• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Also just because Namco are working with Nintendo and Sakurai on Smash doesn't necessarily mean they'll get a cut price deal on Kazuya.

All the talk about budgets and costs is pointless when you have no actual insight at all. You can infer that Sephiroth cost a fortune but that's where the buck ends.

Shroob

Sup?
At the end of the day, until the September Direct airs, the one thing we know about CP11, is that we know ****-all about CP11.

We don't know if they'll be 1st party
We don't know if they'll be 3rd party
We don't know if they'll be small
Or huge

The only thing we know is they exist, and trying to make assumptions, especially in FP2 of all things which has basically told us to go **** ourselves in regards to speculation, patterns, and fan rules, is a fool's errand. Feel free to speculate all you want, but trying to push a narrative that CP11 MUST go a certain way is no bueno.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I see all this talk about wether AT’s deconfirm or not and the simple way to put it would be that I’d imagine the company getting a rep in smash probably gets to decide what rep it is or gets a say on it.

If they currently have an AT in smash then if they’re negotiating for a smash rep then they can opt for the AT to be upgraded if they want. It’s probably how we also got sephiroth specifically from square or how we specifically got min Min because the producer wanted min min.

if Nintendo told sakurai to get a sega character for example then if sega want to upgrade one of their assists trophies to playable then I’m sure they’d ask for the upgrade or they’d Play hard to get until Nintendo and them come to an agreement.

AT’s don’t deconfirm. It’s all in people’s heads.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The only thing we know is they exist, and trying to make assumptions, especially in FP2 of all things which has basically told us to go **** ourselves in regards to speculation, patterns, and fan rules, is a fool's errand. Feel free to speculate all you want, but trying to push a narrative that CP11 MUST go a certain way is no bueno.
Sure it's broken so many rules, but I can still doubt that, even if it is "hype", the hype level would be "Get all the Reddit Gold from putting their model next to Mario's", can't I?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
FP2 has been crazy indeed. I only predicted Steve would be in(though I didn't get the Herobrine alt like I expected. Alex alt was expected by me, though). The rest? Definitely something I wouldn't have predicted.

And that's not a bad thing either.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The only thing that really makes me doubt a character like Octoling being the last character is that they're somewhat similar to the Inklings who are base characters. Won't Nintendo be like "People will believe they're buying an Inkling skin" or something like that? I know that's stupid because we, as Smash fans can tell the difference between an Inkling and an Octoling but put yourself in the shoes of a casual gamer who has no idea what Splatoon is, what is the Octoling going to do to sell to the casual gamer that they're any different from the Inkling? What if the casual gamer looks at them both and goes "What's different about this character? It looks just like Inkling?" That's a lost sale right there.

I don't know, I just see Octoling being the equivalent of Akuma being the last fighter. Sure they could do something different but would buying a character that looks similar to a character you can find in the base game really justify the price?

But hey, that's just what I think.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The only thing that really makes me doubt a character like Octoling being the last character is that they're somewhat similar to the Inklings who are base characters. Won't Nintendo be like "People will believe they're buying an Inkling skin" or something like that? I know that's stupid because we, as Smash fans can tell the difference between an Inkling and an Octoling but put yourself in the shoes of a casual gamer who has no idea what Splatoon is, what is the Octoling going to do to sell to the casual gamer that they're any different from the Inkling? What if the casual gamer looks at them both and goes "What's different about this character? It looks just like Inkling?" That's a lost sale right there.

I don't know, I just see Octoling being the equivalent of Akuma being the last fighter. Sure they could do something different but would buying a character that looks similar to a character you can find in the base game really justify the price?

In that case, shouldn't they have been concerned about selling Lucas, whose model is literally edited from Ness's?

Shroob

Sup?
In that case, shouldn't they have been concerned about selling Lucas, whose model is literally edited from Ness's?
Smash 4's DLC =/= Smash Ult's. They're entirely different games and should be treated as such, what with them selling 2 Semi-clones.

However, that's not to say Octolings can't happen. Despite their very similar body-shape, I could see them being wholly unique.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

To be fair we could say the same thing between Marth or Ike being compared to Byleth. I'll still stand by Byleth's inclusion and that they're fun to play, but if Octoling and Inkling are visually too close but Byleth and Marth aren't that must be a really thin line of "Acceptable/Unacceptable."

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Compared to the other three DLC first-parties, I don't feel like Nintendo is SUPER worried about Splatoon to the point where they'll think Inkling isn't enough. And that's another thing. Inkling works as a rep for every Splatoon game. Byleth, Min Min, and Pyra promote a specific game that didn't have a character on the roster.

Octoling feels more suited for a base roster.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly If CP11 is first party I do wanna see if they'll go for a Switch-era fighter or not.
It honestly would shock me if they did go with someone from the Switch era, what with all its potential reps either already being playable, the subject of spirit events, or in the case of LM3 it got promoted by Smash in a different way.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I’m also seeing all this talk of what first party reps are left or who’s getting chosen and To be fair in my personal with First Party reps and the whole pass in general characters have clearly been chosen for what gimmicks and creative movesets they can bring to the game and not the same old stuff that we see in the base roster

chances are if a character is really basic and doesn’t have a gimmick or so going for them they’ll get passed over. It’s probably why we got min min and pyra/myphra over other first party reps because I can’t think of many first party reps that can bring uniqueness to the table.

min min flat out brought long arms to the table with weapon swapping and pyra/mythra brought the Pokemon trainer gimmick to the table but expanded on it quite a bit.

couldn’t possibly tell you if the last character is huge or small or in the middle but if they offer some stuff that’s already been done in this pass then the chances are they probably won’t happen. But that’s my option and guess though.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I’m also seeing all this talk of what first party reps are left or who’s getting chosen and To be fair in my personal with First Party reps and the whole pass in general characters have clearly been chosen for what gimmicks and creative movesets they can bring to the game and not the same old stuff that we see in the base roster

chances are if a character is really basic and doesn’t have a gimmick or so going for them they’ll get passed over. It’s probably why we got min min and pyra/myphra over other first party reps because I can’t think of many first party reps that can bring uniqueness to the table.

min min flat out brought long arms to the table with weapon swapping and pyra/mythra brought the Pokemon trainer gimmick to the table but expanded on it quite a bit.

couldn’t possibly tell you if the last character is huge or small or in the middle but if they offer some stuff that’s already been done in this pass then the chances are they probably won’t happen. But that’s my option and guess though.
so true, the only thing we know about the character selection process is that they must be "unique and fun to play"

rly think this should be taken into consideration when speculating... what new broken dlc gimmick could x offer ?

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well they had Brawl to decide if Lucas was worth buying and that was backwards compatible with the Wii U.

To be fair we could say the same thing between Marth or Ike being compared to Byleth. I'll still stand by Byleth's inclusion and that they're fun to play, but if Octoling and Inkling are visually too close but Byleth and Marth aren't that must be a really thin line of "Acceptable/Unacceptable."
I don't know. I feel that the differences between Byleth and Marth compared to Inkling and Octoling are night and day. For one Byleth can be both Male and Female while Marth is only Male which is something that is advertised in the fighters pass.

Copnaut

Smash Rookie

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Also just because Namco are working with Nintendo and Sakurai on Smash doesn't necessarily mean they'll get a cut price deal on Kazuya.

All the talk about budgets and costs is pointless when you have no actual insight at all. You can infer that Sephiroth cost a fortune but that's where the buck ends.
This. Even if Namco is working on Smash that doesn't mean they'll be cheaper. Negotiations for characters and whatever the deal they have for Smash are different things. And Tekken is a decently big IP after all.

Also, maybe I'm just imagining things but I swear I remember someone (as in, an important guy), maybe Maximillian Dood, speculating that Sephiroth might have been cheaper than he would be in normal circumstances. So who knows. If that was true, he wouldn't have took as much budget as we imagine.

I'm personally not expecting a big third party for CP11 but if we get another third party character I'm convinced it could be someone decently popular and not necessarily super niche stuff.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean hypothetically, beyond the ink mechanic and a basic projectile shot, you could entirely change up the moveset of an Octoling in comparison to an Inkling. Given the sheer amount of weapons between the Splatoon duology there certainly has to be some combination of attacks they could pull from and make them fairly different.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Yeah, contrary to that image, he is in video game hell.
In all seriousness, I did some curious google searching after this comment, and it seems he's SOMEWHAT relevant. Dude has a 2019 game.

Also, the biggest Switch-era rep we could get is a Gen 8 pokemon
some of them could be unique as hell, imagine an in-place soccer ball that Cinderace could kick around

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
In all seriousness, I did some curious google searching after this comment, and it seems he's SOMEWHAT relevant. Dude has a 2019 game.

Also, the biggest Switch-era rep we could get is a Gen 8 pokemon
some of them could be unique as hell, imagine an in-place soccer ball that Cinderace could kick around
Yeah, true. That is scary though. Wanna know what's scarier? Bubsy being in a future Smash game.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I mean hypothetically, beyond the ink mechanic and a basic projectile shot, you could entirely change up the moveset of an Octoling in comparison to an Inkling. I mean given the sheer amount of weapons between the Splatoon duology there certainly has to be something amount they could pull from and make them fairly different.
they can even give them splatoon3 weapons if they rly wanna promote it, never understood the gotta be an echo rhetoric

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, true. That is scary though. Wanna know what's scarier? Bubsy being in a future Smash game.
With how the pass's Switch reps have been from 2017, Bubsy getting revived in 2019 might actually be a point against him being in FP2.

As for the future of Smash, the point against him being in is that he's ****ing Bubsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom