• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
By the way, since we didn't get the fighter today, what was Alpharad and Max on about them seeing the Last Fighter

I really don't want to assume they were joking, it seem like they were serious. I already assume the Sakurai Presents is done and the only reason we are waiting is because they are preparing for the Release. Perhaps they got a Peek at it 2 weeks early, or perhaps they only saw the Trailer portion of it early
Isn't alpharad called the internet funnyman? If you don't wanna believe a guy like that was joking, then... Yeah just know they were probably joking. They probably wanted to just troll the rabid place that is smash twitter

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Direct thoughts:
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity: Look at how they massacred my boi! I can't believe they killed the little droid thingy. Mascots usually don't die.
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: lul they're charging more for the new games.
  • Super Mario Movie Cast: lul Chris Pratt = Mario. Bowser with speaking lines is going to be very weird, but given how he's always one of the best written characters in the RPGs, Jack Black is probably going to steal the show. Also, it's interesting that Foreman Spike is going to be in this movie...They're not going to try and start a SMCU are they?
  • Splatoon 3: Aw man look at all this cool game I'll never be able to play!
  • Bayonetta 3: So you're not going to address the fact that Lappy's in this game? Okay then...
    • EDIT: Also Bayonetta just dancing while her kaiju monsters fight in the background is glorious.

All those excited and emotional posts just to be told it's another date! See y'all in October for the last ride.
I hate everything.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The fact that the presentation is at 7am PST tells me that the character is probably dropping either same day, or very, very shortly after. Probably same day though.

Considering how airtight everything has been with the previous ten fighters...

Yeah, it's gonna be hard to convince me that any leaker legitimately knows who F11 is.
Previous ten

Are we watching the same DLC cycle? Pass 1 was a leak nightmare, and Pass 2 kept leaking until Steve, who was the last character widely leaked.

Last edited by a moderator:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Max was talking about him “knowing” who it is in today’s direct stream that he reacted to. Either Nintendo told him who it is for some reason for reals, or he thinks he figured out speculation wise who it is and is super confident

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The direct was nice. Not into Kirby but the new one looks cool, I might try it! And Bayonetta 3 looks great, very different and with new mechanics. I thought it was Astral Chain 2 at first, they baited us lol

Also the MH Rise expansion is cool.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY PUT SMTV IN A ****ING SIZZLE REAL.

I AM SO MAD.
Same lol. I was expecting the trailer they had in the japanese Direct for, well... our Direct. Which is this one if anyone wants to see it

Being in the sizzle reel wasn't something I was expecting. That trailer which is 1 minute long could have been in the Direct without any problems. I feel kinda disappointed because a Direct is obviously a big moment to market a game, and while SMTV did appear, it would obviously catch people's attention more with a dedicated trailer.

Last edited:

Baba

Smash Journeyman
These next two weeks are gonna be agonizing.
I really hope this character is something special. A huge bombshell.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Max was talking about him “knowing” who it is in today’s direct stream that he reacted to. Either Nintendo told him got some reason for real, or he thinks he figured out speculation wise who it is and is super confident
Watch him say it's Rock Howard. lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's funny with all the theory crafting about particular characters that given the clearly close relationship between Sega and the Big N, the series' long history on Nintendo consoles, and his newest game coming out on the same day of the final Smash presentation?

AiAi of all characters would make a bizarre amount of sense as Fighter 11.

I don't think it'll happen, but I am amused that if he were a character that wasn't a monkey in a ball, you'd probably have people convinced that he was the obvious final fighter.
Ai Ai but he has alts of all the crossover guests (But only in the base game because there's not enough room otherwise) (Also no Sonic because we already have Sonic)

This is how we can sneak Kazuma Kiryu into Smash (He can't hit women if he's stuck in a ball)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
people complain about not getting brewster
They get brewster
Proceed to complain that he is regulated in the museum and not his own building

----
Get confirmation that a new expansion the monster hunter is coming
See posts on the monster hunter discord saying "MHR base sucked"

****ERS ARE NEVER HAPPY

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Direct thoughts:
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity: Look at how they massacred my boi! I can't believe they killed the little droid thingy. Mascots usually don't die.
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: lul they're charging more for the new games.
  • Super Mario Movie Cast: lul Chris Pratt = Mario. Bowser with speaking lines is going to be very weird, but given how he's always one of the best written characters in the RPGs, Jack Black is probably going to steal the show. Also, it's interesting that Foreman Spike is going to be in this movie...They're not going to try and start a SMCU are they?
  • Splatoon 3: Aw man look at all this cool game I'll never be able to play!
  • Bayonetta 3: So you're not going to address the fact that Lappy's in this game? Okay then...
    • EDIT: Also Bayonetta just dancing while her kaiju monsters fight in the background is glorious.

I hate everything.
With some of the cast in the game, I am wondering if it is going to be kind of focus on the origin of Mario and make references to many of his early games (such as Cranky talking about fighting Mario in the original Donkey Kong or perhaps even scenes of it).

Ivander

Smash Legend
In terms of that Mario movie cast... yikes. Charlie Day as Luigi and Jack Black as Bowser are great, but Chris Pratt as Mario, Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong, and Keegan-Michael Key as Toad feel like choices made to make a profit rather than give the characters voices and personalities that fit with the games. It just screams "corporate" to me, which is very concerning given that Illumination has never been shy to admit they can and will cut corners in the interest of the almighty dollar.
To Chris' credit, he has experience with voice acting, like The Lego Movies as Emmet. But yeah, considering Mario as the Italian plumber, Chris still feels off.
people complain about not getting brewster
They get brewster
Proceed to complain that he is regulated in the museum and not his own building

----
Get confirmation that a new expansion the monster hunter is coming
See posts on the monster hunter discord saying "MHR base sucked"

****ERS ARE NEVER HAPPY
You expect happy out of trolls and the willingly ignorant?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think I hate Animal Crossing. It's fun for a bit but the game feels like a chore to keep playing. No seriously, it feels like I'm required to play it and not play because I want to play it. Happened with New Leaf, then I bought into the hype for the new one...Regrets were had.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This is how we can sneak Kazuma Kiryu into Smash (He can't hit women if he's stuck in a ball)
Ah but see, the tactic of running someone over with a vehicle and then running away is called "hit and run".

Check mate. :4pacman:

With some of the cast in the game, I am wondering if it is going to be kind of focus on the origin of Mario and make references to many of his early games (such as Cranky talking about fighting Mario in the original Donkey Kong or perhaps even scenes of it).
That actually makes a ton of sense. Not sure how many people are invested in Mario's origin story, but it makes sense.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Gotta say... not all that hyped about the NSO upgrade. There really aren't that many good N64 games, and there are already at least three ways to play old sega games on switch. I'm glad the pay increase is optional.

GBA and DS games... i might pay for that upgrade.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Not only that, but The Kids and Teens have School around the time this Presentation is supposed to be happening, in North America at least

I believe this time fits Europe the best. I'm in Central time, so this presentation will start at 9 for me. Europe is 7 Hours ahead of me, and Japan is 14. This would put the time at about 4PM and 11PM for Europe and Japan respectfully.

In any case, Remember that Steve was actually revealed at the same timeframe this October 5th Presentation is supposed to take place, so to be honest, I'm not sure how much info we can gather from this, since I think it's well agreed that Steve was the biggest character reveal in the game.

I think the the more telling things about the character rather than the time would be them waiting to a Separate Presentation to reveal them, when the Direct was right here, and of course being the Last Fighter.
  • Character potentially appealing to Europe
  • October is basically Level-5's anniversary month
  • Company is beloved in Europe, especially the Layton series, which had many releases there iirc
  • Final character most likely being on the more low key side

No, don't give me hope...
Especially when the last time I got my hopes up for Professor Layton being the final reveal in a pass, I got greeted by a different Professor....:ultbyleth:

So Professor E. Gadd it is. Luigi's Mansion 3 still missing its spirits after all. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think I hate Animal Crossing. It's fun for a bit but the game feels like a chore to keep playing. No seriously, it feels like I'm required to play it and not play because I want to play it. Happened with New Leaf, then I bought into the hype for the new one...Regrets were had.
The fact that you have to play it every day is the reason why I don't play it at all.

They should have just cast Charles Martinet as Mario. He is the perfect voice for him.
Aside from the whole "we can only cast stars in our movies" thing, I'd imagine they didn't go with Charles Martinet because his portrayal of the character could get kinda grating if he's speaking in full sentences for an entire hour or more.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait a minute. Brush leaked both Byleth and Steve in their live stream presentation. Will it happen a third time? If so, please avoid any social media including here and Brush's Reddit.
Thing is Brushie hasn’t leaked anyone since Steve. They couldn’t get Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra or Kazuya, so I doubt they’ll get the last one

like after Steve Nintendo went like “and I OOP-“ and went all Fort Knox on their Smash info

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
It helps not to play the came to complete daily goals like its genshin impact. Its perfectly fine to turn the game on and do absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm feeling it's first party. I definitely don't expect a big third party name as CP11, even if they wanted to do something special for the last presentation, I have a hard time believing Nintendo would rather reveal, idk, Sora or Crash Bandicoot in a standalone Smash Direct that only Smash fans are gonna watch instead of having the reveal in a big Nintendo Direct, where even non Nintendo fans usually watch.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The fact that this reveal is at 10AM EST tells me this is a character that doesn't have primarily Western or Worldwide appeal. Rough American times:

Joker: Revealed in the evening, don't remember the exact time..
Hero: Presentation at 9AM EST.
Banjo and Kazooie: Presentation at 6:30PM EST.
Terry: Presentation at 10AM EST.
Byleth: Presentation at 10AM EST.
Min Min: Presentation at 10AM EST.
Steve: This is the one that breaks the mold since it was at 10:30AM EST, but only because it was meant to segueway into Minecraft con or whatever that is called.
Sephiroth: Presentation at 5PM EST.
Pyra/Mythra: Presentation at 10AM EST.
Kazuya: Presentation at 10AM EST.

EDIT: Fixed some timestamps.
This just reads to me like the Super Smash Bros. characters are almost always revealed at about 10 AM EST:
  • Joker and Sephiroth were revealed at The Game Awards, so that's why they're later.
  • Hero and Banjo & Kazooie were revealed at E3 so that's why their times differ.
  • Steve was supposed to segue-way into Minecon so that's why he's later (also it's only by 30 minutes).

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Thing is Brushie hasn’t leaked anyone since Steve. They couldn’t get Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra or Kazuya, so I doubt they’ll get the last one

like after Steve Nintendo went like “and I OOP-“ and went all Fort Knox on their Smash info
But those three were revealed in a segment of a large showcase
Steve was standalone

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway, something positive about animal crossing, i cant wait to see what else they will add to the update. Maybe new hair, new clothigs and stuff we can design, maybe I can finall have real bunny ears
I want the return of the Amiibo villagers

and please I really want Off the Hook inspired villagers 🥺
But those three were revealed in a segment of a large showcase
Steve was standalone
And so was Byleth. Standalone I mean. That’s fair

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I was in the Phoenix thread, and one of the Users amageish amageish made a really good point about CP11 potentially

They said that perhaps one of the reason they might want to show off the Fighter in their own Presentation instead of the Direct is because The Moveset Explanation is more important than usual for this character, either because this character is Very niche and needs to sell on more than just the Character and Franchise itself, or even if the character is popular, Perhaps to avoid potential controversary they want to both Reveal and then explain the moveset

So with that in Mind, I'm gonna do my usual Shilling for the Ultimate

I think this makes Shadow the Hedgehog more likely because as Popular of a character as he is, I bet you that if they had revealed him today, Many are gonna just look at him as Black Sonic and be very disappointed, or very confused. Even if the Trailer makes it Clear on his unique abilities, I bet you people are gonna assume we getting ripped off with an Echo Fighter, and that's no good.

Shadow is a well known character, but Not everyone is too familiar with him, so perhaps this is their first impression of the character, and I think it might be best to explain more thoroughly to defeat the notion of Shadow being a Sonic Echo Fighter. I Imagine if Shadow was in FP2, he would have alot of Intricacies in his movement that might not be able to be expressed super clear in a Trailer

Doing Shadow in FP2 would kind of be Reimaging Sonic with the DLC Character treatment, which allows more individual systems to be implemented that Base Game development doesn't allow for, so we might see Mechanics that fit the whole Sonic Series be with Shadow, since we know Sakurai is not the most keen on radically changing movesets. This is also in addition to Shadow's own Unique Chaos Abilities, Personality and such

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is probably not a coincidence that Kamek, Cranky Kong, and Foreman Spike were grouped together.

If this movie is going to be about the origin of Mario and Luigi, then maybe Pauline, Donkey Kong Jr., Yoshi, Poochy, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Bowser, Toady, and the Stork might be in the movie, whether as main characters or cameos.

Maybe New Donk City might be in the movie as that was where the original Donkey Kong arcade took place... and maybe where Wrecking Crew took place.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It helps not to play the came to complete daily goals like its genshin impact. Its perfectly fine to turn the game on and do absolutely nothing.
Dunno, I kinda... have a lot more fun and stuff to do in Genshin. I feel like the game makes me want to play daily and only gets better if I do, but nothing makes my life worse if I don't. With AC, the passage of time and deterioration of my town felt like the game was actively punishing me for not playing every day.

But hey, different strokes for different folks. I get that it's just not my type of thing.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Dunno, I kinda... have a lot more fun and stuff to do in Genshin. I feel like the game makes me want to play daily and only gets better if I do, but nothing makes my life worse if I don't. With AC, the passage of time and deterioration of my town felt like the game was actively punishing me for not playing every day.

But hey, different strokes for different folks. I get that it's just not my type of thing.
Dont quite understand that I'd say if any game punishes you for not playing everyday it would be Genshin mpact because of how you have to do your dailies to get the said rewards for that day and for the fact that you could be missing out on a character you could pull which makes you go on and feel obligated to get primo gems to pull a character. Animal Crossing really doesn't force you to play every day you can go days without playing and nothing in your town would change. But eh what can I say

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So I was in the Phoenix thread, and one of the Users amageish amageish made a really good point about CP11 potentially

They said that perhaps one of the reason they might want to show off the Fighter in their own Presentation instead of the Direct is because The Moveset Explanation is more important than usual for this character, either because this character is Very niche and needs to sell on more than just the Character and Franchise itself, or even if the character is popular, Perhaps to avoid potential controversary they want to both Reveal and then explain the moveset
I don't think they've ever felt the obligation to fully illuminate the character's functionality with their reveal trailer. The point is just to make them look cool.

Take Steve or Kazuya. Complicated characters, certainly not entirely explained at their first showing. The intrigue of how their moveset works isn't a downside. At E3 they even basically teased Kazuya being elaborate and then were like "tune in later to find out wtf is going on!"

So with that in Mind, I'm gonna do my usual Shilling for the Ultimate

I think this makes Shadow the Hedgehog more likely because as Popular of a character as he is, I bet you that if they had revealed him today, Many are gonna just look at him as Black Sonic and be very disappointed, or very confused. Even if the Trailer makes it Clear on his unique abilities, I bet you people are gonna assume we getting ripped off with an Echo Fighter, and that's no good.

Shadow is a well known character, but Not everyone is too familiar with him, so perhaps this is their first impression of the character, and I think it might be best to explain more thoroughly to defeat the notion of Shadow being a Sonic Echo Fighter. I Imagine if Shadow was in FP2, he would have alot of Intricacies in his movement that might not be able to be expressed super clear in a Trailer

Doing Shadow in FP2 would kind of be Reimaging Sonic with the DLC Character treatment, which allows more individual systems to be implemented that Base Game development doesn't allow for, so we might see Mechanics that fit the whole Sonic Series be with Shadow, since we know Sakurai is not the most keen on radically changing movesets. This is also in addition to Shadow's own Unique Chaos Abilities, Personality and such
You're not giving people much credit for being able to tell existing movesets from new ones, which is a pretty rudimentary ability for anyone halfway familiar with the series.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The fact that you have to play it every day is the reason why I don't play it at all.

Aside from the whole "we can only cast stars in our movies" thing, I'd imagine they didn't go with Charles Martinet because his portrayal of the character could get kinda grating if he's speaking in full sentences for an entire hour or more.
Would have been amusing if they had cast Martinet to play Mario in the movie, but he used his Paarthurnax voice from Skyrim:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom