• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Well, I thought for sure we were going to get the reveal here, if it was going to be happening in the same general timeframe.

So I guess I just have one question for those with the experience...

Is it at least tasty?
Amazing.

Speaking of...

Yeah, the Twitter posts announcing it are already up.

The first reply has Nintendo confirm it's roughly 40 mins.
I'm gonna commit something so heinous that it will likely wind up with me eating a lot of crows:

LoL.png
dota2.png

:4pacman:

They've done this like, twice before. It demonstrates nothing out of the regular.

They ****in' revealed Robin and Lucina like this back in Smash 4 days. They revealed Byleth like this and like no one liked Byleth.

TBF they've also changed quite a lot about their character reveals and what not. IIRC the character reveals in Smash 4 (and Brawl) did not detail the entire moveset for instance.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's gonna be Sora and the 40 minutes represents Kingdom Hearts 4 or some **** like that.

Can't wait for Mushroom Kingdom Hearts to become canon through Smash Bros.
40Min, 35 of them to explain the lore by taking shortcuts, 5 to just show an early KOF XV ****ty one frame move trailer cut .

Shroob

Sup?
I get the idea of wanting a sentimental ending, but like

We kinda already got the look back of Ultimate and Smash 4 newcomers, with Sakurai talking about how long it's been.

I definitely get people wanting a warm, fuzzy end to everything, and I'm sure there will be, but it'd be kinda redundant to do what a lot of people are suggesting when the prior video already did it.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
That direct... definitely wasn't for me. I've never really had any interest in Bayonetta or Monster Hunter, so I don't have any real feelings on them either way (I'm not a huge fan of Bayonetta's new design though, the silhouette seems a little too bulky IMO). Likewise, Splatoon's story mode has never been great (outside of the Octo Expansion, but that was DLC built entirely around a single-player campaign), so seeing Splatoon 3's story mode really didn't do much for me. Nintendo 64 and Genesis on NSO are neat, but it still feels way too little way too late.

Also, announcements for announcements. Never super fun. I guess it gives us something to look forward to in October

In terms of that Mario movie cast... yikes. Charlie Day as Luigi and Jack Black as Bowser are great, but Chris Pratt as Mario, Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong, and Keegan-Michael Key as Toad feel like choices made to make a profit rather than give the characters voices and personalities that fit with the games. It just screams "corporate" to me, which is very concerning given that Illumination has never been shy to admit they can and will cut corners in the interest of the almighty dollar.

Really, Kirby was the only thing that made me genuinely hype and that was leaked early.

D

Deleted member

We technically got that in Kazuya's presentation. Sakurai already gave a little lookback with a "It's been a long time" speech in that one.
Ok but I mean it's not everybody and isn't a whole musical montage so-

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I recall someone on the Minecraft dev team retweeting the twitter announcement for the 10/1/2020 reveal that was Steve.
inb4 something like that happens again

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's a fun thing they should do
10 second countdown like they did with Steve's reveal
But for each second, go down the CPs

So
10 - :ultkazuya:
9 - :ultpyra::ultmythra:
8 - :ultsephiroth:
I think you see where this is going
But uh thoughts?
I have a kind of similar idea? But it’s for a cinematic at the end of the final presentation.

assuming the trailer is a WoL Final Battle theme and Galeem and Dharkon are finished off and it’s the true ending right? All the Spirits are flying home

well uh

this cinematic will show everyone including CP11 on the cliffs overlooking the Spirit-spout as a holographic screen appears before the spout and it plays all the Ultimate and 4 trailers in reverse reveal order, followed by Brawl’s reveals, the Melee newcomers shown off from the Melee intro, and finally the Smash 64 intro with everyone from 64 shown. After it’s all over, everyone looks back at the viewer as the camera pans up to the sky where the spout ends…

See you next game.

😭💖 frick I’m emotional now

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
TBF they've also changed quite a lot about their character reveals and what not. IIRC the character reveals in Smash 4 (and Brawl) did not detail the entire moveset for instance.
There's still precedent for it this cycle with Byleth.

Just saying to keep hype reasonably high for this one. Don't go to the moon or anything like that.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So wait, are you saying the last character will absolutely be a more low key third-party character like Estelle or Adol? Hopefully if one of them were to be playable we'd get a ton of music tracks similar to Terry.
Hmm

What I think what it might be hinting towards is we probably aren't getting a character like Kazuya or Steve, characters that would appeal to Audiences perhaps not paying attention to Smash specifically

I feel less inclined (Not impossible, just less inclined) to believe in something like Fortnite or Master Chief being the character as an example. Steve did get revealed in a Separate direct, but not only was there no Real Direct in 2020, but also it was tie in to Minecon

We had a whole Direct to show off who CP11 was today, but they decided not to do that. That doesn't mean the character would be unexciting, I'm just unsure if we are going to see Bombshell in New Territory, that characters like Chief and Jonsey would be example of. I'm thinking either it's new Territory that has more niche appeal the Some of the Big League franchises, or we are rethreading on Old ground in terms of character choices (already represented franchises)

Of course, what this could also be an example of is Sakurai wanting to keep tradition of the Final character getting revealed in it's own Presentation. Ever since Smash 4 Base game, none of the Final fighters have been revealed in a Regular Direct, but their own presentation, and this might be something similar now.

Personally I think CP11 Primary goal is to appeal to audiences already Playing Smash. Min Min, Pyra/Mythra, and Sephiroth already do that, but I think CP11 is gonna take it to a Higher level I think. Bayonetta is an example, as despite being a New Franchise (If Niche) her main reason for getting in was Fan requests due to the ballot (even if she was chosen before that was a thing).

They Didn't reveal this character in the Direct because this Character is for people already tuned into Smash I'm thinking. I have Two Particular characters in Mind, but you might Disagree

D

Deleted member

I have a kind of similar idea? But it’s for a cinematic at the end of the final presentation.

assuming the trailer is a WoL Final Battle theme and Galeem and Dharkon are finished off and it’s the true ending right? All the Spirits are flying home

well uh

this cinematic will show everyone including CP11 on the cliffs overlooking the Spirit-spout as a holographic screen appears before the spout and it plays all the Ultimate and 4 trailers in reverse reveal order, followed by Brawl’s reveals, the Melee newcomers shown off from the Melee intro, and finally the Smash 64 intro with everyone from 64 shown. After it’s all over, everyone looks back at the viewer as the camera pans up to the sky where the spout ends…

See you next game.

😭💖 frick I’m emotional now
See you next game.
Damn you know if they really do end on that note people are gonna be talking about that line for years to come.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I get the idea of wanting a sentimental ending, but like

We kinda already got the look back of Ultimate and Smash 4 newcomers, with Sakurai talking about how long it's been.

I definitely get people wanting a warm, fuzzy end to everything, and I'm sure there will be, but it'd be kinda redundant to do what a lot of people are suggesting when the prior video already did it.
I'm kinda surprised they showed smash 4 gameplay tbh lol. Even if that was from trailers and whatnot, one could argue that Sakurai has said he's been pretty much working on smash since for so maybe that was his kind of retrospective? Like, he's finally having an actual break.. That could support this idea but IDK

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's gonna be Sora and the 40 minutes represents Kingdom Hearts 4 or some **** like that.

Can't wait for Mushroom Kingdom Hearts to become canon through Smash Bros.
If Sora does make it in, I'm curious if Nomura will manage to slide in some plot details and make Super Smash Bros. Ultimate part of the timeline.

On the one hand, I can't really see that being executed super well. Smash DLC just isn't a great platform to convey complex plot points. On the other hand, Kingdom Hearts is a series where Japan-only mobile games contain plot details that have implications on the series going forward, so an appearance in a crossover fighter also advancing the story isn't that big of a stretch.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Well this pretty much kills all so-called leaks claiming there's post-FP2 content for good.

Also Big Bird looking to have a surprisingly bigger shot than I thought considering how close the presentation date is to Dread's release date.
That would mean Sakurai has an early copy of Dread and he played through it to get a moveset idea

Also rapper Mario leak is 100% dead

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
A little disappointed Nintendo is talking all this premium membership non sense for N64 and Sega Genesis games. So many great games on the N64 and yet the line up in my opinion is still limited.

On a side note, this presentation seemed very Square heavy and even a little Disney support thrown in there. Sora? Would love to see it, guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Well this pretty much kills all so-called leaks claiming there's post-FP2 content for good.

Also Big Bird looking to have a surprisingly bigger shot than I thought considering how close the presentation date is to Dread's release date.
I really want it now lol. Even if it makes people mad idc if it's a shill pick. That series needs to be shilled after the 2010's.

blackghost

Smash Champion
bayonetta 3 is confirmed 2022 thank god. its been 4 years.

i wouldn't get your hopes up for sora becuase of a disney game being re-released. thats not nearly as intense and hard a negotiation as making new content with a company like disney.

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Hmm

What I think what it might be hinting towards is we probably aren't getting a character like Kazuya or Steve, characters that would appeal to Audiences perhaps not paying attention to Smash specifically

I feel less inclined (Not impossible, just less inclined) to believe in something like Fortnite or Master Chief being the character as an example. Steve did get revealed in a Separate direct, but not only was there no Real Direct in 2020, but also it was tie in to Minecon

We had a whole Direct to show off who CP11 was today, but they decided not to do that. That doesn't mean the character would be unexciting, I'm just unsure if we are going to see Bombshell in New Territory, that characters like Chief and Jonsey would be example of. I'm thinking either it's new Territory that has more niche appeal the Some of the Big League franchises, or we are rethreading on Old ground in terms of character choices (already represented franchises)

Of course, what this could also be an example of is Sakurai wanting to keep tradition of the Final character getting revealed in it's own Presentation. Ever since Smash 4 Base game, none of the Final fighters have been revealed in a Regular Direct, but their own presentation, and this might be something similar now.

Personally I think CP11 Primary goal is to appeal to audiences already Playing Smash. Min Min, Pyra/Mythra, and Sephiroth already do that, but I think CP11 is gonna take it to a Higher level I think. Bayonetta is an example, as despite being a New Franchise (If Niche) her main reason for getting in was Fan requests due to the ballot (even if she was chosen before that was a thing).

They Didn't reveal this character in the Direct because this Character is for people already tuned into Smash I'm thinking. I have Two Particular characters in Mind, but you might Disagree
So your telling me if it was Goku we would have seen him today and that he won’t be in a only smash direct because he is to big if a character right!?? Oh well there is always next game :4pacman:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
It's basically impossible but I still want Dark Souls to be represented. The final trailer being themed around "the age of fire" coming to an end as Smash is coming to an end would be too cool.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Just logged into computer. Looks like we have to wait until 10/5/2021. Smash Ultimate's one last drag out for speculation haha.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
That would mean Sakurai has an early copy of Dread and he played through it to get a moveset idea

Also rapper Mario leak is 100% dead
I mean, Nintendo is picking the characters. Dread has been in development for years. Would be pretty easy to get early gameplay for it. If there is a shill pick to be had, it's this one.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
A little disappointed Nintendo is talking all this premium membership non sense for N64 and Sega Genesis games. So many great games on the N64 and yet the line up in my opinion is still limited.

On a side note, this presentation seemed very Square heavy and even a little Disney support thrown in there. Sora? Would love to see it, guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.
I'm still annoyed that we have to pay a subscription to play these games instead of letting us just buy them.
I want to BUY these N64 games so I'll always have them on the Switch. What happens when Switch Online ends in the future? Are these games just gone then?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's the other way around and they didn't want the next Smash character to be overshadowed by Charlie Day Luigi.
I will choose this to be the truth.

I mean, what are we talking about right now, Bayonetta 3 finally revealed, a 3D Kirby after so many years, or Charlie Day Luigi?

Case closed.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I mean, Nintendo is picking the characters. Dread has been in development for years. Would be pretty easy to get early gameplay for it. If there is a shill pick to be had, it's this one.
Not to mention that there was probably already concept art made for Big Bird considering that they showed up as early as Samus Returns in the Chozo Memories.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Just out of curiosity, was anything leaked before the Direct? I heard that things were getting leaked so I left the internet for a few hours until the Direct was over.
Any games leak or Smash character rumors gain any traction?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Just out of curiosity, was anything leaked before the Direct? I heard that things were getting leaked so I left the internet for a few hours until the Direct was over.
Any games leak or Smash character rumors gain any traction?
As far as I’ve seen, Kirby 3D and Bayo 3 got leaked beforehand. Haven’t heard anything about Smash.

7NATOR

Smash Master
By the way, since we didn't get the fighter today, what was Alpharad and Max on about them seeing the Last Fighter

I really don't want to assume they were joking, it seem like they were serious. I already assume the Sakurai Presents is done and the only reason we are waiting is because they are preparing for the Release. Perhaps they got a Peek at it 2 weeks early, or perhaps they only saw the Trailer portion of it early

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
By the way, since we didn't get the fighter today, what was Alpharad and Max on about them seeing the Last Fighter

I really don't want to assume they were joking, it seem like they were serious. I already assume the Sakurai Presents is done and the only reason we are waiting is because they are preparing for the Release. Perhaps they got a Peek at it 2 weeks early, or perhaps they only saw the Trailer portion of it early
Knowing Alpharad he’s probably ****posting

Maximilian Dood tho, I’m not so sure about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom