• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Those are spirit events though, not tournament events. I personally don’t think they deconfirm specific move sets or character but i see a lot on 4chan saying that the events between a character and the next deconfirm specific types of movesets and was wondering if we have any evidence to debunk that.
srry for my dyslexic ass
They are similar in nature though, and tbf, I don't see that many people playing them (because online)

I don't think it's a 100% deconfirmation, and after Heihachi's mii, most smaller things such as tournaments, spirit events or mii patterns seem very trivial at this point.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Phoenix Wright would be wonderful! Those games exude style and would make for one of the most entertaining reveal trailers ever! The style, all the things! Make him a Dragon Quest Hero style character and throw Edgeworth, Apollo and Athena in as alts. That would definitely be a hype way to go out (even if Waluigi is still my bet).

We gotta gatekeep Eggman though... he killed Spongebob at Burger King! Say no to Eggman!

Burger Kill.png

Phoenix Wright did NOT kill Spongebob at Burger King, therefore he is good!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't really see a Capcom newcomer at all right now. Basically all of their most popular franchises have been deconfirmed.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
The grass ghost owl of Gen 7 as well.
If I recall correctly Decidueye, Mimikyu and Lycanroc were the most popular pokemon picks before the Grinch bandwagon came and then people though pokemon wouldnt get a new character.

Incineroar wasnt popular in discussions.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Phoenix Wright trailer idea.

It's a court room. The usual blathering and gaffel slam and such. They're yammering about the wherabouts of the attorneys. Where were they?

The court has determined that Phoenix Wright IS IN SUPER SMASH BROS!

Gameplay montage

OBJECTION!
How could Phoenix Wright be in Super Smash Bros.... when MILES EDGEWORTH IS IN SUPER SMASH BROS? (ALT REVEALED)

Gameplay montage

HOLD IT!
That can't be, because Apollo Justice is in Super Smash Bros! (alt revealed!)

TAKE THAT!
You people are preposterous! It's Athena Cykes that was last seen in Super Smash Bros! (Alt Revealed)

The Judge in his usual shock and disbelief: "Could it be that... all four of them are in Super Smash Bros?"

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still say the idea of Phoenix's reveal trailer being Joker standing in trial having which the Smash invitation he had in his trailer was Phoenix's which he stole is the best way to do it. Passes began with Joker and ends with him being involved with the last fighter in the passes.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Phoenix always made more sense to me than Dante.
His series was a big one during the GBA/DS era, and thus he's got way more history with Nintendo than Dante does.

Also, adding on to Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester 's last post, right above mine, Joker stealing his invite and being the 1st CP, with Phoenix taking back what was stolen and being the last CP, would be poetic.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata. Your legacy will never be forgotten.

KKa02Ht.jpg

By ruistyfles on Deviantart

By @peachbunnii on Twitter

5f0.png

By quas-quas on Deviantart

2015-07-13-tributetomriwata.png

By Matthew Toranto of Brawl in the Family

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata. Your legacy will never be forgotten.

View attachment 322365
By ruistyfles on Deviantart

By @peachbunnii on Twitter

View attachment 322366
By quas-quas on Deviantart

View attachment 322367
By Matthew Toranto of Brawl in the Family
Ooooooof I did not need to cry today :c

FreeFox

Smash Lord
He was, in Japan, iirc.

Or, at least, popular in general.
Incineroar was in a pretty awkward position for base discussion for a few reasons.
1. It wasnt the most wanted of all the gen 7 pokemon at least as far I could see in discussions. (This is coming from someone that wanted him)
2. It was a leaked character from Vergeben and Verge has a lot of haters. (I am not going to discuss whether the the hate is deserved or not)
3. It went against the Grinch leak since he wasnt part of the mural.
4. It became part of the infamous Kencineroar duo and became a key point in favor of the (at the time) controversial box theory.

Basically, Incineroar became enemy to the fans of all the grinch leak characters and the other popular pokemon picks. And then by those that hated Verge or the box theory.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Y'know, mocking people for having a different opinion isn't gonna make people agree with you. More than anything it just makes you come off as a jerk and makes everyone else miserable
Probably should had been more clear with my post that it was in a more joking matter. I was poking fun over the fact Dante was a more requested character and the fact the more requested a character, the better their chances were.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Bu-b-but Dante was a bigger request!!!! The more fan demand, better the chance amIrite!?
"Guys! Let's send death threats to Sakurai-san so that he can finally add WAHHHHHHLUIGI into Smash! It'll totally work! We shall get what we want because we are stupid anti-social a**hats that only care about ourselves and have no life! PPPPOOOOOOGGGGG"

was that too much lol

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Probably should had been more clear with my post that it was in a more joking matter. I was poking fun over the fact Dante was a more requested character and the fact the more requested a character, the better their chances were.
It’s just… you gotta be mindful of the tone you put across in such “jokes” ya know

it can come across as… not very nice

like if you’re being sarcastic you can end it with /s

or my personal preferences of :4pacman: or :secretkpop:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Phoenix Wright trailer idea.

It's a court room. The usual blathering and gaffel slam and such. They're yammering about the wherabouts of the attorneys. Where were they?

The court has determined that Phoenix Wright IS IN SUPER SMASH BROS!

Gameplay montage

OBJECTION!
How could Phoenix Wright be in Super Smash Bros.... when MILES EDGEWORTH IS IN SUPER SMASH BROS? (ALT REVEALED)

Gameplay montage

HOLD IT!
That can't be, because Apollo Justice is in Super Smash Bros! (alt revealed!)

TAKE THAT!
You people are preposterous! It's Athena Cykes that was last seen in Super Smash Bros! (Alt Revealed)

The Judge in his usual shock and disbelief: "Could it be that... all four of them are in Super Smash Bros?"
Have A Look!

dramatic sounds while zooming to each character

And then...

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I find the way people try to use YouTube videos as metrics of character popularity to be woefully inconsiderate of the circumstances in which major trailers debuted and why some videos may have less views than others. Like, a lot of Smash characters debuted in big Directs that already had a ton of people watching and that's how they saw the announcement trailer as opposed to someone like Min Min or Steve who just kind of debuted in their own specific events with some pre-hype. Joker came in The Game Awards totally unannounced whereas Sephiroth was announced as a "new character reveal for Smash" the morning of. People watching those events are in the millions at times, but they won't directly contribute to watching a newcomer video. Similarly, YouTube's algorithm makes it so certain videos that are not the official video appear at the top of search queues. Like Banjo & Kazooie's trailer appears via GameSpot trailers before the official Smash Bros one if you just search "Banjo Smash". You'd have to theoretically cross reference all the views of these videos as opposed to cherry picking the official trailer to get a somewhat complete understanding of YouTube views on trailers... and even then, it still doesn't consider the live events/streams/etc.

Not to mention, YouTube views can just be the same person watching the same trailer over and over again. Numerous people have said "Oh I watched the Banjo & Kazooie trailer 10 times and I can't stop watching it" or some version of that for a character they like. Sure those are die hard fans, but it's an area that calls into question the validity of the "data" when drawing conclusions.

Like I get people are looking for justification for their arguments and there isn't much in the way of data for DLC fighters, so bad data is something to latch on to, but like I said, I think using YouTube views to draw certain conclusions is entirely misplaced.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
But the demand for Phoenix and Dante is pretty comparable, though. Maybe if you were comparing Dante to a different Capcom character like Viewtiful Joe it would work, but you're talking about Phoenix Wright. The dude whose series has thrived in Nintendo consoles since its inception and was the de-facto "Capcom character for Smash" after Mega-Man till Monster Hunter became a juggernaut and Nintendo fans learned about Devil May Cry.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
But the demand for Phoenix and Dante is pretty comparable, though. Maybe if you were comparing Dante to a different Capcom character like Viewtiful Joe it would work, but you're talking about Phoenix Wright. The dude whose series has thrived in Nintendo consoles since its inception and was the de-facto "Capcom character for Smash" after Mega-Man till Monster Hunter became a juggernaut and Nintendo fans learned about Devil May Cry.
I was always under the impression Dante was the more popular request almost up there with the likes of Crash and Sora. Also took it that Devil May Cry was one of Capcom's more popular franchises alongside Street Fighter, Mega Man, and Resident Evil if not close.

Rather content to know this now that they've been under the same boat in terms of requests.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I was always under the impression Dante was the more popular request almost up there with the likes of Crash and Sora.
Twitter and YouTube probably made you think that.
No, really.

Dante was a character that non-polite and pushy and impatient fans were pushing for non-stop, to the point of pure annoyance.
e.g. "Trash reveal, where's Dante?"

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Twitter and YouTube probably made you think that.
No, really.

Dante was a character that non-polite and pushy and impatient fans were pushing for non-stop, to the point of pure annoyance.
e.g. "Trash reveal, where's Dante?"
Guess all the memes of "What the hell" and "Featuring Dante" made me think he was up there with Street Fighter, Mega Man, Resident Evil, and Monster Hunter it seems.

Not to say the series still isn't popular because it is, guess isn't as much as I thought it once was.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean, the franchise is up there for sure.
WITH Ace Attorney.

I think I've had enough Capcom talk for one day haha
And as I mentioned I thought until now it was far more popular then Ace Attorney. Still content to know they're both rather equal in popularity.

Can't say the same for Okami and Darkstalkers (Give me a Kushtaka-based character for a potential fourth game god dammit!) though...

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Picture the scene. The last trailer opens up and we see a bunch of heroes at the back down injured with mewtwo and dark pit down at the front with sonic just about getting up getting up.

Sonic gives a stare forward to darkhon who has his eye set on sonic as he’s the only one standing and then prepares to attack.

As the charge is building up sonic clenches his fist as he prepares to fight back but then all of a sudden we see explosions start to happen to darkhons weird tentacle looking arms and darkhon falls. We see in the distance someone hovering up in the sky and then i am all I am starts playing.

Splash screen appears and says “shadow the hedgehog faces the ultimate battle”. He starts to ramble on about how he’s come to claim his position as the ultimate life form as it cuts into game play footage.

Trailer ends with everyone down and shadow speeding off.

How do you react if this was the last reveal and what’s everyone’s dream trailer reveal

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Imagine if we do get a Ace Attorney character but instead of Phoenix Wright being the main alt it's Ryunosuke to promote The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles like the Luminary with Dragon Quest 11 being the main alt.

I think he would be a cool alt anyways if Phoenix does ever get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom