• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The SMTV won't represent that history unless they include other SMT protagonists as alts and basically do a Hero situation, but that would be weird.
That's absurd, it's like saying Simon Belmont doesn't rep Castlevania's history or that Snake doesn't rep Metal Gear's history. There's other ways of representing an entire series than just through a playable character.

It's an especially dumb point to make about a character who would likely summon demons from past games.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I would personally like a lot more tournament legal stages. :iwatanod: A third of the viable stages end up being invalidated by other "similar" stages. I'm just tired of always going to PS2.
It's a big shame, since the possibility is there for many unique layouts. And some unique layouts fall victim to other issues, such as Warioware's side blast zones being far too close, Castle Siege having camera problems so it's hard to see what's happening on the right side, and Gamer and Arena Ferox having good layouts but you have no way to consistently get the good layouts. Really wish they had a couple of the DLC stages have blast zones roughly equivalent to Battlefield's, with interesting layouts that made for good competitive stages.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The SMTV won't represent that history unless they include other SMT protagonists as alts and basically do a Hero situation, but that would be weird.
Oh, yeah, because we totally needed to have P3 and P4 protagonists as alts of :ultjoker: in order to represent past Persona games right? All that music, those Mii Costumes, stage color schemes, and multiple unique musical and color themes for the victory screens, meant absolute balderdash in the grand scheme of things. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I wanna share this thing that I posted in the Reimu thread:

Okay, so tinfoil hat time/question:

Does Nintendo give Sakurai a set budget when making Smash Bros, or do they just trickle in money as they go? I'm mainly asking because of how it could relate to Reimu.

Let's have a look-see through the Challenger Packs and the money they may have spent on them throughout the years:

• Piranha Plant
  • Free bonus DLC character. $
  • Meant to be a part of the base roster after Incineroar, but schedule circumstances changed that. $
  • Because of how easy it is to make him and because of how he's a first-party, PP may have cost less money to develop than any other DLC character ever. $
  • Joker
  • Our first official DLC character. $
  • Sakurai loved Persona 5, the game was the main inspiration behind the menu.
  • Hero
  • Koichi Sugiyama was likely very miserly, was only able to provide MIDI tracks instead of the fully-orchestrated tracks. Even with that, it must've been expensive.
  • Has the highest number of distinct Specials of any Smash character thanks to Command Selection. $$$
  • Had to hire different voice actors for each of the 4 Heroes.
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Close ties with Nintendo thanks to B-K's history. $
  • Microsoft and Nintendo had been getting really chummy at the time. $
  • Terry
  • SNK was the most generous company out of everyone, beating out Konami prior. $
  • Due to Fatal Fury being a 4-button fighter as opposed to Street Fighter's 6-buttons, was generally easier to develop standard attacks for. $
  • Comes with GO! mechanic and unique inputs. $$
  • KoF Stadium possesses a bajillion stage cameos and has that wall mechanic. $$
  • Byleth
  • Was rumored to be initially a Monster Hunter rep, but didn't fall through. $$
  • Min Min
  • Direct request from Yabuki himself. $
  • Min Min has a unique control scheme in comparison to the rest of the fighters. $$$
  • Steve
  • Negotiations took 5 years to develop. Vergeben, love him or hate him, said Minecraft content was coming to Smash long before Steve's reveal. $$$
  • Required Sakurai to rewrite every single stage to accommodate Neutral Special. $$$
  • Was issued by a co-worker as a challenge for Sakurai. (Could be a joke, could be serious. I don't know) $$
  • Sephiroth
  • lods of emone probably went to music negotiations since we got 9 songs out of FF with this challenger pack. $$$
  • Only speaks Japanese for consistency with Cloud. $
  • Northern Cave background seems like a very intricate render, as opposed to other stages like Yggdrasil's Altar and Garreg Mach Monastery. $$$
  • Pyra/Mythra
  • Was initially going to be a trio character with Rex, but limitations led to the idea being scrapped, turning Pyra and Mythra into a Zelda/Sheik-type character. $$$
  • Required contacting Skye Bennett and Al Weaver, British voice actors. $$
  • Kazuya
  • Sakurai discussed how difficult it would be to put Tekken's movement into Smash when discussing Heihachi. $
  • Kazuya has 8 input directions to choose from for his tilts. $$
  • Tekken has 39 songs in Smash Bros. $$

What does this have to do with Reimu? Well, Smash has always had some lowkey reveals at the end. If Reimu actually is our final character, then it'd make sense for the final Challenger Pack to require less money, too. There are a metric ton of points in favor of this, too:

ZUN's very lax when it comes to copyrights, as I may have mentioned many a time on this thread, so negotiations could very well be the most affordable out of anyone. $
Team Shanghai Alice is a one-man dev team, most likely meaning not much money was spent on drawing the artwork and composing the songs. $
That "graze" glitch still hasn't been fixed. Sakurai and the dev team could've fixed it when making the Kazuya patch, but it's still there. That could be fixed in a later patch, but as it stands, it's still there. $
Touhou Project makes sense on so many levels as a finale, as not only would it reflect the final DLC character in Smash 4 being Bayonetta with Byleth being like Corrin, but these points, among others I haven't thought of yet, would point it to being Reimu mainly because Sakurai's dev team is approaching the end and probably require fewer resources, much like with Corrin and Bayonetta. Master Chief is heavily rumored as of late, yes, but he sounds really expensive, and as of right now, Smash has put the most money into Microsoft content with not just Banjo-Kazooie and Minecraft, but also Fallout and most recently Skyrim.

TL;DR: Team Shanghai Alice probably requires the least amount of money for negotiations and development than any fighter we've had so far, making her the most likely candidate for our final challenger.
Any thoughts? You think this "resource decay" may factor into our final character?

SKX31

Smash Master
Dante will be a very interesting character to see implemented one day:
  • By design, he has to be combo heavy. Characters that are designed to be combo heavy tend to have some really dumb stuff:
    • Ryu, Ken, and Terry have an auto-correcting jab as a K.O. setup.
      • Terry's in particular is also a hit confirm because his combo route starts after jab 2.
    • Bayonetta had her infamous ladder combos.
    • Kazuya...is Kazuya.
  • Not only that, but he wields a greatsword like a normal one handed sword like Cloud does.
  • Depending on what they add to his kit, he could also be an aerial rave character, which haven't yet found a sweetspot of good, but not SSS Tier.
  • Devil Trigger has so much potential to be utterly ridiculous regardless of how it was implimented, and will make all of the prior design challenges even more difficult.
I'm not saying he will be broken, but there are a lot of areas where the design could go wrong and I wonder how they'll deal with that.
Honestly, we can't answer that conclusively until months if not years from now really considering Kazuya in particular. His players are discovering stuff about him at such a rapid rate that the character may look completely different months from now. Just recently it was discovered that one can cancel Crouch Dash into practically anything by using down back after the Dash. Dante would undergo much of the same process.

Mind you, I def think that Dante could work in Ultimate's engine. TBF unlike Cloud Dante might not be able to just press buttons (which Cloud specializes in looks at Climbhazzard), and unlike Bayo Dante would not presumably have multiple jumps or the same ability to ladder (IIRC). And his presumably high knockback attacks would presumably be also rather laggy (looking primarily at Stinger, but also other finishers). Still though, I do largely agree that he'd be very difficult to bring in.

So I wanna share this thing that I posted in the Reimu thread:

Any thoughts? You think this "resource decay" may factor into our final character?
Never been that keen on "resource decay" partly since we're looking at a more structured FP schedule instead of the less structured reveals of past games (primarily 4, but also Brawl where Sonic was literally last minute). If anything, I find it decently likely that Nintendo may have gone with a somewhat flexible budget - not only to account for possible issues during DLC development (such as adjustments made during the initial COVID lockdown) but also to ensure they could cover most any licensing costs neccessary.

Still, a character like Reimu being relatively cheap to license could certainly be a major plus from Sakurai / Nintendo's PoVs partly because it may prove to be less of a hassle that way and still gain a lot out of the deal. It's worth noting that Nintendo's also a very fiscally conservative corp (sometimes to a fault) However, what's got me cautious re: Reimu is the lack of precedence so far - so we'll have to see.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
That's absurd, it's like saying Simon Belmont doesn't rep Castlevania's history or that Snake doesn't rep Metal Gear's history. There's other ways of representing an entire series than just through a playable character.

It's an especially dumb point to make about a character who would likely summon demons from past games.
Exactly! You can also represent KH's history by sticking to content that originated from it (wink wink)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think you're underselling SMT's influence and overall significance. It featured monster catching as its main mechanic a decade before Pokemon, was a pioneer of morality mechanics in games, and was a very early example of an RPG in a modern day/sci-fi setting. Saying that it would only get chosen to promote a new game makes me think you aren't that well informed about it.
To be honest it kinda reminds me of every time there was a Dragon Quest debate after Brave was public knowledge and before Hero's official reveal at E3. People underselling the series and it's legacy, "it isn't Smash/E3 material", and so on.

Not saying SMT is as influential as Dragon Quest to it's genre or anything like that but I think a lot of people definitely overlook SMT and it's history. I guess it doesn't help that it took a while for the series to be released in the West, so for a lot of people it might not feel like SMT has been around for a long time doing it's thing, but still.

In other words, a franchise being small or niche doesn't mean it lacks legacy or influence.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it's because they're not likely to get all of the veterans in Smash 6 (not only due to paying licensing fees again, but also due to more time being needed to add them all to the next game; on the other hand, Nintendo can solve that latter issue by going the Call of Duty route by dedicating more of their companies to developing Smash 6). So, it's more of "have to" than "want to."
CALL NINTENDO. YOU’RE A GENIUS.

also

tfw they most likely had Sephiroth voiced in Japanese only just to be consistent with Cloud
tfw you won’t hear his ominous yet strangely seductive English voice
feels bad man :c

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I've mentioned this idea before, but I think it would be cool if a Capcom Vs. stage had a character's "theme" play once they reach their last stock, similarly to how it works in the Marvel vs. Capcom games. Today I decided to try my hand at a list of these themes:
Mario: Ground Theme/Underground Theme

Donkey Kong: Jungle Level (Brawl)

Link: Main Theme – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Samus: Title Theme – Metroid

Dark Samus: Brinstar Depths

Yoshi: Obstacle Course

Kirby: Green Greens (Melee)

Fox: Main Theme – Star Fox 64 (Brawl)

Pikachu: Main Theme – Pokémon Red & Pokémon Blue (Brawl)

Luigi: Main Theme – Luigi’s Mansion

Ness: Smiles and Tears

Captain Falcon: Mute City (for 3Ds / Wii U)

Jigglypuff: Pokémon Red / Pokémon Blue Medley

Peach: Slide [Remix]

Daisy: Stadium Theme – Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Bowser: King Bowser – Super Mario Bros. 3

Ice Climbers: Ice Climber (Brawl)

Sheik: Gerudo Valley [Remix]

Zelda: Ballad of the Goddess [Original]

Dr. Mario: Fever

Pichu: Pokémon Gold / Pokémon Silver Medley

Falco: Corneria – Star Fox Zero

Marth: Fire Emblem Theme

Lucina: Destiny (Ablaze)

Young Link: Termina Field [Remix]

Ganondorf: Dark World (for 3Ds / Wii U)

Mewtwo: Victory Road – Pokémon Ruby / Pokémon Sapphire

Roy: Beyond Distant Skies – Roy’s Departure

Chrom: Conquest (Ablaze)

Mr. Game & Watch: Flat Zone 2

Meta Knight: Meta Knight’s Revenge

Pit: Underworld

Dark Pit: Dark Pit’s Theme

Zero Suit Samus: Theme of Samus Aran, Space Warrior

Wario: WarioWare, Inc. Medley

Snake: Snake Eater

Ike: Eternal Bond

Pokémon Trainer: Battle! (Wild Pokémon) – Pokémon Ruby / Pokémon Sapphire

Diddy Kong: The Map Page / Bonus Level [Remix]

Lucas: Unfounded Revenge / Smashing Song of Praise

Sonic: Green Hill Zone

King Dedede: King Dedede’s Theme (Brawl)

Olimar: Main Theme – Pikmin [Remix]

Alph: Mission Mode – Pikmin 3

Lucario: Battle! (Wild Pokémon) Pokémon Diamond / Pokémon Pearl

R.O.B.: Stack-Up/Gyromite

Toon Link: Main Theme – The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

Wolf: Star Wolf’s Theme / Sector Z

Villager: Title Theme – Animal Crossing

Mega Man: Mega Man 2 Medley

Wii Fit Trainer: Main Menu – Wii Fit

Rosalina & Luma: Rosalina in the Observatory / Luma’s Theme

Little Mac: Jogging / Countdown

Greninja: Battle! (Trainer) Pokémon X / Pokémon Y

Mii Fighters: Battlefield

Palutena: Destroyed Skyworld

PAC-Man: PAC-Man’s Park / Block Town

Robin: ID (Purpose)

Shulk: You Will Know Our Names

Bowser Jr.: Delfino Plaza

Koopalings: Airship Theme – Super Mario Bros. 3

Duck Hunt: Duck Hunt Medley

Ryu: Ryu Stage

Ken: Ken Stage

Cloud: Fight On!

Corrin: Lost in Thoughts All Alone (for 3Ds / Wii U)

Bayonetta: Let’s Hit the Climax!

Inkling: Splattack! [Original]

Ridley: Vs. Ridley (Brawl)

Simon: Bloody Tears / Monster Dance

Richter: Divine Bloodlines

King K. Rool: Gangplank Galleon

Isabelle: Tour – Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Incineroar: Battle! (Island Kahuna)

Piranha Plant: Underground Theme

Joker: Last Surprise

Hero (Dragon Quest XI): The Hero Goes Forth with a Determination

Hero (Dragon Quest III): Adventure – Dragon Quest III

Hero (Dragon Quest IV): Battle for the Glory – Dragon Quest IV

Hero (Dragon Quest VIII): War Cry

Terry: Kurikinton

Banjo & Kazooie: Main Theme – Banjo-Kazooie

Byleth: Fire Emblem: Three Houses Main Theme

Min Min: Ramen Bowl

Steve (& Alex): Halland / Dalarna

Zombie (& Enderman): The Arch-Illager

Sephiroth: Advent: One-Winged Angel

Pyra/Mythra: Counterattack

Kazuya: Kazuya Mishima, Devil Kazuya [Remix]

The Miis Fighters do have a Mii related theme on the website, but to be consistant with the game itself they have a Super Smash Bros. theme.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
one thing I find interesting is that Kazuya’s the only character who the victory announcer refers to by his full name

granted it’s the Tekken announcer for him only but I still think that’s awesome
To be fair I think there’s less than ten characters in this game who we actually know the last name of.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Including the most recent, not even released yet, SMT protag is the exact OPPOSITE of Simon or Snake. Both OG protags.
I don't see that much of a difference when it comes to this subject.

Simon and Snake are obviously repping their series,.. just like Nahobino from SMTV would do if he got in. Him being newest protag doesn't mean they're forgetting about the previous SMT games. Unless they pull off a FFVII situation and literally all the content and references are exclusively from SMT V, which is highly unlikely, Nahobino would still rep SMT as much as any other protag in the series.

You can represent different entries in a series in multiple ways. There's more beyond playable characters.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
An SMT protag no matter if it's a new protag like 5's Nahobino or a classic like Demi-fiend from 3, they'd all come with the same thing. Heaps of SMT music, at least a spirit of Jack Frost, the most lovable little scrunko demon, a post apocalyptic Tokyo stage which is basically par for the course for almost every mainline game and hopefully actually summoning demons. To say a recent protagonist wouldn't represent the whole series is a bit shortsighted :/ At worst, it's a shill pick that carries a lot of legacy on their back.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
An SMT protag no matter if it's a new protag like 5's Nahobino or a classic like Demi-fiend from 3, they'd all come with the same thing. Heaps of SMT music, at least a spirit of Jack Frost, the most lovable little scrunko demon, a post apocalyptic Tokyo stage which is basically par for the course for almost every mainline game and hopefully actually summoning demons. To say a recent protagonist wouldn't represent the whole series is a bit shortsighted :/ At worst, it's a shill pick that carries a lot of legacy on their back.
Yeah, I mean, if we got a SMT character as CP11 they would obviously try to tie that into the upcoming SMTV, which is a logical move and I'd do the same if I was in their position. It makes sense. If a DLC character is scheduled to release close to the newest entry in the series, not trying to take advantage from that would be stupid.

But that's one thing and another one is saying Nahobino would only rep SMTV. You can rep the whole series and it's legacy and promote the new game, both things aren't mutually exclusive. I mean... they literally did that with Dragon Quest and the Heroes.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think it's because they're not likely to get all of the veterans in Smash 6 (not only due to paying licensing fees again, but also due to more time being needed to add them all to the next game; on the other hand, Nintendo can solve that latter issue by going the Call of Duty route by dedicating more of their companies to developing Smash 6). So, it's more of "have to" than "want to."
CALL NINTENDO. YOU’RE A GENIUS.

also

feels bad man :c
Eh... We sure that's a good idea? For Smash, maybe, but wouldn't that kinda take a fair bit of work away from every other game the subsidiaries would be developing? I'm admittedly no expert on how this all works, but I feel like that would kinda take away from everything that isn't Smash.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Ah **** here we go again

Fingers crossed it’s a duo though… namely Off the Hook… 👀
I am not 100% sure this is accurate at all mostly for the dev work involved, but according to one of the replies by the original Twitter user it sounds like it would be a Galar Pokémon trainer.

...which three Pokémon could fit a Galar trainer?

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Yeah, I mean, if we got a SMT character as CP11 they would obviously try to tie that into the upcoming SMTV, which is a logical move and I'd do the same if I was in their position. It makes sense. If a DLC character is scheduled to release close to the newest entry in the series, not trying to take advantage from that would be stupid.

But that's one thing and another one is saying Nahobino would only rep SMTV. You can rep the whole series and it's legacy and promote the new game, both things aren't mutually exclusive. I mean... they literally did that with Dragon Quest and the Heroes.
Well IMO I think personally based on timing, they might go with Demi-fiend but I mean if they go with a rep it's either-or. Either pick the iconic guy from the remaster or the new guy hot on the menu.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Ah **** here we go again

I’m not going to get my hopes up too much but the Battletoads are a fairly iconic trio of characters. I would have assumed they would just be alts of each other like Bowser Jr. but they could theoretically work as a Pokémon trainer style transform character as well.

1625534445909.jpeg

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ah **** here we go again
A 3 in one? I don't think that's possible.

I don't see that much of a difference when it comes to this subject.

Simon and Snake are obviously repping their series,.. just like Nahobino from SMTV would do if he got in. Him being newest protag doesn't mean they're forgetting about the previous SMT games. Unless they pull off a FFVII situation and literally all the content and references are exclusively from SMT V, which is highly unlikely, Nahobino would still rep SMT as much as any other protag in the series.

You can represent different entries in a series in multiple ways. There's more beyond playable characters.
If Joker is any indication though it will probably be SMT V oh and also other games in the series exist.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Simon and Snake are obviously repping their series,.. just like Nahobino from SMTV would do if he got in. Him being newest protag doesn't mean they're forgetting about the previous SMT games.
Sure, you CAN. But not without coming off like a total shill pick.

Which, Nahobino would 100% be. A character the would have been chosen a good 2 years before his game came out. Long before ANYONE knows if they even like the character or not.

Shill pick is literally the only way to interpret that.

You can represent different entries in a series in multiple ways.
Yes, but he said it was like Simon or Snake. That's the exact opposite.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Eh... We sure that's a good idea? For Smash, maybe, but wouldn't that kinda take a fair bit of work away from every other game the subsidiaries would be developing? I'm admittedly no expert on how this all works, but I feel like that would kinda take away from everything that isn't Smash.
Yeah, that would take away development from other games; plus, I get the feeling that might be a slippery slope as we've seen with Activision-Blizzard, and would not be a one-time thing.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Ah **** here we go again

Strange, why wait a day? Seems like stalling to ignite speculation for a few hours to me.

Are there any characters that could be aside from another Pokemon trainer? That seems to be the only thing that fits well.

Though I would dream of a Phoenix, Apollo, and Edgeworth 3 in 1.
Or Giegue, Porky, and the Masked Man to represent each game in the Mother series respectively.

Edit: By the power of eyes, I have seen that this thread already has more viable ideas for a 3 in 1. My question is redundant.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman

Ah **** here we go again

Oh god, with all due respect please don't be a Pokémon character, please don't be a Pokémon character
Anything but another Pokémon character

About that though, couldn't it be that the last character simply has some sort of install or stance mechanic like changing weapons? I know jack about coding but just food for thought

Technomage

Smash Champion
To be fair I think there’s less than ten characters in this game who we actually know the last name of.
Well we got: Mario Mario, Luigi Mario, Peach Toadstool, the Koopalings (7) Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Samus Aran, the Star Foxes (3), Sonic the Hedgehog, Cloud Strife, King K. Rool, Byleth Eisner, Ken Masters, the Belmonts (2), Terry Bogard, Minecraft Steve/Minecraft Alex, and Kazuya Mishima.

Bonuses (non-canons): Marth Lowell, Ganondorf Dragmire, and Captain Falcon (whose real name is either Douglas Jay Falcon or Andy Summer). Oh, and Joker, whose real name is either Ren Amamiya or Akira Kurusu.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Do they? I assumed you just picked a leader and played a match with it. That would be a very random mechanic to add if that is the case.
No, it would literally be the 3 main CO's of Advance Wars 1 swapping in battle. Andy is the mechanic/healer, Sami is the hand to hand fighter, and Max is the powerhouse. They would share the same specials (deploying units) but with different stats and their melee attacks would be different.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Okay I lied. I can’t not get my hopes up lol. The Battletoads, being Microsoft characters, also fit the hints the hints that Phil Spencer has something big planned with Nintendo with the pictures of a Switch in the background.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh god, with all due respect please don't be a Pokémon character, please don't be a Pokémon character
Anything but another Pokémon character

About that though, couldn't it be that the last character simply has some sort of install or stance mechanic like changing weapons? I know jack about coding but just food for thought
Changing weapons…?

oh God. Don’t give me hope for Elma I settled long ago…
Well we got: Mario Mario, Luigi Mario, Peach Toadstool, the Koopalings (7) Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Samus Aran, the Star Foxes (3), Sonic the Hedgehog, Cloud Strife, King K. Rool, Byleth Eisner, Ken Masters, the Belmonts (2), Terry Bogard, Minecraft Steve/Minecraft Alex, and Kazuya Mishima.

Bonuses (non-canons): Marth Lowell, Ganondorf Dragmire, and Captain Falcon (whose real name is either Douglas Jay Falcon or Andy Summer). Oh, and Joker, whose real name is either Ren Amamiya or Akira Kurusu.
FFVII Non-canon but it’s possible Sephiroth’s last name is either Hojo or Crescent. But being that he believes neither are his biological parents he probably chooses to have no last name

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom