• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Since Sephiroth was mentioned, there is a Hot take I have

Considering that Sakurai and the Dev Team, along with Nintendo added Character like Sephiroth, along with Characters like Ken and Richter in Base roster, there should be no Merital reason why by the end of this, Sonic is still left being the only character from his Franchise

There's been people that have stated that Sakurai has some type of Agenda against Sonic, due to how the Franchise (and Character) is represented in Smash. While I do get the Complaints, I actually don't agree with this, for now at least. While Sakurai idea of representing Sonic isn't the best in my opinion and others, I think he does showcase love of Sonic in Smash

But Considering how Popular and Iconic the Supporting Cast of Sonic is, the fact they've been requested for Years, the relevance of the Sonic Series, and that Sega loves throwing around Sonic Content in Crossovers, if Sonic is still by himself by the end of FP2, Then this is an issue on the part of Sakurai and the Team or Nintendo, and I will think Sakurai has some sort of Agenda against Sonic, at least in terms of getting a 2nd Character, or that in spite of all the Complications, Nintendo really wanted Nahobino to fit the role Byleth did in FP1

I don't think it would be on the part of Sega like I've seen mentioned as to why Shadow didn't get in as an echo as an example
I REALLY doubt he does. He delayed Brawl just to get Sonic in.

If there's no 2nd Sonic character, it's just because Nintendo didn't want one for whatever reason.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With the Blue Blur I suspect its more likely that Nintendo believes that there's enough of a crossover audience between Sonic and various first party games already that they look at Sonic and determine "Eh, good enough."

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
HOLY ****, IT ALL MAKE SENSE.

WE SOLVED THE PURPLE.
(KaiserNeko Future Trunks voice) PLEASE, NO.

If there's no 2nd Sonic character, it's just because Nintendo didn't want one for whatever reason.
And I think I know why. You see, the thing is…
(proceeds to explain everything that happened in Sonic games from the release of Colors on Console to the release of Forces)
And now the new 2022 game is SEGA’s last chance to prove they can make a good Sonic game.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On the bright side, at least the Mavericks and especially the Robot Masters would be super entertaining due to their sheer chaotic energy.
Speaking of this, while most of the Mavericks are a bit more on the normal side since they're supposed to have some sort of depth (even the one that screams "BURN TO THE GROUND!!!" all the time is supposed to be a tragic figure, albeit written very poorly like the rest of the game), I'd be confident in saying that most of the Robot Masters would be the strongest personalities in Super Smash Bros. if they were ever added.

Even just going off of the games where they have dialogue, you'd have:
  • Cut Man, a naive childlike character who believes everyone else went bad, not him.
    • "I'm gonna stop you Mega Man, and make you good again!"
  • Fire Man, who constantly goes on about the "fire/flames of justice".
    • "By the fire of justice, I am certain you are evil!! Fiiiiiiire!!"
  • Elec Man, who...is Elec Man.
    • "Even if you were to call lightning from the sky with your thunderous voice, you would never pierce my gorgeous heart." (He's talking to Guts Man here, not Mega Man)
  • Time Man, who would tell his opponents how late or early they are when the match starts, and would probably have a thing against the characters that can stop or reverse time.
    • "Oh, joy. By being early, you have given us an extra 0.3 seconds."
  • Grenade Man, who is kind of the canned explosive anarchy archetype, but they also decided to make him a masochist to the point where he laughs everytime he's hit.
    • "That felt good!" (Death quote by the way)
  • Frost Man is on the extreme end of the big strong idiot archetype and I love him for it.
    • "I'll crush you! I'll-...beat you!
  • Block Man is a little angry boi.
    • "I'm gonna knock your block off!!!"
  • Tundra Man is another fabulous flamboyant character.
    • "I'm like a rose...frozen in ice!" (This line is delivered as dramatically as possible)

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
It's a good thing Nintendo/Sakurai don't add characters primarily based on merits.
What do you mean? How do they add in characters then?

This is a hot take? I thought it was pretty well agreed we should have another Sonic character by now.

Though, I doubt it would be because of any bias on Sakurai or Nintendos end. It just doesn’t seem to be at the top of their list is all.

That's the thing, From Nintendo's Point of View, There would barely be a good reason to turn down Another Sonic character. The Supporting Cast of Sonic is not only well known to Gaming, but even to Casuals also, They've been heavily requested characters in the past, Sega seems to be easy on the licensing and focused on Spreading the Sonic Brand, and despite Sonic's lack of consistency, the Series continues to sell well and be relevant. Also While the Success of the movie can't be factored in since the movie came out After FP2 was decided, the fact the series was even getting a movie is an important tidbit

If you look at Nintendo's Youtube Channel, Sonic content tends to be among the Highest Viewed things on the Channel. The Sonic Colors Ultimate Teaser and Sonic in Minecraft DLC is one of the only Recent videos that has 1 Million views, and the Sonic Mania Launch Trailer is actually one of the Highest Viewed trailers

In spite of all of that, I understand that there are other characters that could come to mind, and I don't think Nintendo would see Another Sonic Character as the main priority. From the info we've been getting, the Franchises that seemed to really be the focus of FP2 is Minecraft and Tekken, since Nintendo was mentioned as a main reason for these Franchises getting represented in FP2

I'm just saying that if Sephiroth is any Indication of how Sakurai and Nintendo are directing the pass, It would seem weird for Sonic to still not be complimented. Of course like I said there are other characters. If they want to add in Ryu Hayabusa, they'll do that. If they want Phoenix Wright, they'll do that, but FP2 seems to be on a trend of Going Big or Going Home, and well Sonic is Big, even to this day. Yes

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
With the Blue Blur I suspect its more likely that Nintendo believes that there's enough of a crossover audience between Sonic and various first party games already that they look at Sonic and determine "Eh, good enough."
That’s actually fairly close to the same reason I heard about why Mario wasn’t in the first Sonic All-Stars Racing game. That may actually be the exact case.

Shroob

Sup?
That's the thing, From Nintendo's Point of View, There would barely be a good reason to turn down Another Sonic character.
I mean, there is a perfectly valid reason.

What if they just didn't want to?

What if they primarily focused on getting new 3rd party IPs in?

Like, I'm not a Sonic fan, so consider this heresy, but Sonic... is frankly not lacking in content, at least as opposed to how Final Fantasy was. Sonic has 2(?) stages, 20+ songs, tons of Spirits... and before Sephiroth, we had, 2 songs, 1 stage, 1 spirit.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What do you mean? How do they add in characters then?
With more factors than just merits. I could list them, but that's not really the focus here.

Did it not occur to you that perhaps characters from obscure retro games, games that aren't released yet, or... a Piranha Plant might be in because reasons other than their inclusions were "merited"?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Sonic and snake are their only reps as playable characters who else is alone but didn't come out in Brawl?
Unsure of the wording at the end there, but Pac Man and Terry are also 'alone' in regards to their series, as is Bayo and a handful of the current DLC characters.

I feel like due to Ken, Richter and Seph, people feel like the 3rd parties need to be 'even' to be fair, which, that's not how this works.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sonic and snake are their only reps as playable characters who else is alone but didn't come out in Brawl?
Series with sole reps and games of debut:
  • Super Smash Bros.
    • Yoshi
    • F-Zero
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
    • Ice Climber
    • Game & Watch
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    • WarioWare
    • Metal Gear
    • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Pikmin
    • R.O.B.
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U
    • Mega Man
    • Wii Fit
    • PUNCH-OUT!!
    • PAC-Man
    • Duck Hunt
    • Bayonetta
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    • Splatoon
    • Persona
    • Dragon Quest
    • Banjo-Kazooie
    • Fatal Fury
    • ARMS
    • Minecraft
    • Tekken

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Unsure of the wording at the end there, but Pac Man and Terry are also 'alone' in regards to their series, as is Bayo and a handful of the current DLC characters.

I feel like due to Ken, Richter and Seph, people feel like the 3rd parties need to be 'even' to be fair, which, that's not how this works.
Yeah I was noticing that Sonic and Snake came out in Brawl and still don't have a second character...

And now ok so bayo (also sega) I guess), came out in 4 as did pacman...

So (aside from Idon Idon point about meritology ) that's 4 characters from previous games and iirc snake was literally a gift like when you can shoot Mario in the GC mgs... I guess I'm just narrowing down franchises whose "more deserving" but I feel another mgs character is weak sauce so I'm leaning toward Sonic. We should have another playable sonic character. I suck at Sonic btw.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
for the whole argument about sonic representation, All I wanna say is At least sonic has content in smash.

Us Layton fans have a whole page on the Nintendo character hub website dedicated to us and yet we don’t even have any content in smash.

It’s 1 of the only 2 third party companies on the character hub section, the other being capcom who only have ace attorney on there and they’ve got representation in smash.

You guys have it good. Us Layton fans are suffering in silence.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Series with sole reps and games of debut:
  • Super Smash Bros.
    • Yoshi
    • F-Zero
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
    • Ice Climber
    • Game & Watch
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    • WarioWare
    • Metal Gear
    • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Pikmin
    • R.O.B.
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U
    • Mega Man
    • Wii Fit
    • PUNCH-OUT!!
    • PAC-Man
    • Duck Hunt
    • Bayonetta
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    • Splatoon
    • Persona
    • Dragon Quest
    • Banjo-Kazooie
    • Fatal Fury
    • ARMS
    • Minecraft
    • Tekken
My n. This is why I fs w u.

So yeah wooow that's way more to think about....

Yoshi

F-Zero ... what a car? Sorry I didn't learn there even were characters in this game until smash because I only played it at the boys and girls club and the Mr Do arcade cab was usually calling me

Ice Climber... The bad guy.

Game & Watch
WarioWare Waluigi (even though I think I read he's not even in the games which ... tracks actually.)
Metal Gear nah
Sonic the Hedgehog Eggman!
Pikmin uh..... Never played seriously too .. lemmings_ish. Not my Poison.

R.O.B.
Mega Man Sure!
Wii Fit
PUNCH-OUT!! Mmmm... Me Dream would be top tier obv

PAC-Man
Duck Hunt

Bayonetta ummm couldn't get into it the only games like this I've liked are many... Just not this one.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Edit: I believe all these franchises could get another rep but the ones eliminated are for simplicity sake since like Yoshi is a Mario character, r.o.b. is a one off, etc etc.

But out of the remaining ones that are 3rd party Sonic or Bayo? Sega..or .. Sega. So it's like well then none of these will end up being fp11 ...

Plus the whole no one has gotten another character since these were in. So maybe some franchise just get ONE.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's an odd irony with Sonic that some of his games have been accused of being designed to attract players that aren't typically fans of him, while Smash seems to recognize him as so popular/well known to the public that his presence alone is deemed to be enough to get fans to play something like Ultimate. On the surface of it, it almost feels like Nintendo has more confidence in his status than Sega does at times.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I wouldn’t be surprised if the reason we don’t have a 2nd sonic rep is because they’re scared of whoever it is overshadowing sonic and being used more.

the whole reason for them getting rid of playable sonic characters in sonic games was originally because they were overshadowing sonic if I remember rightly.

I wouldn’t be surprised if sega had that same mindset with smash due to how simple sonic is to use and how popular smash bros is. With the right care from sakurai, we’d have a fully unique sonic rep which could scare sega

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't think Sonic is lacking representation at all.

Not a Sonic fan so that might influence my perspective, but besides Sonic's moveset I don't see any glaring problems with it's representation. Yeah you can argue Sonic having 2 Green Hill stages is kinda lame, but the series still has 2 stages. You can argue about the musical selection and that's fair but this is not a FFVII situation before Sephiroth's inclusion, not to say Sonic isn't the only series where fans could also bring the music selection as a lacking aspect of their representation.

I myself have problems with the music selection for Metroid, DK or Street Fighter but the basics are at least covered. That wasn't the case with FFVII.

Also keep in mind Sephiroth was the first time a third party series got 2 unique characters. I don't think we're in a situation where Sonic HAS to get another unique character, like, imperatively speaking. If by the next Smash game all of the third party franchises had 2 unique characters or more, except for Sonic, then I'd totally agree that Sonic not having another character would be really weird.

Not saying Sonic shouldn't get a new unique character, just that I don't feel like it has to happen or otherwise the series "is badly represented".

Personally I'd rather have new series from Sega. And for the record I felt the same way with Square Enix and Final Fantasy despite being a FF nerd.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Can‘t say I’m very outraged at the lack of Sonic characters when 2/3 of the double-dippers are Echo Fighters iirc and making a core Sonic friend an Echo fighter would be its own can of worms entirely. Besides, I’m not sure how the division of Sonic Friends has been in the last few Sonic games but I don’t really see a clear frontrunner for one emerging from recent trends.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You know what I want next Smash?

My ****ing mage Ganondorf, Sakurai. :thedorf: Where is he?

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I think a good perspective to put on 3rd parties is that they are basically the equivalent of guest characters in original IP fighting games. Like uh, Akuma, Geese, Noctis and fricking Negan in Tekken or Baiken in SamSho. They're guests to the party so another unique character getting in would already probably be a special deal seeing as how it's only happened once with Sephiroth joining the fray in Ultimate's DLC.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I wouldn’t be surprised if the reason we don’t have a 2nd sonic rep is because they’re scared of whoever it is overshadowing sonic and being used more.

the whole reason for them getting rid of playable sonic characters in sonic games was originally because they were overshadowing sonic if I remember rightly.

I wouldn’t be surprised if sega had that same mindset with smash due to how simple sonic is to use and how popular smash bros is. With the right care from sakurai, we’d have a fully unique sonic rep which could scare sega
With Sonic, a lot of in hindsight wasn't really about having other characters, or even having them playable; it was that their gameplay so drastically differed from his that a portion of the fanbase resented having to play it. Knuckles/Rouge doing open world treasure hunts or Eggman/Tails in mech shooting stages were tolerated, but by the time Sonic 06 came around and a full playthrough now required using a telekinetic character like Silver who wasn't even fast like Shadow was? People had enough and Sega corrected (arguably overcorrected) via severely reducing the cast's prominence in games after.

Of course the fact that Werehog Sonic got backlash in Unleashed while Tails, Knuckles, Mighty, & Ray were all praised for being in Sonic Mania demonstrates that people were largely fine with Sonic's friends, provided they played like a variation of him rather than feeling like they were in a different game altogether.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's stupid.

I think a good perspective to put on 3rd parties is that they are basically the equivalent of guest characters in original IP fighting games. Like uh, Akuma, Geese, Noctis and fricking Negan in Tekken or Baiken in SamSho. They're guests to the party so another unique character getting in would already probably be a special deal seeing as how it's only happened once with Sephiroth joining the fray in Ultimate's DLC.
Initially yeah, but given that they're such a natural fit (more crossover characters in an anything goes crossover game) and there are so many of them, I'd argue that they're now a core part of the series rather than just guests.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
You know what I want next Smash?

My ****ing mage Ganondorf, Sakurai. :thedorf: Where is he?
YEEEESS, SAAMMEE. That moveset is too dang good just to keep exclusive to Legacy XP. I'll admit, Sephiroth did kind of fill that gap for awhile, at least for me, but it only made me want a mage Ganon more lmao.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You all are so lucky it's not me in the director's chair. :4pacman:
Same here. We'd be seeing picks like Meowth in 64, Scizor and Ayumi Tachibana in Melee, Snivy and Azura in Sm4sh, Shadow and Alph as Sonic and Olimar's respective Echoes, Crash Bandicoot and BWD in base Ultimate and Sora and Phoenix Wright in the DLC (both passes).

7NATOR

Smash Master
I mean, there is a perfectly valid reason.

What if they just didn't want to?

What if they primarily focused on getting new 3rd party IPs in?

Like, I'm not a Sonic fan, so consider this heresy, but Sonic... is frankly not lacking in content, at least as opposed to how Final Fantasy was. Sonic has 2(?) stages, 20+ songs, tons of Spirits... and before Sephiroth, we had, 2 songs, 1 stage, 1 spirit.
I know Nintendo focused primairly on new 3rd Party I.Ps. they were the major reason behind Tekken and Minecraft being in (Not to say Sakurai wasn't down, just that Nintendo was a major push in their Inclusion)

If they didn't just want to add Another Sonic character, that's reasonable. the thing is what would actually be the reason? If they wanted another Character from Another Series, that's one thing, but if we talking just based of the Merits of Another Sonic Character as a whole, It satisfies alot of Nintendo's Interest with the DLC. The biggest con I could give is that Sonic isn't very big in Japan, but even then It has had success there, with the Adventure games as an example, and Japan is still well familiar with Sonic

Also I don't think Another Sonic Character would get in because Sonic is Lacking in Content. While I think the representation itself is not as good as it could be, I think the content Sonic has is actually plenty. The reason I think Another Sonic Character would get in is because of the Characters themselves

Eggman, Tails, Shadow & Knuckles are Popular Iconic characters, that helps make the Sonic Franchise much cooler and more whole. When people talk about wanting another Rep from the Series, it's not just because "We don't want Sonic to be alone", it's majorly because the characters in the supporting cast have Alot of appeal, and people want to see any of these individual characters on the roster

That's also the Major Reason Sephiroth is in. The meat of the Challenger pack is not any of the Supplementary stuff like the Music, Stage, and especially not the Spirit Board. The Lack of Music might have been a cherry on top for why Sephiroth is in the game, but if they had no interest in adding in Sephiroth, we wouldn't have Sephiroth

With more factors than just merits. I could list them, but that's not really the focus here.

Did it not occur to you that perhaps characters from obscure retro games, games that aren't released yet, or... a Piranha Plant might be in because reasons other than their inclusions were "merited"?
There were still merits that still accompanied them though. For one, Base roster and DLC decisions are different from each other. I doubt we would get something like Ice Climbers or Game & Watch as DLC that they expect people to pay additional money for, but as a package in the Base roster, it's better for them, not to say it isn't possible, but I think the odds are more stacked against characters like them than usual due to how DLC Works

Plant was Free pre-order/Early Purchase DLC, they don't treat Plant the same as the other DLC because Plant probably isn't gonna have a similar amount of appeal as the DLC Characters they chose. even then, I believe a reason Plant was chosen as the Surprise character was because of how recognizable he is. It's crazy to say, but Plant is one of the most Iconic characters in the roster

For characters from games that haven't been released (Corrin and Byleth), keep in mind that they don't just do this for any franchise. There's a good reason in Smash 4 they chose Corrin over something like Elma (no hate towards her or Xenoblade Chronicles X). Fire Emblem had been established as an success, while Xenoblade at the time was still unproven Franchise. It's why a Series like Pokemon can get added to Roster plans despite their games coming out, but ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had to wait. Plus the reason these characters get in is because they take the merit of Relevance up to 11, since these are the most relevant Characters can be at the time they are added

While alot of the characters do have Special Circumstances around them, they need to have some sort of Merit to either Nintendo or Sakurai in order for the Circumstances to even matter, and the More challenging a Circumstance is to overcome, the more merits the characters are gonna need, and also vice versa

A Lack of Merits doesn't mean the character is impossible to get in. but there need to be other things in place for them to be able to be added in. Banjo had a major lack of relevance, while be owned by a Rival Company. He still had Merits like large fan appeal and Previous success with Nintendo, but if Phil Spencer wasn't down with the idea, or if Rare perhaps made things Complicated, We might not have Banjo today, and if Banjo did not have the Fan appeal or Previous relevance with Nintendo, I don't think Nintendo or Sakurai would have bothered

In regards to Another Sonic Character, the fact that any combination of Eggman, Tails, Shadow, &/or Knuckles might have more merits than another character doesn't mean that they automatically get in over that other Character, I'll agree with you on that, but it helps, especially since there's no Circumstances holding Another Sonic Character back. This is what I'm trying to say. Tails having more merits than say Beat from Jet Set Radio doesn't automatically mean Tails will 100% be chosen over Beat, Nintendo could still choose Beat anyway. The thing is that in Nintendo's Eyes and interest, they would likely choose Tails over Beat since the merits do matter. Nintendo would rather go Safe rather than Risky, and that's what I'm trying to say here. yes

Shroob

Sup?
I know Nintendo focused primairly on new 3rd Party I.Ps. they were the major reason behind Tekken and Minecraft being in (Not to say Sakurai wasn't down, just that Nintendo was a major push in their Inclusion)

If they didn't just want to add Another Sonic character, that's reasonable. the thing is what would actually be the reason?
We don't know.

But aside from Sephiroth and 2 clones, all the 3rd party additions have been new franchises.

I think that's just the base reason. Will we ever know the full, 100% intention? No, but looking at what we do know, that seems to be the logic.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think the main reason Sonic doesn't get much playable representation in Smash is due to Sega or Sonic Team's control over the series. MattMcMuscle in his Wha Happun with Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric (I trust him 100% because he is a TimeSplitters fan :4pacman: ) explains that Big Red Button had to massively overhaul the game because Sega did not like the stuff that they added like Sonic being able to swim underwater and asked for a lot of changes to be made.

Video automatically plays at 6:05 where the comment is made.

According to what is said in the video, Sega seems to be really picky about how other companies design Sonic.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think the main reason Sonic doesn't get much playable representation in Smash is due to Sega or Sonic Team's control over the series. MattMcMuscle in his Wha Happun with Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric (I trust him 100% because he is a TimeSplitters fan :4pacman: ) explains that Big Red Button had to massively overhaul the game because Sega did not like the stuff that they added like Sonic being able to swim underwater and asked for a lot of changes to be made.

Video automatically plays at 6:05 where the comment is made.

According to what is said in the video, Sega seems to be really picky about how other companies design Sonic.
And if you want to know how inconsistent the company is about this, keep in mind that four years prior in Sonic Colors, for underwater sections Sonic has the ability to infinitely do his double jump. In other words.... swim.

But it wouldn't be Sega if its left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
The “problem” with Sonic’s other characters like Tails or Knuckles it that they would be somewhat similar to sonic moveset. In the 2D games, aside from an ability their movement (and speed also? Need to replay Sonic Mania) are very similar. Maybe Sakurai’s team is not interested on adding a “semi-echo” of Sonic.

Though, I can see them adding Dr.Eggman as a playable character or boss in a future installment. He is very iconic villain (top 5 imo with bowser and sephiroth)

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
The “problem” with Sonic’s other characters like Tails or Knuckles it that they would be somewhat similar to sonic moveset. In the 2D games, aside from an ability their movement (and speed also? Need to replay Sonic Mania) are very similar. Maybe Sakurai’s team is not interested on adding a “semi-echo” of Sonic.
bro all 3 of them have completely different abilities, never understood why people insist that all sonic characters have to be clones of sonic lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom