• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Okay, this is definitely weird.

And on the night before a Pokemon Direct of all things.

Considering the Mario Direct announced a Smash tournament in September 2020, maybe they really are saving the news for it.
Realizing this means that people think a Gen 8 Pokémon could be CP11 and result in the Pokémon fandom attacking Sakurai for it:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Okay, this is definitely weird.

And on the night before a Pokemon Direct of all things.

Considering the Mario Direct announced a Smash tournament in September 2020, maybe they really are saving the news for it.
Well, funnily enough, we've already had a Pokemon 25th tournament in March of this year.

Which makes this whole thing stranger. 🤔

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I'm not following this

Well, funnily enough, we've already had a Pokemon 25th tournament in March of this year.

Which makes this whole thing stranger. 🤔
what's strange?
I highly doubt a character now of all things.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Could be like the arms reveal and they say it’s a Pokémon character as CP11
I feel like

A) That would be something that's never been done before, and wouldn't have the target audience(Smash fans) watching it

B) Sakurai would retweet the Direct to GET Smash fans to watch it

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The two missing spirit events chronologically would've happened in April and August 2019: 1019 and 1035 are the two missing spirit events
Just throwing it out there: any chance that the April one would be the Ultimate newcomer Tourney? It would have been about a month after Byleth's release and the end of Volume 1, which would explain why they'd postpone it (V2 was already planned by then).

No clue on August, though. Maybe a Spirit event for a game that got delayed?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it might have been before the Smash 4 tourney, so never mind.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
"This fighter's a Gen 8 Mon!"

yea, it could happen.

Dragapult would make a lot of sense to me, didn't he win an official popularity content for Gen 8?

Shroob

Sup?
"This fighter's a Gen 8 Mon!"

yea, it could happen.

Dragapult would make a lot of sense to me, didn't he win an official popularity content for Gen 8?
If it did, it was almost assuredly held after Pass 2 was decided.

I'm just imagining now the backlash of Gengar and Decidueye fans mad as hell the first Ghost Pokemon to be playable isn't Gengar or Decidueye.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
If it did, it was almost assuredly held after Pass 2 was decided.

I'm just imagining now the backlash of Gengar and Decidueye fans mad as hell the first Ghost Pokemon to be playable isn't Gengar or Decidueye.
Well, that isnt the one I usually hear people talk about when it comes Gen 8 representation but I wouldnt be mad. And being fair, incineroar wasnt the most speculated pokemon either.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Could always be another gen 4 character with the remake coming out and legends arceus
Well, if that is the case, I hope its another pokemon trainer situation with the three starters in different evo states. In which case I would prefer it to be:
BD/SP: Turtwig/Monferno/Empoleon
LA: Cyndaquil/Dewott/Decidueye

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Could be like the arms reveal and they say it’s a Pokémon character as CP11
The problem I have with this is I feel like Pokemon has good enough representation in the game and there are other games that could fit their promotional benefit. For example, when they added Min Min, Byleth and Pyra/Mythra, even though people were angry about it to an extent, it still served a lot of benefit to Nintendo because people now cared about ARMS, more people bought Fire Emblem and more people bought Xenoblade, all 3 of these titles weren't doing nearly as well as Pokemon. Sword and Shield is still topping the charts, if they added a character from it it would only be a minor boost for a franchise that everyone is talking about anyway, not to mention plenty of people would be angry.

So the problem I have with the "they have to promote Gen 8" theory is that there's no real reason to promote it, it's already doing so good.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Imagine:

They announce that the last character is a Pokemon, like the ARMS thing

but

they don't specify which gen the Pokemon is from
I mean
They could still give us adequate pictures of Pokemon to help us narrow it down

ARMS pulled this cuz the full roster was small enough that they could do this.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It's very, very, 99.9999999999999% not a character, they wouldn't drop a character in a game-specific Direct, they'd sooner save the character for next month's General.

So, either Tournament or Spirits, what could it be.....
or, they could do something in-between. A psuedo character-reveal

oh no

Shroob

Sup?
or, they could do something in-between. A psuedo character-reveal

oh no
Like I said before, I'm extremely certain that Sakurai would retweet the Direct.

That, and soft-confirming a character outside of a General Direct or major event like E3/TGA is unheard of. You wouldn't be targeting Smash's audience at all doing it like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom