• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I prefer Doomguy as a guest fighter in Mortal Kombat which would fit him well due to too much gore and violence.
He doesn't need to come with gore in order to get in Smash though

As a MK player myself, I'd prefer it if he was in Smash. Not only because of the man himself, but the other content that would come with him (banger metal OSTs and the stage).

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I will say that even with the few bites of Bethesda stuff in the game right now it’s a bit of a shock Doom isn’t in there anywhere and that’s probably the most speculated Bethesda character, easily.

Doesn’t really mean anything but it is ironic.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I will say that even with the few bites of Bethesda stuff in the game right now it’s a bit of a shock Doom isn’t in there anywhere and that’s probably the most speculated Bethesda character, easily.

Doesn’t really mean anything but it is ironic.
It makes a bit more sense when you realize that all the Bethesda content is from the main Bethesda dev team. Doom is from id which is a subsidiary (and was acquired).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The western character requests I see are pretty much platformer cartoony scrimbo blimbos or first person shooty guys.
And? As is, this statement is a weird generalization that just says "I hate the commonly requested western characters".

No punch women.
This statement's relevance to Super Smash Bros. has already been debunked due to its contradiction to a prior statement about the creator liking the idea of Kiryu in the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And? As is, this statement is a weird generalization that just says "I hate the commonly requested western characters".

This statement's relevance to Super Smash Bros. has already been debunked due to its contradiction to a prior statement about the creator liking the idea of Kiryu in the game.
Mamboo just likes stirring the pot, don't take him seriously. If you think I'm being mean, he literally likes posts that point this out

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
The last character is Fi. In order to promote Skyward Sword HD, have some Zelda representation, and to replace Leif from Fire Emblem Thracia 776 as the original last character.

Jokes aside I think Fi could be cool for moveset potential but would work better as a basegame pick

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

I though that was real.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Saw some discussion about the hype question and personally I think we’re already shoving goalposts from “The pass will wind down in hype after One Winged Minecraft“ to “specifically the final character will be the ultimate hypeshrinker, more specifically a character I personally like and thus not a character I know other people like but I dislike” (which I still think is an interestimg campaign maneuvre by Nelson) . Kazuya is already not exactly low on the hype scale and the only possible reason I can see why the final character could be a step down is if they go the “Game people are playing right now” route to follow in the footsteps of Corrin and Byleth, which leads us right back to the “Nintendo characters must be recent or they’re useless to us” train of thought or to the more cynical Nahobino type picks.

Stratos

Smash Ace
If they put Kazuya in the next Super Smash Bros. game, I want to put and his son the Jin Kazama as well.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's great that you love Nick but this means literally nothing, not just the ad, but 'Phoenix Wright tier', do we count that as an underdog? A big Smash request? A character with a new game coming soon?
Like I said, the character is likely one that's at least a mid-tier reveal. A character that fans have requested, but would be considered controversial and not another "shill pick" that people are dreading even though Smash historically never ended on "shill picks". Brawl had Sonic be the last character developed for the game in question and Bayonetta was the last character made for Smash 4

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Like I said, the character is likely one that's at least a mid-tier reveal. A character that fans have requested, but would be considered controversial and not another "shill pick" that people are dreading even though Smash historically never ended on "shill picks". Brawl had Sonic be the last character developed for the game in question and Bayonetta was the last character made for Smash 4
Although technically Bayonetta was released alongside an actual shillpick, Corrin. I consider them both to be the final characters of Smash 4 because they were released simultaneously.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Do we know if the event tournaments deconfirm specific types of characters because I see a lot of people on 4chan these days saying that the next character will have a weapon apart of their standard attacks because kazuya’s tournament is for characters that have no weapons in their standard attacks.

Before anyone says anything about 4chan, these aren’t leaks, it’s just people bringing this stuff up because they think tournament’s deconfirm certain characters or franchises so I was just wondering do we know if tournaments deconfirm specific characters/franchises/movesets etc or not. Do we have any evidence to debunk this stuff.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Do we know if the event tournaments deconfirm specific types of characters because I see a lot of people on 4chan these days saying that the next character will have a weapon apart of their standard attacks because kazuya’s tournament is for characters that have no weapons in their standard attacks.

Before anyone says anything about 4chan, these aren’t leaks, it’s just people bringing this stuff up because they think tournament’s deconfirm certain characters or franchises so I was just wondering do we know if tournaments deconfirm specific characters/franchises/movesets etc or not. Do we have any evidence to debunk this stuff.
Not really. We've had tournaments like the 90's characters one and villains where Sephiroth would've fit in for example, but he was added well after both of those tournaments ended.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman

No confirmation, I don't know how it would be possible to confirm it. It makes a bit of sense, in a similar way that getting a Dante Mii skin now probably means Dante isn't FP11; getting a puncher event could also suggest they're not adding another puncher so soon after.

But at the same time sometimes the pattern doesn't work. Like there's tourny events for the different decades, the most recent one being the 2010s. Does that mean we're not getting a 2010 character as FP11? Probably not, because Nintendo have done the decade events since the 80s, so that probably doesn't mean anything.

I think some patterns are stronger than others, like Mii costumes and 1 spot per pass per third party company. But a lot of other things might not mean anything, and are just the way they are by the Smash team wanting some variety. Basically if there was sword event tourny and the last character happend to have a sword, I wouldn't be too surprised.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
No confirmation, I don't know how it would be possible to confirm it. It makes a bit of sense, in a similar way that getting a Dante Mii skin now probably means Dante isn't FP11; getting a puncher event could also suggest they're not adding another puncher so soon after.

But at the same time sometimes the pattern doesn't work. Like there's tourny events for the different decades, the most recent one being the 2010s. Does that mean we're not getting a 2010 character as FP11? Probably not, because Nintendo have done the decade events since the 80s, so that probably doesn't mean anything.

I think some patterns are stronger than others, like Mii costumes and 1 spot per pass per third party company. But a lot of other things might not mean anything, and are just the way they are by the Smash team wanting some variety. Basically if there was sword event tourny and the last character happend to have a sword, I wouldn't be too surprised.
Been thinking about it and now that I actually think about it they probably don’t actually fully deconfirm. I just remembered we got an event for characters who use electric a few months before kazuya’s reveal and kazuya uses electric in one of his moves.

Then there was the pyra and myphra event which was about transformations and characters with different looks which kazuya has because he has the devil form and then Steve’s tournament before Sephiroph was about characters using tools which Sephiroth does so yeah this is probably nothing now that I think about it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok but 1: Sonic was easily the most requested character period at that point and 2: That doesn't answer how you supposedly got that from an ad

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don’t dislike characters because of Smash discussion, but there are exactly six characters I’d categorize as speculation memes at this point: Dante, Crash, Sora, Master Chief, Rayman, and Ryu Hayabusa. And honestly I feel bad even putting Rayman up there because he’s the most astroturfed character I’ve ever seen.
I really don't like the idea of characters being dismissed as "meme picks" (or in this case, speculation memes) - maybe I'm misinterpreting what that phrase means, but I saw it brought up with Ridley (along with a few other characters, whether they ultimately made it into the game or not), and it seems like calling a character a "meme" is dismissing their support or claiming that it's illegitimate/not serious.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Ok but 1: Sonic was easily the most requested character period at that point and 2: That doesn't answer how you supposedly got that from an ad
Facebook ads aren't cheap. It would be one thing if Nintendo was just using their Twitter accounts which wouldn't cost them a thing and if it were just a friendly reminder there's one fighter left. It indicates that they have some degree of confidence

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Facebook ads aren't cheap. It would be one thing if Nintendo was just using their Twitter accounts which wouldn't cost them a thing and if it were just a friendly reminder there's one fighter left. It indicates that they have some degree of confidence
Nintendo can definitely afford Facebook ads. All this tells us is that they want people to buy a product they are selling, which is fairly obvious. If you want people to buy something you'd advertise it, it's not like they didn't advertise smash at the end of 2019 because some people might not like Byleth.

Nintendo, a massive company, advertising an upcoming product on a massive platform where loads of people will see it means literally nothing.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I really do think FP11 is gonna be a solid choice that won't knock everyone's socks off, but will be a decent resolution that does a good job at wrapping things up. I don't have confidence on who exactly it would be, but I do think they'll fit this description.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It feels like a bit of a weird impasse with speculation. On one hand patterns, histories, and general tendencies with fighter selection are the backbone of Smash theories, but on the other hand so many particular expectations and consistencies have been broken and the final fighter is one that realistically couldn't/wouldn't have to fit in any boxes that earlier characters might that more than ever it feels like open guesswork as to whom it might be. Even the nature of final fighters in the past doesn't feel like it can be entirely crafted onto this one given how much of a contrast this DLC (and Nintendo's overall business model) is today.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Even the nature of final fighters in the past doesn't feel like it can be entirely crafted onto this one given how much of a contrast this DLC (and Nintendo's overall business model) is today.
I think that's just an excuse to not think smaller. Just because rules keep being broken doesn't mean we didn't get a big TGA reveal and smaller reveals in non-E3 Directs.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I saw someone say that there’s no way we’d wait over 4 months for CP11.
Mind you that we had to wait 6 months between knowing that Joker was CP1 and that Hero was CP2.
Also, good morning/afternoon/evening, y’all.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Fighter 11's formal release might take some time, but I'd be genuinely shocked if they weren't shown off in the Fall Direct circa September. Revealed then and coming out in October is about as long as I expect, especially given that even the longest wait ever between characters within the same pass releasing was indeed just under four months (Pyra/Mythra to Kazuya) and even that could be somewhat attributed to the late winter Nintendo Direct happening earlier than usual this year.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's definitely a recent thing. One E3 trailer and suddenly a bunch of people think this character that didn't exist when the DLC was decided actually has a shot.
I mean, yeah. It was at E3 when we learned more about him and his transformation. We already saw him though, and I clearly remember people speculating he could be our SMT rep for Pass 2, but that was a minority and as I said, just speculation. So the whole thing didn't really started after the E3 trailer.

The character has obviously existed for a long time. If by existing you mean "known by the public", then the protagonist was technically known since 2017. We didn't see his face, but he clearly appears here accompanied by a girl.

And people suddenly talking more about him, well it's natural, his game got a big trailer and a release date, then you have people assuming the final DLC will be either a shill pick or not a big name, and SMTV comes soon so it kinda fits.

Though I wouldn't be mad, if anything, just surprised because as I said I'd expect Demi-fiend first, not Nahobino. But at the same time, I don't think he's as impossible as some believe, just unlikely because while timing-wise I think it's possible, it would certainly require some things to be properly aligned, and because there are other options such as Demi-fiend or maybe even Flynn from SMT IV.

But EricTheGamerman probably explained the whole thing better than me:

I think the Nahabino situation is people projecting past Fire Emblem frustrations and general "JRPG Swordsman" fatigue combined with the "Smash doesn't end on a hype pick" ever mentality all in one go and then the usual suspects who saw Hero get in next to Dragon Quest 11 and are convinced that a promotion has to happen.

Which is a damn shame because SMT is one of the remaining JRPG franchises that makes a lot of sense and has the historical context to be a great pick on its own without all of those unrelated feelings causing that type of pick to be panned if it does happen. Like if it does happen (Which I unfortunately doubt out of my own pessimism and Persona forever being the more mainstream brother), that would 100% be the biggest closer Smash has ever had still lol.
I 100% agree with this post.

I understand that for others, he would feel like a shill pick or a bad pick because he's a super recent character and all of that. But I genuinely like him, which is more than what I can say for a lot of videogame characters, old or new. But let's gonna be honest, even if they went with Demi-fiend or another SMT protag that isn't Nahobino, most folks would still complain or consider the choice as a shill pick because the series has a new game coming out soon.

Basically, I doubt most non-SMT fans really care about who they add to rep the series. The only difference if they went with Nahobino is that some folks would have an easier justification to call the character a shill pick, but they would still do it if they picked a different SMT representative.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I saw someone say that there’s no way we’d wait over 4 months for CP11.
Mind you that we had to wait 6 months between knowing that Joker was CP1 and that Hero was CP2.
Also, good morning/afternoon/evening, y’all.
We did at least get Piranha Plant and Joker himself releasing in that timeframe, and now I don't expect a very long gap between reveals anymore unless the fighter has an extremely complex moveset.

D

Deleted member

Here's a question I'm not sure has been asked, but has speculation soured your opinions on characters or their chances of inclusion? For me at least, it's Waluigi. I don't hate the character (only character I genuinely hated that was speculated for Smash was Heihachi, but he was deconfirmed) but I found the meme culture that surrounded him obnoxious on top of being constantly harassed about my thinking Waluigi is out because his AT's been consistent for 3 games straight while the AT upgrade characters (Little Mac, Dark Samus, and Isabelle) were one timers and didn't come back with their ATs when they got playable.
My tastes aren't so much soured as it is disinterested in seeing a lot of characters in Smash due to how people within the Smash community talk about them so much it makes their inclusion feel a lot less big to me than it otherwise could be. From Crash, Geno, Sora, Master Chief, Dante, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, Rayman, Lloyd, Assist Trophies, and pretty much every 1st Party Character out there just aren't interesting to me at all and get talked about so much it makes me not have any strong feelings for them possibly being the last character. Even Hayabusa who used to be my most wanted character doesn't interest me as much anymore even if I still want to see him in Smash. There are some characters who are talked about a good bunch like Doom Slayer and Reimu, but unlike the 1s I listed, my feelings are so neutral about them it makes me not lean in either direction of interests I have for them.

Really, my tastes go towards a lot of characters who aren't brought up so much around the community. Even though Final Fantasy and Tekken are incredibly popular series people bring up when talking about Smash, I can appreciate Sephiroth and Kazuya for being fairly unexpected since not a whole lot of people discussed them being possibilities, and even if Sephiroth did have a decent amount of discussions around him before, there were way less discussions around him after Hero was revealed up to his reveal last December. The 2 characters I'm hoping would end Ultimate are not talked about so much because people dismiss Dynasty Warriors off the bat since they see Ninja Gaiden as the way more prominent title from Koei-Tecmo to have content in Smash (even if it's not their "biggest" series in their library) and Hades is a relatively new game that hasn't caught too much attention from Smash fans. Even before then, I was really hoping for Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon to be added to Smash because they were stupidly low balled in comparison to a whole lot of characters despite being around the starting generation of video games and representing a genre that has yet to be in Smash. I don't expect them at all now since Pyra and Mythra are the 2 for 1 Challenger Pack, so it's a shame they're probably not going to be in Smash at this point because they would've been such great additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom