• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
At this point I'm honestly not expecting Chorus Kids or Mach Ride.

Geno is a Mii and Isaac and Shadow are assists. The closest I see to those so-called promotions people keep saying is the Bomberman Mii which looks exactly like the character itself otherwise why make that a costume and not an actual promoted character?
Premium costumes are kinda painful, seeing a character get so close to getting in as an actual fighter only to fall short. I love how the Bomberman costume looks so good but I hate how there isn't really any moveset variants with the Mii Brawler that really capture the essence of how Bomberman would play. The shotput I guess comes close to throwing bombs but it doesn't quite do it. Then again, I can see why Sakurai probably decided not to make Bomberman a full fledged fighter since pretty much his whole canonical fighting style revolves around just setting, throwing or kicking bombs around. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
That poll and this image here is a funny little insight into a pre-Cloud world.

As you can see, the mindset was that the frontrunners for newcomers were mostly Nintendo characters and Nintendo-associated third parties, like Shovel Knight and Shantae and what not.

Cloud, for better or worse depending on your viewpoint on this sort of thing, pretty much changed the game. That's kinda when people began going crazy over all these other big third party characters like Master Chief, Dantae, Crash, Doomguy, etc. And unfortunately a lot of the first parties got lost in the fold. Chronobound did a great write up about this in the Dixie thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/dix...-out-dkc3-today.446464/page-303#post-24213384

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

As you can see, the mindset was that the frontrunners for newcomers were mostly Nintendo characters and Nintendo-associated third parties, like Shovel Knight and Shantae and what not.

Cloud, for better or worse depending on your viewpoint on this sort of thing, pretty much changed the game. That's kinda when people began going crazy over all these other big third party characters like Master Chief, Dantae, Crash, Doomguy, etc. And unfortunately a lot of the first parties got lost in the fold. Chronobound did a great write up about this in the Dixie thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/dix...-out-dkc3-today.446464/page-303#post-24213384
I'm actually kinda surprised they listed Klonoa, of all characters, over Lloyd. I kinda thought he had a bigger following back then.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Daruina
Hawlucha
Machamp
Fi
Rick
Doshin the ****in' Giant
Excuse you, sir, it's Kamek
FF:CC team
Plok
Yeesh, this is a pre-Cloud world alright.

Also, here are some characters on this list that did appear in Ultimate in one way or another:
  • King K. Rool: Fighter
  • Inkling: Fighter
  • Krystal: Assist Trophy
  • Ridley: Fighter
  • Isabelle: Fighter
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Fighter
  • Bomberman: Assist Trophy
  • Bayonetta: Fighter
  • Simon: Fighter
  • Shovel Knight: Assist Trophy
  • Knuckles: Assist Trophy

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
The closest I see to those so-called promotions people keep saying is the Bomberman Mii which looks exactly like the character itself otherwise why make that a costume and not an actual promoted character?
Because maybe Sakurai and gang treat each of the potential AT additions like everyone else as individual characters, each with their own merits, and not some one-size-fits-all criteria? And Bomberman in particular being mii'd means Bomberman isn't making it in and not every character that's an assist?

Development time is limited, especially with DLC. They can't just magically cram in 30 characters there on a whim, and sometimes they either just can't figure out a character or they're outprioritized. With those two points in mind, not only implying they could have just magically made Bomberman a character if they felt like it (which they probably couldn't manage to if he got Mii'd in the first place), but then twisting his costume into somehow meaning every AT is off the table, despite most of them having nothing to do with Bomberman besides their status in Smash Ultimate, is quite frankly (and pardon the rudeness here) one of the single most nonsensical things I've recently read on this board.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Still russles my jimmies when people label Geno as a first party character, like in that image.

Yeah yeah, I know he's a Mario character, but he's still owned by another company, effectively making him third party.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice

My guy Wonder-Red still hasn't even gotten a Mii Brawler costume. He's the right proportions for it to look good and everything. Sigh.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I'm surprised Lanky managed to even get that high when his competition was K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky, Funky, a bunch of other more popular Nintendo characters, and 3rd party characters. Lanky scored much higher than I expected in this fan poll.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

It's been how many years, and this is the first time I've ever looked at this image and noticed freaking Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Team there. I'm shocked honestly.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If we're rereminiscing on Brawl era speculation, here's a little interesting analysis: how many characters from Sakurai's old poll from the Brawl era made it into Ultimate?

King Dedede(5) -CONFIRMED
Diddy Kong(4) - CONFIRMED

Geno(4) – Mii outfit
Ike(4) - CONFIRMED
Ridley(4) - CONFIRMED
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3) - CONFIRMED

Krystal(3) – Assist Trophy
Takamaru(3) – Assist Trophy
Windwaker Link(3) - CONFIRMED
Animal Crossing MC(2) - CONFIRMED

Claus(2) – Spirit
DeMille(2) - Spirit
Isaac(2) – Assist Trophy
Jeff(2) – Assist Trophy
Kawasima(2) – Assist Trophy
King K.Rool(2) - CONFIRMED
Lip(2) – Mii outfit
Lucas(2) -CONFIRMED
Mega Man(2) - CONFIRMED

Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2) - Spirit
Sukapon(2) – Assist Trophy

Stats:

About 10 characters on this list made it to playable status:
:ultkingdedede::ultdiddy::ultridley::ultike::ultolimar::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultkrool::ultlucas::ultmegaman:

About six characters on this list (Krystal, Takamaru, Isaac, Jeff, Kawashima, and Sukapon) made it to assist trophy status.

About two characters (Geno and Lip) made it to Mii outfit status.

About three characters (Ouendan, DeMille, and Claus) made it to spirit status.

So the only character on this poll that's currently not in Smash in any shape or form is this..."Oguma" fellow.

I looked into it, and apparently it's supposed to be this random FE supporting character...?

For a second, I thought Ogma was in as a Spirit, especially since his buddies, Barst, Bord and Cord are a Spirit in Smash. I'm surprised, considering he's one of the more notable Shadow Dragon characters. And for a second, I double-taked at Sheeda for a moment until I remembered that it was talking about Caeda, as Sheeda is Caeda's translated name, and not about Sheena.

That being said, some of the choices make me smile, like Ray 01, G-Red, Princess Katia, Kalas, the Ouendan Squad, Tetra, etc.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I highly, highly recommend playing the OG as well. Many would say some aspects haven’t aged well but I think they have esp for a game of its time.
Seconding this. I played the OG for the first time last year & it became one of my favorite games ever. Remake part 1 was amazing too.

I wasn’t as heavy into speculation back then. But I was definitely in the “realistic expectations” camp who only thought that Nintendo characters & those heavily associated with them were viable. Phoenix Wright & Dillon were two of my most wanted characters back then & now they’re waaaay lower lol

I do find it funny how characters like Leon weren’t really talked about much back then. Despite Resident Evil having a pretty strong history with Nintendo. I’m pretty sure there’s been more Nintendo exclusive RE games than PS exclusive.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Seconding this. I played the OG for the first time last year & it became one of my favorite games ever. Remake part 1 was amazing too.

I wasn’t as heavy into speculation back then. But I was definitely in the “realistic expectations” camp who only thought that Nintendo characters & those heavily associated with them were viable. Phoenix Wright & Dillon were two of my most wanted characters back then & now they’re waaaay lower lol

I do find it funny how characters like Leon weren’t really talked about much back then. Despite Resident Evil having a pretty strong history with Nintendo. I’m pretty sure there’s been more Nintendo exclusive RE games than PS exclusive.
I believe I heard that they assumed companies could only get one fighter, and that Mega Man was extremely popular. He probably had a hegemony over the Capcom discussion up until he was revealed at E3.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
My guess is that at the time a lot of people thought Resident Evil had too much adult content to make it. Remember, that was made before Bayonetta got in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Chronobound did a write up about his work in the Krystal Thread. There was a lot of mourning on the Social Thread at the time when he passed away.
If only Shorts was alive today to see Ultimate. Hell, I bet the Krystal fanbase would have been on better ground right now if Shorts was still alive even after the Assist Trophy was announced. We lost a great leader and comrade within Shorts' passing.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

It was Brad Venable. This guy has had roles in Games like Demon Souls and FF7R. His perhaps Most Recent Notable role was playing Griffon in DMC5 (the Electric Chicken in the game)
RIP :(

I don't think that the Persona 5 event in Dragalia lost means a lot for Smash. Persona 5 has done so many crossover that at this point it's not that surprising. They crossover with Bang dream¸ Granblue fantasy, AFK arena, Star ocean, Another eden. They also appear in many Sega ip like Sonic forces, Catherine and Phantasy star online.
The list of games where Joker has appeared in some form is pretty big at this point. Actually, this came up today lmao:

I highly, highly recommend playing the OG as well. Many would say some aspects haven’t aged well but I think they have esp for a game of its time.
Yeah, same. Obviously it has aged in some aspects but it is still a memorable game and a must play for anyone who likes the genre. FFVII's universe, lore and characters are fantastic. It's really fun, combat is cool and the music is super iconic. Tons of side content, and in general it has a very unique art and universe.

Actually, I'd say in order to fully enjoy the FFVII Remake playing the OG it's essentially mandatory, and not only to appreciate how they have recreated the locations or events of the original game.

Staarih

Smash Master

As much as I support Isaac, I just can't with the misspelled "Issac" in polls, lists etc like these. If he's considered a front runner, the actual spelling of his name ought to be known haha.
Such a pet peeve of mine.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Yeesh, this is a pre-Cloud world alright.

Also, here are some characters on this list that did appear in Ultimate in one way or another:
  • King K. Rool: Fighter
  • Inkling: Fighter
  • Krystal: Assist Trophy
  • Ridley: Fighter
  • Isabelle: Fighter
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Fighter
  • Bomberman: Assist Trophy
  • Bayonetta: Fighter
  • Simon: Fighter
  • Shovel Knight: Assist Trophy
  • Knuckles: Assist Trophy
Porky: Boss in Brawl, trophy in Smash 4, literally nowhere (ha) in Ultimate. And if he’s in the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit, that is a very understanding yet disappointing gag. Not funny, didn’t laugh.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I largely tapped out for smash 4 discussion because it got pretty eh in terms of characters. I got villager and shulk, and then as DLC cloud and bayonetta, those were really the only ones that wowed me (mostly because I was surprised villager didn't get in in brawl). compared to ultimate or brawl 4 seemed like such a step back newcomer wise.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman

WOW this image brings me back :')
At the time I was so confident on Professor Layton's chances to appear......look where we are now lol
At the time I was 10000% a Nintendo boy, meaning I barely played any third party game (apart from Spyro, Professor Layton, Rayman to name a few, took me until the Switch came out to actually spread out my video game knowledge to new horizons, though Smash 4 speculation heavily helped me get to that point), and like many other people I mostly wanted Nintendo characters to appear as dlc
I was also very confident from the speculation back then that K Rool would be the winner of the ballot (which I still believe he might've been given that he's in Ultimate now), and that Shantae, Shovel Knight and all the Wonderful 101s would get in as well (also Fantasy Life characters for some reason lmao)
Now I've pretty much shifted to "please put as many third party characters in I want this crossover to be as crazy as it can get, MUGEN TIME BABY" :p

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
inb4 Rex gets Mii costumed again but with his Master Driver outfit this time :4pacman:
Aaaaaaaand you’ve jinxed it.

speaking of jinxing I remember when someone said pre Steve presentation “as long as Travis doesn’t appear in the mii segment he’s got a chance”. AND SURELY ENOUGH...

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

In terms of frontrunners did people back then seriously believe that doshin or lineback were frontrunners?, I was around for brawl and around for ultimate, this is by far the most ridiculous list I've seen.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Wow, Black Shadow actually made it to the frontrunners. Color me impressed

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
The whole idea of the 3rd parties having to be heavily Nintendo-associated always struck me as weird considering Smash's debut 3rd party character was the heavily Sony-associated Snake. Metal Gear wasn't completely absent from Nintendo, sure, but it was (and still is) substantially more of a PlayStation series.

Heck, Snake's reveal trailer back at E3 2006 was styled like a codec call from MGS2 - a game which has never been on a Nintendo system.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The whole idea of the 3rd parties having to be heavily Nintendo-associated always struck me as weird considering Smash's debut 3rd party character was the heavily Sony-associated Snake. Metal Gear wasn't completely absent from Nintendo, sure, but it was (and still is) substantially more of a PlayStation series.

Heck, Snake's reveal trailer back at E3 2006 was styled like a codec call from MGS2 - a game which has never been on a Nintendo system.
A lot of people back then saw him as an "exception" due to Kojima's close relationship with Sakurai, which was affirmed, in their eyes, when Snake was removed from Smash 4. This was also around the time Kojima left Konami. It really wasn't until Cloud and later Joker that the pendulum began to shift.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Keep in mind...Snake got cut the very next game.

People rationalized it as him "having nothing to do with Nintendo" and was only put in Brawl as a favor towards Kojima or whatever. Like this was basically the mentality most Snake detractors had back then.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

People rationalized it as him "having nothing to do with Nintendo" and was only put in Brawl as a favor towards Kojima or whatever. Like this was basically the mentality most Snake detractors had back then.

I think that was more to do with the debacle between Kojima and Konami.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

It's kinda ironic to say indies were a huge part of Nintendo's history when Nintendo (and Reggie) actively gave indie games a middle finger during the early 2010s because they didn't consider most indie devs to be real game developers, and only opened up to the idea a whole year after the Wii U's initial flop, years after Sony and Microsoft did the same.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's kinda ironic to say indies were a huge part of Nintendo's history when Nintendo (and Reggie) actively gave indie games a middle finger during the early 2010s because they didn't consider most indie devs to be real game developers, and only opened up to the idea a whole year after the Wii U's initial flop, years after Sony and Microsoft did the same.
And that becomes ironic when you consider the Switch's reputation as the indie machine. Oh, how the turn tables.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman

For some reason, Rick doesn't strike me as a frontrunner. Did he have some following I wasn't aware of back then, or is he creator bias?

You know, in hindsight a number of these characters don't seem all that plausible. But this still makes me nostalgic for simpler, less hype-centric inclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom