• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Reiji Arisu from Namco × Capcom in Project X Zone 2 was the protagonist. Project X Zone 1 has characters from Bandai Namco, Capcom and Sega. While Project X Zone 2 has characters from these three companies along with Chrom and Lucina, as well as Fiora from the Xenoblade Chronicles who are from Nintendo as it is known. So Reiji Arisu should come as the last DLC character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

1625512904233.png

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Literally any character, no matter how good or bad each of us think they are would be considered a waste of time to some other people. Nothing to avoid that. But it is what it is.
Whoever the final character is, they’re going to be met with a certain amount of negativity because the final character is the final character. A lot of people are hoping that their character is the last character which, let’s be honest, is like a 1/1000000 shot.
I call it "The Bayonetta Fallacy". Any character announced last will get a ton of hate, no matter how much hype they would've gotten if they were revealed earlier.

No matter who FP11 is, I do not envy their fans. It's going to take a few months for the Smash fandom to cool off.

That would be interesting. Another example could be Agumon temporarily evolving into Greymon (who is practically a stronger echo of Agumon).
I've never been a Digimon fan, but the more I hear about it, the more I realize how hype I'd be for Agumon to get in. Mario has his rival in Sonic, I'd love for Pikachu to finally get its.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Reiji Arisu from Namco × Capcom in Project X Zone 2 was the protagonist. Project X Zone 1 has characters from Bandai Namco, Capcom and Sega. While Project X Zone 2 has characters from these three companies along with Chrom and Lucina, as well as Fiora from the Xenoblade Chronicles who are from Nintendo as it is known. So Reiji Arisu should come as the last DLC character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

View attachment 321730
Yeah, he would make a great finale fighter; plus, he'd, in a way, simultaneously rep Capcom, Sega, and Namco. 😎

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

View attachment 321730
Tbf we already have a connection between PXZ2 and Ultimate. It’s Kazuya.

Ryu and Ken were givens, I don’t count them

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not gonna lie, I think Nabohino sounds kind of bad as a name. It sounds too weird to be a name, but it doesn't really sound like a title either.

Also if he does get in I'm willing to bet that all of the commentators are just going to call him "Nabo" which...doesn't sound better.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Actually if Nabohino did get in as the last DLC character, it’d be a SEGA character that had their big game published by Nintendo for their exclusive console. Exactly like :4bayonetta:.
Only published in Europe. Bayonetta also was funded by Nintendo, where SMTV is not. Sega publishes it in America, and Atlus publishes it themselves in Japan.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Tiki would definitely have the transform mechanic, but since the dragon form is the only way Manaketes attack in Fire Emblem, and the design space for Fire Emblem characters are often made to incorporate strategy (Perfect spacing, using the right weapon, managing spells, etc.) I don't think Dragon Tiki would be a comeback mechanic.

EDIT: I think it would more likely be a Pyra/Mythra style stance change.
Yes, but the dragon form is also a bit more awkward to put in Smash as a full-fledged playable character in Smash, so I leaned more into the interpretation it is given in another live-combat based game, Fire Emblem Warriors. In that game it’s very much a meter-based ”rampage” transformation. That wouldn’t mean Tiki would be just a regular girl in her base form either, she can take a page from Corrin’s book and transform partially to attack with wings or fire breath, but the full dragon form would remain a meter-exclusive thing. Unlike most meters and more like Aegis, it could be activated at-will as long as the meter has some charge left.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure that'd completely fit. Well, unless the new guy is overpowered like :4bayonetta:
Oh I'm not even talking about the reaction to her practically-cheating moveset. I'm just talking about her initial reveal. Some people were hyped, but an overwhelming majority of reactions I saw online were very negative. Despite the fact that Bayo getting into Smash was a pretty mind-blowing thing at the time.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Tbf we already have a connection between PXZ2 and Ultimate. It’s Kazuya.

Ryu and Ken were givens, I don’t count them
Kazuya made his debut in Tekken 1, while Reiji Arisu made his debut in a game with featuring characters from different companies.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Well they have nothing to lose, so might as well put an FE character again for last. :4pacman:
Imagine it being another Fire Emblem avatar, with it being Kiran from Fire Emblem Heroes. :4pacman:
Ugh, I would not find that a funny joke. I'd rather have the likes of Mighty Number 9 as the final fighter. >_<

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yes, but the dragon form is also a bit more awkward to put in Smash as a full-fledged playable character in Smash, so I leaned more into the interpretation it is given in another live-combat based game, Fire Emblem Warriors. In that game it’s very much a meter-based ”rampage” transformation. That wouldn’t mean Tiki would be just a regular girl in her base form either, she can take a page from Corrin’s book and transform partially to attack with wings or fire breath, but the full dragon form would remain a meter-exclusive thing. Unlike most meters and more like Aegis, it could be activated at-will as long as the meter has some charge left.
That's not really a comeback mechanic though, just a meter management one, and one that I think makes sense at that. However, I wouldn't rule out the dragon form just being a simple heavy character in terms of design either. The former idea does potentially reduce the work load though since you could have the dragon form use a smaller move list, and therefore not cause Tiki to require the work of two characters to make.

Regardless, I don't think it would be attached to a mechanic that you can't interact with for long stretches of time (unless it's a resource management mechanic and you manage it poorly).

Ugh, I would not find that a funny joke. >_<
But they've got a gun that shoots anime girls. What's not funny about that? :4pacman:

EDIT: They could also be the first Fire Emblem avatar character to not have the male gender as the default, and the only multi-gendered character to have androgynous as the default.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
That's not really a comeback mechanic though, just a meter management one, and one that I think makes sense at that. However, I wouldn't rule out the dragon form just being a simple heavy character in terms of design either. The former idea does potentially reduce the work load though since you could have the dragon form use a smaller move list, and therefore not cause Tiki to require the work of two characters to make.

Regardless, I don't think it would be attached to a mechanic that you can't interact with for long stretches of time (unless it's a resource management mechanic and you manage it poorly).

But they've got a gun that shoots anime girls. What's not funny about that? :4pacman:
Well, the fact it's another FE milk machine; that'd completely ruin the funny factor.

Ivander

Smash Legend
But he's got a gun that shoots anime girls. What's not funny about that? :4pacman:
He's doesn't just got a gun that shoots out anime girls, but a gun that can transform into a hovering sword, axe and lance.

Oh, and if Kiran's Smash personality is based on the Feh manga Kiran, he'd instantly become the best character in Smash Bros. Seriously, read all of the Feh Manga pages and tell me that Kiran is not the best Fire Emblem character. I'd pay to see a manga page where Kiran gets in Smash, he meets the characters in Smash Bros. and ends up not only doing some crazy shenanigans, but at one point talks to the villains so casually since he becomes very casual with the villains of FEH after summoning them.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Okay there's a lot of confusion about what an "install" is. All it is is just a state acquired through various means that changes a characters stats or attributes, and is usually temporary. Shulk's monado arts are installs. Junpei Iori's bases in P4AU are an install, and Golden Frieza in DBFZ is also an install.

An install does not need to give a character new moves, it just needs to change how they're played at a fundamental level.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
What are the chances that we get a phantasy star rep. I remember hearing from somewhere that when ultimate released there was 2 companies that randomly congratulated smash bro’s ultimates release on Twitter and weren’t apart of the game. Those company’s being Dragon quest and Phantasy star. Dragon quest got in through the first pass so what are the chances that the last character could be from phantasy star.

We kinda know sega held negotiations for fighter pass 2 but we don’t know what came of them. Could range from nothing to a fighter but what’s interesting is that Nintendo went to sega specifically and not atlus so I’d assume if sega got another rep it would be an official sega rep and not someone from atlus or a company they bought. Phantasy star is hugely popular in Japan apparently.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay there's a lot of confusion about what an "install" is. All it is is just a state acquired through various means that changes a characters stats or attributes, and is usually temporary. Shulk's monado arts are installs. Junpei Iori's bases in P4AU are an install, and Golden Frieza in DBFZ is also an install.

An install does not need to give a character new moves, it just needs to change how they're played at a fundamental level.
That seems to be correct.

What are the chances that we get a phantasy star rep.
17%.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What are the chances that we get a phantasy star rep. I remember hearing from somewhere that when ultimate released there was 2 companies that randomly congratulated smash bro’s ultimates release on Twitter and weren’t apart of the game. Those company’s being Dragon quest and Phantasy star. Dragon quest got in through the first pass so what are the chances that the last character could be from phantasy star.

We kinda know sega held negotiations for fighter pass 2 but we don’t know what came of them. Could range from nothing to a fighter but what’s interesting is that Nintendo went to sega specifically and not atlus so I’d assume if sega got another rep it would be an official sega rep and not someone from atlus or a company they bought. Phantasy star is hugely popular in Japan apparently.
Can I get a source for this?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Ivander

Smash Legend

I think it's quite possible for a Phantasy Star rep to get in, especially now that PSO2 has finally released in the West. Not to mention Sakurai has important history with Phantasy Star.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Actually if Nabohino did get in as the last DLC character, it’d be a SEGA character that had their big game published by Nintendo for their exclusive console. Exactly like :4bayonetta:.
Stupid question, but would that lead to people calling him an honorary Nintendo character?

Stratos

Smash Ace
I would like Agumon to come as a newcomer, but regarding the alternative costumes it will have, two of them will be the black color from BlackAgumon and the white color from SnowAgumon. Won't the white color cause confusion? I write it because as its name suggests it is SnowAgumon, with icy moves. Imagine SnowAgumon with fiery movements, but it will be just a white alternative costume of Agumon.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Phantasy star is made by Sega so they probably congratulated Smash because Sonic and Bayonetta were already in the game (just like Square enix because Cloud was in the game, not because Hero was coming).

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I think it's quite possible for a Phantasy Star rep to get in, especially now that PSO2 has finally released in the West. Not to mention Sakurai has important history with Phantasy Star.
While it's interesting to know that Sakurai was affected by Phantasy Star to become a developer, it's important to remember that Nintendo's picking here. Sakurai can only agree to do Phantasy Star if Nintendo puts it forward to begin with, and PSO2 only got put out westward last year, after FP2 was all sorted out.

Phantasy star is made by Sega so they probably congratulated Smash because Sonic and Bayonetta were already in the game (just like Square enix because Cloud was in the game, not because Hero was coming).
This is probably accurate. All SEGA franchises are pretty closely knit together.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Yeah

is it based off Sonic appearing in some FP2 trailers or
It’s based off Sephiroth’s trailer. No third party company has been allowed a cgi mode in any of the trailers except Sephiroph’s. in sephiroth’s trailer we got

Sonic, cloud, bayonetta, banjo and richter which shows Nintendo held negotiations for FP2 with

Square Enix, Microsoft, Konami and Nintendo. 3 of the 4 have content in this pass whilst sega have nothing. We don’t know what sega got out of the negotiations but we know from Sephiroth’s trailer alone that they held negotiations.

Nintendo did the same for the base roster. Mega man appearing in the first cgi trailer and being the only cgi third party mode proved that capcom held talks for base roster with Nintendo and we ended up getting Ken.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It’s based off Sephiroth’s trailer. No third party company has been allowed a cgi mode in any of the trailers except Sephiroph’s. in sephiroth’s trailer we got

Sonic, cloud, bayonetta, banjo and richter which shows Nintendo held negotiations for FP2 with

Square Enix, Microsoft, Konami and Nintendo. 3 of the 4 have content in this pass whilst sega have nothing. We don’t know what sega got out of the negotiations but we know from Sephiroth’s trailer alone that they held negotiations.

Nintendo did the same for the base roster. Mega man appearing in the first cgi trailer and being the only cgi third party mode proved that capcom held talks for base roster with Nintendo and we ended up getting Ken.
Well it could mean Puyo Puyo as Mizuki Hosoyamada retweeted what would be Byleth’s reveal and the reveal of FP2

but I don’t think it means anything. The voice actor of Sol Badguy retweeted I believe what would have been Steve’s reveal but I don’t think that means anything either

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm.... I wonder how they could do that.

HMMMMMMM.....

More than anything I want that net code fixed

sick of the monster lag on eshop

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
He's doesn't just got a gun that shoots out anime girls, but a gun that can transform into a hovering sword, axe and lance.

Oh, and if Kiran's Smash personality is based on the Feh manga Kiran, he'd instantly become the best character in Smash Bros. Seriously, read all of the Feh Manga pages and tell me that Kiran is not the best Fire Emblem character. I'd pay to see a manga page where Kiran gets in Smash, he meets the characters in Smash Bros. and ends up not only doing some crazy shenanigans, but at one point talks to the villains so casually since he becomes very casual with the villains of FEH after summoning them.
While a character that is somehow the straight man and the weirdest one in the room would be funny, they'll probably just stick to what's in the game, which seems to be a soft spoken variant of the very vanilla RPG protagonist/avatar personality.

EDIT: Finding footage of him shooting Ike out of his gun does make me want him to join at some point though.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913

First of all, where's the Konami character?

Second of all, Pac-Man wasn't present even though we were getting Kazuya.

This is all coincidental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom