• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Looking back on my old posts, these predictions I made 6 months ago got a good kick out of me:
Challenger Pack 9 will be revealed in March and release in May.
Assuming E3 comes back, Challenger Packs 10 and 11 will both be revealed there. If not, CP10 will be revealed sometime in June and release in August
Challenger Pack 9 or 10 will be the Hunter in order to promote Monster Hunter Rise, and the Hunter and Rathalos Mii Fighter costumes will return here.
The Lloyd Mii Fighter costume will return with any DLC fighter, not necessarily a Bandai Namco one. That said, if we were to get another Bandai Namco character, I believe it would be Chosen Undead.
None of the remaining Fighters Pass vol. 2 fighters will be first party, since we already had Min Min.
This is why you don't do predictions, kids.

Screw it, here's more:
  • CP11 will be either Nahobino or Octoling. Those two feel low-key enough to follow Smash's pattern of additions getting progressively smaller. In addition, the former would be a blatant shill and the latter would be mistaken by fans as a blatant shill, both of which are common in Smash.
  • In case it isn't one of those two, it won't be Cinderace either. Even if DLC Spirit Events don't disconfirm given that DLC Mii Fighter costumes don't either, Pokémon Sword/Shield's boat has already sailed - new mainline Pokemon games have been announced since they launched over a year and a half ago.
  • There is no bonus fighter.
Edit: I also believe the final character won't be a Smash original character like Tabuu. It simply doesn't make sense to me why they'd sell a Smash OC as DLC - if they were to be playable, they'd have been unlockable in their debut game's base game.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
This is why you don't do predictions, kids.
My advice is to state your logic as clearly as possible; and hope people remember it as well as they do your answer.

For example my friends knew I was predicting a Agumon or Mametchi because:

• Bandai Namco seemed like a sure thing.
  • Lloyd was waaaay too obvious.
  • The franchise would be ongoing.
  • The franchise would be inhouse.
  • It would be one Nintendo or Sakurai felt had an interesting role in gaming history.
  • That left Tekken, Soul-Calibur, Tamagotchi, or Digimon.
  • There was no way Soul-Calibur was getting in over Tekken.
  • Nintendo have a lot of respect for the Game&Watch model of portable gaming, which Digimon and Tamagotchi retain.

Technically each of those arguments was validated in the Direct, I just got one point wrong. I assumed they'd have saved any Tekken content for a Tekken character.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Here's my predictions.

1. I expect a September reveal for FP11. October is the absolute latest I can see FP11 released.
2. I highly doubt a TGA reveal will happen unless CP11 is on Steve/Kazyua level of complexity.
3. For me, CP11 is either a Sega rep, a first-party character, or a third party from a company that currently lacks a fighter.
4. I highly doubt a Capcom rep is getting in at this point. Too many of the more popular and likely reps have been deconfirmed through Spirit Events, Mii Fighter costumes, or both.
5. I expect CP11 to be a character created by a Japanese company. They may have some appeal in the West or not.
6. I don't expect third party companies to double dip and get two fighters in a single Pass.
7. Given the current treatment of Indie characters in Smash I don't expect CP11 to be one.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Here's my predictions.

1. I expect a September reveal for FP11. October is the absolute latest I can see FP11 released.
2. I highly doubt a TGA reveal will happen unless CP11 is on Steve/Kazyua level of complexity.
3. For me, CP11 is either a Sega rep, a first-party character, or a third party from a company that currently lacks a fighter.
4. I highly doubt a Capcom rep is getting in at this point. Too many of the more popular and likely reps have been deconfirmed through Spirit Events, Mii Fighter costumes, or both.
5. I expect CP11 to be a character created by a Japanese company. They may have some appeal in the West or not.
6. I don't expect third party companies to double dip and get two fighters in a single Pass.
7. Given the current treatment of Indie characters in Smash I don't expect CP11 to be one.
See this is exactly how we should be predicting in my opinion!

I will admit the subversivon of my expectations with Tekken content does throw me for a loop though. One of your statements, clear as they may seem, might be subverted.

I have no idea who to predict from this; I am leaning towards "Legendary Trainer" because ending on a "big but safe" character makes sense to me.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Here's my predictions.

This is pretty logical. The only twist I could see is that this is the final character for Sakurai to work since starting work on Smash 4, so I could see them go big. However, I feel that is a mental trap which has caught us so many times during speculation.

FJA147

Smash Cadet
This brings up the question will the final character reveal be in a final Saukari presents or the character will be revealed in a Nintendo Direct.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hot take: this stage should've been in the Wii U version as well, instead of that failure known as Pac-Land

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Hot take: this stage should've been in the Wii U version as well, instead of that failure known as Pac-Land
Hot take: they should've kept Pac-Land, but replace the (honestly kind of boring) Smash Tour with Smash Run instead.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I could see the final reveal going one of two ways:

1. Before December, it could just be a standalone Final Sakurai Presents: ???.
2. If we DO have to wait to December, they’ll most likely do one last guessing game depending on the series. Hey don’t look at me like that, the pass started with a guessing game so it’s only fair it ends with one.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Here's my predictions.

So you’re saying Monokuma has a chance

:4pacman:

Cantplaythesolo

Smash Rookie
The only fighter I'm at all interested in that isn't in the game already is a Scorpion/Sub Zero tandem ala Simon/Richter.

Incredibly distant second is Crash.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I can see his reveal trailer now. It'll take place at the same volcano as the Kazuya trailer.

Rock Mario is rolling along the hill, when all of a sudden a first comes out of nowhere and punches him straight through the volcano....

Rockmario - Mario Galaxy 2 Power Ups | Full Size PNG Download | SeekPNG
This is actually a really fun and clever idea lol.
It would work if they went with RE5 Chris.

I think Resident Evil has quite the potential when it comes to trailer reveals, like:

- You can do RE x Luigi's Mansion with Luigi exploring the RE1 mansion, then he is attacked by zombies but he is saved by Jill and/or Chris. The only bad thing is that it would be kinda redundant after Simon's reveal.

- A Leon trailer reveal inspired by the RE4 village, but instead of the usual enemies he finds multiple villagers from Animal Crossing.

- If you want to go with RE3 Jill as a default, the reveal could be about Nemesis chasing down either Mario/Rosalina in the streets of Raccoon City (because of the whole STARS thing), then Jill appears and saves the day.

- If we had Officer Howard from Astral Chain in the game and the reveal took place in RE2's police station, they could be exploring the place only for them to be surrounded by lickers, zombies and Mr. X, then Leon and/or Claire would appear to save them.

Twilord

Smash Ace
If Kazuya just kept throwing Nintendo (and Bandai Namco - we know he did Lloyd offscreen) characters off the cliff, which ones would he find himself very-quickly regretting?

Technomage

Smash Champion
I kinda had a dream liek that (more like a nightmare actually) when it was revealed that Tingle was the DLC character. To add insult to injury, the trailer featured Hyrule Warriors Impa and the four Heroes from BotW fighting for the invitation until Tingle snags the invitation and flies away in a balloon. I still cant believe my dream.
If I had that dream, it wouldn't be a nightmare to me. XD

I can see his reveal trailer now. It'll take place at the same volcano as the Kazuya trailer.

Rock Mario is rolling along the hill, when all of a sudden a first comes out of nowhere and punches him straight through the volcano....

Rockmario - Mario Galaxy 2 Power Ups | Full Size PNG Download | SeekPNG
And Mario would end up knocking Kaz into the volcano with him, too. XD

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
If Kazuya just kept throwing Nintendo (and Bandai Namco - we know he did Lloyd offscreen) characters off the cliff, which ones would he find himself very-quickly regretting?
Dr. Light (Mega Man 8): "Dats a good kwestion."
(God, only 6 out of 16 characters in Mega Man 8 don't sound irritating, and Dr. Light isn't one of those 6.)

For ones Kazuya would regret throwing off the cliff, I think Kirby would come to mind.

SKX31

Smash Master
Y'know, I've been thinking about something.

Would it be better or worse for speculation if the codenames kept being leaked after Hero? On one hand, it would forcibly railroad us into character who would fit the codenames, but on the other, a decent chunk of the codenames are pretty vague, like Master (:ultbyleth:), Edge, (:ultsephiroth:), and Demon (:ultkazuya:). I think it would've especially helped during FP2 (Sans the ARMS guessing game, where we'd probably descend on Min Min even faster and just have nothing to do for a while), since leaks are dead and we've moved on from stuff like new genres and pushing recent releases, so it'd at least give us something to talk about.

I'm not really sure if it'd be good or bad if we had more codenames leaked. What do you think?
I'm not sure on that really because a number of them would also be solved very quickly: pickel is pretty obvious since it is the German word for pickaxe, and because it's a gairaigo / loanword Japanese borrowed from German (ピッケル, pikkeru). Now Japanese does have a native word for it: 鶴嘴 (つるはし, tsuruhashi). But there's not many Japanese words used as codenames - and just like Pickel Tsuruhashi would stick out because it refers to a pretty iconic tool Steve uses.

We already know the answer:

:4pacman:

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
See this is exactly how we should be predicting in my opinion!

I will admit the subversivon of my expectations with Tekken content does throw me for a loop though. One of your statements, clear as they may seem, might be subverted.

I have no idea who to predict from this; I am leaning towards "Legendary Trainer" because ending on a "big but safe" character makes sense to me.
I don't expect any Legends Arceus promotional character unless that game introduces literal brand new species of Pokemon so that it's Spirit Board can feel distinct and not like a Spirit Board for DP in general.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Most of the villains. Especially if they can fly.

I’m sure Ridley and Sephiroth are sooooo afraid of being tossed into a volcano. Theres no way they can possibly get out of that situation!

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Hot take: they should've kept Pac-Land, but replace the (honestly kind of boring) Smash Tour with Smash Run instead.
If Smash Run came back i probably would playing Smash Ultimate every goddamn second. and i already have 800 hours so you can guess how much more it would be.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
I don't expect any Legends Arceus promotional character unless that game introduces literal brand new species of Pokemon so that it's Spirit Board can feel distinct and not like a Spirit Board for DP in general.
Did you know there are currently no Pokémon Trainer spirits besides the actual fighter spirits?

There is currently an entire mobile game dedicated to how much people love Trainers. Adding a new Pokémon Spirit Board seems like a great opportunity to change that. Seems really weird that we don't even have Oak.

Could be Trainers from Legends Arceus or perhaps even go for the broader franchise. Seems like it would be relatively simple to just pick the Fighters who would fit well with those Trainers' teams's themes.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Did you know there are currently no Pokémon Trainer besides the actual fighter spirits?

There is currently an entire mobile game dedicated to how much people love Trainers. Adding a new Pokémon Spirit Board seems like a great opportunity to change that. Seems really weird.

Could be Trainers from Legends Arceus or perhaps even go for the broader franchise. Seems like it would be relatively simple to just pick the Fighters who would fit well with those Trainers' teams's themes.
I still think a Trainer as a playable character himself, using different Pokémon for each move would be a far more interesting Pokémon choice that still keeps the focus on Pokémon. Think of it like Yugi in the Jump Crossover games.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Did you know there are currently no Pokémon Trainer spirits besides the actual fighter spirits?

There is currently an entire mobile game dedicated to how much people love Trainers. Adding a new Pokémon Spirit Board seems like a great opportunity to change that. Seems really weird that we don't even have Oak.

In terms of Pokemon I believe that it's Gen 8 or bust. And even then a Gen 8 Pokemon is highly unlikely anyways.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I could see Nintendo wanting to get in all their most recent games and IPs in Smash in some form...
They did it already to some degree ( :ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultpyra:), they could do it again..

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not going for any more recent characters due to the fact that they could get Spirit Events instead.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I still think a Trainer as a playable character himself, using different Pokémon for each move would be a far more interesting Pokémon choice that still keeps the focus on Pokémon. Think of it like Yugi in the Jump Crossover games.
That would really suit what little we know of the Legends Arceus too! I could picture them as being a bit of a pupeeter like Rosalina & Luma... personally, I would sorta love to see them have a command grab where they literally catch their opponent in a Pokéball.

In terms of Pokemon I believe that it's Gen 8 or bust. And even then a Gen 8 Pokemon is highly unlikely anyways.
I don't know; Pokémon is a very well oiled machine when it comes to cross-promotion; any other series I'd agree with you on - but not Pokémon; that is just such a huge part of why Pokémon is still the world's biggest media franchise, and Legends Arceus has clearly been in the works for quite a while.

I could obviously be wrong, but it just fits very neatly to me.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That would really suit what little we know of the Legends Arceus too! I could picture them as being a bit of a pupeeter like Rosalina & Luma... personally, I would sorta love to see them have a command grab where they literally catch their opponent in a Pokéball.

I don't know; Pokémon is a very well oiled machine when it comes to cross-promotion; any other series I'd agree with you on - but not Pokémon; that is just such a huge part of why Pokémon is still the world's biggest media franchise, and Legends Arceus has clearly been in the works for quite a while.

I could obviously be wrong, but it just fits very neatly to me.
I also believe that they would only do that if they intended for Legends Arceus to be much bigger than we let on as the beginning of the 9th generation of the franchise.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I also believe that they would only do that if they intended for Legends Arceus to be much bigger than we let on as the beginning of the 9th generation of the franchise.
Or perhaps if it is so big and daring a shake-up of the franchise that they decided they needed to also do a retro-style remake on top of it to satisfy people who wanted a traditional visit of the region? That seems to me like it would also warrant that type of push.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I myself expect CP11 to be a third party, possibly one from a brand new company that currently doesn't have a fighter. Either that or another rep for Sega, which is the only represented company that I can currently see getting another fighter.
Or perhaps if it is so big and daring a shake-up of the franchise that they decided they needed to also do a retro-style remake on top of it to satisfy people who wanted a traditional visit of the region? That seems to me like it would also warrant that type of push.
I don't know why they would push Legends Arceus over Sword and Shield due to the fact that that the latter is the newest gen and has a lot of Pokemon that would make for cool and interesting Smash characters.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I don't know why they would push Legends Arceus over Sword and Shield due to the fact that that the latter is the newest gen and has a lot of Pokemon that would make for cool and interesting Smash characters.
Okay I happily address this for you:

- Promoting the new game instead of one that has had its shiney new factor fade. People are more likely to buy into the new thing in general.

- It ends on something very new which helps stop the game becoming dated quickly, BUT it goes even further: The new Trainer represents the current era, but his three Pokémon each represent different ones too; creating a perfectly timeless cross-section of the world's biggest franchise - perfectly well suited to helping the Ultimate Crossover stay timeless.

I myself expect CP11 to be a third party, possibly one from a brand new company that currently doesn't have a fighter. Either that or another rep for Sega, which is the only represented company that I can currently see getting another fighter.
I agree on the other third parties not having good odds, and that SEGA makes sense. That leaves a huge question in my mind as to who; ending on Tails would make me very happy and I am sure people would have a lot of fun referencing that old April Fools for Melee. That said maybe Sakurai will choose something different for their second rep - from Kazuya to Yakuza! I suppose they could even end on Atlus, or maybe even Aiai...

Currently we only have one character from a one-off publisher so I kinda doubt we will end on a one off, but you never know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom