• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Invoking the ballot era when talking about Capcom characters and overlooking the popularity Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe had is letting their current subdued demand retroactively bleed into an era in which people thought Nintendo relevance was very important.

Raising Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter without them is half the picture for that time period.
Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe would be fun picks too, and both have more than enough content to work with for both the DLC spirit board and music tracks. It's just Phoenix is the current Capcom front runner after Dante and the Monster Hunters were out

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You put alot of effort into this, Loving it

What I will say though is a Couple of things

-In terms of Sakurai going back at his word, he has done that but not in such a short timespan. When Sakurai declined those characters, he meant it for the current game being worked on (which was Brawl for Majority of the characters, and Ridley for Smash 4 also.) He reconsidered the ideas years later for New games

Him saying CP11 is final character of Smash Ultimate, even now doesn't bring much hope in FP3. Sakurai and Nintendo might likely communicate about potential FP3

I guess the best argument you could say is that maybe Nintendo would decide to do FP3 without the Guidance of Sakurai and the Developers, as that was what was done when DLC was greenlit around Janauary of 2018

-Some of the Arguementive points aren't the best, as alot rely on rumors and such, each with varying levels of crediablity.

One thing I will say is that Projectile glitch you mentioned for Chief was actually disproven. It's been in the game since launch

The leak surrounding Matoi also listed Ryu as a fighter, yet he's not listed as among FP2 or FP3 in your list

I wouldn't look to much to Xander saying alot of fruit names for Paya. The Fruit was likely just to make sure he doesn't read too much into the names

Why Lloyd Bannings? I thought Rean was the main character, and also most popular Falcom character, or one of them

And I wish to hear explantion on why you think Tabuu could be bonus. yes
I wouldn’t list Matoi without Hayabusa, who was explicitly shot down

I feel like this is an amalgamation of many fighter leaks over the years, barring anyone explicitly deconfirmed by the copyright holders such as Hayabusa and Doomguy.

Idk where BOTW but not Champions/Velvet came from tho

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe would be fun picks too, and both have more than enough content to work with for both the DLC spirit board and music tracks. It's just Phoenix is the current Capcom front runner after Dante and the Monster Hunters were out
But Chun-Li tho.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Alright kids. BET YOUR BURGER KING! Who's the final fighter?

BURGER KING IS ONE THE LINE! WHO'S GONNA LOSE THEIR BURGER KING?

1 King Betcha.png

I'm betting my Burger King on Waluigi.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd be curious to see what's Sega's input/interest in Smash is at this point. A number of characters from SMT are obvious picks for DLC, but given how much the former has begun to revitalize/re-introduced its various franchises again, it does make me wonder if they hypothetically if would negotiate for other IP's to get in specifically because there's a long term interest in getting attention on them just as much as there is with Shin Megami Tensei.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not too certain who the last fighter will be but I'm thinking it'll be a 1st party of some form, possibily a promotional pick (Notably Octoling or Pearl & Marina to promote Splatoon 3). Between that or a Phoenix Wright-tier 3rd party.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What’s everyone’s dream trailer reveal
I will answer this.

Alright so Megaman and Samus are shooting their weapons down a narrow futuristic hallway, trying to fend off their unseen enemy. You see a lightning bolt narrowly miss Samus' helmet and chip a piece of metal from it as the slow motion camera pans to show how close it was to her face. Megaman then puts all of his strength into his forward smash and delivers a fully charged mega buster shot through the hallway as Samus and Megaman try to run for it, hoping the buster shot was enough to distract their fierce new enemy. They run through the halls until they reach the main portal bridge. Megaman and Samus look back and see a bunch of grotesque looking aliens with scythes for hands and have a gaping mouth for a face with protruding fangs sticking out like they're about to shoot out from their mouths, galloping like horses or jumping around like monkeys without any consistency behind their movement charge towards our heroes. In a quick second decision! Samus shoots the locks on the door and the aliens are locked out, just short of reaching the room as one of them gets crushed between it's double doors.

Both Megaman and Samus take a breather and discover they're in a portal room with the portal hovering over a circular bridge with a total of 10 floating green crystals, all circling around the control panel like it's a merry-go-round. Samus inspects the portal while Megaman is intrigued by the green crystals. As Megaman attempts to touch one of the crystals, both him and Samus hear a big knock from the door they just closed. The aliens! They breaking through! Just as the door breaks open, catching our two heroes by surprise, a grenade pops out through the portal at the last second and an explosion blinds everyone. When Megaman and Samus both open their eyes, they look around to see all of the aliens that tried to attack them, floating in mid air as if something sent them flying and froze them in time.

"YEAH!!!"

A deep voice shouts from behind, startling both Samus and Megaman! They look and see a Space Marine with weird eye goggles, waiting to do a pose at the right time for a dramatic effect. His next choice of words and his pose?

"IT'S TIME TO SPLIT!!!"

Time to Split compressed 2.gif

CORTEZ JOINS THE FIGHT ON TIME!

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I'm putting most of my money on Phoenix Wright, with a side bet on Gordon Freeman. I think he'd be a much better FPS rep than Doomguy or Master Chief.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Not too certain who the last fighter will be but I'm thinking it'll be a 1st party of some form, possibily a promotional pick (Notably Octoling or Pearl & Marina to promote Splatoon 3). Between that or a Phoenix Wright-tier 3rd party.
Considering that the second pass was finalized in 2019, it's highly unlikely our last character is promoting a 2022 release

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't expect another Splatoon character unless they really ran out of money and decided to throw together an easy-to-create clone fighter that also doubles as a shillpick for Splatoon 3.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Wait for real?

can anyone give more context?
Might be talking about that interview when Iwata was like "and we're gonna make a new Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo Revolution" and then after that announcement they basically turned to a previously uninformed Sakurai and went "And YOU'RE gonna do it!"

Paraphrasing a bit.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Wait for real?

can anyone give more context?
Nintendo wanted to give the Wii consumer interest. So they said a new Smash was in development.
They were lying, and the next day Iwata met with Sakurai.
He said if Sakurai declined they would just rerelease Melee with online. Sakurai accepted however, and thats how Brawl started development a day after it was announced to be in development.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Might be talking about that interview when Iwata was like "and we're gonna make a new Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo Revolution" and then after that announcement they basically turned to a previously uninformed Sakurai and went "And YOU'RE gonna do it!"

Paraphrasing a bit.
But it is known that if Sakurai chose not to return for Brawl they would have just developed a port of Melee with online features instead.
I'm putting most of my money on Phoenix Wright, with a side bet on Gordon Freeman. I think he'd be a much better FPS rep than Doomguy or Master Chief.
I think that Chun Li is now our real Capcom frontrunner, while I don't expect a Valve character because they are almost a PC-only developer.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Tinfoil tinfoil theory time because I’m bored for millionth time.

Darkhon looks like a gigantic version of Doom in the starfish form from shadow the hedgehog. Shadows gonna be the one to take darkhon down lol.

I’ll probably have another out there theory tomorrow or something when I’m bored.

MattX20

Smash Hero
But it is known that if Sakurai chose not to return for Brawl they would have just developed a port of Melee with online features instead.

I think that Chun Li is now our real Capcom frontrunner, while I don't expect a Valve character because they are almost a PC-only developer.
The problem with Chun Li as the Capcom frontrunner is that Street Fighter already is well represented in terms of overall content in the base game alone. Unlike ARMS, FF7, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which had little content to speak of, Street Fighter had a lot of spirits, a new AT of Guile, many new music tracks, and an echo fighter with Ken. Phoenix, Amaterasu, and Viewtfiul Joe don't have this issue.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
what’s everyone’s dream trailer reveal
Here's a couple.
We begin with a shot of a floating island, seemingly the Isle of the Ancients from Brawl.
We cut in to see the entrance to a high-tech facility going down beneath the island, with Samus's gunship visible on the side.
We cut in further to a corridor of that facility, dark and empty--save for Zero Suit Samus and Richter, who walk past.
We see a door open from the interior of a room; Samus and Richter are standing on the other side. They walk in.
After looking around the room for a bit, Samus and Richter stop in surprise as they see something--Mega Man and R.O.B., hooked up to machinery on the wall.
Samus sees a terminal a short distance from the robots, pointing it out to Richter. He shrugs, and she signals him towards the robots.
Samus goes up to the terminal and starts typing at it. On the monitor, we see a diagram of Mega Man outlined in green appear. We then see a diagram of R.O.B. appear, also in green--until it suddenly turns red as a loud crashing sound rings out.
Samus turns to see Richter has torn R.O.B. off the wall. R.O.B. doesn't seem to be damaged, but is still offline. Richter gives a thumbs-up, and Samus turns back to the monitor.
Samus then gives a small jolt of surprise as something else appears on screen--a diagram of an unknown figure (looking like a human in a cap) outlined in red. Samus signals Richter, and he walks up, still holding R.O.B.
In a dark corner of the room, a figure points a large white weapon at the two. Three missiles fire from it; Samus and Richter hear them fire and turn to see.
Cut to a more well-lit cavern, filled with houses and a few bunny-people--until the cave wall close to the ceiling explodes, with Samus, Richter, and R.O.B. being flung out. The bunny-people turn and run.
Through the hole in the wall, we see the attacker standing at the ledge. They drop their large weapon and grab a blue gun from their hip. They jump down towards Samus and Richter, who struggle to get themselves battle-ready. (R.O.B. is still turned off.)
The figure lands and points his gun at the two.
Quote Takes the Shot!
<insert random gameplay, showing off Quote's wide variety of projectile moves; the Cave Story theme plays>
We see some gameplay of Quote fighting Zero Suit Samus and Richter on his stage, Mimiga Village, which then leads back into a cinematic.
Quote is struggling against the two, and Richter leaps at him--but then gets hit by a volley of white projectiles from off-screen, knocking him away. Quote and Samus turn to see the new figure, holding a red gun.
Curly Guns Down!
<insert more random gameplay, particularly establishing that Curly is an alternate model for Quote, until the end; Running Hell plays>
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Cave Story

This trailer is rendered in a 2D anime/manga/comic book artstyle, most notably with characters being represented by multiple still images of various poses.
Joker wakes up, finding himself lying on the ground in Shibuya's Scramble Crossing and clad in his school uniform.
People are walking around him, but nobody can see him.
After a few moments, Joker sees a strange sight--red-and-black symbols, resembling a cross between a skull and the Smash Ball, floating in midair.
The symbols warp, transforming into bizarre, off-color, jagged versions of Smash fighters. Joker is taken aback; no one else seems to notice.
The fake fighters start to attack, and Joker is only narrowly able to dodge.
In desperation, Joker reaches to his glasses to try and unmask, but someone calls out. Joker turns to see someone running towards him, a figure in purple.
The figure leaps over Joker's head and summons fire in front of his hand, lashing it out at the fake fighters, causing them to explode into TV static and disappear.
The figure turns to Joker.
Neku Makes Some Noise!
<insert random gameplay, showing off Neku's flashy elemental and psychokinetic attacks, as well as his stage, which goes from the Scramble Crossing to a mural in Udagawa to an ominous underground bar with static effects; Twister plays>
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x The World Ends With You

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The thing with the whole idea that there's still somehow a "third pass" is that when you can't talk about something, you don't lie. You just don't talk about it.
I mean, you can lie about it, it's just not Sakurai's way of handling things, the man prefers to tell the truth in your face

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The problem with Chun Li as the Capcom frontrunner is that Street Fighter already is well represented in terms of overall content in the base game alone. Unlike ARMS, FF7, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which had little content to speak of, Street Fighter had a lot of spirits, a new AT of Guile, many new music tracks, and an echo fighter with Ken. Phoenix, Amaterasu, and Viewtfiul Joe don't have this issue.
There's simply no reason for any of those characters to be added unless Sakurai wants them in specifically. As for Street Fighter, the only game to have representation is Street Fighter 2 There's nothing from any of the other games.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Uggh did not quote other person. As for above post. STOP saying about where which characters Sakurai wants. As far as we know he has only ever made the decision about base game characters in Ultimate. Sakurai's preference will only determine a character NOT getting in.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
There's simply no reason for any of those characters to be added unless Sakurai wants them in specifically. As for Street Fighter, the only game to have representation is Street Fighter 2 There's nothing from any of the other games.
Juri has a spirit, other games in the series like Street Fighter Alpha are also given a nod and there are characters like Dan Hibiki and Sakura, both of which were not in Street Fighter 2

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
First Everything I have posted about has Facts to back it up.

Second, We need to clear up who is actually the Executive Producer of Smash Ultimate who would be Shuntaro Furukawa Nintendo President. Shuntaro Furukawa who became president in 2018 is the ultimate decider on how many fighters we get not Masahiro Sakurai. Masahiro Sakurai is basically Furukawa's Yes Man because he promised Satoru Iwata ( He Sakurai ) would finish Ultimate.

Third which i did not mention which i clearly need to and will be edited to include is this situiation feels very reminiscent of Smash 4's DLC history where Sakurai denied the daylights out of having more dlc planned after i believe Mewtwo. In reality he had 6 characters left.

Fourth, the reason I use the leaks is they all have proven true up until now. However i don't honestly think they are necessary given the relationships each company has with Nintendo which is sufficient for me to believe in a Third Fighter's pass.

Fifth a glitch being in the game since launch disproves nothing, especially if the character was planned before then.

Sixth The leak mentioning Hayabusa as a fighter did not actually clarify him being a fighter. It merely stated he would be coming. I expect him to be mii'd

Seventh Paya's inclusion is the only reason i can think of to include fruit in the list of names for the announcer.

Eighth The reason I believe Lloyd Bannings is because there has yet to be a missed opportunity with a third party game promotion and a smash inclusion and i don't expect to see any deviation of this pattern.

Ninth I believe Tabuu is likely a bonus fighter because he would be the easiest to produce as a bonus fighter as far as legal issues are concerned. He does not require a stage, nor spirits, nor music. To me Tabuu is also the most integral character to Smash's history as far as the story goes.
But

why Lloyd Bannings? If you’re referencing those leaks, the Falcom leak said either Adol or Rean. Estelle is also a possibility due to her popularity, but Lloyd’s game isn’t getting localized till next year

and I’m 99% sure the Hayabusa and Matoi leak explicitly said Hayabusa was CP9, Matoi CP10

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
First Everything I have posted about has Facts to back it up.

Second, We need to clear up who is actually the Executive Producer of Smash Ultimate who would be Shuntaro Furukawa Nintendo President. Shuntaro Furukawa who became president in 2018 is the ultimate decider on how many fighters we get not Masahiro Sakurai. Masahiro Sakurai is basically Furukawa's Yes Man because he promised Satoru Iwata ( He Sakurai ) would finish Ultimate.

Third which i did not mention which i clearly need to and will be edited to include is this situiation feels very reminiscent of Smash 4's DLC history where Sakurai denied the daylights out of having more dlc planned after i believe Mewtwo. In reality he had 6 characters left.

Fourth, the reason I use the leaks is they all have proven true up until now. However i don't honestly think they are necessary given the relationships each company has with Nintendo which is sufficient for me to believe in a Third Fighter's pass.

Fifth a glitch being in the game since launch disproves nothing, especially if the character was planned before then.

Sixth The leak mentioning Hayabusa as a fighter did not actually clarify him being a fighter. It merely stated he would be coming. I expect him to be mii'd

Seventh Paya's inclusion is the only reason i can think of to include fruit in the list of names for the announcer.

Eighth The reason I believe Lloyd Bannings is because there has yet to be a missed opportunity with a third party game promotion and a smash inclusion and i don't expect to see any deviation of this pattern.

Ninth I believe Tabuu is likely a bonus fighter because he would be the easiest to produce as a bonus fighter as far as legal issues are concerned. He does not require a stage, nor spirits, nor music. To me Tabuu is also the most integral character to Smash's history as far as the story goes.
See ya in September dude when you prove to be wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom