• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Octoling would be a "funny" way to end Ultimate.

Not a 'good' way imo, but funny.

The last trailer being a remake of the first trailer would definitely bring a sense of finality to everything.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
In that case, shouldn't they have been concerned about selling Lucas, whose model is literally edited from Ness's?
I think there's kind of a difference between veteran characters who've already had their foot in the door, and all new fighters.

As of now, there's been like 16 newcomers released as DLC across both Smash 4 and Ultimate, and every single one of them have been entirely unique. Whereas Octoling would at best be a Wolf/Lucas styled "pseudo-clone" of Inkling.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah the Activision Blizzard stuff pretty much ended up killing any desire I had of seeing Crash in Smash. Like I was kinda willing to overlook the Hong Kong stuff that happened in 2019 (which was bad too, don't get me wrong), but now, yeah, I'm done.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I feel bad for Crash and Spyro, since the franchises are entirely innocent, but

Yeah, kinda hard to look at Activision with anything but disgust.
I mean, Activision hasn’t done any favors for Crash or Spyro either. All their new games broke sales expectations by a landslide so their studios were punished with either being absorbed by Blizzard (Vicarious) or put into Call of Duty rotation hell (Toys for Bob and Beenox). I’d still love Crash because the love for him would prove that Activision is dumb for killing a franchise that people love but it would still leave a bad taste that Activision, the abusive company least responsible for his success, is the one rewarded. **** sucks.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Missed opportunity if the last character isn’t either

shadow
Phoenix Wright
Or Professor Layton

all of them would be a poetic fitting to them

Would be poetic for the ultimate life form to show up as the last fighter in the ultimate fighting game

would be poetic if the lawyer who gets people a guilty verdict is the one who ends the pass by getting the very first character (joker) a guilty verdict for stealing the first invite

and then it would be poetic if the character who sees everything as a puzzle and solves puzzles for fun Was the one who ends the pass by solving the puzzle as to who the real culprit is behind WOL or ends up solving the solution to taking down dharkon or Galeem in the last trailer.

missed opportunity if they don’t end it on a character which would be poetic to smash bros ultimate

SKX31

Smash Master
The only thing that really makes me doubt a character like Octoling being the last character is that they're somewhat similar to the Inklings who are base characters. Won't Nintendo be like "People will believe they're buying an Inkling skin" or something like that? I know that's stupid because we, as Smash fans can tell the difference between an Inkling and an Octoling but put yourself in the shoes of a casual gamer who has no idea what Splatoon is, what is the Octoling going to do to sell to the casual gamer that they're any different from the Inkling? What if the casual gamer looks at them both and goes "What's different about this character? It looks just like Inkling?" That's a lost sale right there.

I don't know, I just see Octoling being the equivalent of Akuma being the last fighter. Sure they could do something different but would buying a character that looks similar to a character you can find in the base game really justify the price?

But hey, that's just what I think.
Then again, we haven't seen any non-protagonist first parties (that's a mouthful) released as DLC outside of Mewtwo. And it had the "veteran" caveat and thus the expenses paid to rework it from its Melee incarnation*. Nintendo's primary hang up may be something as simple as "Well, we could release this established guy as DLC... but this other guy is the star of his / her own game, and we get to advertise that game as a bonus! Also, we only have so many slots, so lets maximize this".

The scenario you propose, of a casual trying to tell the Octolings apart from the Inklings, is a complicated one. There are - TBF - some ways to make it easier:

• Model changes: Emphasize perhaps the Octo Expansion style and / or bring in other choiches of clothes to make the visual distinction clear.
  • Gameplay changes. :ultinkling: excel at quick damage racking and versatile movement / burst options, while their main weaknesses are the lack of a consistent / safe KO option and limited out of shield options. Octoling could instead specialize at more traditional zoning or something else thanks to different weaponry (in return having different weaknesses) - this in turn can be combined with the model changes to create a distinct look and feel.

It's not impossible for say the Octolings, Waluigi or someone else to be released as DLC, but I'm a "I believe it when I see it" kind of guy - especially when it comes to a project as secretive as this.

*(Which TBF it needed since Melee Mewtwo had alot of jank like a lack of reliable KO options and a Side B that didn't work as a reflector, but that's another topic.)

Yep.

And sadly, Activision's plan is already working...
I feel bad for Crash and Spyro, since the franchises are entirely innocent, but

Yeah, kinda hard to look at Activision with anything but disgust.
A good time to put this reminder: a group of A-B investors are suing A-B partly due to the fact that the investors were not told about the investigation. And to hammer home that it is having very real effects: several of Overwatch League's / CoD League's sponsors pulled out.

Chances are that this is not going to be forgotten even if A-B does wind up settling and actually reforms its organizational culture.

Also, in miscellaneous news:

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
My gut still tells me Activision will get involved with Smash somehow (I mean ofc maybe they're not but still)

Maybe Crash and Spyro spirits/mii costumes

Same with OW and Skylanders

But this last idea just hit me,too, and for the best selling FPS series, it would be a big deal:

Call of Duty Mii Gunner

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
My gut still tells me Activision will get involved with Smash somehow (I mean ofc maybe they're not but still)

Maybe Crash and Spyro spirits/mii costumes

Same with OW and Skylanders

But this last idea just hit me,too, and for the best selling FPS series, it would be a big deal:

Call of Duty Mii Gunner
imagine the scenes. A smash direct/presentation for the last character. It’s a live reaction And we don’t know who it is. Sakurai shows the mii costumes straight away before the character. 10 mii costumes all fan favourites. Crash gets revealed to be a mii alongside Spyro. Scenes would be wild

MarioKartRenderOwner

Smash Cadet
Hey, I remember you.

You debunked that extremely specific leak.

lol
yeah i check back here every once in a while, i'm admitally super incredibly burnt out on smash discussion and just kind of ready for it to be over for the most part, the "at each other's throat" stuff of smash discussion has gotten wayyyyy to heated for my liking for a game about mario and richter belmont beating up ROB the robot. My stance on the final character is "it could be anyone im fine at this point", that's not to say i don't have wants and un wants (i really would like Reimu or Waluigi 2 very different characters on the "smash character spectrum" and i'd be incredibly bored with a pokemon dude) but i'm mostly with whatever haha

i am interested in who the last character will be just from the perspective of just all the different places it could go, smash is a minefield of all different types of people into very different things with different thoughts poured into a soup bowl and there's basically 0 character everyone would be ok with, i sometimes feel like someone like Dr. Eggman would be a good crowd pleaser just because you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would debate eggman's place in gaming but i realize that finding that one true crowd pleaser is truly impossible

anyway, the final character will OBVIOUSLY be flag holding koopa from mario party superstars, a perfect recent character to end the game on and keep it up to date!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
bro do u know how many different weapons there are in splatoon lol
Let's be real here: pretty much every clone/semi-clone in Smash could, in theory, have a totally unique moveset...but they don't. Not even the ones who weren't last minute additions like Isabelle and Lucas.

With Smash, it feels like if a character can be deriative of another character, then their moveset almost always ends up being deriative.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom