• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If it was a spin-off with more experimental mechanics, I would be legitimately interested.
I've long stated I see only two logical options for the future of Smash
1- A deluxe + (with no cuts_
2- A reboot
Based primarily on how the development cycle for this game, and public perception.

But I do see a third option, which would allow other directors to test their might.
Smash Bros spinoffs, likely series related.
It could be geared more to specific series, not just in characters but in content.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I've long stated I see only two logical options for the future of Smash
1- A deluxe + (with no cuts_
2- A reboot
Based primarily on how the development cycle for this game, and public perception.

But I do see a third option, which would allow other directors to test their might.
Smash Bros spinoffs, likely series related.
It could be geared more to specific series, not just in characters but in content.
Would said spin-offs be different genres, like RPGs etc?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Who knows, it is just speculation.
It could be based on genre, but I think it would be more like
Super Mario Bros Smash
Super Pokemon Smash
Super Hyrule Smash
and, a given, Super Fire Emblem Smash (name pending)

EDIT: I'm not sure if you meant the games themselves would be different genres, or if it would focus on different genres.
If it is Smash Bros but a different genre, I don't see how it would be the same game.
I am personally shocked that after the cash-cow of Smash, Nintendo hasn't done Nintendo Kart, Nintendo RPG, Nintendo Sports, Nintendo Party, Nintendo Simulation...Nintendo Land seemed like the closest, and while it was my actual favorite game on the Wii U- the system itself seemed to doom the future of the game.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So there is something that I got to ask

Do you guys think that after Ultimate, it will be time for Smash to evolve from 4 Special Moves to 8 Special Moves?

Brawl was really the last game that added to the General Moveset of characters, with the Final Smash, and if the Future of Smash Will still use the General framework of the Series so far (in that it's not a reboot), adding more Specials universally would be a Good addition to add Freshness to the general gameplay that's been a thing for over 20 years

I also think it would be a really good compromise for people that like the Current Movesets of the charcaters, and people who want the movesets to be changed in certain ways. Ganondorf would be a good example, as Another Set of Specials would allow him to stuff like Float, Dead Man Volley, Reflect, Trident, Ground Pound, which would make him feel more complete

Of course not every character has enough material for another set of Specials, so perhaps some of the moves could be EX Specials, which might have meter used tied to it

Balancing would be something to take into account with more moves, and certain additions to certain movesets would drastically change how certain characters can be played, but Sakurai did say that Fun was priority over Balance. The addition of 4 more Specials might make Smash more of a Hyper Fighter than currently, but if it needs to be done, so be it

If we going by Joycon standards (which has 6 Buttons), 5 would be used for general actions in the game (Jump, Attack, Special, Shield, Grab) which leaves an extra button open that could be used for a 2nd Special Button

Ivander

Smash Legend
I can't see going too well with the fandom. Sure, Smash can always use more female characters but it has a good amount of them. A girls-only Smash game would be seen as a downgrade since a lot of the popular Nintendo women are already in Smash and you'd be getting rid of so many heavy hitters.
If it was a spin-off with more experimental mechanics, I would be legitimately interested.
I mean, that's pretty much how it should be. Not a main game, but a spin-off game and whatnot. If it tried to be just Smash Bros. with just female characters, it would probably do okay, but obviously not better than Smash Bros. But if it were trying to be it's own thing as a spin-off-like game with it's own wackiness and crazy factors, maybe even a different genre like RPG, I could see it doing very well.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'd love a smash spin off but they're already so demanding to make qualify wise I'd be afraid of it being a bad game but with the right support it could totally work. I'd totally try a female fighter (lolwut) ...

As someone who ignored Hyrule warriors though I'm less enthusiastic about a spinoff involving individual franchises more like I'd like to be introduced to even more New franchises by virtue of a new cast. I don't even want tie in characters really (like leaving Marth on the roster to facilitate new FE reps).

Speaking of FE reps and Healing Characters duhhhh Micaiah! Light spells, give her a teleport maybe... But for a healing mechanism her thing was Sacrifice so maybe some kind of deal involving that ... dunno how tho haha

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
While you're all waiting for Challenger Pack 11, I thought I'd post some more TimeSplitters Rewind (Fan project) stuff since I'm the TimeSplitters guy.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

As for how I can speculate about this to Sgt. Cortez's favour, Nintendo has had a history of removing fan games and maybe they could have stumbled upon this project once in a blue moon, were impressed by it and wanted to get input from Free Radical? I don't know. Maybe that's the story of how TimeSplitters got revived during the Fighters Pass?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Do you guys think that after Ultimate, it will be time for Smash to evolve from 4 Special Moves to 8 Special Moves?

Brawl was really the last game that added to the General Moveset of characters, with the Final Smash, and if the Future of Smash Will still use the General framework of the Series so far (in that it's not a reboot), adding more Specials universally would be a Good addition to add Freshness to the general gameplay that's been a thing for over 20 years

I also think it would be a really good compromise for people that like the Current Movesets of the charcaters, and people who want the movesets to be changed in certain ways. Ganondorf would be a good example, as Another Set of Specials would allow him to stuff like Float, Dead Man Volley, Reflect, Trident, Ground Pound, which would make him feel more complete

Of course not every character has enough material for another set of Specials, so perhaps some of the moves could be EX Specials, which might have meter used tied to it

Balancing would be something to take into account with more moves, and certain additions to certain movesets would drastically change how certain characters can be played, but Sakurai did say that Fun was priority over Balance. The addition of 4 more Specials might make Smash more of a Hyper Fighter than currently, but if it needs to be done, so be it

If we going by Joycon standards (which has 6 Buttons), 5 would be used for general actions in the game (Jump, Attack, Special, Shield, Grab) which leaves an extra button open that could be used for a 2nd Special Button
I think just another Special Move button would be confusing. Even fighting games with more buttons have a clear distinction between them such as light vs. medium vs. heavy and punch vs. kick. However, I do think an EX system could work.

My idea for an EX. system in this game would be similar to the V-Trigger system from Street Fighter V (though, perhaps only at a surface level). Each character would have about 1-5 EX bars depending on the character and how many is too many or too few. The average would probably be 3. Once you gain a bar, you can use that to perform an EX move with what's currently the 2nd jump button, which will be a stronger version of a Special Move. Sometimes these will simply be named EX [MOVE] but some characters will have their moves be called something else (ex. Thunder Jolt becomes Thunderbolt and PK Fire becomes PK Fire γ). If a character fills up all three of their EX bars, they get access to a Super Special Move (or something with a better name), which is initiated by pressing the EX move button and the Special Move Button. Super Special Moves aren't the same thing as Final Smashes, but they are still super moves at a lower scale.

This system has an added benefit that you were looking for as well in that it can give characters access to moves that they should be able to access, but don't fit anywhere in their kit, such as Roy's EX Flare Blade becoming his projectile attack, or Lucas's Super Special Move being PK Love.

What's even cooler is that some characters could modify or substitute the system with something else. For example, Min Min gets a Rush Gauge instead of an EX one, which differs in that it allows her to fire large lasers from her Dragon ARM, fire her Ram Ram ARM at a rapid rate, and super power her Megawatt ARM, but also forces her to plant her feet during the move. Essentially, she only gets a Super Special Move, but it's on the more powerful end.

For an example of something much different, Mega Man could forgo the EX gauge in favor of the Double Gear System. Left EX is the Power Gear, which powers up his attacks (and potentially increases the damage he takes, but that's a balancing thing), while Right EX is the Speed Gear, which ups Mega Man's speed. Using either gear fills up a heat gauge, that deactivates your gears, and lowers some of your stats when it fills up. When MegaMan reaches 100%, he can use his Super Special Move: Double Gear, which does both at the same time, but unlike either individual gear, it can't be canceled, and the overheat causes stronger detrimental effects; it is a last resort only.

What certain EX moves would do and how characters that already kind of have this system (Cloud and Joker) would interact with it I dunno, but I think it could be a really good system.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I've thought for a while they should give every character a super meter and put supers on Y and directions.

There's a lot of cool things you could do with that: Bayo's supers could represent her other weapons, Fire Emblem characters could have "supports" that call in help from other characters, Meta Knight could have a weird reverse-super where he gives the opponent a sword but gains meter from it. I don't know, I think it would be interesting.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...Meta Knight could have a weird reverse-super where he gives the opponent a sword but gains meter from it.
I love this. Meta Knight throws a sword into the ground that opponents can pick up and do item shenanigans with. Meta Knight himself can't grab it while it's in the ground, but if you try, he will kick it at the opponent. I don't know how practical it would be, but it would certainly be entertaining.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I've thought for a while they should give every character a super meter and put supers on Y and directions.

There's a lot of cool things you could do with that: Bayo's supers could represent her other weapons, Fire Emblem characters could have "supports" that call in help from other characters, Meta Knight could have a weird reverse-super where he gives the opponent a sword but gains meter from it. I don't know, I think it would be interesting.
genius idea

also in smash 6 every char should have a shield+b and back special like terry

iffy on the back special tho it might limit side b's overall

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Speaking of FE reps and Healing Characters duhhhh Micaiah! Light spells, give her a teleport maybe... But for a healing mechanism her thing was Sacrifice so maybe some kind of deal involving that ... dunno how tho haha
I mean, this does all lead back to Tracer being a healing/teleporting character who has a decent shot to get in.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So here is a question for ya.

If Pokemon representation were to allow Pokemon spin off music, but only from three series, which three would you pick?
PMD, Pokken, and Conquest. Easy.

I think 8 is too much, but I definitely think a new special could spice things up. I don't know where it would go, though. Back specials don't really work without the FG auto turnaround, shield specials would be difficult to make unique, grab specials would be somewhat rare to see, etc.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
genius idea

also in smash 6 every char should have a shield+b and back special like terry

iffy on the back special tho it might limit side b's overall
An idea in the same vein. Imagine a future Smash spinoff where it's a "traditional" 2D-style fighting game. I wonder how successful that would be.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
To me, this feels like the best case scenario future of Smash. Keep porting over Ultimate with a couple of QoL updates (new stages, music, costumes, and a character or two, balance patches, maybe even update movesets to make them feel more modern, etc), but then take the style of roster in a completely different direction. Imagine fleshing out something like Subspace Emissary into an entire time, with more of a plot, branching storylines, the option to form a party, moves that can be upgraded, all that.

I say "like" Subspace Emissary because...let's be honest, the main draw of that mode was seeing the characters/worlds interact with each other. We don't want a carbon copy of how that mode actually played, we want it fleshed out with even more choice cutscenes haha.

It's still why so many of us get hyped at reveal trailers. Luigi exploring Dracula's castle, Ken reenacting EM37 on Little Mac, Banjo and Inkling reacting to Sephiroth slicing the big boss in half, all of that makes Smash so special.

Subspace gave us a huge taste of that and it's why we miss it so damn bad. Make it an entire platformer RPG and it would explode off the shelves just as much, I think.

The trick would be for Nintendo to get behind such a game while allowing the fighting game to co-exist alongside it...maybe the RPG could be the big selling point of an Ultimate remaster for next-gen?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Quick question to everyone, what button do you use to jump? If we're adding a new attack button, I want to know which jump button it should replace. I'm personally a tap button peasant, so my opinion doesn't really matter, but between Y and X?

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Quick question to everyone, what button do you use to jump? If we're adding a new attack button, I want to know which jump button it should replace. I'm personally a tap button peasant, so my opinion doesn't really matter, but between Y and X?
Y is more comfortable to me, but I sometimes use X to make inputting aerials easier.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It’s Y on GameCube which is my controller of choice but if I’m handheld or pro controller it’s the X button. So whichever is at the top of the controller I guess.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Tap jump and C. Yeah I'm a Wii chucker.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I'm team Tap Jump baybeeeeeee You can do whatever you want to my X and Y buttons

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Next game should be a 3D arena fighter with a battle royale mode (32 or 64 players) like Fornite island but themed with nintendo worlds as mini areas. Imagine something like World of Light map but in real 3D, like the shoot of Kirby looking into WoL at the intro.

Example; Mario World would be similar to Nintendo’s Universal Land.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's either X or Y I use for jumping generally. Or on the N64 pad, any C-Button. I forget which one in that case.

I generally play with the GameCube Controller or the normal layout that's standard due to it.

SKX31

Smash Master
What certain EX moves would do and how characters that already kind of have this system (Cloud and Joker) would interact with it I dunno, but I think it could be a really good system.
If this is how we get :4cloud: 's specials, which:

• Blade Beam did more shield damage,
  • Limit Cross Slash transitioned between slashes faster, giving people less time to react.
  • Climbhazzard had way more knockback on the downward hit,
  • Charge cancelling would be instant again
  • Oh and Finishing Touch would ignore weight.

Hoo boy.

Oh and as for Joker? I'mma go bonkers:

• Upgrade Gun to Riot Gun, which would increase knockback at the cost of some speed,
  • Upgrades Eiha to Eigaon and Eigaon to Maeigaon, which would effectively coat an area in Eiha,
  • Tether can now choose between pulling the opponent down... or Joker pulling a Byleth.
  • I dunno how to upgrade Rebel's Guard / Tetrakarn because look at this beaut:

And the counterbox is not bad either.

I'm also a tap jump peasant. Hey, it comes down to preference and what one's used to - yes it makes certain aerials and out of shield stuff more difficult, but still there are some people like Nairo who stick with default and make it work.

As far as which button it should replace, I'm looking at X. Close to both A and B on most controllers (with the possible exception being the Gamecube controller), which makes it very easy to pull off even if it's also easy to misinput. It wouldn't be a too big of an adjustment for most people since button jump combinations like L or R+Y is surprisingly common. That and the remapping system in Smash is pretty good anyhow.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
...does anyone use A+B smash attacks? At all? I feel like that's something that could also be removed to free up space for more character mechanics if they so fit. One idea I had for Banjo & Kazooie was using A+B to swap what kind of eggs they use for neutral and down special, with different eggs having different properties. Blue eggs are basic, Fire Eggs deal the most damage, Ice Eggs are weaker but can sometimes freeze, Grenade Eggs work like how they do in Ultimate, etc. Samus could also get something like Ice Mode that Project M gave her, which gives her a bunch of other options to mess around with. Those are just a couple ideas.

I don't think these are absolutely necessary to have on every character but someone having this means more options, and more options is almost always a good thing.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...does anyone use A+B smash attacks? At all? I feel like that's something that could also be removed to free up space for more character mechanics if they so fit. One idea I had for Banjo & Kazooie was using A+B to swap what kind of eggs they use for neutral and down special, with different eggs having different properties. Blue eggs are basic, Fire Eggs deal the most damage, Ice Eggs are weaker but can sometimes freeze, Grenade Eggs work like how they do in Ultimate, etc. Samus could also get something like Ice Mode that Project M gave her, which gives her a bunch of other options to mess around with. Those are just a couple ideas.

I don't think these are absolutely necessary to have on every character but someone having this means more options, and more options is almost always a good thing.
I don't know any who use A+B myself.

...But I tend to use Smash Attacks accurately due to practice, and even use them with a running start instead of doing the Dash Attack. I dunno, it just feels natural? Though to be fair, Ganondorf in Brawl/4 barely feels like he's dashing. <.<;

During an old website I ran(it's on hiatus due to being moved to a new location and some lost data still being found), A+B was used a "Finishing Move", or basically the same concept as the Final Smash. The rule for the website's matches was one per stock. Also, coincidentally Sheik was a separate fighter from Zelda technically(Zelda wasn't on the roster, but Transformation wasn't a thing there, so. This was before Melee even came out. She would've been separate anyway, but they wouldn't show up together because they're the same person. Not sure what I would've done with Dr. Mario, though. But still, funny that).

I'd love to see A+B have some unique use per character. That might be much easier for Inkling to restock their Ink, for instance. Maybe Samus could change Beam types that way(Ice Beam, etc). It could also work for any Stance Fighter to use a different style, or could work just as well for a Transformation Fighter(Pokemon Trainer) to free up Down B.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I don't know any who use A+B myself.

...But I tend to use Smash Attacks accurately due to practice, and even use them with a running start instead of doing the Dash Attack. I dunno, it just feels natural? Though to be fair, Ganondorf in Brawl/4 barely feels like he's dashing. <.<;

During an old website I ran(it's on hiatus due to being moved to a new location and some lost data still being found), A+B was used a "Finishing Move", or basically the same concept as the Final Smash. The rule for the website's matches was one per stock. Also, coincidentally Sheik was a separate fighter from Zelda technically(Zelda wasn't on the roster, but Transformation wasn't a thing there, so. This was before Melee even came out. She would've been separate anyway, but they wouldn't show up together because they're the same person. Not sure what I would've done with Dr. Mario, though. But still, funny that).

I'd love to see A+B have some unique use per character. That might be much easier for Inkling to restock their Ink, for instance. Maybe Samus could change Beam types that way(Ice Beam, etc). It could also work for any Stance Fighter to use a different style, or could work just as well for a Transformation Fighter(Pokemon Trainer) to free up Down B.
I actually love that beam type idea, maybe it's something that affects all of Samus' explosion attacks, like the aforementioned Project M ice mode but on a larger scale. Ice is weaker but has a chance of freezing, Spazer has the most vertical range in exchange for less horizontal reach as well as essentially being three explosions at once, Wave could have the opposite with insane horizontal reach but explosions are replaced with awkward wavy projectiles, and Plasma could be the strongest at the cost of slower frame data. And of course, neutral special is changed to accurately depict the corresponding beam type.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I actually love that beam type idea, maybe it's something that affects all of Samus' explosion attacks, like the aforementioned Project M ice mode but on a larger scale. Ice is weaker but has a chance of freezing, Spazer has the most vertical range in exchange for less horizontal reach as well as essentially being three explosions at once, Wave could have the opposite with insane horizontal reach but explosions are replaced with awkward wavy projectiles, and Plasma could be the strongest at the cost of slower frame data. And of course, neutral special is changed to accurately depict the corresponding beam type.
Indeed. I think it would heavily up Samus' game, while not alienating players either. I mean, they can still play a really good Samus. She's just in spandex. :p

But yeah, there's tons of neat ideas, really. Maybe it could change Mario's projectiles to his other options(Hammers, Ice Balls, or something? I forget all his normal projectiles. I know other projectiles exist, like the Baseballs and American Footballs from the various Chucks, but that's only if you need to really fill it out and they all are unique enough in practice).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I can't tell why but I don't like this idea. I think I would get used to it if they did implemented it though.

As far as which button it should replace, I'm looking at X. Close to both A and B on most controllers (with the possible exception being the Gamecube controller), which makes it very easy to pull off even if it's also easy to misinput. It wouldn't be a too big of an adjustment for most people since button jump combinations like L or R+Y is surprisingly common. That and the remapping system in Smash is pretty good anyhow.
I use X to jump so I would definitely remap if they changed the default to Y.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Indeed. I think it would heavily up Samus' game, while not alienating players either. I mean, they can still play a really good Samus. She's just in spandex. :p

But yeah, there's tons of neat ideas, really. Maybe it could change Mario's projectiles to his other options(Hammers, Ice Balls, or something? I forget all his normal projectiles. I know other projectiles exist, like the Baseballs and American Footballs from the various Chucks, but that's only if you need to really fill it out and they all are unique enough in practice).
could change Mario’s fludd nozzles

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
could change Mario’s fludd nozzles
I wanted him to have a secondary moveset by pressing Down B. XD Using his specials only. But this is way better.

My idea was Down B switches to F.L.U.D.D. mode. Up B is of course the Rocket Nozzle, and maybe you could hold B in the air to use the Hover Nozzle by default. Side B would've been Turbo Nozzle, and regular B is obviously the Squirt Nozzle. He'd run out of Water often enough to leave the mode and return to normal anyway.

I wish it was better than an edgeguarding tool and defeating certain non-player character-based enemies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I wanted him to have a secondary moveset by pressing Down B. XD Using his specials only. But this is way better.

My idea was Down B switches to F.L.U.D.D. mode. Up B is of course the Rocket Nozzle, and maybe you could hold B in the air to use the Hover Nozzle by default. Side B would've been Turbo Nozzle, and regular B is obviously the Squirt Nozzle. He'd run out of Water often enough to leave the mode and return to normal anyway.

I wish it was better than an edgeguarding tool and defeating certain non-player character-based enemies.
Bonus points if the same water meter from Super Mario Sunshine is next to his icon in this mode

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I always use B to jump. Like every platformer ever. You people using the default Smash layout seem insane to me.

...does anyone use A+B smash attacks? At all?
Nope. R-Stick to smash here.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I use X on regular Controllers and Y on Gamecube. I actually bind Grab to the other jump button to make it easier to keep track of. Lets my Index fingers exclusively rest on shield.

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I have both x and left shoulder mapped to jump for different scenarios. I also have 2 special buttons mapped and a dedicated parry button. instead of replacing buttons I think there'd need to be wayyy more macros like shield+b, grab+b, a+b, a+grab etc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom