• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Call me a purist if you want, but I don't want non-video-game characters in Smash. I've seen someone say they hope Smash could one day evolve to be about more than just video games, but... frankly, I resent the implication that video games aren't a good enough thing to be about.

It's not even like they would ever need to pull from non-VG sources, anyhow. I've actually been trying to put together a Smash roster with a thousand defensible characters on it, for fun. I'm up to 324 characters right now, way over triple what Ultimate's got, and all of them are video game characters.
People who actually hope / believe something like that is possible have no taste at all and don't understand the meaning and importance Smash has taken for itself in the videogame landscape, simple as that. Mark my words on it, if Goku ever happens I'll eat crow.
Sometimes it's not a matter of "possibility". Of course he's technically possible, licensing wouldn't be that hard imho and of course implementing the character would be extremely simple.
Most of the time is a matter of "even if it could, should it?", and the answer with Goku is simply no. I trust Sakurai to know this.

And before I am called a purist like I read before, I was totally on board when Snake was revealed for example. I actually believe third party is the future of Smash Bros., and they are showing it time and time again since every new installment the ratio of Nintendo / third party characters skews a little to the latter. Heck, if the last three DLC characters are all third parties, more than 50% of the newcomers of Ultimate are going to be non-Nintendo characters, which is insane since Brawl had merely TWO and only because people clamored for Sonic since he was the de facto first third party that should've been added. And I'm so happy for that, so many new universes represented.

I also was one of the few laughing about people saying Ridley being playable would've ruin his character, or laughing about people saying Banjo would never happen because Microsoft. Look what happened!

Goku, if Sakurai wanted, would already be in imho. It's not like it's this extreme bigger than life icon which is unreachable (we got STEVE). Goku simply would be a tasteless addition and it would lessen the importance Smash as a crossover represents. Sakurai knows this so it just won't happen.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
All right, I just got a few replies about my wanting of Valve in the next 3 companies. I’ll explain myself.

Is Valve Iconic/Historic?
Yes, The portal gun is the most iconic gun in the entirety of gaming. Half Life has reinvented the genre 3 times now. TF2 is so popular it is still being played to this day. L4D practically created its own genre. Valve is both iconic and Historic.

Valve And Nintendo Don’t Speak.
It is true that Valve and Nintendo don’t interact much. With no game of Valves coming to a Nintendo platform and vice versa.
However, Valve got robbed sometime in 2018/2019 (Can’t remember). Among the things stolen were numerous Nintendo Switches and Controllers, so Valve clearly has some interest in Nintendo. Also, keep in mind that Square and Nintendo had what was almost a rivalry before Cloud got in.

I feel like aside from Sony, Valve is by far the biggest company not in Smash. And given the circumstances, if Smash was brought up to Valve. They almost certainly would have said yes.

For those reasons, I feel like if we got three new companies this pass, one of them really should be Valve.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
All right, I just got a few replies about my wanting of Valve in the next 3 companies. I’ll explain myself.

Yes, The portal gun is the most iconic gun in the entirety of gaming. Half Life has reinvented the genre 3 times now. TF2 is so popular it is still being played to this day. L4D practically created its own genre. Valve is both iconic and Historic.

It is true that Valve and Nintendo don’t interact much. With no game of Valves coming to a Nintendo platform and vice versa.
However, Valve got robbed sometime in 2018/2019 (Can’t remember). Among the things stolen were numerous Nintendo Switches and Controllers, so Valve clearly has some interest in Nintendo. Also, keep in mind that Square and Nintendo had what was almost a rivalry before Cloud got in.

I feel like aside from Sony, Valve is by far the biggest company in Smash. And given the circumstances, if Smash was brought up to Valve. They almost certainly would have said yes.

For those reasons, I feel like if we got three new companies this pass, one of them really should be Valve.
I agree with the should be but like I said above, it seems like Nintendo mostly targets Japanese companies with the ONLY outlier being, surprisingly enough, Microsoft. That COULD change but I figure Bethesda, Ubisoft, or Activision will come first based on their already close relationship with these companies.

Edit: Ironically enough, now that Microsoft owns Bethesda they might be in an even better position to get a character.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If Goku lets SpongeBob in Smash, I’m all for it. Bring on the funny overpowered blue laser man.

People who actually hope / believe something like that is possible have no taste at all and don't understand the meaning and importance Smash has taken for itself in the videogame landscape, simple as that.
Bruh I don’t think it’s gonna happen but come on I’d just like to see my cool spongey boi. I love Smash and videogames but I’m not gonna act like they’re on some perfect pedestal nothing can even be included alongside with.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I agree with the should be but like I said above, it seems like Nintendo mostly targets Japanese companies with the ONLY outlier being, surprisingly enough, Microsoft. That COULD change but I figure Bethesda, Ubisoft, or Activision will come first based on their already close relationship with these companies.
Thats fair, but in terms of gaming Valve is a Microsoft level company. Bethesda is now owned by Microsoft so doomguy or something getting in would make for a third Microsoft character.
Ubisoft I agree with, I’m actually shocked they haven’t gotten a character yet.
Activision I’m not to sure on. They seem both inevitable and also like its never gonna happen. I personally think Valve is a great Dark Horse pick for DLC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have a bold prediction. I’m not sure if this’ll will age poorly in the coming months or not but... I think the last 3 characters will all be coming from unrepresented companies. The big ones I can think of are Falcom who has NO content at all and is what I would consider the SNK of this pass. Arc System Works who I find is actually quite suspicious with having a random spirit event but nothing else. And Koei-Tecmo who is probably the most obvious choice with how close they are with Nintendo. Other studios I would say make sense are Activision, Bethesda, and Ubisoft though I’ve noticed that western companies are often not as high up on the list as Japanese companies.

However, here’s the kicker. I don’t think the Lloyd or Monster Hunter costumes are coming back this pass. I think we’re getting post Pass 2 DLC and we’re getting a Namco and a Capcom character then.
This is almost what I'm predicting, except it's only the next two fighters who will be from unrepresented companies while the last one will be from Nintendo. A third pass, or just additional solo DLC fighters feels like an inevitability with how well Smash has been doing and now many companies are rushing to get in, deals have been made with multiple companies for content, but surely they never stopped there.
I'm expecting this too. Koei-Tecmo and Arc System Works are the most viable candidates for a Challenger Pack, and Nintendo are most likely looking to add another inhouse character to Smash again which will be where the Lloyd and Monster Hunter costumes return since they probably won't fit alongside a Mii Costume lineup from the other companies mentioned.

No I don't think Nintendo's only adding another character to get all the Smash 4 costumes back for Ultimate, but it's certainly convenient to have them release alongside an inhouse character since most of the 3rd Party companies involved with DLC seem to have more involvement with what Mii Costumes come alongside their character.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep

I feel like aside from Sony, Valve is by far the biggest company not in Smash. And given the circumstances, if Smash was brought up to Valve. They almost certainly would have said yes.

I think every company owns every console available at all times since it would simply be stupid to not look into all the possibilities economy-wise, so the fact some people stole a few Switches from Valve doesn't mean much (also, the Switch has Bridge Constructor Portal btw).
I agree with the importance of the company in and out of itself of course, Portal 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but it's hard to say it comes before behemoths like Tecmo, Activision, From Software to name a few, or even already represented companies like Capcom, Namco and Konami.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Call me a purist if you want, but I don't want non-video-game characters in Smash. I've seen someone say they hope Smash could one day evolve to be about more than just video games, but... frankly, I resent the implication that video games aren't a good enough thing to be about.

It's not even like they would ever need to pull from non-VG sources, anyhow. I've actually been trying to put together a Smash roster with a thousand defensible characters on it, for fun. I'm up to 324 characters right now, way over triple what Ultimate's got, and all of them are video game characters.
Putting in Characters like Goku, Batman, Spider Man, Mickey Mouse, and more would be about the Video Games though

Video Games using Licensed Characters and I.Ps are a very huge part of Video Game History that's not represented in Smash at all

Iconic games like Batman Arkham, Spider Man 2 and Marvel's Spider Man, Dragon Ball FighterZ (This game put Arc System Works into the mainstrem), Kingdom Hearts, Superman 64, ET, Battle for Bikini Bottom, Marvel vs Capcom, etc all have Licensed characters involved with it. Lots of people got into Video games through these I.Ps. I know alot of the games I played when I was younger were based on Super Heroes like Batman, Wolverine, Marvel as a Whole

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
also, the Switch has Bridge Constructor Portal btw
The Switch also has Portal Pinball, the Wii U version of Lego Dimensions still has its Portal content, and I believe the Switch version of Dead by Daylight still has Bill.

Also fun fact: Team Fortress is mentioned in a Nintendo 64 game. Specifically Starcraft 64, where the credits give thanks to Team Fortress Software, the team behind Team Fortress 1.
Superman 64, ET
There are some aspects of video game history that DON'T need representation in Smash, thank you.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Given the statements Sakurai has made that pretty overly insinuate the conclusion of development occurring after FP2 (in comparison to no such comments being made after FP1), as well as the fact that almost all the past content, such as Mii costumes, are now accounted for, with only three remaining exceptions across a pass that is only half complete, plus the burst of spirit content which started a year and a half ago that seemed to correspond with the roster having been finalized, I can't see future DLC being anything more than a very long shot.

I feel like this is a case of people wanting DLC to continue colouring their expectations. And believe me, I'd like it to continue as well. We won't see another game like Smash Ultimate. There's never going to be a roster this comprehensive and expansive again. It makes sense to build on it as much as and for as long as possible, both game-wise and business-wise. And there will be a sizeable, engaged audience for Ultimate so long as the Switch is current. But that's not always Nintendo's MO, several huge titles have gone without any paid DLC, and there have been pretty clear indications that active development is to end following FP11.

And I know there are extra placeholder slots, but those are exactly as the name indicates - placeholder slots. They are made as a provision for a future possibility, but they rarely actually correspond to the final product. They're preliminary measures meant to cover bases, not reflect actual plans. More over, that development is from 2018, when the final quantity of DLC was presumably undetermined. Much more recently we've had Sakurai say that continuous Smash development which began in 2012 is ending after this pass.

So if I'm wrong, great. More content, more characters. But if that doesn't come to pass, we were pretty blatantly told as much.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I think every company owns every console available at all times since it would simply be stupid to not look into all the possibilities economy-wise, so the fact some people stole a few Switches from Valve doesn't mean much (also, the Switch has Bridge Constructor Portal btw).
I agree with the importance of the company in and out of itself of course, Portal 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but it's hard to say it comes before behemoths like Tecmo, Activision, From Software to name a few, or even already represented companies like Capcom, Namco and Konami.
Well, Valve is apparently looking a lot at how Nintendo designs their games. See Here.
I wasn’t aware Bridge Constructor Portal was on Switch, I’ll add that to the list.
For the last part I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree. I personally see Valve as way higher than From Software and Activison, though Koei Tecmo definitely comes before it in terms of Smash.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Well, Valve is apparently looking a lot at how Nintendo designs their games. See Here.
I wasn’t aware Bridge Constructor Portal was on Switch, I’ll add that to the list.
For the last part I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree. I personally see Valve as way higher than From Software and Activison, though Koei Tecmo definitely comes before it in terms of Smash.
Generally speaking I agree but it's not just a matter of quality. Iconic characters and franchises and how famous they are is an important factor as well, and I think people like Crash would make a bigger splash than Freeman or Chell to be honest.

That said, Chell with a full on Portal mechanic implemented would definitely be amazing. Alyx brought Valve back heavy on the scene but as a company it has been dormant for a while, talking exclusively about game development. I think it needs to come back into the mainstream for real before Sakurai will give them a shot. Of course if it's Valve approaching Nintendo that's a totally different affair, since I don't understand why on Earth should they say no.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So I'm currently brainstorming a mechanic to work with for Amaterasu, and I think the coolest thing to do would be to make her Neutral Special the Celestial Brush, allowing players to draw whatever attack they want. I don't think I'll include all of them, but here's a list of what could be possible (though I'd have to put more thought into how they work exactly):
  • A horizontal line: Power Slash
    • Creates a slash attack in front of her.
  • A circle: Cherry Bomb
    • OK, a Cherry Bomb is a circle with a line in it, but I'll take the creative liberty here since the other circles are non-combat stuff like Bloom and Sunrise. Cherry Bomb creates a large bomb that explodes after a bit, or on impact.
  • A circle (while swimming): Water Lily
    • Creates a Water Lily under Amaterasu's feet that acts as a platform.
  • Two vertical lines: Deluge
    • Makes it rain and gets everyone wet. That's it. That's the technique.
  • A loop: Galestorm
    • Creates windboxes that blow in the direction that Amaterasu is facing.
    • Can blow Water Lilies in that direction.
  • Three horizontal lines: Whirlwind
    • Creates a tornado around Amaterasu that acts as a lingering hitbox.
  • The infinity sign: Fireburst
    • Creates an explosion of fire around Amaterasu.
  • Two horizontal lines: Veil of Mist
    • Creates a cloud of mist that obscures Amaterasu. No time slow because...no.
  • A lightning bolt: Thunderbolt
    • Strikes a nearby opponent with lightning.
  • An X with a line in it: Ice Storm
    • Causes icicles to rain down around Amaterasu.
Techniques that require multiple strokes can be done by flicking the stick in the required directions. For example, the x with a line in it could be done by flicking the stick diagonally down-left, diagonally down-right, and left (or, 1, 3, 6).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Alyx brought Valve back heavy on the scene but as a company it has been dormant for a while, talking exclusively about game development.
I've heard that The Final Hours of Half-Life: Alyx talks about this, why it happened, and what they needed to do to get out of this rut. I should probably pick it up some time.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I won't contend that Valve has its fair share of important, storied, well-known franchises, but employees simply owning Nintendo hardware really doesn't mean anything. I'm sure employees of all companies own Nintendo hardware, just like how I'm sure employees of Nintendo own Sony hardware.

As it is now, Valve and Nintendo don't have any real relationship. It's not the same as Square. The bridge that had been burnt in the fifth gen had been under reconstruction since the sixth, after Yamauchi retired, and by Cloud's inclusion Nintendo had spent years localizing Dragon Quest, Bravely, and other games for Square, as well as housing many of their lower-profile titles.

I'm sure Valve would eagerly cooperate with Nintendo to get their character into Smash, Gabe Newell basically said as much. But the thing is, I don't see Nintendo going to them. They've had minimal interactions over the years, I don't think any of their properties are particularly prolific in Japan, none of the characters have any notable demand - and even most western companies that do have these merits don't seem to be able to make it in.

Because Valve is sort of the biggest non-Sony company not in Smash when you count Steam, but not really, because what's looked at for this stuff is just the software. Their status as PC marketplace purveyor doesn't seem like it'll be a factor Nintendo cares about. Nintendo didn't care about Microsoft being a hardware developer, the two inclusions happened due to Smash popularity, and general popularity.

To that end, Valve is sort of on the lower end among big companies. Which is partly their own doing, putting out a scant amount of software for years now. And it's partly that other companies just have more in their favour as to why they'd be preferred, even if just because their properties have actually been on a Nintendo platform in one way or another. All Valve has is a single bridge-building spin-off.

I mean this is neither here nor there, but the Switch is ripe to get a game like the Orange Box, but it hasn't happened.

So an inclusion could happen, but it seems a long shot in ways less pronounced with other options. Even other western options, let alone Japanese ones.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Generally speaking I agree but it's not just a matter of quality. Iconic characters and franchises and how famous they are is an important factor as well, and I think people like Crash would make a bigger splash than Freeman or Chell to be honest.

That said, Chell with a full on Portal mechanic implemented would definitely be amazing. Alyx brought Valve back heavy on the scene but as a company it has been dormant for a while, talking exclusively about game development. I think it needs to come back into the mainstream for real before Sakurai will give them a shot. Of course if it's Valve approaching Nintendo that's a totally different affair, since I don't understand why on Earth should they say no.
Again, thats fair. I personally still see Valve as bigger only accounting for characters. The name Half Life has almost an urban legend quality to it. Having it or Portal in Smash would undeniably make a massive splash. Though more than Crash is hard to say considering the way different generations see characters.
I do agree that Valve may need some more time to get back in a groove of sorts. Though we probably won’t be getting 3 new companies till I’d guess Smash 6 or Ultimate Deluxe.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
When you think about it, EVERY Smash 4 Mii Costume has returned, except for three. The two Monster Hunter costumes, and Lloyd. It kind of makes sense they would use the existing costumes in Ultimate.

As neat it would be seeing Hunter and Lloyd, I think they will get Mii Costumed. I can see Hunter getting Mii Costumed in CP9. Lloyd would be left to CP10/11, which will lead people claiming ‘LlYoD iS iN sMaSh!’

Nintendo is most likely keen to promote a first party Rep from a Switch game. My bets are on Rex & Pyra/Mythra or Paper Mario happening in March. Both have really good potential as fighters, but I’d say Rex is just more likely. Especially if pfp theory is true.
That is due to Pyra and Mythra having pfps, but not Rex. Strange. Yet Geno, Paper Mario, etc do? And we got spirit Events for Paper Mario, Ring Fit and Age of Calamity if I remember correctly.

In terms of Mii Costumes Round 9, my bets are on:
Poppi a (Gunner)
Morag OR Zeke (Swordfighter) (Tossup)
Lora (Brawler)
MH Costumes from Smash 4
Maybe an indie costume (Freddy (Brawler) or Hollow Knight (Swordfighter))

In terms of CP10, I’m gonna go with Crash. He’s too big to announce at E3. He will be hype. He’ll also be a really fun character to play as. I don’t think he’ll be CP9. It feels way too early for a massive announcement like that.

For Mii Costumes Round 10, I’mgoing for:
Aku Aku (Mask)
Neo Cortex (Gunner)
Spyro (Brawler)
Lloyd (Swordfighter)
Doom Slayer (Gunner) (I feel your pain Doom fans, this one’ll hurt
And maybe someone else idk.

For CP11, it’s difficult. I can see Hayabusa happening, but also Eggman, maybe even Reimu, or Lloyd even.

Sadly I think Rayman will get Mii Costumed. We COULD see a surprise indie Mii Rep like Monika or someone else (I’m not counting on it), but that’s really it for me.
I’m confident in Crash, Rex and god knows what happens in CP11.

SKX31

Smash Master
That said, Chell with a full on Portal mechanic implemented would definitely be amazing. Alyx brought Valve back heavy on the scene but as a company it has been dormant for a while, talking exclusively about game development.
Iiiii... disagree with that in particular, honestly. Valve's particular focus with game development between TF2 and Alyx was on Dota 2 and CS:GO - and those two are live-service games that that Valve still prioritizes. It never left the mainstream really either - it's just that Valve went practically all in on e-sports with those two titles as well. I mean, one cannot say they weren't successful there when those two games are amongst the most played on Steam and the most watched on Twitch regularily.

I can understand why a lot of people wouldn't be keen on those two, but suffice it to say, they did have a major impact on Valve during the last decade.

Those games aren't the whole reason why Half-Life was in development hell, but it's not out of the question that Half-Life projects could've been put on the backburner if they didn't have feasible ideas (a la Alyx) and games that could keep millions playing on end anyhow.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Something that bugs me whenever non gaming characters are brought up: why is it always Goku? Why not try a different character like... Minky Momo?
Why not Wolverine, bub? BUB! THE BEST THERE IS AT WHAT HE DOES! Ultimate Alliance 3 is Switch exclusive soooooo....
78ed7095257de11baaa3e20b575bbde7.jpg

Adamantium claws, the yellow suit, you KNOW you want that mask on Kirby. Give him his healing factor for a unique character mechanic.... Marvel vs Capcom Infinite may have missed the boat on X-men characters, but Smash doesn't have to :)

BUT... if Goku absolutely has to be in Smash... I DEMAND that it is indeed Evolution Goku and that his side special is "The bike" and he MUST make "the bike riding face" as he does it

Justin-in-Dragonball-Evolution-justin-chatwin-8449732-853-480.jpg

The ONLY face to make while riding your bike to school... and then park your bike in a car parking spot for reasons unknown and then the bullies just run it over.

"Hey Fuller, you just DESTROYED my bike!"

"Hey Agundas, did you just FART? Because I SWEAR I coulda heard somethin!"

Hehehehehehehehehe. I love putting Dragonball Evolution on on a rainy day. It's TERRIBLE but laughably so, always gets a good chuckle out of me. The Bike, them getting stuck in Yamcha's hole and then lighting a campfire "Great, now all we need are marshmallows and a ghost story", opting for the story and then just jumping right back out as if Roshi could do that the whole time. Plus the Korean actor who spends the whole movie trying to sound like Chris Sabat's Yamcha ohhhhhhhhh there's so much terrible TERRIBLE cheese in this movie, it's a guilty pleasure for sure. "So bad it's good" as they say.

And pretty much the whole thing was shot in an abandoned jeans factory in Durango with no air conditioning.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as a potential video presentation I wouldn't be surprised if we got either a Partner Showcase or some kind of game reveal this week. Plus something detailing Super Mario 3D World for Switch is due any time now.

New trailer for Bowser's Fury coming soon.
I figured as much. I think we're unofficially in the cycle of week to week videos/events like we had in the late summer/early fall period. Wouldn't surprise me to see a Partner Showcase or potential Indie Direct next week.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I can understand why a lot of people wouldn't be keen on those two, but suffice it to say, they did have a major impact on Valve during the last decade.
From what I understand, it's actually Valve being a company where employees are free to do whatever, and it was hard to keep it up and still make new games in the eighth gen due to the amount of work needed for AAA eighth-gen games. Alyx was only able to be completed by acting like a more traditional company.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Between Monster Hunter and Lloyd, I'm leaning towards the latter based on the suspicious lack of base game content. Gil returned with the Namco Roulette, Heihachi joined him, Geno was a Spirit, and Monster Hunter was represented with Rathalos, and that's just the returning third-parties for FP2. I believe Icedragonadam Icedragonadam has a more comprehensive list of Mii Costumes and their presence in the game is. The only Mii aside from Lloyd who wasn't represented in some way was the Chocobo, and it's not like Final Fantasy as a whole was all that represented until Sephiroth.
We do know that at least some characters had long negotiation periods-I wouldn't say all, but Steve and Sakurai's statement about how he only expected one or two post-FP1 packs implies that at least some are in this situation-And I think Lloyd might be one of those deals that were held back.
The other thing is that it seems like things are lining up a little too well for Monster Hunter. With Rise on the horizon, we could just as easily see a Spirit Event, and chances are it would be updated to use the returning Hunter Miis. It just seems too perfect with how it's all lining up.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This announcement does suggest they'll probably do these day in advance tweets about trailers for known games and then do the shadow drops for brand new first party stuff. Makes sense, as you can build some small hype for the former and do the big newsworthy splash with the latter.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We might see one beforehand but technically the fairest conclusions about the future of Directs are to be made after work returns to how it's normally conducted, whenever that will be.
I wouldn't be surprised if COVID-19 remains a threat for most of the year from what I've been seeing. There were quite a few presentations at the end of last year, so we may get a direct or two in the beginning months, but after that I think we can kiss them goodbye for quite a while as the people who do that get shut back down.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Realistically the big long term question is if Nintendo, even after COVID has largely been dealt with, will have grown to prefer to week to week cycle of controlled announcements over the big seasonal directs.

Decent chance that they very well might.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom