• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
I REALLY doubt he does. He delayed Brawl just to get Sonic in.

If there's no 2nd Sonic character, it's just because Nintendo didn't want one for whatever reason.
With the Blue Blur I suspect its more likely that Nintendo believes that there's enough of a crossover audience between Sonic and various first party games already that they look at Sonic and determine "Eh, good enough."
According to what is said in the video, Sega seems to be really picky about how other companies design Sonic.
The “problem” with Sonic’s other characters like Tails or Knuckles it that they would be somewhat similar to sonic moveset. In the 2D games, aside from an ability their movement (and speed also? Need to replay Sonic Mania) are very similar. Maybe Sakurai’s team is not interested on adding a “semi-echo” of Sonic.

Though, I can see them adding Dr.Eggman as a playable character or boss in a future installment. He is very iconic villain (top 5 imo with bowser and sephiroth)

The fact that they haven't changed Sonic's moveset a lot, despite him having been part of three base games now, does kinda point to this being the case - if Sakurai and co. felt the need to change things around, chances are pretty good that the moveset would not have been the only aspect changed. There's an imperfect contrast* to be made with Pit and Bowser here, who did get not only a moveset shake-up but also newcomers related to them in Smash 4.

Now I'm not entirely sure if that's the only reason for the shakeup, or if mechanical stuff also contributed to them, but I wouldn't be surprised with the latter answer. Pit's old Up B could do some really silly things, such as camping the edge like :metaknight: (back when edge invincibility was still refreshed constantly - planking in Melee and Brawl is why they removed it and edgehogging in Smash 4) or even wavedash. Oh and Brawl Pit could be a surprisingly technical character, so I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to streamline him since new players coming in would know him primarily from KI Uprising, where he can be an allrounder effectively. Bowser meanwhile was reworked to help any reliability issues and define his strengths properly - I'm pretty sure that Sakurai's eyes widened when he saw Brawl Bowser players do stuff like infinite double jumps (by timing a Side B glitch granted, but still) and grab release shenaningas. In particular, Sakurai made a point to reduce Bowser's endlag in 4 and give him the Tough Guy armor (which Ultimate buffed further, suggesting this is the playstyle he wants with Bowser).

They took a different tact with Sonic despite him being considered okay in Brawl - like Pit was. They kept Sonic's moveset mostly intact and buffed it heavily like they did with Mario (who struggled in Brawl) in the transition to 4 - with the nerfs being primarily given to his Final Smash. Yeah, that's understandable. The most major change gameplay-wise in Ultimate is that Sonic can no longer shield-cancel Spin Dash nor hold it forever (instead releasing after two seconds). That suggests to me that Sakurai and co. are either A) overall content with the direction they took, or B) constrained by SEGA's requests on how to design him.

FWIW, Sonic has seen less reliance on the Spin as a way of attacking. Dash Attack no longer involves the Spin, nor does Down Smash - which suggests that changes can be made, question is how much. And TBF, Ultimate tuned Sonic into a much more aggresive direction than his Brawl / 4 counterparts by buffing his tilts / smashes (mostly), improving most of his aerials and toning down Spin Dash / Spin Charge.

*(It's imperfect since the other two are first party and Pit was the main character of KI Uprising, but still. And yes, I'm confident he or his team saw that - not only was Brawl's changes intentional, but Brawl also had a very active Japanese scene. A couple of Ultimate's playtesters, like 9B and Earth, are Brawl veterans - with the latter being a Brawl Pit main.)

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe that I came back to the website a few days ago after taking a break from it, only to be greeted with the strangest few days I've seen here. It's been... interesting?

I'm not going to add to any discussions, since that would just be restarting old arguments, but if you guys can't at least be civil when talking about a childrens' party game, then just don't talk about it at all.

This website (or at least the 3 threads I actually got on) is usually pretty cool, and is somewhere I enjoy talking to people. But when it gets really toxic like it has been recently, I just don't want to use the site, since it seems like more stress than it's worth.

Anyway, I'm tired so I guess I should sleep. Hopefully the thread doesn't get locked again overnight or something.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I can't believe that I came back to the website a few days ago after taking a break from it, only to be greeted with the strangest few days I've seen here. It's been... interesting?

I'm not going to add to any discussions, since that would just be restarting old arguments, but if you guys can't at least be civil when talking about a childrens' party game, then just don't talk about it at all.

This website (or at least the 3 threads I actually got on) is usually pretty cool, and is somewhere I enjoy talking to people. But when it gets really toxic like it has been recently, I just don't want to use the site, since it seems like more stress than it's worth.

Anyway, I'm tired so I guess I should sleep. Hopefully the thread doesn't get locked again overnight or something.
You are right. I have said some things, but knowing how bad things get, I try not to say much. I don't like these kinds of behavior and kinds of talk myself.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
YEEEESS, SAAMMEE. That moveset is too dang good just to keep exclusive to Legacy XP. I'll admit, Sephiroth did kind of fill that gap for awhile, at least for me, but it only made me want a mage Ganon more lmao.
I've been playing PMEX, and he's there too (skinned over Phantom Ganon). Easily one of the most fun original characters to brawl modding.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
I think it says a lot that sonic doesn’t have much different colors for his alt you can’t tell me they wouldn’t have colors based on shadow,tails, knuckles and silver or even a metal sonic echo if they were able to

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think it says a lot that sonic doesn’t have much different colors for his alt you can’t tell me they wouldn’t have colors based on shadow,tails, knuckles and silver or even a metal sonic echo if they were able to
I mean heck, he doesn't even get a Super Sonic alt and he's allowed to assume the form within the game. I mean yeah having a pallet swap the same color as a powered up state can be an issue, but are people really going to confuse the current implementation of his Final Smash with a character that's doing normal stuff?

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I kind of agree.

I love 3rd party additions but Smash and its love of Nintendo history made me a huge Nintendo nerd so I'm always up for new Nintendo characters and wish there were more.

Min Min and Pyra/Mythra were very exciting to me in FP2 because of it. Min Min especially because she brought a brand new IP with her.

ARMS is dope and so are many other Nintendo franchises without characters. Heck I'd probably dig a Style Savvy character because it's a part of Nintendo history.
I’m right there with you.

Heck look at what Smash did for Pit. Sakurai took a dead character from a dead franchise and breathed new life into him and designed him as if he never missed a step and grew up along the way like Link or DK or Samus did.

Ever since I’ve found myself hoping another forgotten character will get the same treatment. Mach Rider, Takamaru, Mike Jones - there are definitely available options. Wishful thinking goes on

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm personally really hoping for Big Final Destination which is just Final Destination with a single platform in the middle.
So just...hazards off Smashville, but longer?

It just so happens to be 5 mins before the Spirit Event announcement 🤔
Maybe they're adding more Spirit Events to the game.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
So just...hazards off Smashville, but longer?

Maybe they're adding more Spirit Events to the game.
Would actually be a sick idea that. Gets to the 2:00 and they announce 10 new spirits from 10 new franchises with nothing in smash at all yet.

never gonna happen but would be a sick idea

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looking at upcoming games, could we figure out when the final character could be?

For example the Gen 4 remakes come out in the middle of November, Warioware comes out early next month and the spookiest game of all comes out in Late October, Mario Party.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Here's Travis Touchdown's spirit event.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
So 30 minutes from now?

Well, it's either absolutely nothing

Or a baby patch like Small Battlefield.

Hell, Small Battlefield launched in August last year.
Nintendo likes to drop random stuff in-between releases, too, and they have nothing super major until Metroid atm.

WarioWare is a thing, yeah, but as much as I adore it, it's a 2nd tier release, lol. I wouldn't be all too surprised of Smash or Animal Crossing got a small snack of an update to give people something to talk about over the next two weeks until inevitable Direct.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Yooooo, took em long enough. Its not a fighter, but I’ll take it. Probably gonna have that costume swap thing for those of us with the Travis costume.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

On one hand, they're finally not late this week which is nice.

On the other hand, I am once again reminded that Travis won't be playable and now I'm sad.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Yoo, looking clean!

When's the Undertale, Assassin's Creed and Devil May Cry ones? :4pacman: (but kinda not really)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Friendly reminder there’s no Xenoblade DE Spirit Event with Future Connected Shulk, Melia, Kino and Nene

and Tsubasa Oribe and her Carnage Form are still the only Spirits for Tokyo Mirage Sessions. None for Itsuki Aoi, Kiria Kurono, Toma Akagi or the others

I will never stop harping on these nope

7NATOR

Smash Master
So They had the Maintenance to add in the No More Heroes Spirit Event? I mean I didn't think we needed whole maintenance to do that

Maybe the Maintenance is just for doing maintenance on the online, maybe they fixing something

Perhaps there's something more, but I think this is it for now.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So They had the Maintenance to add in the No More Heroes Spirit Event? I mean I didn't think we needed whole maintenance to do that

Maybe the Maintenance is just for doing maintenance on the online, maybe they fixing something

The maintenance is still going on I think.

The initial times posted were in UTC. Converting those to est gives me 8:55 pm and 10:30 pm for the day before.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

YYOO I was chill with the Travis costume but we are actually going to get spirits! That is actually hype.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace

someone needs to start datamining asap they definitely changed something

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Glad to see No More Heroes get some more content! (it would be great to see Travis make it into the next game, no matter how unlikely that might seem) Kind of surprised that they don't have a Shinobu (or Sylvia, or Jeane the cat) spirit in there to make it an even four.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

I still think it might be to fix some sort of glitch that no one's found but the devs thought was dangerous. That or yeah just recalibrating some online stuff.

Man I really want a Spirit Board event for all the other DLC Mii costumes now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom