going to talk about the leak it needs to be done with the set understanding that it was, in fact, a mod.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
As someone who fell for it, I can't think of any negative effects it had.
I can.

The whole Grinch vs Box **** was awful and brought out the absolute worst in this community. You were a "Virgin-ben" if you didn't buy into the leak, and this place got toooooooxic. This site effectively was flooded with a wave of /v/ users who all just happened to vanish when it was proven that Grinch was fake.

And then of course, the aftermath, where people lost their **** over it being fake and all.

Grinch leak was fun in how impressive it was, but it had too many negative effects to count.

D

Deleted member

Nah man GoodGrief looked at it as critically as people who weren't blinded by hype who looked at **** like Tower of Smash back in the Smash 4 days, Cacomallow's history is so simple that the only reason anyone would say that was shortselling it is because they're embarassed to admit they were fooled for so long
This is the kind of **** that makes Geno fans defensive, you know? Kicking them eternally whenever mention of something about that community comes up? Keep it up bro, real brave.

The Cacomallow leak wasn't poorly done, for whatever that might be worth. The modder was clearly a professional with regards to 3D modelling.

As somebody in the modding scene who was also in the modding scene then, I can say that Mii outfits were absolutely able to be modded at that point. There's nothing about them that would've made it any harder than modding anything else (though modding in general was more hassle back then, it was still very much doable.) Those that claimed "Miis can't be modded" or something to that effect were spreading misinformation, perhaps knowingly.
I have my crackpot theories as to who was responsible, but I can't prove anything thus I won't start naming names.

The passage of time has, however, irrefutably debunked it so I think if we're going to talk about the leak it needs to be done with the set understanding that it was, in fact, a mod.
This is the take that matters here. When the "leak" dropped, we had active members of the modding community saying that the level of detail in those Mii mods wasn't something that was possible at the time. How can't someone be fooled when people who are supposed to be knowledgeable in the subject are spreading misinformation?

Shame when people with talent decide they're going to go out of their way to troll people.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This is the kind of **** that makes Geno fans defensive, you know? Kicking them eternally whenever mention of something about that community comes up? Keep it up bro, real brave
Aight kid, totally only said that to kick Geno fans and not list an example of me believing a fake leak because I wanted it to be real which was just like Cacomallow only without lasting over a year

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
AS far as BS leaks go Cacomallow actually wasn't THAT bad. I wouldn't blame people for entertaining it could have been real for the first few or so weeks, maybe months, of its existance.

the problem was, well, when people kept on entertaining the leak for WAAAY more than that time period.
It really should have been tossed after Byleth. That was the second character it would have skipped because the initial leak was just before Terry's showcase. It'd be reasonable to assume "Oh they're coming with Terry" but then they didn't. So maybe the last character of the pass? Reasonable enough, but it didn't happen.

Then we go on to pass 2 and it really should have been tossed. Pass 2's development didn't start until they finalised it at the earliest, which would be around Terry's release. But then we got the continuous "Next character for sure" after each no show and further, unneeded, strikes against it until Sephiroth came along with the Geno costume. People were clinging to it a whole ****ing year later. Like, no they aren't just sitting on some new mii hats like that.

The other thing is, it only ever entailed two mii hats. Anything about Geno or Doom Slayer getting in was added by other people.

Shroob

Sup?
This is the kind of **** that makes Geno fans defensive, you know? Kicking them eternally whenever mention of something about that community comes up? Keep it up bro, real brave.

This is the take that matters here. When the "leak" dropped, we had active members of the modding community saying that the level of detail in those Mii mods wasn't something that was possible at the time. How can't someone be fooled when people who are supposed to be knowledgeable in the subject are spreading misinformation?

Shame when people with talent decide they're going to go out of their way to troll people.
My biggest issue with the Cacomallow leak is that once it was proven that Miis could be modded, a handful of folks refused to accept that as an actual valid reason to be wary and demanded that the hats be re-made 1-1 with the leaked ones.

Like, yeah, you give a modeler like, a day, they probably could remake the hats 1-1, but that was never the point of it all, the point was to prove that it was possible to add in custom Miis, which, yeah, it was. A modeler isn't going to remake something 1-1 without like, pay for their time ya know.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

They may not have been lying but instead were simply wrong.

At the time, files needed to compress down to the same compressed filesize as the file it was replacing, or smaller. Ultimate has a lot going on under the hood with how it loads files compared to most Switch games and even previous Smash games. I'll spare the details, but at the time we were stuck with somewhat crude methods. Since then, we've been able to load files on-the-fly, eliminating this issue, but it was indeed in play at the time.

The models were quite detailed, again speaking to the quality of the work done. Many likely wrongly assumed there'd be no way they'd manage to compress. It's an understandable blunder. However, not every Mii hat is gonna have the exact same compressed filesize. It was likely just a matter of finding the ones that lent them the most wiggle room, and modding the "leaked" hats over those.

To be clear, this was a restriction imposed on modding any aspect of the game, not just the Mii outfits.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Aight kid, totally only said that to kick Geno fans and not list an example of me believing a fake leak because I wanted it to be real which was just like Cacomallow only without lasting over a year
Lol you made me think of this immediately

Carry on y'all

D

Deleted member

They may not have been lying but instead were simply wrong.

At the time, files needed to compress down to the same compressed filesize as the file it was replacing, or smaller. Ultimate has a lot going on under the hood with how it loads files compared to most Switch games and even previous Smash games. I'll spare the details, but at the time we were stuck with somewhat crude methods. Since then, we've been able to load files on-the-fly, eliminating this issue, but it was indeed in play at the time.

The models were quite detailed, again speaking to the quality of the work done. Many likely wrongly assumed there'd be no way they'd manage to compress. It's an understandable blunder. However, not every Mii hat is gonna have the exact same compressed filesize. It was likely just a matter of finding the ones that lent them the most wiggle room, and modding the "leaked" hats over those.
That last part is the message we kept getting over and over on that leak; the quality of the models was too good to have managed compressing them with the tools available to modders at the time. It took about half a year more until there was a widespread mention of a workaround for that to allow high quality model/texture imports into the game and yet somehow people are idiots for believing it for more than two minutes.

Even I have a hard time being so jaded.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
and yet somehow people are idiots for believing it for more than two minutes.
I like how you say this when everyone made it clear that the reason they have a distaste for the whole thing was that it was legit still being peddled as potentially real after a year despite making no sense, and that's without how it didn't match up with the actual debug mode timer

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anything relating to any “Big Three”, “Big Four”, “Last Brawl Request” of speculation has always been imbued with a special sort of revisionism, mostly used to prop up a character as a necessity to appeal to completionists. Geno fans have definitely made use of the early deconfirmation of most Brawl big hitters to propagate their position as last man standing. Personally, I only remember the Elite 4 of Smash 4 featuring Mega Man, Ridley, K. Rool, Palutena and later Little Mac if I recall correctly, with Mewtwo as champ. Others dipped in-and-out and I can’t doubt the popularity of certain characters but yeah anything related to the argument “Last X of Y not in Smash” is no doubt taking a few shortcuts here and there, and might rewrite history when it comes to cutting that down to a specific “Big insert rhetorically viable number
As mentioned before, Pokémon base game Ultimate speculation is a bit of a no-mans-land too. For example, some Lycanroc supporters see the ordeal as some reverse-Dolchstoß-myth where their underdog was always doomed to be overshadowed, when in my opinion they would’ve very much been the top dog of Pokémon speculation if it wasn’t for Verge taking the wind out of his sails. Though, I feel that whole ordeal was very much a constant twist so I can’t blame anyone for believing they were the underdog in the situation when they very well might’ve been for a considerable amount of time.

I feel a Dynasty Warriors definitely has the potential for one of those “control schemes native to their series, new to Smash” sets where the Specials change depending on the amount of regular inputs made before it.
This is the other really big bit of revisionism, yeah. Pretty much the only time a "Big [X]" was a thing was around 2012-2014 specifically on Smashboards, with the whole "Elite Four" thing. Granted it was actually six but that's because some people did or didn't include Mewtwo due to him being a veteran, and Mega Man was the Champion because his third party status made him stand out. But yeah, the sextet of Mega Man/Ridley/K. Rool/Palutena/Little Mac/Mewtwo was a thing for a reason: because they were all on about 90% of the prediction rosters posted on Smashboards.

Other things like a Mario newcomer, a Fire Emblem newcomer, and a retro character were all super common too, but the answer for who to add wasn't unanimous. Roy vs Chrom, Toad vs Bowser Jr., Takamaru vs Mach Rider vs Muddy Mole.

And that's what made those six interesting: the sheer consensus. Pretty much 90% of support thread regulars supported all of them. That's something you don't really see nowadays. Even leaving aside that those six being a consensus is pretty specific to Smashboards (since Gamefaqs, the other major speculation location, had other views), the sheer scope of options available now that all of the "necessary" characters are in and third party floodgates have opened pretty much guarantee that there won't ever be a true consensus on who to add anymore. People's wants are much more varied now.

But yeah, those six were lightning in a bottle for a very specific context. Attempts to artificially make it happen again will pretty much always fall flat.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, yeah he doesn't do Triple Geyser, but it's just Power Geyser, but more, and then he just Power Dunks you, says an awkwardly delivered line, and then Buster Wolfs you. Nothing super visually interesting actually happens. Any super that's just normal moves is automatically super lame IMO, and Triple Wolf does absolutely nothing to salvage that.

Kazuya's Final Smash is similarly lame since it's just Devil Blaster, but more, though at least the lasers look cool.

I'm not wrong, that's how the conversation went. I do know things have changed since then though, but Reimu discussion didn't really pick up in response so I don't quite remember how. Just out of curiosity, is Touhou Kabuto Burst an official game in the series or a fan game?
I have a hard time figuring out how a fan game could get a translation and physical release on a console in the United States, but again, I'm not a Touhou expert. I don't believe it's a mainline Touhou game, but Cloud didn't show up on a Nintendo console in a mainline Final Fantasy, either.
Touhou is that one weird series that doesn't just support fanworks and allow developers of fan content to contribute to the official releases, but also allow fangames to be sold for profit, get actual translations, and receive ports to official platforms, to say nothing of having the creator step down to compose music for fanworks. Of course, it throws the entire series into a massive grey area in speculation due to having no real equivalents, but it's still pretty impressive.

To answer the original question, Kobuto Burst is just one of many fangames on the Switch. That being said, Antimony of Common Flowers has received an official English translation with it's Steam port in 2018, and was ported to the Switch in April of this year with said translation. It's not the best translation, mind you, but Touhou's at least in a better spot than, say, Mother 3 when it comes to localization (Not counting weird extra variables like the mountain of Touhou fanworks and their own availability, which, again, is a weird grey area with no comparable equivalent).

Shroob

Sup?
I'm absolutely not trying to dog on Geno fans with this post, but I was suddenly reminded of the Gamespot June 2020 vid.

I remember having a civil debate over why it was fake, but, man, the supposed evidence falls apart.

Gamepot releases a video in June
Mentions how "Fans went wild when Geno was revealed for Smash"
Video had like 500 views before all this
They go on to say "We meant the Mii in Smash 4"

Understandable, but I just don't understand the logic that one could take this as a cover up. Like,

Nintendo pulled out of E3 in like, March of that year.

Meaning this would imply that they had a whole-ass Direct ready to go but was canned, despite pulling out of E3 3 months prior

And somehow, Gamespot didn't get the memo

And the narrator had been hospitalized since May, meaning that the video could have only been filmed in May or earlier

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Cacomallow leak wasn't poorly done, for whatever that might be worth. The modder was clearly a professional with regards to 3D modelling. Having fallen for it initially is entirely forgivable.

Oh no I didn't mean to imply it was poorly made or anything. I have nothing but respect towards modders and the work they do, the creativity and ingenuity it takes to make a mod is truly impressive and I could never do something like that.

When I said Cacomallow is a bottom tier leak is because it predicated on the belief that it couldn't be done. Which was fine, until we learned that yes, it could be faked. Then it had absolutely nothing to stand on and yet people kept propping it up. And the discourse used to do so, people saying leaks should be considered real until absolutely proven fake, that's just so unsound and illogical that I can't help but roll my eyes at the memory.

tl;dr the only reason Cacomallow gained traction is because of people's ignorance regarding mods and their willingness to ignore people who did know what they were talking about and that's just a big pet peeves of mine
I can.

The whole Grinch vs Box **** was awful and brought out the absolute worst in this community. You were a "Virgin-ben" if you didn't buy into the leak, and this place got toooooooxic. This site effectively was flooded with a wave of /v/ users who all just happened to vanish when it was proven that Grinch was fake.

And then of course, the aftermath, where people lost their **** over it being fake and all.

Grinch leak was fun in how impressive it was, but it had too many negative effects to count.
I have a very different recollection of the leak days, I had a lot of fun. I'm sorry you felt that way but I absolutely disagree. Didn't see much toxicity beyond what is always around in these parts, and I don't think that people being mad when we ended the base game with Kencineroar and Plant can be blamed on the leak itself.

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice

I think regardless of who the final fighter will be, there will be salt and pointless raging. The fact that there’s a grand total of one fighter left means there’s no more “chances” for people to have hope in having their pick join the game. All that will be left is flame wars and mudslinging. And everyone will have their “justifications” for their rage.

Even now there’s mudslinging because people want to slander anyone who doesn’t agree with their pick. I myself see it when I search for Sora fan support on Twitter; a surprising amount of what I find by plugging in “Sora Smash” is people saying and making rude memes on how Sora is never going to be in the game and that KH fans should cry about it. It’s so childish.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh no I didn't mean to imply it was poorly made or anything. I have nothing but respect towards modders and the work they do, the creativity and ingenuity it takes to make a mod is truly impressive and I could never do something like that.

When I said Cacomallow is a bottom tier leak is because it predicated on the belief that it couldn't be done. Which was fine, until we learned that yes, it could be faked. Then it had absolutely nothing to stand on and yet people kept propping it up. And the discourse used to do so, people saying leaks should be considered real until absolutely proven fake, that's just so unsound and illogical that I can't help but roll my eyes at the memory.

tl;dr the only reason Cacomallow gained traction is because of people's ignorance regarding mods and their willingness to ignore people who did know what they were talking about and that's just a big pet peeves of mine

I have a very different recollection of the leak days, I had a lot of fun. I'm sorry you felt that way but I absolutely disagree. Didn't see much toxicity beyond what is always around in these parts, and I don't think that people being mad when we ended the base game with Kencineroar and Plant can be blamed on the leak itself.
You may have a different recollection, but boy howdy are you wrong lol.

Ask probably any staff member here who were on duty.

Ask PushDustin how they straight up had to ban Box and Grinch discussion in the SourceGaming Discord server due to how toxic it got.

Go back and read a lot of the archived posts on this site, and see how many of those accounts no longer post here.

The whole situation was an ungodly mess.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You may have a different recollection, but boy howdy are you wrong lol.

Ask probably any staff member here who were on duty.

Ask PushDustin how they straight up had to ban Box and Grinch discussion in the SourceGaming Discord server due to how toxic it got.

Go back and read a lot of the archived posts on this site, and see how many of those accounts no longer post here.

The whole situation was an ungodly mess.
I remember a surprising amount of transphobia being rampant around then too from the people who for some reason only ever made and used an account when it was still 'up in the air' about legitimacy

Dukefire

Smash Master
Then this video too will generalize the salt after the Final Presentation is over. Not everyone will be happy, but enjoy what Sakurai did to please as many people that follow the 20+ years series.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I remember a surprising amount of transphobia being rampant around then too from the people who for some reason only ever made and used an account when it was still 'up in the air' about legitimacy
Yep, we picked up a TON of /v/ users.

It wasn't uncommon at all for the front page profile post section to be filled with just the worst **** because people didn't realize that their profile posts were public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom