• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Whoever the final character is, they’re going to be met with a certain amount of negativity because the final character is the final character. A lot of people are hoping that their character is the last character which, let’s be honest, is like a 1/1000000 shot.

On Hayabusa. There’s a piece of me that doesn’t want him to be the last character because he would be met with all of that negativity but then again I’m not one to really be concerned by the certain sect of the Smash fanbases negativity over… literally everything. I don’t think Hayabusa is the last one but it would be kind of poetic for him to exist in DLC speculation from the very start and then finally make it at the very end.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
One of the more unique ideas I had for a Pokemon character was one of the villains but they have a Pokemon to fight with. It wouldn't be like Pokemon Trainer where you have to have three Pokemon to swap, I'm thinking like... Lusamine w/ Nihilego

Considering Nihilego is a parasite, there's a lot you could do with it, especially if it's attached to a human character like Lusamine. Down special could be a counter featuring Lusamine throwing out one of her other (similarly infected) Pokemon to take a hit for Nihilego and either
A. Counterattack, probably alternating in function depending on what Pokemon is sent out
B. Get KO'd and sapped of its strength as thanks using Beast Boost
C. Both

That's just one idea I had. Pokemon Trainer's three-in-one mechanic is great and should be kept but I like the idea of a trainer using one Pokemon and having their whole kit revolve around that Pokemon. It kinda surprises me so little people have actually considered this. Like you would think someone would look at Pokemon Masters and go "hmm"
I had a really cool idea for Rosa in Smash. Where instead of being a normal trainer, she fought alongside her Pokémon. Her Outfit works perfectly for that concept, and it would help emphasize the themes of Black and White. I think it could be cool, even if it will never happen.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
On Hayabusa. There’s a piece of me that doesn’t want him to be the last character because he would be met with all of that negativity but then again I’m not one to really be concerned by the certain sect of the Smash fanbases negativity over… literally everything. I don’t think Hayabusa is the last one but it would be kind of poetic for him to exist in DLC speculation from the very start and then finally make it at the very end.
Hayabusa and Doomguy have been speculated on for what, around 2 years now?

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Porky as one of the, what, five first party characters is actually a ballsy choice, I’ll give it that.

As far as pessimism vs optimism, “expect the worst and hope for the best“ is a tried and true way to get extra hype in but the weird prescriptivism around it in the paternalistic and ”protective” culture some people partake in like they are the shepherds of the fandom is getting on my nerves. I’m expecting my most wanted for now, I might get burned with someone I do not care for thanks to the hillariously small range of games I play but I’ll live.

Hayabusa would be cool but again firmly falls under the wide umbrella of franchises or characters I don’t have a particular connection to.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It should be noted that pessimism is fine as long as you don't act like an asshole about it by constantly doomposting. Like, you expect to be disappointed? Ok, neat, you do you, just don't constantly go "Oh guys it's gonna be soooooo disappointing we're probably gonna get insert whatever character you don't want and it's gonna suuuuuuuuck" all the time

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With expectations, there's also spectrum of things to hope for beyond just the hype of the character's status themselves. I don't have any real hype of the last character being from a franchise I'm interested in (as both fighter's passes have been very hit and miss on that front), just that I enjoy their playstyle, which has been a pretty strong batting average. I've never played a single FE or Xenoblade title, but I actually find Byleth and Pyra/Mytha more satisfying to use in matches than much of the roster, including those from series I have played to death like Sonic and Star Fox.

Stratos

Smash Ace
The Professor Layton series games were launched on Nintendo portable consoles, some others have been released on Android and iOS. However, it has not been released on XBOX and Playstation consoles series. Professor Hershel Layton, in addition to being an archaeologist, has shown that he can also use a sword. Given the history of his video games with Nintendo it might be a good opportunity to come as the latest DLC character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I was back reading a little and I have a question

what’s an “install”?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
With expectations, there's also spectrum of things to hope for beyond just the hype of the character's status themselves. I don't have any real hype of the last character being from a franchise I'm interested in (as both fighter's passes have been very hit and miss on that front), just that I enjoy their playstyle, which has been a pretty strong batting average. I've never played a single FE or Xenoblade title, but I actually find Byleth and Pyra/Mytha more satisfying to use in matches than much of the roster, including those from series I have played to death like Sonic and Star Fox.
Agreed. While I like the characters that really push what a Smash moveset can be, I equally value the movesets that feel more grounded and don’t try to be a home game simulator. Sepiroth in my opinion strikes a great balance between accessible and fresh and is one of my favorite DLC additions because of it, whereas Steve‘s addition on great on paper and just “to have” on the roster.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

what’s an “install”?
An install is a special move in a fighting game where it changes the fundamental moveset of a character. For instance in Marvel vs Capcom 1 Ryu has an install that gives him Kens Moves. In Tekken Devil Kazuya is an Install for Kazuya while Devil Jin is a separate character from Jin.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
An install is a special move in a fighting game where it changes the fundamental moveset of a character. For instance in Marvel vs Capcom 1 Ryu has an install that gives him Kens Moves. In Tekken Devil Kazuya is an Install for Kazuya while Devil Jin is a separate character from Jin
Would Pyra and Mythra count as an install?

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

what’s an “install”?
An install is a special move in a fighting game where it changes the fundamental moveset of a character. For instance in Marvel vs Capcom 1 Ryu has an install that gives him Kens Moves. In Tekken Devil Kazuya is an Install for Kazuya while Devil Jin is a separate character from Jin
Another good example would be Dante's and Vergil's Devil Trigger in UMVC3.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

what’s an “install”?
You know how Devil Trigger works in MvC? That. To quote the handy dandy Fighting Game Glossary:
A powered-up state some characters can enter that will change move properties and maybe grant new moves entirely. Installs are almost always on a timer that tells you how much longer you get to enjoy the benefits before you return to your mortal self. Custom combo supers like Genei Jin or A-Groove and systems like Street Fighter V's V-Trigger and Killer Instinct's Instinct mode are common installs you will find.

You'll hear the word "activate" or "pop" often used when people turn on these modes, as in "Yun players like to do shoulder into activate" or "don't forget to pop Instinct once per round". The source of the term probably comes from Sol Badguy's "Dragon Install" super move.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Agreed. While I like the characters that really push what a Smash moveset can be, I equally value the movesets that feel more grounded and don’t try to be a home game simulator. Sepiroth in my opinion strikes a great balance between accessible and fresh and is one of my favorite DLC additions because of it, whereas Steve‘s addition on great on paper and just “to have” on the roster.
And what's often forgotten is that one person's technical fighter can be another's natural fit in terms of moveset. I can't get into Olimar or Hero that much because the nature of their playstyle focus throws me off too much in a heated Smash battle, yet Steve easily became one of my favorites because the mining and creation of tools felt like something I could effectively multitask with. I've heard some describe Snake as a more technical fighter when he's one of the easiest ones for me to use.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
The Professor Layton series games were launched on Nintendo portable consoles, some others have been released on Android and iOS. However, it has not been released on XBOX and Playstation consoles series. Professor Hershel Layton, in addition to being an archaeologist, has shown that he can also use a sword. Given the history of his video games with Nintendo it might be a good opportunity to come as the latest DLC character.
Layton’s nothing off a sword fighter. I’d do anything for Layton though. Level 5 are such a scummy company that it would be down to sakurai to influence them into allowing Layton. They sacrifice most of their best franchises just so they can milk yo Kai watch these days. Layton franchise has been their best selling franchise for a decade and they lobbed it under a bus on purpose so they can milk yo Kai watch. It’s a shame. If we do get a level 5 rep I hope sakurai could work his magic like he’s done with Pac-Mans design, hero, more FF content and much more.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
And what's often forgotten is that one person's technical fighter can be another's natural fit in terms of moveset. I can't get into Olimar or Hero that much because the nature of their playstyle focus throws me off too much in a heated Smash battle, yet Steve easily became one of my favorites because the mining and creation of tools felt like something I could effectively multitask with. I've heard some describe Snake as a more technical fighter when he's one of the easiest ones for me to use.
Yup, Pac-Man fit me like a glove in Smash 4 which is why I have no fundamentals to speak off.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I have a huge list of characters that I would love to see as newcomers to the Super Smash Bros. series and I'm not just writing about Super Smash Bros. 6 as you understand, I'm write about the series in general.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And now for a post I'd like to call: "Guy who Doesn't Know Anything About Tekken Speculates on what Heihachi's Moveset Would Have Been"

Neutral Attack: 10 Hit Combo (hits all the same beats as Kazuya’s, but the individual moves aren’t the same)

Neutral Attack (staggered): Flash Punch Combo (might alternatively have some more fancy inputs for his Demon Slayer combo moves)

Forward Tilt: Monzenbarai (Similar to Oni Front Kick, but it’s two kicks)

Down-Forward Tilt: Demon’s Wings-Heihachi spins and hits you with his forearm (probably hits on both sides to some extent)

Down Tilt: Hammer Beating-two punches

Down-Back Tilt: Angekisai-an advancing crouch followed by two punches (probably has significant full body intangibility)

Back Tilt: Shingetsusen (an extremely similar move to Flash Tornado)

Up-Back Tilt: Jumping Mid Kick (similar to Jump Side Kick)

Up-Back Tilt (Held): Jumping Low Kick (same as the prior move, but delayed, and hits low)

Up Tilt: Hooking Crescent Kick (Similar to Twin Pistons, but Heichachi kicks)

Up-Forward Tilt: Hell Axle (similar to Roundhouse to Triple Spin Kick, but not as long a combo)

Crouch Attack: Crouch Jab

Forward Crouch Attack: Dark Thrust-another forearm smack attack

Back Crouch Attack: Crouching Dragon Kick (same as Crouching Spin Kick)

Uncrouching Attack: Quick Iron Fist-A quick palm strike (wait wat?)

Dash Attack: Leaping Side Kick

Double Dash Attack: Left Splits Kick
Neutral Aerial: Jumping Knuckle

Forward Aerial: Wind Slicer-A spin kick

Back Aerial: Jumping Sobat

Up Aerial: Rising Toe Kick

Down Aerial: Demon Scissors
Forward Smash: Lightning Hammer-A huge punch (Heihachi brings down his fist rather than punching straight)

Up Smash: Demon Uppercut-An uppercut
Down Smash: Jinchinsai-A huge leg stomp
Command Input (Dragon Punch): Crouch Dash

Attack (out of Crouch Dash): Wind God Fist

Perfect Attack (out of Crouch Dash): Electric Wind God Fist

I don’t remember how this one works (out of Crouch Dash): Dragon Uppercut

Command Input (Fake Dragon Punch): Spinning Demon Uppercut (similar to Spinning Demon to Left Hook)

Double Back Dash: Shadow Step-I dunno if they’d include it, but a move where Heihachi just runs away (while laughing as if he were super proud of himself) sounds hilarious

Command Input (Back to Forward + Attack Button): Tenma Destroyer-A punch followed by a palm strike

Command Input (Back to Forward + Special Attack Button): Tenma Barrage-A punch followed by a kick
Neutral Special: Chrome Dome-A head-butt that spikes

Neutral Special (During Rage): Rage Drive-Heihachi spins and strikes an opponent in front of him with his forearm, then head-butts (consumes Rage)

Side Special: Raijin Stance-Hehachi stomps forward, entering a stance. There are a few moves that can be executed afterward, and it parries physical attacks at the start.

Attack Button (During Raijin Stance): Fusatsujin Hasaiken-A left hook that hits high

Special Attack Button (During Raijin Stance): Lightning Bolt-An electric punch with a lot of startup

Both Attack Buttons (During Raijin Stance): Raijin’s Wrath-Two punches

Up Special: ??? (Something made up most likely)

Down Special: Battering Ram-An electric punch to the ground (trips all opponents on the same platform as Heihachi)

Not entirely sure what this accomplishes but...I dunno. It's kinda interesting.

EDIT: It's probably worth noting that due to the lack of a devil form, both of Heihachi's jumps would suck, and his Up Special might be better to compensate (but he still might have a worse recovery overall)

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think the list of characters that could end this Pass and not illicit a net negative reaction are going to be like Master Chief, Crash, Sora, and like mayyyybe Rayman and Phoenix Wright. Like the expectation of a general first party option isn't going to blunt the actual reaction when it comes down to it because people just want those huge crossovers and for the end of Ultimate ending on a lowkey note like that is kind of anticlimactic. Ending on a weird Sakurai pick may be a fitting end to Sakurai's 10 year history on a basically an ongoing Smash, but I suspect would also be super dead on arrival because like, is a playable Master Hand on the roster or something cool? Sure! As the last character of a Pass in which it takes with it all the remaining hopes and dreams of fans? Not quite the same.

A lowkey third party? Also probably not gonna get the love it deserves as we've pointed out with Ryu Hayabusa. I think the same would be true for like Ys or Puyo Puyo despite being neat crossovers, they're Japanese focused franchises that have slowly begun to break out more and more outside of Japan, but they're still occupying more niche circles and don't have the cultural "mind share" to hold the weight of the final reveal. I think there's going to very few options that leave people with a net satisfied and we're at the point where even fan requests like Geno or Isaac getting a last minute promotion probably wouldn't go over as well outside of their respective fandoms. I think a Waluigi upgrade would be actually one of the most controversial picks too because I think again, he'd be incredibly anti-climactic to a lot of people who don't harbor the same love that his fans do

It's going to be a hell of a show no matter who ends up though.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Layton’s nothing off a sword fighter. I’d do anything for Layton though. Level 5 are such a scummy company that it would be down to sakurai to influence them into allowing Layton. They sacrifice most of their best franchises just so they can milk yo Kai watch these days. Layton franchise has been their best selling franchise for a decade and they lobbed it under a bus on purpose so they can milk yo Kai watch. It’s a shame. If we do get a level 5 rep I hope sakurai could work his magic like he’s done with Pac-Mans design, hero, more FF content and much more.
Don't you think that's a little harsh? Keep in mind, Yo-kai Watch was HUGE when it first came out in Japan.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
"Hello! I'm Masahiro Sakurai! Today, we'll be showing off the final Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC fighter. Believe it or not, only myself and a few others know of the identity of this fighter, and we worked very hard to make this final pack enjoyable. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the trailer! I look forward to seeing Twitter crash again!"

Cue trailer.
:4pacman: :4pacman:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
YR if

Against ALL ODDS, the Final Character really is WALUIGI

And he comes with a Waluigi's Island stage from Mario Party 3, therefore making it both a Waluigi stage and a late Piranha Plant stage (as well as a first Mario Party stage)

Then it turns out Waluigi's Island is one of the remaining 2 boards for Mario Party Superstars

And then Waluigi releases in October around that timeframe of MP Superstars' release.

WHATCHA GONNA DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Don't you think that's a little harsh? Keep in mind, Yo-kai Watch was HUGE when it first came out in Japan.
It’s harsh to an extent but it’s also the truth. The reason they have their success is because of the Layton franchise. It was their first successful series which paved the way for yo Kai watch as well. Both have been fantastic franchises but ever since yo Kai got compared to pokemon they’ve been milking it and dropping their other franchises to make yo Kai this huge successful franchise.

Layton franchise sits at around 20 million sales and has done for the last few years. Yo Kai watch has only recently got to 16 million sales.

Instead of improving on the Layton franchise and keep building it up they just tossed it to the side with many other franchises they have.

Sad thing is that the Layton games sold relatively well In Japan and sold great outside of Japan whereas outside Japan yo Kai watch didn’t even sell well and relied on Japan for their sales.

It might seem harsh but it’s truth and truth is harsh in many ways.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Tbf the franchise seems to have fallen off hard, especially overseas. Didn't they also try an edgy reboot?
I personally didn't get the second game and onward because I didn't like the "capture" mechanics.

If you want a specific Yo-Kai, you have to find like, 10 of them (which isn't as simple as walking through tall grass) because it's incredibly random as to whether or not a Yo-Kai will want to befriend you even if you give it its favorite food. Meanwhile, if a Yo-Kai you don't want decides to try and befriend you, you have to break their little hearts by rejecting them.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
An install is a special move in a fighting game where it changes the fundamental moveset of a character. For instance in Marvel vs Capcom 1 Ryu has an install that gives him Kens Moves. In Tekken Devil Kazuya is an Install for Kazuya while Devil Jin is a separate character from Jin.
Ironically, it's namesake, Sol Badguy's Dragon Install, isn't really that.

Technomage

Smash Champion
One of the more unique ideas I had for a Pokemon character was one of the villains but they have a Pokemon to fight with. It wouldn't be like Pokemon Trainer where you have to have three Pokemon to swap, I'm thinking like... Lusamine w/ Nihilego

Considering Nihilego is a parasite, there's a lot you could do with it, especially if it's attached to a human character like Lusamine. Down special could be a counter featuring Lusamine throwing out one of her other (similarly infected) Pokemon to take a hit for Nihilego and either
A. Counterattack, probably alternating in function depending on what Pokemon is sent out
B. Get KO'd and sapped of its strength as thanks using Beast Boost
C. Both

That's just one idea I had. Pokemon Trainer's three-in-one mechanic is great and should be kept but I like the idea of a trainer using one Pokemon and having their whole kit revolve around that Pokemon. It kinda surprises me so little people have actually considered this. Like you would think someone would look at Pokemon Masters and go "hmm"
That's definitely a great idea to adding a human character to Pokemon. Maybe it could also play mostly like a Nihilego would as a Pokemon?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's definitely a great idea to adding a human character to Pokemon. Maybe it could also play mostly like a Nihilego would as a Pokemon?
No it would just be Pokémon Trainer, but with Mismagius, Liligant, and Bewear.

Ideally, though as a callback to how the battle actually worked, they might do something with Lusamine's Pokémon, be it a puppet fighter mechanic, an assist type thing, or something else.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
YR if

And he comes with a Waluigi's Island stage from Mario Party 3, therefore making it both a Waluigi stage and a late Piranha Plant stage (as well as a first Mario Party stage)

Then it turns out Waluigi's Island is one of the remaining 2 boards for Mario Party Superstars

And then Waluigi releases in October around that timeframe of MP Superstars' release.

As someone who has Waluigi in high regards as one of my favorites from the Mario cast, and the fact I wanted him badly in Brawl this would be kind of underwhelming all things considered.
First off, he's a 1st party from a franchise that isn't exactly lacking content at all. His whole identity boils down to spin-off appearances (a role which Daisy already fulfills) and his spirit board would have to feature a lot of C/D-listers from Mario sports games which would make it look like a mess, so he doesn't help to expand the crossover concept any further than many of the other ATs could.
Granted, I'd be glad if he was a bonus character of sorts, but it wouldn't sit well with me if he took a DLC slot all for himself. It just doesn't feel like the best choice.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I dont think I will believe any leak that doesnt have any evidence to back up its claims with proof. At this point, anyone can give any names without risks so there is no point. And I havent heard on any leaks that are currently still standing so it seems like we might get a surprise for the last character (unless someone leaks images/video).

Still, I must say I am disappointed by the eaks of smash ultimate. Outside the fake mii costume leak, there hasnt been any effort put to make a high quality believable leak.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Tbf the franchise seems to have fallen off hard, especially overseas. Didn't they also try an edgy reboot?
Yo-kai Watch 4 isn't a reboot, it is edgy (from what I've seen.) but it was still a sequel to the first 3 with the main character of those games still being one of the playable characters in 4. I think even the anime made before it was still a sequel too.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
It doesn't have Pyra/Mythra either.
It does have Heihachi and Rex though, so maybe it was outdated info like the Gematsu leak?
Or it's utter bs. If you put 40 characters on a list together, the odds are pretty good that you'll be getting at least a few right. Min Min/ARMS not being there should just outright kill it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly I’m expecting the final fighter to NOT be leaked

Corrin and Bayonetta weren’t leaked back in the 4 days iirc

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ironically, it's namesake, Sol Badguy's Dragon Install, isn't really that.
His dragon install gives all of his moves different properties right? It’s the same with Golden Freiza. It’s an “upgrade super” but people just refer to them as installs.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
YR if

I’d be really hyped because I actually played a game with him in it. I do need to know what his moveset, music and Spirit Board would entail but the concept itself would be a very solid “woah the madlads did it!”. I have no connection to his stage though so I’d feel wholly neutral towards that and I would probably also agree with people that say he wasn‘t exactly the best fit for a challenger pack. (Although I’d say Pyra and Mythra already very handily stretched up that definition with a good amount of reused Spirits)

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Would Pyra and Mythra count as an install?
Not necessarily? Because it’s not the same character it’s multiple but it’s a very grey area. I think a more apt comparison in terms of Smash would be Shulk’s different arts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom