• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
What if we get another meter/rage mechanic but instead the character transformed into a fully new character with a new moveset?

Like, and I’m taking maybe an unpopular choice as an example because of her home series, but what if Tiki had a meter or rage mechanic where she transforms into her dragon form with either a full new moveset or a few set attacks like the old Super Dragon Final Smash?

Technomage

Smash Champion
What if we get another meter/rage mechanic but instead the character transformed into a fully new character with a new moveset?

Like, and I’m taking maybe an unpopular choice as an example because of her home series, but what if Tiki had a meter or rage mechanic where she transforms into her dragon form with either a full new moveset or a few set attacks like the old Super Dragon Final Smash?
That would be interesting. Another example could be Agumon temporarily evolving into Greymon (who is practically a stronger echo of Agumon).

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Ironically that’s how I imagine Sol’s Dragon Install and Dante’s Devil Trigger would work. Similar in form to Sephiroth, Terry, or Kazuya’s comeback mechanics.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So there are something that I am curious about

The SMTV Protagnist, Nahobino has been quite a hot topic lately a little bit, and there are some Opinions and Answers I'm curious about

1.Do we officially know if Nintendo funded SMTV in any way, and if so, in what way?

2.Do you believe Sakurai and the Team would have been able to have the assets available to decide on Nahobino being one of FP2's fighters (especially since they are working with 3rd party here)

3.Do you believe the game would be too recent to release as FP2 DLC (as the game comes out in November) or do you think even a Month timeframe is enough time needed

I only ask because I find that this situation with SMTV does have some substance to perhaps be seriously speculated, but I'm unsure what to truly think of the whole thing

Shadowvegeta

Smash Cadet

Agumon comes to mind. maybe a megaman character like Dr. Wily or Sigma.

osby

Smash Obsessed

The SMTV Protagnist, Nahobino has been quite a hot topic lately a little bit, and there are some Opinions and Answers I'm curious about

1.Do we officially know if Nintendo funded SMTV in any way, and if so, in what way?

2.Do you believe Sakurai and the Team would have been able to have the assets available to decide on Nahobino being one of FP2's fighters (especially since they are working with 3rd party here)

3.Do you believe the game would be too recent to release as FP2 DLC (as the game comes out in November) or do you think even a Month timeframe is enough time needed

I only ask because I find that this situation with SMTV does have some substance to perhaps be seriously speculated, but I'm unsure what to truly think of the whole thing
  1. As far as we know, SMTV didn't get any outside funding. I kinda doubt it did, afaik, ATLUS doesn't even get that much money from SEGA aside from collaboration projects.
  2. I think Sakurai would have access to some gameplay details or early build of the game if Nahobino is in Smash. Before than? I doubt it.
  3. Kinda, yeah. I can kinda see a cross-promotion with the final Smash DLC and SMT V release coinciding but that's a pretty big stretch.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

1. No it seems like the most Nintendo could’ve gotten into SMTV with is a exclusivity deal. As in they may have payed Atlus to have the game be exclusive. However, other than that it looks like the only other hand they have in the game is publishing in PAL regions
  2. It was announced at the Switch’s 1st Presentation so it’s probable that they at had at least concept for the protagonist by 2018 which is Pre-Base Ultimate, which is when Pass 1 was decided. So it’s possible for Sakurai to have gotten the SMTV protagonist, yes
  3. Judging by Hero, which is the closest thing we have to an advert character, there’s precedent they could easily release the SMTV protagonist before the game releases by a few months. And we really don’t know when CP11 is coming out. It could very well be September-November.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
  1. No it seems like the most Nintendo could’ve gotten into SMTV with is a exclusivity deal. As in they may have payed Atlus to have the game be exclusive. However, other than that it looks like the only other hand they have in the game is publishing in PAL regions
  2. It was announced at the Switch’s 1st Presentation so it’s probable that they at had at least concept for the protagonist by 2018 which is Pre-Base Ultimate, which is when Pass 1 was decided. So it’s possible for Sakurai to have gotten the SMTV protagonist, yes
  3. Judging by Hero, which is the closest thing we have to an advert character, there’s precedent they could easily release the SMTV protagonist before the game releases by a few months. And we really don’t know when CP11 is coming out. It could very well be September-November.
The difference between Hero and the SMTV protagonist is that DQ11 had already been out for about a year by the time he got revealed. As well, DQ11 was probably only a mitigating factor in negotiation; they wanted the franchise to be in smash, rather than as an attempt at promotion in including it. Square just agreed because it would also be hefty promotion.

Including the SMTV protagonist would probably be closer in nature to Byleth's inclusion.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay but do they transform into dragons and devils respectively or do they just get a li‘l red aura around their sword attacks?
Yeah, Dante especially changes a lot visually
I'd link Sol's too but every gif of post GG2, the one which had Sol change to look less human, keeps crashing on me and I don't want to post 2 videos

7NATOR

Smash Master

I think Jin would fit this, and probably the main reason he wasn't picked as the Rep for Tekken, since Jin and Devil Jin have 2 completely different movesets, as of right now anyway.

Technomage already stated Agumon, and we could kind of see this with how Super Smash Bros Crusade seems to be implementing him

Nightmare does have stronger forms with Inferno and also Night Terror

Akuma could have his Oni Form, or more simply his Shin Akuma Form, though the latter is more an expansion while the former is Different

Maybe if Dracula ever becomes playable, he could be an Example

Ironically that’s how I imagine Sol’s Dragon Install and Dante’s Devil Trigger would work. Similar in form to Sephiroth, Terry, or Kazuya’s comeback mechanics.
I'm unsure on all the details of Sol's Dragon Install, but I would say that I doubt Devil Trigger would be a comeback mechanic

I do believe you get Devil runes from getting attacked, but you get way more Devil Runes for Doing good, Doing Damage, and being stylish. Essentially you get rewarded for Playing good, So I actually think Devil Trigger would be closer to a Snowball mechanic than a Comeback mechanic

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The difference between Hero and the SMTV protagonist is that DQ11 had already been out for about a year by the time he got revealed. As well, DQ11 was probably only a mitigating factor in negotiation; they wanted the franchise to be in smash, rather than as an attempt at promotion in including it. Square just agreed because it would also be hefty promotion.

Including the SMTV protagonist would probably be closer in nature to Byleth's inclusion.
By all intents and purposes to the Nintendo Switch DQ11 was being presented as a New game. This is the only character that had a promotion for their “new game” directly after their character reveal trailer in the Direct. The precedent could be the same in a possible September Direct with the SMTV protagonist. Byleth’s game was out by the point of their reveal as well, the DLC was promoted separately shortly after the reveal, sure, but I’d say Hero has a much more substantial use of advertising for a character in Luminary than Byleth did. Even if they were going to get DQ in Smash either way the point still stands that they used Smash to promote DQXIS. That’s not even debatable. They put it back to back in the E3 Direct.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

I always thought this could be a very solid concept with Terra from FFVI being able to change into her Esper form with a very different moveset coming with it.

Twilord

Smash Ace

That was one of the more popular ideas for how Agumon might work when we didn't know the Bamco character we'd get, and the people doing Smash Bros Crusade seem intent on trying a version of that.

(Noteably the fan remake of the Digimon Arena Rumble fangame has a version of this too and is also a platform fighter. The characters aren't quite comparable to Smash Bros ones but it might give you some ideas if you're curious.)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think Jin would fit this, and probably the main reason he wasn't picked as the Rep for Tekken, since Jin and Devil Jin have 2 completely different movesets, as of right now anyway.

Technomage already stated Agumon, and we could kind of see this with how Super Smash Bros Crusade seems to be implementing him

Nightmare does have stronger forms with Inferno and also Night Terror

Akuma could have his Oni Form, or more simply his Shin Akuma Form, though the latter is more an expansion while the former is Different

Maybe if Dracula ever becomes playable, he could be an Example

I'm unsure on all the details of Sol's Dragon Install, but I would say that I doubt Devil Trigger would be a comeback mechanic

I do believe you get Devil runes from getting attacked, but you get way more Devil Runes for Doing good, Doing Damage, and being stylish. Essentially you get rewarded for Playing good, So I actually think Devil Trigger would be closer to a Snowball mechanic than a Comeback mechanic
I mean, Persona 5 straight up don't have a comeback mechanic, yet Arsene works as one in Smash.

I don't think Sakurai is that interested in adding snowball mechanics into Smash, seeing how it's fundamentally built on leveling the playfield.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Tiki would definitely have the transform mechanic, but since the dragon form is the only way Manaketes attack in Fire Emblem, and the design space for Fire Emblem characters are often made to incorporate strategy (Perfect spacing, using the right weapon, managing spells, etc.) I don't think Dragon Tiki would be a comeback mechanic.

EDIT: I think it would more likely be a Pyra/Mythra style stance change.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
By all intents and purposes to the Nintendo Switch DQ11 was being presented as a New game. This is the only character that had a promotion for their “new game” directly after their character reveal trailer in the Direct. The precedent could be the same in a possible September Direct with the SMTV protagonist. Byleth’s game was out by the point of their reveal as well, the DLC was promoted separately shortly after the reveal, sure, but I’d say Hero has a much more substantial use of advertising for a character in Luminary than Byleth did. Even if they were going to get DQ in Smash either way the point still stands that they used Smash to promote DQXIS. That’s not even debatable. They put it back to back in the E3 Direct.
Them using it to promote 11s doesn't make Hero a promotional character. That had nothing to do with the inclusion whatsoever. I NEVER once said that Hero wasn't used to promote the game. Just that his inclusion to begin with wasn't with that intent; it had everything to do with the legacy of the franchise, and saying Hero was the "closest to an advert we have" completely disregards the merits of including DQ when Byleth exists.

Right after Byleth's reveal, they put out a trailer for Three Houses' DLC, so would that not also put Byleth on the "same level" you're making Hero out to be?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
They have never added a 3rd party just to shill an upcoming game before. And I don't know if they would do it now.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Them using it to promote 11s doesn't make Hero a promotional character. That had nothing to do with the inclusion whatsoever. I NEVER once said that Hero wasn't used to promote the game. Just that his inclusion to begin with wasn't with that intent; it had everything to do with the legacy of the franchise, and saying Hero was the "closest to an advert we have" completely disregards the merits of including DQ when Byleth exists.

Right after Byleth's reveal, they put out a trailer for Three Houses' DLC, so would that not also put Byleth on the "same level" you're making Hero out to be?
You’ve misconstrued my point. I never inferred that Hero was chosen because of promotion. Only that the timeline of development coincided enough to be a promotional pick. So like, yea we know that DQ was going to make it anyways but there’s precedent that they aligned the schedules to allow for Hero to promote DQ11. It’s possible the same could happen with SMTV. That was my entire point. And if you read all of my post you’ll see that I acknowledge the last sentence of your post. You can’t really call Byleth the same when the main Three Houses game was already out by that point. Promoting DLC isn’t the same as promoting an entire game which is why I pointed out that in the timeframe of Hero’s reveal DQXIS was still technically “new” to Switch and coming out soon while Three Houses had already been released.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
They have never added a 3rd party just to shill an upcoming game before. And I don't know if they would do it now.
In fairness, adding SMTV protagonist isn't just "for the intents of shilling", but I can't say that SMT's legacy is particularly noteworthy to elevate it to the level that Nintendo would want to promote the franchise within smash, especially when the sole reason they would pick it is because of SMTV being upcoming. It's not like Dragon Quest where it's a hugely iconic and popular franchise, or like Fire Emblem where they own the thing, and naturally want it to succeed. It's neither a big deal nor is it something they have financial interest in making succeed to that point.
You can’t really call Byleth the same when the main Three Houses game was already out by that point. Promoting DLC isn’t the same as promoting an entire game which is why I pointed out that in the timeframe of Hero’s reveal DQXIS was still technically “new” to Switch and coming out soon while Three Houses had already been released.
The main DQ11 game was also already out by the time Hero was included. It being a "new addition" on switch is completely splitting hairs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's a pretty valid reasoning to believe Hayabusa would get a lot of flack for potentially being the last DLC character in Ultimate because of how dumb the takes are from the people within the Smash community. He's been rumored since Joker kicked off Vol 1 a bit discretely since Steve and Doom Slayer were the talk of the town the whole time until a few months after Hero and BK were revealed when things started kicking into full gear with 1 false leak and so on. Even if you find Hayabusa to be a cool addition, there's no doubt a good portion of the Smash community will react a lot harshly about his reveal in comparison to a lot of other characters. All you really can do is tell them cope seethe cope cope since they aren't gonna listen when you explain to them why Hayabusa was a great addition.

This is also a good time to bring up a fun topic I've been holding off for a few weeks. Everyone knows by now that CP11 will not be catered to everyone since it's practically impossible to do so. Everyone has different tastes, but we also know some characters will get harsher reactions than others, so what would be the biggest and dumbest takes people will have against a character being revealed last and what would you have to say to them about it?

With Dynasty Warriors, I can absolutely understand people not being into the games at all, but I'd call them out on a heartbeat if they act like they've never heard of the series before when Nintendo has a handful of Musou titles for 2 of their biggest IPs, especially if those same people want Impa in Smash and base her off of her Hyrule Warriors counterpart.

With Zagreus, most of the dumb takes would come from people who believe Hades isn't old enough and doesn't have longevity to prove its worth being in Smash despite the fact that this game was readily available under Early Access VIA Epic Games Store and Steam a year later long before it officially released and the fact it was nominated for a good portion of awards including GOTY and even won the Action and Indie game categories at the same show Sephiroth was revealed. Even the reception of Hades from people who've played it has been met with an incredible amount of positive reviews with very few critiques about it, so this game's definitely got more than enough to back its worth in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think what Ness means is the Original reason the characters were chosen

While Dragon Quest 11 did get alot of promotion alongside the addition to Smash, unlike with Byleth, Dragon Quest probably wasn't added to promote a recent game coming to the Switch, but because of the Legacy and popularity of the Franchise that has been established

When it comes to Shin Megami Tensi, alot of people (including me) are looking at this case in a similar way to Byleth, in that Nintendo is wanting a Character from a game people would be playing now, which is why Byleth was included, and that SMTV would fit this

Of course there is the theory that Nintendo had wanted to Include the Shin Megami Tensi even back then, and that adding Persona in FP1 might have been a way of aiding in the popularity of Atlus games like Shin Megami Tensi, so when they do add in Shin Megami Tensi, they get more love, However part of me kind of doubts that since Shin Megami Tensi is kind of niche, and the franchises where Nintendo were specifically namedropped as a reason for their inclusion (Dragon Quest, Minecraft, Tekken) are much bigger franchises in comparison, with even Persona being a bigger franchise at the time of FP1 decision

So I think the Byleth Angle fits more for Shin Megami Tensi, than the angle for Hero

I mean, Persona 5 straight up don't have a comeback mechanic, yet Arsene works as one in Smash.

I don't think Sakurai is that interested in adding snowball mechanics into Smash, seeing how it's fundamentally built on leveling the playfield.
The thing is that in the case of Persona 5, it's a case of adding a type of mechanic that wasn't present in the game, instead of Replacing the type of mechanic established

Looking at the characters with Comeback Mechanics (Lucario, Little Mac, Cloud kind of, Joker, Terry, Sephiroth, Kazuya), the Mechanics they are using in Smash either have been used as Comeback mechanics in the past, or didn't have a particular mechanic attached to it

I do think Sakurai is more willing to add Comeback Mechanics than Snowball Mechanics, but I don't think he'd be against the idea of a Snowball mechanic, and I don't think he's gonna change what has already been established mechanically in the home series, especially if 3rd party.

Devil Trigger has worked more like a Snowball Mechanic since it's Inception, and it ties into a Main element of DMC of being stylish. Getting bodied is not stylish, so while you may still get a little Devil rune when you get hit, you don't get as Much when you are doing good, and I think Sakurai would keep that element when Transitioning Dante to Smash as Hypothetical character perhaps next game

Plus I think a Snowball Mechanic could work even within the Casual game of Smash, but it really depends on the character we are talking about here. I know a Certain character that would work better with a Snowball mechanic since not only has this type of mechanic been established in the Series, but it also works as a balancing tool while still allowing this character to feel as Powerful as they can be without breaking the game

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

They're not against snowball type mechanics since there is one in the game already with Steve's mining & crafting (and arguably Sephiroth's One Winged state), but there would definitely be at least few asterisks involved given how many there are with Steve (as well as One Winged state).

Since Dante's Devil Trigger is built up like other comeback mechanics in Super Smash Bros., is about as powerful as they typically are, and the character isn't particularly weak on his own, Devil Trigger would probably lean towards comeback mechanic in terms of design.

A character that would definitely have a snowball mechanic would be Quote from Cave Story since the Level Up mechanic found in that game would force that type of design. Even so he would probably have the stipulation that the mechanic snowballs both ways, he starts at a disadvantage, and getting hit a bunch causes him to level down, meaning you can keep his power levels in check. Also at a best case scenario, getting K.O.'ed levels you down automatically in a best case scenario, but realistically you'd start back at Level 1.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I’ve kinda given up on hoping for my most wanted’s at this point so I just hope the trailer is a WOL continuation like Sephiroph’s was and is huge budget. At the end of the day this is the last fighter and it’s gonna be a tad upsetting if we don’t get some cool cgi trailer to end things off.

My most wanted’s aren’t even that out of reach but I’ve given up on them

A sonic rep
Professor Layton
And King boo

I have slight hope for a sonic rep and that’s probably it. Only reason the slight hope exists is because of Sephiroph’s trailer and the lack of sega content in this pass compared to practically every company that was represented in the first pass.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Lots of confusion with my post in here. The point was that if Sakurai decided to get an SMT character and SMTV was on the horizon there’s precedent that he could’ve worked with Atlus to align the reveal of an SMT character with a new SMT game and use smash to promote said new game in the way they did with Hero and DQXIS. I’m not oblivious enough to think that they would pick Hero or an SMT character for the sole reason to promote an upcoming game but I won’t disregard that there’s a possibility scheduling of the SMT character and the release of SMTV was purposely aligned in the same way that Hero and DQXIS and; to a degree, Byleth and Three Houses DLC was already.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’ve kinda given up on hoping for my most wanted’s at this point so I just hope the trailer is a WOL continuation like Sephiroph’s was and is huge budget. At the end of the day this is the last fighter and it’s gonna be a tad upsetting if we don’t get some cool cgi trailer to end things off.

My most wanted’s aren’t even that out of reach but I’ve given up on them

A sonic rep
Professor Layton
And King boo

I have slight hope for a sonic rep and that’s probably it. Only reason the slight hope exists is because of Sephiroph’s trailer and the lack of sega content in this pass compared to practically every company that was represented in the first pass.
I have this theory that the final character will have a final battle vs both Galeem and Dharkon themed trailer to contrast Sephiroth (Galeem/Light Realm theme) and Hero (Dharkon/Dark Realm theme)

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I have this theory that the final character will have a final battle vs both Galeem and Dharkon themed trailer to contrast Sephiroth (Galeem/Light Realm theme) and Hero (Dharkon/Dark Realm theme)

Let’s hear it. I’m interested in your theory

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Lots of confusion with my post in here. The point was that if Sakurai decided to get an SMT character and SMTV was on the horizon there’s precedent that he could’ve worked with Atlus to align the reveal of an SMT character with a new SMT game and use smash to promote said new game in the way they did with Hero and DQXIS. I’m not oblivious enough to think that they would pick Hero or an SMT character for the sole reason to promote an upcoming game but I won’t disregard that there’s a possibility scheduling of the SMT character and the release of SMTV was purposely aligned in the same way that Hero and DQXIS and; to a degree, Byleth and Three Houses DLC was already.
I wasn't confused by your post at all. That "purposeful alignment" you're talking about also needs to have applied to SMTV at least a year prior to us knowing what the game looked like and at least two years before we even had any kind of gameplay. The timeline does not function at all unless they're specifically setting aside a slot a la Pokemon or FE, and for a series as small as SMT that they don't own, that's incredibly unlikely.

The "importance" that SMTV has to Nintendo is also incredibly overstated. Nintendo only asked for ATLUS to present something at their conference in order to assure the public that the Switch would not have the same third party deficiency that the Wii U had. That's the reason they had that whole infographic of companies involved with switch development.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Given that both characters that did this were Square Enix characters, I don't expect this to happen unless Square Enix double dips and gets a 2nd fighter in FP2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Given that both characters that did this were Square Enix characters, I don't expect this to happen unless Square Enix double dips and gets a 2nd fighter in FP2.
I want to believe them both being S-E characters was a coincidence and they would have done those themed trailers anyway

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Dante will be a very interesting character to see implemented one day:
  • By design, he has to be combo heavy. Characters that are designed to be combo heavy tend to have some really dumb stuff:
    • Ryu, Ken, and Terry have an auto-correcting jab as a K.O. setup.
      • Terry's in particular is also a hit confirm because his combo route starts after jab 2.
    • Bayonetta had her infamous ladder combos.
    • Kazuya...is Kazuya.
  • Not only that, but he wields a greatsword like a normal one handed sword like Cloud does.
  • Depending on what they add to his kit, he could also be an aerial rave character, which haven't yet found a sweetspot of good, but not SSS Tier.
  • Devil Trigger has so much potential to be utterly ridiculous regardless of how it was implimented, and will make all of the prior design challenges even more difficult.
I'm not saying he will be broken, but there are a lot of areas where the design could go wrong and I wonder how they'll deal with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom