• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Kinda funny but sometimes I kinda just want Demi-fiend/Flynn/Nahobino as CP11 so that way some people stops underestimating SMT, after seeing certain messages here and there.

But at the same time, I also happen to feel the opposite way when I read some of Willbuysmash4mw's posts where he just assumes SMT V will be the best game of all time, that it will outsell games such as Three Houses or how Nahobino is without a doubt, the last fighter.

As I already said to him, it's cool to be passionate about something you like, but you have to control yourself and not assume you're absolutely right when we still don't know who is the last character. Otherwise what you will accomplish is giving a bad image to people unfamiliar with the series, because for some folks it will naturally become tiring to keep reading "Nahobino this, Nahobino that, Nahobino, Nahobino..."

And it sucks because the character is cool and SMT V is one of my most anticipated games in years, but I'm not going to make more people interested in the game or the series by saying the same thing 100 times.

MegaTen already has a rep.
Yeah, Joker is a Megaten rep. But he's not repping SMT, as in, what people usually calls the mainline games (Nocturne, SMT IV, Strange Journey, the upcoming SMT V...) like, at all.

You tell that to the people who wants a SMT rep and they would just laugh. If the situation was reversed and we got Demi-fiend in Smash, but not Joker and 0 Persona content, do you really think people would see Demi-fiend, his Nocturne stage and the SMT music he would bring as "Persona representation"?

Not the first time I use this example, but the notion of Joker already repping SMT is like suggesting Mario would be enough to rep the Donkey Kong series, so at that point we could just delete the DK content in Smash and use Mario's presence as an excuse to gatekeep Donkey Kong from being in the game.
That's how it feels when someone says Joker is enough and we don't need a SMT character lmao.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
As for SMT content in Smash, that is a given. Even if Nintendo for some reason has a better choice than Nahobino lined up(which I honestly can’t see given the variables), SMT V is way too important to Nintendo not to put spirits in at least.
Not really. That’s just bogus logic.

level 5 are important to Nintendo because Nintendo publishes all the Layton games and level 5 have their own section on the Nintendo website which the only other 3rd party company to have 1 slot on there is capcom.

Yet you don’t see them with any content in smash. You see how bogus that whole statement is. That’s just arrogance on your half. Not every 3rd party company that has ties to Nintendo has to get content.

have you ever stopped and wonder that maybe atlus and Nintendo just don’t wanna add any SMT content??? Atlus made it pretty clear when they threw sakurai under the bus that sakurai came to them specifically for persona content and nothing else. Didn’t even bat an eye at SMT content.

SMT could Pretty well get content but dude, you act like you’re a god and we should worship you. You act like you’re sakurai and that you know exactly what sakurai and Nintendo chose. It gets tiresome

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, here's a question for you all: if Bandai Namco could get a 3rd rep, who'd you like to see? For me, I'd go with Rick Taylor from Splatterhouse. A horror themed beat-em-up series with some awesome music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Du4I9yOD8Q
KOS-MOS (possibly with a T-elos echo) or a not-Lloyd Tales character like Yuri, Velvet, Alphen, Shionne, or Luke

yes, Luke. Best character development of a Tales protagonist I’ve ever seen. WE DO NOT TOLERATE LUKE SLANDER IN THIS HOUSE. 😤

…or also, Haruka Amami because I can

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just remember; you can be a member of a franchise but not actually represent the whole franchise. You can also not represent another part of the franchise in any way(SMT has zero presence in Smash. Persona does, and on a technicality, so does MegaTen). Joker isn't under the MegaTen moniker either way, and if and only if we had SMT in Smash would it be worth calling him an actual MegaTen rep. As of now, it isn't. It doesn't mean SMT stands a chance, though it's definitely in a better spot than Golden Sun(at least to what we know. And no, I don't consider leaks to mean much, since they aren't strong alone. Until an actual GS game is outright leaked, not just the trademark, I don't think it remotely is in a good position).

Cloud and Joker are great examples of this. Cloud(and Sephiroth as well) represents only Final Fantasy VII. That doesn't mean they aren't a member of Final Fantasy as a whole. Joker only represents Persona. MegaTen, sure, technically. But let's not pretend there's any SMT content in there. There's slightly generic FF content, but it's only the Chocobo costume. There's also a bit of FFVIII with the version of Ifrit on the actual stage. But overall, it's clear what Cloud and Sephiroth(and generally the content) is for; VII. Joker also came out with more than Persona 5, but unlike Cloud/Sephiroth, actually has a decent amount of other Persona content.

Albeit, both of those are slightly different in their franchise representation, but that just furthers shows what I mean. It's completely variable, and not just one size fits all here.

Okay, here's a question for you all: if Bandai Namco could get a 3rd rep, who'd you like to see? For me, I'd go with Rick Taylor from Splatterhouse. A horror themed beat-em-up series with some awesome music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Du4I9yOD8Q
Not even a contest. Agumon. Nightmare and Lloyd Irving are easily close seconds. And I still want to see Heihachi in~

My dream pick is ToyAgumon, but it ain't getting in over the actual mascot. A color reference would be cool, or even a spirit, but I don't see that happening either. Hell, I'm doubtful of a separate Digimon spirit event...

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Nightmare/Siegfried. Soul Calibur is right behind Tekken in terms of 3D Fighters and Nightmares design is absolutely badass.

The moveset potential is insane, with Nightmare presumably being a Swordy with fighting game mechanics.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Agumon from Digimon.

It would be nice to see the Bandai side of Namco-Bandai represented, as well as getting an official match-up between Pokemon and Digimon.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
I love SMT, but you're really exaggerating its chances. SMT is far more niche than Fire Emblem, and a Smash character is unlikely to change that.
Persona was quite a bit more niche than Fire Emblem after Awakening; but after a crapload of spin offs, a new beloved game in the series coming out on healthy and strong consoles, recognition at the Game Awards and Joker in Smash, now Persona dwarfs Fire Emblem pretty heavily. If SMT V is a break out hit on the Switch that draws Persona fans, gets the same recognition as Persona 5 and gets a Smash character(which will draw more direct parallels to Persona), then SMT V will blow by Three Houses with no problem at all. SMT’s niche status is not as permanent or decisive as you think.
I was going to put the SMT V battle theme preview ATLUS uploaded today here to give an example of music Nahobino could come with, but I decided against it because I know for a fact people are tired of SMT (specifically Nahobino) discussion because of this one argument.
Personally I don’t like the 2nd track. I hope they didn’t get rid of the songs from the 1st and 2nd trailers because those were way better than that.

You’re just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think like this, because chances are we won't get Nahobino. And even if literally everything points to Nahobino, which it doesn't, then we'd still probably get a Pianta from Mario Sunshine, because we almost never get the most obvious character.
I would sort of agree with you if people actually thought Nahobino was obvious, but right now he seems like the obvious character almost no one is guessing(although I am starting to see some more regular Nintendo gamers guessing he is the character purely based on marketing reasons). The chances for Nahobino just at face value are actually extremely strong.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How would Smashboards feel about if, for Smash's final balance patch, they gave buffs to the entire roster similar to how FighterZ's entire roster got buffed for its final balance patch?
Might need to elaborate on this. Like... what kind of buffs? Are they all suddenly Brawl Meta Knight tier?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
How would Smashboards feel about if, for Smash's final balance patch, they gave buffs to the entire roster similar to how FighterZ's entire roster got buffed for its final balance patch?
Do it.
Easily, and without question.

SSBU is balanced but only in regards to there being a sea of mediocrity with top tiers scattered about. If we can raise the general level of every character, I'd be extremely interested, especially if they're as radical as DBFZ's latest patch.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sure, let's go with that. Or Sm4sh Bayonetta tier. Basically imagine reading the patch notes and you're like "Oh my god is this section on Kirby/Incineroar/Villager 100% serious about these crazy changes?"
...Can we go Melee Fox tier instead? Very very good, but not "oh my gawd" ridiculous. ._.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Chosen Undead as we can get a dark fantasy knight. Would like to see some Dark Souls content in Smash, at least a Solaire AT

Otherwise, Agumon from Digimon to revive 90’s kids Digimon vs Pokemon childhood days.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, I'm considering getting in to the RPGs so does anyone have a good recommendation on how to get the original? It's not on Steam as it's a Master System game
I've been thinking of looking into Phantasy Star a little lately myself, so going off of this, what's all the important games in the series and which ones are available on modern consoles? I at least know someone mentioned the first four are available and there's also PSO2, but I'm not sure what goes between them. Anyone able to give a rundown?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I have a new theory for the final character.

You know how, when it comes to first party characters as the final character, we’re unsure whether they might represent older games on the Switch like Xenoblade 2 or ARMS, or whether they’ll repressnt a game that is coming out later.

Well, why choose? With Sandwich Theory, you can have both! For this theory, we’re looking for games that had both a release around when they started deciding Fighter’s Pass 2, as well as a game in development that Sakurai could’ve asked Nintendo about. This way, even if the new release would go haywire or would be on the unsafe side, the character could still stand on its own thanks to its legacy or the game that released around 2017!

Examples include a Splatoon character for both Splatoon 2 and Splatoon 3, Paper Mario for both Color Splash and Origami King, Rabbids for both Kingdom Battle and Sparks of Hope, a Zelda fighter for Breath of the Wild, Age of Calamity and Breath of the Wild sequel and possibly a Kirby and DK fighter for Star Allies and DK Tropical Freeze and their rumoured new games!

A new game on the horizon that can get its first waves with a Smash fighter’s hype, with the content and exact proof-of-concept of an older game, and a Smash fighter sandwiched in the middle. Sandwich Theory!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
From everything we know right now SMT V will blow Three Houses out of the water in terms of quality, and Three Houses was my 2nd most hyped Switch title when I got my Switch in 2018(guess what was/is my 1st most hyped….).

You act like we don’t anything about the game when we actually know more than enough for most fans to be sold on it and literally stop watching the trailers(aside from maybe watching the trailer in the Nintendo direct to know the English voice actors).

Right now SMT V is pretty much guaranteed to be a candidate for game of the year, what we don’t know(which I suspect is still quite a lot despite the fact that we understand a lot about the gameplay already) will only make this game go from one of the greatest games of the year to one of the greatest games of all time.

Three Houses never really had much of a chance to do anything other than being one of the best games of the year and bring the old and the new Fire Emblem fanbases together. The next new Fire Emblem will be the big one that is able to get the franchise to the 5 million seller and expand the reach of the genre forever.
We don't know it will be fun.
Let's not act as if games havn't been super hype for people, and then a let down.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've been thinking of looking into Phantasy Star a little lately myself, so going off of this, what's all the important games in the series and which ones are available on modern consoles? I at least know someone mentioned the first four are available and there's also PSO2, but I'm not sure what goes between them. Anyone able to give a rundown?
As far as the Switch goes, between the Sega Ages version of Phantasy Star & the Sega Genesis Classics, you'd basically have the all the original. The two Game Gear titles (Adventure and Gaiden) are a little trickier to come by.

Last edited:

to be forgotten

Smash Rookie
For the classic era 1, 2, and 4 tell the core story and 3 is cool but not too important.

1 has a great version on SEGA AGES. Light on story and character development, but it's a fun romp that doesn't take too long and Alis, the main heroine, is referenced, cameos, and otherwise appears/alluded to in either major or subtle ways in almost every single game going forward.

2 is technically the most "iconic" by far, as it's where most of Phantasy Star got its longterm trappings for things like how the setting feels, characters are designed, the music, iconic moments, and things like that but it's also unfortunately the hardest to actually play because it's mostly dungeons. Details about each individual character's backstories and personalities are greatly expanded by the text adventures, which got an English fan translation not long ago.

3 is cool, especially its generation system that probably helped inspire Fire Emblem's, but it's also painfully unfinished and you can tell. Go for it if you want more after playing the others, but it's very rough around the edges.

4 is the easiest to play, has the best characters, story, and is just a great classic RPG. If you love 16 bit RPGs and haven't played PSIV, you should. Like, you definitely should. It's top 10, if not top 5. With the ending of PSIV, Classic Era's story was considered "finished."

All are available on Switch in some way. AGES for 1 and I think some kinda MegaDrive/Genesis collection for the rest. PSIV is also on the Mega Drive/Genesis Mini if you have it already. The MD/GEN collection on Steam also has "mods," which includes mods for PSII that let you play through fan-translations of the text adventures, which are pretty important to learning much of anything about anyone besides Rolf and Nei.

---------------------

The original Online was massively beloved and can still be played on private servers, but depending on how they're set up they may not be the best for Story content. It's the only way to play the fourth episode though, so that's a shame. If you can't find a good one (or just don't want to), go for the Gamecube version of PSO Episodes 1+2 and then 3 if you're feeling really invested as it wraps eeeeverything up (and actually takes place after Blue Burst's Ep. 4) but is also a completely different genre because they made it a card game for some reason????

Zero on DS is a prequel to Online, but it's a little obtuse in how it fits if you don't already know that.

Universe-era on PS2 and PSP is skippable because most of it's in Japanese only afaik. Worth a go if you're curious, but it might be a pain and is its own contained... universe, story-wise.

PSO2, in spite of being "Online 2," is also its own contained universe that takes lots of bits from different incarnations of PS and runs with them. Though it does also call back to the original Online in a LOT of ways you may only pick up if you played it. You can basically just download it and play now since it's F2P and has 8 years worth of content.

PSO2 New Genesis is a direct continuation of classic PSO2 and runs from the same client/lets you use the same character, but it's... very early and has basically nothing to do. Will probably get really going in a year or two, like PSO2 did.

(edited in a few small additional details)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Another topic- do you guys think Ultimate will get a "complete edition" re-release later down the line? Like all DLC included and maybe a few more bonuses?
Yes.
There are only two logical options for the next Smash (and I'm open to that being expanded- but I havnt heard a business-intelligent argument that counters this POV, as much as I've just heard wishful thinking from the naive).

1) A huge departure from what Smash already is (because not getting as many characters is illogical- both in terms of it inherently being subpar, and also because, even with cutting a lot of characters, it doesn't mean we would get just as many back).

2) An ultimate edition of Ultimate- with new content, the rollback netcode Sakurai was working to develop, and time to work on more of the requests that other companies have put forth. Sakurai gets a break, the new game is released without DLC totalling more than the base game (which another Fighters Pass would do), and the world is happy. For this to happen, Nintendo would have needed the foresight to negotiate these third parties with a future game included (as they must have done with Sm4sh for Ultiamte).

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I have a new theory for the final character.

You know how, when it comes to first party characters as the final character, we’re unsure whether they might represent older games on the Switch like Xenoblade 2 or ARMS, or whether they’ll repressnt a game that is coming out later.

Well, why choose? With Sandwich Theory, you can have both! For this theory, we’re looking for games that had both a release around when they started deciding Fighter’s Pass 2, as well as a game in development that Sakurai could’ve asked Nintendo about. This way, even if the new release would go haywire or would be on the unsafe side, the character could still stand on its own thanks to its legacy or the game that released around 2017!

Examples include a Splatoon character for both Splatoon 2 and Splatoon 3, Paper Mario for both Color Splash and Origami King, Rabbids for both Kingdom Battle and Sparks of Hope, a Zelda fighter for Breath of the Wild, Age of Calamity and Breath of the Wild sequel and possibly a Kirby and DK fighter for Star Allies and DK Tropical Freeze and their rumoured new games!

A new game on the horizon that can get its first waves with a Smash fighter’s hype, with the content and exact proof-of-concept of an older game, and a Smash fighter sandwiched in the middle. Sandwich Theory!
Some can even pull what I call the BLT DLC sandwich! If the game’s gotten DLC in the rough timeframe 2017-2018 and you think “man, that kept the game relevant but not relevant enough to really go back to that game for a Smash fighter”, then the sweet sweet combination of Base Game - DLC - Smash Fighter - Sequel can make for a fullfilling sandwich!

Splatoon 2 - Octo Expansion - Off The Hook - Splatoon 3? Sandwich!
Kingdom Battle - DK Expansion Pack - Rabbid Peach - Sparks of Hope? Sandwich!
Breath of the Wild - Age of Calamity + DLC - Master Cycle Zelda - Breath of the Wild Sequel? Sandwich!
Kirby Star Allies - Kirby Fughters 2 - Bandana Dee - Rumoured Kirby game? Sandwich!

None of the elements in and of themselves might not have the right timing to be a catalyst, but the base of the old with the prescient knowledge of the new, combined with the filling of the DLC updates and you got yourself a timeframe sandwich perfect for during those long negotiations and planning stages :4pacman:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Not really. That’s just bogus logic.

level 5 are important to Nintendo because Nintendo publishes all the Layton games and level 5 have their own section on the Nintendo website which the only other 3rd party company to have 1 slot on there is capcom.

Yet you don’t see them with any content in smash. You see how bogus that whole statement is. That’s just arrogance on your half. Not every 3rd party company that has ties to Nintendo has to get content.

have you ever stopped and wonder that maybe atlus and Nintendo just don’t wanna add any SMT content??? Atlus made it pretty clear when they threw sakurai under the bus that sakurai came to them specifically for persona content and nothing else. Didn’t even bat an eye at SMT content.

SMT could Pretty well get content but dude, you act like you’re a god and we should worship you. You act like you’re sakurai and that you know exactly what sakurai and Nintendo chose. It gets tiresome
The lack of Professor Layton stuff is because of Level 5. There is literally no reason for the lack of SMT stuff with Persona and TMS in there, specifically the lack of Nocturne stuff.

Thinking that Nintendo and/or Atlus don’t want SMT stuff in Smash is beyond dumb. SMT is still and forever will be Atlus’ flagship series.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Klonoa would be my choice.

Klonoa_(Character)_image.png

He's like the Sonic character we never got. To me he's like the Player 2 to Pac-Man and he's even got the Pac-Man hat. He would be a pretty unusual grappler type character with his ring. Besides it'd be hilarious if they made every character bloat up like balloons, Imagine grabbing Yoshi and making him look like fat Yoshi.

Screen_Shot_2018-04-24_at_1.33.44_PM.png

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The lack of Professor Layton stuff is because of Level 5. There is literally no reason for the lack of SMT stuff with Persona and TMS in there, specifically the lack of Nocturne stuff.

Thinking that Nintendo and/or Atlus don’t want SMT stuff in Smash is beyond dumb. SMT is still and forever will be Atlus’ flagship series.
Nintendo often makes 'dumb' decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom