• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
OK after looking into it, I think Person from Game Builder Garage could be super cool. Their normal moves would likely be fairly generic, but for their Special Moves, they'd call upon various Nodons to aid them in combat. And since the Nodons are literally just sapient blocks of code, they could do basically anything once you set up enough of them. They could end up being a super open ended setup character that could work towards entirely different setup goals depending on the player's playstyle, or the given matchup.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
According to this board we are very likely to get a direct announcement tomorrow because... I'm not exactly sure why.
Wishful thinking, the fact that it's likely to be this week or next week, and the fact that Nintendo stuff is happening this week.

Due to the latter two points, I'd say it's reasonable to be optimistic about the announcement happening tomorrow or Wednesday.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
According to this board we are very likely to get a direct announcement tomorrow because... I'm not exactly sure why.
Well, a balanced amount of optimism and cynicism helps create a healthy environment so I am glad people havent given up hope but arent deluding themselves.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
For me:
  1. Sora, Crash, BWD, Eggman or Phoenix Wright
  2. No idea
  3. :ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultminmin:ultsephiroth::ultkazuya:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
For me:
  2. No idea
1. Issac and Paper Mario are my dream choices but Nahobino, Rhythm Heaven character, Octoling or Phoenix Wright would be cool
2. I am still undecided on the matter. I suppose a Pokemon most sounds plausible in my mind.
3. :ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultsteve::ultminmin:ulthero3:

Shroob

Sup?
For context, in 2019, the Direct fell on the 4th, and announced that NSO would be getting SNES titles.

Assuming the rumor is indeed legit, then theoretically, the Direct will come before the 17th, cause, I mean duh.

HOWEVER, this assumes that the rumor is indeed true, and while multiple news sources have reported on it being the case, nothing's confirmed until we see it.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
For context, in 2019, the Direct fell on the 4th, and announced that NSO would be getting SNES titles.

Assuming the rumor is indeed legit, then theoretically, the Direct will come before the 17th, cause, I mean duh.

HOWEVER, this assumes that the rumor is indeed true, and while multiple news sources have reported on it being the case, nothing's confirmed until we see it.
For a bit of context, how many days was the direct announced before the SNES update?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
  1. Who do I want the last? Brian, Urshifu, Rabbid
  2. Who do I think is most realistic? Too hard to say.
  3. Most hype? Terry, Steve, Hero, in that order.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
For me:
  2. No idea
1. Sakura Wars Rep, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Ayumi Tachibana, or an Assist Trophy Upgrade (Krystal, Waluigi, or Isaac)
2.No Clue
3.:ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie::ultbyleth::ultpyra:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
2. The only person I'm truly confident on rn is Waluigi. Think Hayabusa may have a shot too

Does Waluigi even count as a person though? His bone structure just... isn't normal. If he was a person I'd be concerned for his health.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Steve needs a lullaby to sleep to.
Wholesome 100
I didnt know that Rosalina liked watching people sleep. That is a bit creepy.
The Duality of Man
For me:
  2. No idea
1. Asuka, but anybody will work so long as they’re fun
2. We’ve been off so often this cycle that I hone can’t say anymore.
3. Yes

SirCamp

Smash Ace
1. Rhythm Heaven, SoS Farmer, Sora, Ryu H:ultbanjokazooie:ayabusa
2. The only person I'm truly confident on rn is Waluigi. Think Hayabusa may have a shot too
3. :ultminmin:ultsteve::ultbyleth::ult_terry::ultpyra:
I see SoS Farmer, I like. Those are the rules!

Also for me:
1. Isaac, SoS Farmer, or Dixie Kong (or by some miracle Bomberman)
2. Uh, no idea really... A Kirby character?
3. :ultbanjokazooie: and it's not close

Paraster

Smash Lord
For me:
  2. No idea
1. Quote, Neku, Frisk, Papyrus, or Tabuu
2. Frisk, Papyrus, or Reimu.
3. In terms of personal excitement, Steve. In terms of "I can't wait to see people's reactions," Joker or Banjo.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
For me:
  2. No idea
1. BWD, Rhythm Heaven character/Tibby, Reimu, or Monokuma
2. No clue who to guess for, but hoping for Reimu mainly lol
3. Definitely :ultbanjokazooie:, I legitimately started screaming like a maniac when that Jiggy bounced. Aside from that, probably :ultsteve: because he was so absurd and out of place in that perfect way that I fell in love with the concept pretty much immediately or :ultpyra:/:ultmythra: because Pyra was another most wanted of mine like Banjo, but I figured it'd have to include Rex, so seeing Rex excluded honestly kinda made me even more excited lmao

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
For me:
  2. No idea
1. Sgt. Cortez or Axel Stone
2. Sgt. Cortez or Sora
3. :ultbanjokazooie: :ultsephiroth::ult_terry::ultkazuya::ulthero2: in that order

I swear this is yall sometimes:
View attachment 329511
Ha ha! Sometimes,,, That's a bit generous.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
1 - Who do I want as final character: Kirby content, mainly Adeleine & Ribbon, but I would be also ok with any other Kirby character who is not a waddle dee. One of those flashy Dream Friends or a final boss like Dark Matter or even Queen Sectonia. I would even take someone smaller but iconic such as Chef Kawasaki if he wasn't an assist already.
2 - Who do I think is likely: Tidus from FFX (this is a joke but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out real)
3 - Most hype: nobody. Least disappointing maybe, and it would be someone like Min-min or Steve because of their unique mechanics... but still nothing hype for me. To the point I'm more hyped to try out Spongebob in that Nickelodeon game, serious.
I swear this is yall sometimes:
View attachment 329511
Direct happens
"The world is cruel, I wasted years of my life waiting for this depressing pile of nothing, I'm useless" 😥

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
What if this was the Smash series roster?
The format you have this in makes it a bit hard to determine the big changes in general. I had to cross-reference a bunch of stuff to spot every difference. For the benefit of others:
The following characters have been axed in favor of different characters being included:
  • Jigglypuff (axed for Meowth)
  • Dr. Mario (axed for Ayumi)
  • Pichu (axed for Scizor)
  • Corrin (axed for Azura)
  • Piranha Plant (axed for Bandana Waddle Dee)
  • Byleth (axed for Sora)
  • Lucina (axed so Chrom could appear a game early)
Squirtle and Ivysaur have also been axed, but no character replaces them.

The following characters have no counterparts, and the resources to include them have apparently been summoned up from the ether:
  • Snivy
  • Crash

The following are echoes introduced in this timeline's Ultimate. One of these replaces Chrom's inclusion since now he's returning from 4, but the other is summoned up from the ether.
  • Alph
  • Shadow
And the remaining slot in Pass 2 is given to Phoenix Wright, and shuffled to near the beginning.
I guess my primary criticism of this list is that it sort of... breaks its own rules, in terms of being replacements for Smash rosters that are the same size. At the start of the list you have clones getting replaced with unique characters that would take much more dev time, in Brawl two characters' worth of dev work gets tossed out with nothing to replace it, and near the end characters just start getting added in with no resources freed up to devote to them.

It gets really hard to judge decisions when the framework they're made in seems so loose and pliable. My thoughts aren't on whether this is a good spread of characters given the limitations, they're on "why can't you give Ultimate ten more newcomers with the same money you used to give it Crash?"

I'm sure you probably want to hear me actually talk about the characters on the roster rather than the roster itself, though, so I'll talk a little about that.
  • Corrin and Byleth are characters I support cutting in any circumstance.
  • If Lucina gets cut from Smash 4 and Chrom gets added to Smash 4, how is he a clone of Roy, who wouldn't be added to Smash 4 until DLC?
  • I touched on this before, but Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, and Pichu's inclusions were based more on ease of development rather than on their merit as characters in their own right. I might prefer your replacements overall, but we couldn't have actually gotten them.
  • I'm still not sure where the money for Squirtle and Ivysaur goes. Is it supposed to be for Snivy and Crash? They're in later games, and I don't think you get to keep unspent budget for one game and use it on the sequel. You could say it's the saved funds from not bringing them back as vets - and that may work for Ultimate, but it doesn't work for Smash 4, because neither of them are in it.
  • While I'm on the subject: people are annoyed about generations in Pokemon getting skipped now. Imagine how bad it is in this timeline where the only gen that gets skipped is Hoenn. Especially around SwSh's release - people were real annoyed with Charizard then. I can practically taste the hypothetical "Smash goes back for Gen 5 with Snivy, but oh, we gotta include Charizard!" posts.
  • Hey, speaking of Snivy. I don't think it's a terrible option to go with considering the first evo's popularity, but I feel like it's a bit of a waste to go with it instead of the unique body type of Serperior.
  • Honestly, I find myself wishing the cuts were a little bolder. If I were doing something like this, Sheik and Zero Suit Samus would be one of the first characters on the chopping block, as completely unique characters that are just versions of another character on the roster (and not only that but said versions are limited to basically one or two games).
  • Speaking of Zelda characters, it's actually quite surprising to me that you kept all three versions of Link, considering you cut Pichu and Dr. Mario.
  • Also, where does that one extra Echo Fighter in Ultimate even come from? Even if I let you have the "delayed payoff" for Pokemon Trainer, I couldn't let you have that?

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
For me:
  2. No idea
1. Reimu, Agumon and Sora. Many others but i'm too lazy to list them all off.
2. Uh idk. The least wanted character of the person reading this.
3.:ultjoker::ulthero3::ultzombie::ultsephiroth::ultpyra: were the most hype for me but I've enjoyed all the other fighters so far in some way or another.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wow that's kinda surprising now that I think about it. 1 2 Switch was advertised a lot in 2017, and it was a launch title. You'd think it would have at least music or something.

(This is an argument for bringing back the Chronicle from Brawl)
I think Smash rarely ever acknowledges these little tech demo type of games Nintendo releases at launch with their systems unless they really manage to make a lasting impact.
Like Face Raiders and the Mr. AR guy despite them being literally built in to every 3DS system.

Even the mii's where barely in Brawl until after the Wii era. iirc the closest thing to any acknowledgement they had was maybe some avatars you could have in Brawl's online I think, and maybe a song or two...

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am sure there are 0 people who will see this theory as plausible...however

Perhaps Sakurai did start working on a Champion at some point (Base, or right after, or who knows when). Maybe he even thought up full movesets, or even initially thought about them all being joined.
Then, like with the former echoes, he realized- that doesn't make sense for the characters. Their is no way all four champions would be connected.

So instead, he worked on all four, and we actually have all four of them coming out as separate characters.
And thus, the final reveal is : Urbosa, Revali, Mipha, and Daruk.

(no nonsense about one character left, please; this is with that shocker in mind)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I am sure there are 0 people who will see this theory as plausible...however

Perhaps Sakurai did start working on a Champion at some point (Base, or right after, or who knows when). Maybe he even thought up full movesets, or even initially thought about them all being joined.
Then, like with the former echoes, he realized- that doesn't make sense for the characters. Their is no way all four champions would be connected.

So instead, he worked on all four, and we actually have all four of them coming out as separate characters.
And thus, the final reveal is : Urbosa, Revali, Mipha, and Daruk.

(no nonsense about one character left, please; this is with that shocker in mind)
I mean, we know that Challenger Pack 11 is the final character.

And Nintendo being Nintendo, there's no way they'd allow a "Challenger Pack 11 is actually 4 characters!" Knowing them, they'd want at least 3-4.99 each per character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom