• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Some events were posted late so maybe this is another one of those late events?

Last time this happened was two weeks ago for Mario Golf spirits.
god damnit, gonna have to stay up later now. Ohh well. Guess I can stay up till 3 at the latest

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Let's be real here: pretty much every clone/semi-clone in Smash could, in theory, have a totally unique moveset...but they don't. Not even the ones who weren't last minute additions like Isabelle and Lucas.

With Smash, it feels like if a character can be deriative of another character, then their moveset almost always ends up being deriative.
hopefully they wouldn't do that for paid dlc lol

honestly octolings are inevitably gonna be in smash, but the timing of their inclusion is gonna make huge difference. octoling as ult dlc would probably be wayyy more gimmicky than smash6 base roster

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Aight so who’s clearly getting deconfirmed tonight then guys since it’s late like last time

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
bro do u know how many different weapons there are in splatoon lol
It is still a "could they?" versus a "would they" situation. Could they? Absolutely, would they? For now, I think that's a bit more complicated.

Obviously the Octolings would parallel the Inklings in some way. At the very least, they would share the ink mechanic (they could make it work like it actually works in Splatoon where it's geared for stage control instead of stacking Damage Up for some reason, but I don't think they'd do that for the sake of consistency). As DLC characters though, I can't imagine them being too close to the Inklings in terms of gameplay; the fact that they're sold separately makes making them different easier to justify.

Let's be real here: pretty much every clone/semi-clone in Smash could, in theory, have a totally unique moveset...but they don't. Not even the ones who weren't last minute additions like Isabell and Lucas.

With Smash, it feels like if a character can be deriative of another character, then their moveset almost always ends up being deriative.
Actually, I'd say that adds more pressure for the Octolings as DLC to be more unique than other characters of their ilk. They're visually similar and mechanically identical to the Inklings in Splatoon, so in order to sell them they're going to need to put more work in to make them look and feel like a new edition rather than just Inkling 2.0.

As for how they'd be different, I suspect they'd wield the weapons featured in their official art just like the Inklings. For the Octoling character specifically, I think they'd pick the ones for the art that got Amiibo, which would be this:
1629248844198.png
Problem: They both have different weapons. Considering that one of them is a Roller though, I'd imagine they'd pick the Brush instead for the sake of versitility, though the Roller could see a bit more use than just in the Side Special. Either way, they'd be sword characters rather than the more brawler style character that the Inkling is. After that, they'd use different weapons and sub-weapons from a sniper rifle to a jet pack to a shield...shotgun...thing.

As base roster characters they would one hundo percent be clones though. That I agree with.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The last time we didn't have a spirit event confirmed within the hour was the Mario Golf spirit event that had new content. There's a decent chance that not only this new spirit event has new spirits, but potentially is one of the two missing events too

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
New spirit event or a potential smash bro’s reveal in august 👀 though I’d think the spirit event is more plausible
To be fair, the day Steve was revealed was a Thursday.
We knew he would be revealed on Thursday because of a Wednesday morning tweet.

Maybe they will announce something tomorrow morning after the pokemon direct.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
To be fair, the day Steve was revealed was a Thursday.
We knew he would be revealed on Thursday because of a Wednesday morning tweet.

Maybe they will announce something tomorrow morning after the pokemon direct.
I don't think so unless they're revealing the final DLC fighter at Gamescom, which I doubt.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Random Spirit Board idea

The Sakuna event made me realize we got more Marvelous content.. so now it's those spirits and the Travis outfit.

What's another smaller JP company with content already in the game? ArcSys.

Guilty Gear spirits, anyone?

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
The reveal is probably happening next month with the pokemon presents and the indie direct this month. But the actual character probably won't drop until October-November, judging by Sakurai's "it will be a while" comment which he has said twice regarding the last fighter, and is even further apparent by the late deadline.

I'm hoping for Waluigi but the more realistic side of me says it will probably be a Capcom character or another JRPG character that I don't care too much about.

But oh god... wouldn't Waluigi be such a beautiful ending?

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Either way, they'd be sword characters rather than the more brawler style character that the Inkling is. After that, they'd use different weapons and sub-weapons from a sniper rifle to a jet pack to a shield...shotgun...thing.

As base roster characters they would one hundo percent be clones though. That I agree with.
a zoner octoling with disjointed inkbrush normals would be pretty sick

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I have to admit
a Waluigi Pinball stage would be incredibly satisfying
Objectively Waluigi would be the best ending to this game just because of the glorious reaction from all sides. There would be so many whiners and so many people extremely happy with it. Also it would be even greater since nobody would see it coming.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I agree, the best timeline is obviously the one where we get Black Knight.
View attachment 326721
Black Knight would honestly be super cool if his franchise didn't already have 8 reps.

What's wrong with overwhelming community favorites getting promoted?

Objectively Waluigi would be the best ending to this game just because of the glorious reaction from all sides. There would be so many whiners and so many people extremely happy with it. Also it would be even greater since nobody would see it coming.
Honestly, overall I have to say that Waluigi would be a crowd pleaser, most of the community wants him and it'd be a glorious victory for his character! He'd also be the perfect way to end it off, it bookends well with Ultimate starting with his disclusion and ending with his inclusion!

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Honestly, overall I have to say that Waluigi would be a crowd pleaser, most of the community wants him and it'd be a glorious victory for his character! He'd also be the perfect way to end it off, it bookends well with Ultimate starting with his disclusion and ending with his inclusion!
But Waluigi has such a vocal fanbase that the people who don't want him are also very vocal about it if that makes sense. I agree that overall he would be a crowd pleaser, but these small amount of vocal whiners would make his reveal better.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Someone said on here a few posts backwards that this could potentially be one of the missing events.do we have a timeframe for when these events were skipped and if so what spirit events were skipped over around that time

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Let's be real here: pretty much every clone/semi-clone in Smash could, in theory, have a totally unique moveset...but they don't. Not even the ones who weren't last minute additions like Isabelle and Lucas.

I hardly feel like this is a bad thing to be honest. Real life sucks and it means you can only do so much. For a lot of characters, being glaringly derivative was their best if not only shot. Dark Samus comes to mind as better-than-nothing incarnate.
Of course, this is probably not very relevant with regards to DLC, as it seems like something they'd avoid.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Two weeks ago we got the Spirit Event Announcement on Thursday instead of Tuesday, a whole two days late, and then last week it went back to having the Event Tourney announced on Tuesday. T'is some unpredictable times we live in.

The Spirit Event/Event Tourney could be announced as soon as the next hour, or as late as the end of the week, or even just skip this week entirely. Much like the next character, it's hard to predict.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
The Mario Golf spirits were announced officially on a Thursday but we somehow found out about them earlier. An in game notification or something?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I asked this hours ago, but how does one start a support thread for a character/series?
I'd like to start one. (Or at least, have the idea of starting one in mind.)

MattX20

Smash Hero
Someone said on here a few posts backwards that this could potentially be one of the missing events.do we have a timeframe for when these events were skipped and if so what spirit events were skipped over around that time
The two missing spirit events chronologically would've happened in April and August 2019: 1019 and 1035 are the two missing spirit events

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I asked this hours ago, but how does one start a support thread for a character/series?
I'd like to start one. (Or at least, have the idea of starting one in mind.)
At the top of the Newcomer Speculation Forum there is a option to create a new thread. It is above the stacked posts in this section of the forum.

For further assistance, consult the Smash Ultimate Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom