• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
not necessarily. Horizon Zero Dawn’s first trailer was age restricted back in the day. That game is rated T.
And the Fall Guys/Doom crossover is also available for everyone to watch. It's at the very least, an imperfect system. It's also a stupid system but that's neither here nor there.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Looking at this pic, something just hit me. Could we get another Microsoft rep in this pass?
View attachment 298643
There's no proof that the maximum amount of characters per company is going to be three, but if that's the case, maybe we could get another one from Microsoft.

One of those three maybe?...

View attachment 298644
There’s no indication that there is any interest in making companies have “equal” playable characters.

If that were to be the case, it would suggest we would get 1 Microsoft Character, 2 Namco characters, and 2 SNK picks, within the next 3 packs.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just saw a tournament video. The characters? :ultlittlemac: Vs. :ultminmin

Yeah I've wondered how X character wins a matchup before but this is the first time I just flat out thought "oh I am so sorry". The fact that Little Mac even took a game is miraculous.

There's no proof that the maximum amount of characters per company is going to be three, but if that's the case, maybe we could get another one from Microsoft.
It's not the case. That would be such an arbitrary restriction.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Looking at this pic, something just hit me. Could we get another Microsoft rep in this pass?
View attachment 298643

View attachment 298644
Well, if there's going to be another Microsoft character it's the Chief. They wouldn't pick anyone else.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
View attachment 298643

View attachment 298644
I don’t see it. This list doesn’t take echo fighters or timing into account.

We need to consider Motive for things. What motive does Nintendo have for stretching each 3rd party except Two into three characters?

This seems like Nintendos rounding out to a fixed point until they change their mind, not a goal they’re trying to hit.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Yeah I've wondered how X character wins a matchup before but this is the first time I just flat out thought "oh I am so sorry". The fact that Little Mac even took a game is miraculous.

That's Mac in every match up to be fair

SharkLord

Smash Hero
View attachment 298643

View attachment 298644
Well...
Banjo was revealed at E3...
And based on timing, Steve was probably an E3 reveal as well...

MICROSOFT E3 THEORY BOYS!

:4pacman:

Last edited:

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 298643

View attachment 298644
We could also get two Namco characters :4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, if there's going to be another Microsoft character it's the Chief. They wouldn't pick anyone else.
This is the logic stated right before we get literally anyone else. Master Chief may be the biggest contender, but it's not impossible for them to go for someone else first, especially in the next game when Bethesda characters count as Microsoft ones.

That's Mac in every match up to be fair
True, but at least the other matchups have some semblance of winability. Min Min's just like "The ground is closed today. Sorry Little Mac".

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I don't really get the whole "equal character amount for each third party" thing.

Like I can think of many other great options for the likes of Sega and Capcom, that prohibiting any of em just cuz "they already have three, and other companies get an equal slice of the pie" just feels like a bit of a disservice.

Third party characters are typically added by their own merits, rather than to be a rep of their company. The only two exceptions I can think of in that regard are maaaybe Pac-Man and Terry, but even then those two definitely had their own merits on top of it all.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
There was a first party roster going around, and while i like the premise it was bloated to the point that i think the message was lost (Master of Disguise Wario will not make anyone hype). Here's a more concise list of 30 cool first parties.
View attachment 298637
maybe swap Starfy for DK Jr.
I'm going to sound hypocritical for saying this, but I really wish that Nintendo did cover all of their first-party franchises more in terms of the roster throughout Smash's history. Whether you love or hate her on a technical level, Min-Min was such an exciting addition for me not because I loved the game, but because it was a new franchise being added to the roster. Same with Villager, Shulk, and honestly even WFT in Smash 4. I remember really popping off seeing Olimar in Brawl because he felt like the brand new kid on the block, even though his game was released 7 years prior.

In retrospect - and I'm being unbiased here - it really is frustrating that they didn't (or couldn't) add a Golden Sun, Rythm Heaven, Advance Wars, or Custom Robo rep back in the Brawl days or even Smash 4.

And that's the infuriating reality about character development: it takes so much time that semi-modern characters are oftentimes overlooked for either much older legacy picks or brand-spanking-new promotional ones.

Which is a shame because I really feel like Ring Fit Adventurer's moveset would translate incredibly to Smash. So would Akira Howard. I'm sure by E3 they'll announce another new title with a character that would look like a great fit. But due to just plain ol' bad timing, they're missing the boat right at the height of their relevancy, just like Issac, Ray Mk III, Chorus Kids, etc.

Again, what's paradoxical about Ultimate having such a huge, celebratory, downright historic roster is that, the bigger it gets, the easier it becomes for our brains to start finding glaring omissions.

I think it's super telling that Sakurai specified how development of Sephiroth started before he had the chance to really get a look at him in ReMake. I know third-parties don't have to provide this, but I always found it an odd choice for Squeenix to not provide Sora Ltd. with at least a few teensy details about Sephiroth in that game so that he could be represented in the best possible way.

So (and I know this isn't exactly the hottest of takes, but I don't really check here often) I think we should be looking at which third-party franchises were most relevant, interesting, talked about, or promoted back in 2019 instead of assuming third-parties would divulge info about future projects to Nintendo just for Smash.

Any potential first-party characters, of course, would be the opposite of that. Which future game would Nintendo peg in '19 to be a runaway success (or in dire need of promotion) by 2021?

...so yeah, a Pokemon.:4pacman:

I'll be hypocritical again and admit that I kinda miss base roster speculation haha.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to sound hypocritical for saying this, but I really wish that Nintendo did cover all of their first-party franchises more in terms of the roster throughout Smash's history. Whether you love or hate her on a technical level, Min-Min was such an exciting addition for me not because I loved the game, but because it was a new franchise being added to the roster. Same with Villager, Shulk, and honestly even WFT in Smash 4. I remember really popping off seeing Olimar in Brawl because he felt like the brand new kid on the block, even though his game was released 7 years prior.

In retrospect - and I'm being unbiased here - it really is frustrating that they didn't (or couldn't) add a Golden Sun, Rythm Heaven, Advance Wars, or Custom Robo rep back in the Brawl days or even Smash 4.

And that's the infuriating reality about character development: it takes so much time that semi-modern characters are oftentimes overlooked for either much older legacy picks or brand-spanking-new promotional ones.

Which is a shame because I really feel like Ring Fit Adventurer's moveset would translate incredibly to Smash. So would Akira Howard. I'm sure by E3 they'll announce another new title with a character that would look like a great fit. But due to just plain ol' bad timing, they're missing the boat right at the height of their relevancy, just like Issac, Ray Mk III, Chorus Kids, etc.

Again, what's paradoxical about Ultimate having such a huge, celebratory, downright historic roster is that, the bigger it gets, the easier it becomes for our brains to start finding glaring omissions.

I think it's super telling that Sakurai specified how development of Sephiroth started before he had the chance to really get a look at him in ReMake. I know third-parties don't have to provide this, but I always found it an odd choice for Squeenix to not provide Sora Ltd. with at least a few teensy details about Sephiroth in that game so that he could be represented in the best possible way.

So (and I know this isn't exactly the hottest of takes, but I don't really check here often) I think we should be looking at which third-party franchises were most relevant, interesting, talked about, or promoted back in 2019 instead of assuming third-parties would divulge info about future projects to Nintendo just for Smash.

Any potential first-party characters, of course, would be the opposite of that. Which future game would Nintendo peg in '19 to be a runaway success (or in dire need of promotion) by 2021?

I'll be hypocritical again and admit that I kinda miss base roster speculation haha.
One other concept I think would be a good idea to keep in mind in terms of Nintendo characters, especially but not exclusively with newer ones, is the idea that there has to be something to keep in the bank for future content. Now whether that's an Ultimate 1.5 Remix years down the road, a semi-reboot of some kind, or whatever, there has to be something compellingly new to include from Nintendo themselves. It's telling to me, anyway, that they didn't do Inklings during SSB4 DLC. They used them for Ultimate's launch roster.

Now that's not exactly me saying "Astral Chain got put in the spirit zone specifically so Officer Howard could be a newcomer next game" for example, but it's worth considering if this line of thought might be on anyone's mind over at Nintendo or on the Smash dev team.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

please post i need to watch that.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I agree with you. I think it's a shame that base game Ultimate only add one first party universe (inkling) and 2 with dlc (Arms). Smash 4 did a great job by adding Animal crossing, Wii fit, Xenoblade, Punch-Out and Duck hunt but with Ultimate they kind of stop doing that road. But to be fair Ultimate didn't have a lot of newcomer, and you cant't just replace Ridley or K.rool by Isaac or Chorus kids. Decision has to be made and the best first party newcomer was from already represented franchise.

But like you said, it's crazy how timing is so important. Isaac had is peak of popularity in the brawl era, when there was so many more important character than him to be added (not insulting him or his fans, but Kirby vilains, Diddy kong, Pokémon trainer, Wario etc. are more important than him imo). But then in Smash 4 when he could have a chance his franchise just stop there. The same thing happen with Andy from Advance wars and I'm pretty sure that's what will happen with Rhythm heaven. Those franchise just stop being relevant at the moment they could actually have a chance to be in.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

So, it looks like the same Twitter account from yesterday who posted that 100-character roster of first parties made yet another list, this time replacing anyone who's already an AT in Smash Ultimate, as well as Chirp from Pocket Card Jockey (since she's not 100% owned by Nintendo).

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't think that the Persona 5 event in Dragalia lost means a lot for Smash. Persona 5 has done so many crossover that at this point it's not that surprising. They crossover with Bang dream¸ Granblue fantasy, AFK arena, Star ocean, Another eden. They also appear in many Sega ip like Sonic forces, Catherine and Phantasy star online.
AFK Arena is just one step removed from Smash Bros.

Not the scenario I was ever expecting to see. Huh.

Do you mean this VoD by any chance?

Both of those players are at the competitive level and are consistent participants in this (weekly I believe) tournament series IIRC. Neither player's ranked within the Top 100, but still.

So, it looks like the same Twitter account from yesterday who posted that 100-character roster of first parties made yet another list, this time replacing anyone who's already an AT in Smash Ultimate, as well as Chirp from Pocket Card Jockey (since she's not 100% owned by Nintendo).
The real crime is that Ando Kensaku (the video game where Nintendo partnered with Google) was not in the twitter roster to begin with.

:4pacman:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I agree with you. I think it's a shame that base game Ultimate only add one first party universe (inkling) and 2 with dlc (Arms). Smash 4 did a great job by adding Animal crossing, Wii fit, Xenoblade, Punch-Out and Duck hunt but with Ultimate they kind of stop doing that road. But to be fair Ultimate didn't have a lot of newcomer, and you cant't just replace Ridley or K.rool by Isaac or Chorus kids. Decision has to be made and the best first party newcomer was from already represented franchise.
One big problem was that the stage budget was drained from having to remodel tons of Melee/Brawl/3DS stages, on top of having to adapt all stages to a new lighting engine whether or not they were remodeled, thus they couldn't give these characters home stages. Reason #947845 to hate Brinstar Depths.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Do you ever look back and realize that there was a time when we listened to someone named Hotgirlvideos69?

Yeah, explaining SSBU speculation to the later generations is going to be a wild ride.
And they're STILL trying to "leak" things. Remember that fake document from not too long ago? She was trying to imply some of that stuff was actually true.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I just care that there’s a ton of new stages from new universes. The fact that they’re mostly from 3rd party worlds doesn’t really matter to me. I actually prefer it.
Oh yeah I'm definitely not hating on third party. Seeing Persona, Dragon quest and Minecraft in Smash is just insane to me, and I'm sure there's a lot of fan of Fatal fury and Banjo too. But part of me kind of wish that more first party was introduced, but with Everyone is here and the sheer amount of content this game have I'm not disappointed in the game overall, not at all.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I don't really get the whole "equal character amount for each third party" thing.

Like I can think of many other great options for the likes of Sega and Capcom, that prohibiting any of em just cuz "they already have three, and other companies get an equal slice of the pie" just feels like a bit of a disservice.

Third party characters are typically added by their own merits, rather than to be a rep of their company. The only two exceptions I can think of in that regard are maaaybe Pac-Man and Terry, but even then those two definitely had their own merits on top of it all.
TBH I'm not really a fan of the concept of ratios for any of the franchises represented in Smash.

If the character is cool and they bring cool stuff, I personally don't really care how much content their series previously had in Smash before them, but that's just my take on it. I think each character should be representative of what makes themselves unique and fun rather than fulfilling some kind of quota.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Tfw the “render tease” was most likely cropped porn

i low key feel sick now
I want to know what happened as much as I don't want to know what happened.

so um what was the render tease in a uhhhhh not so nasty way........

More specifically what did it "leak"?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I want to know what happened as much as I don't want to know what happened.

so um what was the render tease in a uhhhhh not so nasty way........

More specifically what did it "leak"?
Just a mish mash of zoomed in pictures pretending to be the next fighter’s render which back then woulda been Steve

again, they were most likely super zoomed in porn

no way would a legit render look like that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom