• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think the Nahabino situation is people projecting past Fire Emblem frustrations and general "JRPG Swordsman" fatigue combined with the "Smash doesn't end on a hype pick" ever mentality all in one go and then the usual suspects who saw Hero get in next to Dragon Quest 11 and are convinced that a promotion has to happen.

Which is a damn shame because SMT is one of the remaining JRPG franchises that makes a lot of sense and has the historical context to be a great pick on its own without all of those unrelated feelings causing that type of pick to be panned if it does happen. Like if it does happen (Which I unfortunately doubt out of my own pessimism and Persona forever being the more mainstream brother), that would 100% be the biggest closer Smash has ever had still lol.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I want Demi-Fiend or Nahobino, and either one would be a satisfying enough character to end on, imo. But, while I've argued how Nahobino could potentially work out in terms of time, I wouldn't say he's super likely or anything. Maybe a bit more likely than most, but at this point it's hard to call any character likely when we've gone over strong reasons why this or that character might get in, only to be blindsided time and time again by characters we didn't think were that likely.

I also support Nahobino out of a love of SMT, not out of pessimistically thinking they'd pick him to shill or anything like that. I suppose the idea of softly future-proofing Smash by adding such a recent character as him, and that Nintendo seems to like adding recent characters, is what makes me think he's got a slight chance. But I like the character, and Smash is lacking SMT content, so I wouldn't be upset if they took this route.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think the Nahabino situation is people projecting past Fire Emblem frustrations and general "JRPG Swordsman" fatigue combined with the "Smash doesn't end on a hype pick" ever mentality all in one go and then the usual suspects who saw Hero get in next to Dragon Quest 11 and are convinced that a promotion has to happen.

Which is a damn shame because SMT is one of the remaining JRPG franchises that makes a lot of sense and has the historical context to be a great pick on its own without all of those unrelated feelings causing that type of pick to be panned if it does happen. Like if it does happen (Which I unfortunately doubt out of my own pessimism and Persona forever being the more mainstream brother), that would 100% be the biggest closer Smash has ever had still lol.
Pretty much this. That, and going by this recent ad for the second Fighter Pass, it seems we're likely going to get at least a Phoenix Wright tier pick
1625972294480.png

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

2003 "Kirby's Air Ride" released today !! A one-button racing game. No, it may be mainly a "city trial" that plays like a miniature garden. It's the last Kirby work I designed for the director / game. It seems to be still very popular, thank you. #Smash Bros SP

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So umm, I read a "leak" that we're getting 2 last updates. Take this as a grain of salt.
12.1.0 will be released in early Fall that will add the Master Hand segment from WoL in Mob Smash, Squad Strike will be in online, and open invites when making rooms.
The other is when the last fighter drops, 13.0.0. However it is unknown who the fighter is but there is a list of Mii Costumes. I'll post the spoiler tag in so if this leak is true or not but here are the last Mii Costumes in Smash Ultimate presumably.
Chun-Li, Guile, Crash, Lara Croft, and the SMTV protagonist

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

2003 "Kirby's Air Ride" released today !! A one-button racing game. No, it may be mainly a "city trial" that plays like a miniature garden. It's the last Kirby work I designed for the director / game. It seems to be still very popular, thank you. #Smash Bros SP

Today is also the anniversary of Mr. Iwata's death.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
So umm, I read a "leak" that we're getting 2 last updates. Take this as a grain of salt.
12.1.0 will be released in early Fall that will add the Master Hand segment from WoL in Mob Smash, Squad Strike will be in online, and open invites when making rooms.
The other is when the last fighter drops, 13.0.0. However it is unknown who the fighter is but there is a list of Mii Costumes. I'll post the spoiler tag in so if this leak is true or not but here are the last Mii Costumes in Smash Ultimate presumably.
I don't know the fighter but somehow know all the Mii costumes and they're mostly the characters people are talking about the most right now!
Seems legit.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Pretty much this. That, and going by this recent ad for the second Fighter Pass, it seems we're likely going to get at least a Phoenix Wright tier pickView attachment 322341
What in that ad indicates anything about FP11?
With the first two Miis I guess the "leaker" is hoping we'd deduce that the fighter is from Capcom.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Kirby Air Ride remastered when? And Smash Run back when?

Today is also the anniversary of Mr. Iwata's death.
Well...........that went from bright to sad real fast...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's no way anyone working at Nintendo treehouse have any clue who is the last fighter.
...Which does kind of check out with why... they don't know who it is but somehow knows the Costumes?

Got another load of crap. I mean, it's a semi-believable Mii costume lineup on its own, but yeah, another one for the pile of fakes.

At least someone tried to fake the WoL thing, which to be fair, is a very popular idea. So overall, very run of the mill.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Shin Megami Tensei is just a matter of when it’ll happen instead of an if it’ll happen imo.

Its a massive JRPG franchise, something Smash loves including. It is owned by Sega, one of the companies supporting Smash the most.

Another Member of the Megaten Franchise has already got in, that being Persona.

Its hard to imagine it not eventually being included.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Tbh I don't think I've ever seen anyone being "overly optimistic" about a SMT character, as in fans considering SMT as a lock. I've seen that with a few Hayabusa fans, but SMT? Not in my experience.
It's definitely a recent thing. One E3 trailer and suddenly a bunch of people think this character that didn't exist when the DLC was decided actually has a shot.

The character must be M. Bison then.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The thing with Nahobino being FP11 is that it requires way too many assumptions for me to possibly believe in, or rather gambles on part of Nintendo.
  1. Nintendo would pick a JRPG character to finish the pass
  2. They'd pick the Atlus subsidiary of Sega
  3. They'd pick SMT of all their franchises, ignoring the potential sales of a second Persona character opting for the cult classic niche JRPG which has never even remotely pierced the mainstream.
  4. They'd then also pick a character from a game yet to be released or even fully shown off to the world.
  5. Then if they did pick that character, that would then imply that Atlus would be able to provide character concepts, enough to make an entire fighting game character out of.
I don't especially see it happening, at least now. If SMTV turns out to be a Persona 5/FE Awakening/Nier Automata style breakout hit, I could see it happening for Smash 6 at most.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The thing with Nahobino being FP11 is that it requires way too many assumptions for me to possibly believe in, or rather gambles on part of Nintendo.
  1. Nintendo would pick a JRPG character to finish the pass
  2. They'd pick the Atlus subsidiary of Sega
  3. They'd pick SMT of all their franchises, ignoring the potential sales of a second Persona character opting for the cult classic niche JRPG which has never even remotely pierced the mainstream.
  4. They'd then also pick a character from a game yet to be released or even fully shown off to the world.
  5. Then if they did pick that character, that would then imply that Atlus would be able to provide character concepts, enough to make an entire fighting game character out of.
I don't especially see it happening, at least now. If SMTV turns out to be a Persona 5, FE Awakening, Nier Automata style breakout hit, I could see it happening for Smash 6.
Eh, number 1 is probably one of the most likely assumptions you can make about a Smash fighter statistically speaking. Number 2 isn't really more or less likely than any other company. And number 3 ignores the fact that in 13 years we've had a grand total of one third party franchise with multiple unique newcomers, so if anything it's a second Persona character that's unlikely. That leaves only 4 and 5 as the stars that need to align, which granted is still quite a bit.

There's a bit of a lottery paradox going on in general. With one slot left and dozens of characters that could take the spot, it stands to reason that any given character is unlikely. However, the fact remains that one character will take the spot. Therefore, it's a logical necessity that something unlikely will happen. Hence why we have to at least humor the possibility of Nahobino and other characters for whom the stars would have to align; for one of them, they will.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
that would be this 4chan thread that died with less than 10 replies?

it's no "Pirahna Plant is the last fighter" that's for sure

FreeFox

Smash Lord
No images? No videos? No aproximate dates for anything? I dont care if this leak is right or wrong but its so boring.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
It seems like a fake leak, it's too early to know what the Mii Costumes are.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
The fake part is the implication that they'd be adding a new mode when Sakurai said home run contest would probably be the last one.

That and it perpetuating the idea that we'll be waiting more than 4 months for 11.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This is fake, but i'm gonna guess the character the mii costumes are trying to hint at is Morrigan Dalkstalker. There aren't any notable street fighter reps left after that bloodbath, but it would have to be a capcom fighting game character. morrigan fits the bill.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
This is fake, but i'm gonna guess the character the mii costumes are trying to hint at is Morrigan Dalkstalker. There aren't any notable street fighter reps left after that bloodbath, but it would have to be a capcom fighting game character. morrigan fits the bill.
I actually don't think this mii wave would actually tell us anything even if it were real. We've gotten several capcom waves at this point, so you can't go and say "oh certainly the fifth one must come with a fighter!" because that's just false.

There not being a Shovel Knight mii kills it though

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Here's a question I'm not sure has been asked, but has speculation soured your opinions on characters or their chances of inclusion? For me at least, it's Waluigi. I don't hate the character (only character I genuinely hated that was speculated for Smash was Heihachi, but he was deconfirmed) but I found the meme culture that surrounded him obnoxious on top of being constantly harassed about my thinking Waluigi is out because his AT's been consistent for 3 games straight while the AT upgrade characters (Little Mac, Dark Samus, and Isabelle) were one timers and didn't come back with their ATs when they got playable.
Master Chief for me personally. I agree he is an icon of gaming, but it seems like he always gets a free pass when it comes to all the fan rules that are put into place. I see people say things like "One rep from a company per pass" then also talk about how Master Chief is still possible. Usually the argument just boils down to "Oh but Master Chief is iconic enough for that to not matter". I get that there are technicalities with Steve being Mojang but he is still obviously a Microsoft character. This was especially frustrating after Sephiroth's reveal when everyone reacted like every Square character was dead while still acting like Master Chief was a possibility for E3. Master Chief has just started to represent a lot of the problems I have with speculation where either consciously or subconsciously, rules and theories are twisted in a biased way for or against someone's personal interests.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I hope this is real purely for the 12.1.0 thing.

Edit: Honestly, the online stuff doesn't matter that much to me; the Master Hand thing is what I really want.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don’t dislike characters because of Smash discussion, but there are exactly six characters I’d categorize as speculation memes at this point: Dante, Crash, Sora, Master Chief, Rayman, and Ryu Hayabusa. And honestly I feel bad even putting Rayman up there because he’s the most astroturfed character I’ve ever seen.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I don’t dislike characters because of Smash discussion, but there are exactly six characters I’d categorize as speculation memes at this point: Dante, Crash, Sora, Master Chief, Rayman, and Ryu Hayabusa. And honestly I feel bad even putting Rayman up there because he’s the most astroturfed character I’ve ever seen.
Astroturfed, what does that even mean?

Also don't forget Doom Slayer.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Pretty much this. That, and going by this recent ad for the second Fighter Pass, it seems we're likely going to get at least a Phoenix Wright tier pickView attachment 322341
It's great that you love Nick but this means literally nothing, not just the ad, but 'Phoenix Wright tier', do we count that as an underdog? A big Smash request? A character with a new game coming soon?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
The western character requests I see are pretty much platformer cartoony scrimbo blimbos or first person shooty guys.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

I wish this game would get a sequel...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
See, what makes that leak fake to me is the "will add Squad strike to online" part.

Like, that'd actually be a really good thing to do for Ultimate's online, and we all know we can't have nice things with Ultimate's online. :4pacman:
Having to load characters in every time someone dies probably would be too strenuous for Ultimate's online, no joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom