• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Diablo would be based, but he's too western-centric and mature to happen I suspect
I imagine if they went with a Blizzard rep, it would be either an Overwatch or Warcraft character. Warcraft is HUGE in Asia (but not Japan interestingly, moreso China and Korea). Starcraft could be an outside contender. Kerrigan/Queen of Blades seems like the most likely Starcraft character to pick. They have pro leagues for Starcraft in South Korea and I think Japan.

Aboyd

Smash Cadet
Found this. Take it as a grain of salt.

I tried to find the post but it was deleted. So it could be archived
I just searched on a 4chan archive site using the ID number. That post never existed. Not even the number.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
And because I feel like doubledunking on an obviously fake leak that really shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone, check this out.

The post number is 631924986. The higher the number, the newer the post.
There hasn't even been 600000000 posts by the time of this writing.
There's only two reasons for this. The post is either written by a slowpoke somewhere in the future, or it's a photoshop made by someone not even competent at it.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I imagine if they went with a Blizzard rep, it would be either an Overwatch or Warcraft character. Warcraft is HUGE in Asia (but not Japan interestingly, moreso China and Korea). Starcraft could be an outside contender. Kerrigan/Queen of Blades seems like the most likely Starcraft character to pick. They have pro leagues for Starcraft in South Korea and I think Japan.
I don't dismiss their merits, but given that Diablo is on Switch and they even gave it a bundle + amiibo, it seems evident that he could be a frontrunner alongside Tracer (as much as I don't care for Overwatch) in order to promote the game. Those two other franchises are more PC-centric I imagine.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Typically when supposed 4chan leaks or whatever are only shared via images rather than links or archives, they never existed in the first place

Also, this community is usually very on top of these sort of things and we probably would've caught a leak like this very early via searching past "leaks" containing certain confirmed characters and what not

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't dismiss their merits, but given that Diablo is on Switch and they even gave it a bundle + amiibo, it seems evident that he could be a frontrunner alongside Tracer (as much as I don't care for Overwatch) in order to promote the game. Those two other franchises are more PC-centric I imagine.
True... however, I think Tracer would be first. Don't get me wrong, Diablo is perhaps my favorite Blizzard Franchise and I consider Diablo II to be in the top 10 all-time greatest games every made. However, I just don't see Diablo being a contender versus other Blizzard IP.

Interesting note about Diablo, the lead creator named Villain after a mountain near the neighborhood he grew up called Mount Diablo and was ignorant of its Spanish Translation meaning "Devil" until halfway into development.

The following video is a great if you want a background about the original Diablo from the creator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huPF3Gid7DE

I love watching some of these videos.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I don't have a definitive most wanted

But Tracer's up there for me.
I can't play her well enough in OW lol, but I've played enough of her to know she could be incredibly unique. Blink, Recall (could be a broken af recovery option if, say, you miss an attempted spike), Pulse Bombs, etc.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Typically when supposed 4chan leaks or whatever are only shared via images rather than links or archives, they never existed in the first place

Also, this community is usually very on top of these sort of things and we probably would've caught a leak like this very early via searching past "leaks" containing certain confirmed characters and what not
Getting Min Min right, with Sakurai's reasoning and consideration for Ninjara? Could be a "monkeys and typewriters" deal.

Min Min and Steve with all of the alts? Harder, but not impossible.

Min Min, Steve AND Sephiroth? If the community hadn't found the post by then, it's more likely it never existed.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't have a definitive most wanted

I can't play her well enough in OW lol, but I've played enough of her to know she could be incredibly unique. Blink, Recall (could be a broken af recovery option if, say, you miss an attempted spike), Pulse Bombs, etc.
That does sound interesting.

I have never actually played Overwatch? I am not a HUGE FPS person unless it is story driven (I don't play a lot of online play). Do you recommend it?

How big is Overwatch in the scheme of things? Is it as big as Diablo, Starcraft, or Warcraft globally?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
True... however, I think Tracer would be first. Don't get me wrong, Diablo is perhaps my favorite Blizzard Franchise and I consider Diablo II to be in the top 10 all-time greatest games every made. However, I just don't see Diablo being a contender versus other Blizzard IP.

Interesting note about Diablo, the lead creator named Villain after a mountain near the neighborhood he grew up called Mount Diablo and was ignorant of its Spanish Translation meaning "Devil" until halfway into development.

The following video is a great if you want a background about the original Diablo from the creator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huPF3Gid7DE

I love watching some of these videos.
I don’t necessarily think Tracer is the front runner of Blizzard anymore. It would have made a lot of sense if the character happened earlier on when Overwatch was still new on the Switch but I think enough time has passed that Blizzard might opt for one of their characters with a longer legacy. It’s pretty much the same argument why people thought Lloyd was more likely than Velvet despite her game being the most recent.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don’t necessarily think Tracer is the front runner of Blizzard anymore. It would have made a lot of sense if the character happened earlier on when Overwatch was still new on the Switch but I think enough time has passed that Blizzard might opt for one of their characters with a longer legacy. It’s pretty much the same argument why people thought Lloyd was more likely than Velvet despite her game being the most recent.
Kind of a dumb reasoning on my part but I do think Tracer would be easier to implement from a moveset potential vs. Diablo. I could be wrong as stated. Diablo, mechanically, would seem very hard to include in Smash especially considering how much Sakurai respects and tries to be faithful to the source material.

Diablo would fit well as a boss fight though (like Rathalos). That would be cool. Which Diablo would you use? The Prime Evil Diablo? The Diablo from the first game or the one from the second game? They are all different.

Faso115

Smash Lord

I have never actually played Overwatch? I am not a HUGE FPS person unless it is story driven (I don't play a lot of online play). Do you recommend it?

How big is Overwatch in the scheme of things? Is it as big as Diablo, Starcraft, or Warcraft globally?
It has an online community that could rival Smash's in terms of toxicity /s

Jk but it has a pretty sizeable online presence in the esports scene even if i dont follow it. Probably kickstarted a new interest in the Hero Shooter genre after years of being TF2's whole schtick.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Kind of a dumb reasoning on my part but I do think Tracer would be easier to implement from a moveset potential vs. Diablo. I could be wrong as stated. Diablo, mechanically, would seem very hard to include in Smash especially considering how much Sakurai respects and tries to be faithful to the source material.

Diablo would fit well as a boss fight though (like Rathalos). That would be cool. Which Diablo would you use? The Prime Evil Diablo? The Diablo from the first game or the one from the second game? They are all different.
Both designs are great but I personally prefer the Diablo 3 design. I feel it is more unique looking where the original has a lot in common with Bowser. I also think Kerrigan and Arthas have a shot as well. I would say Illidan as well but he has too much in common with Kazuya to include both.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
It has an online community that could rival Smash's in terms of toxicity /s

Jk but it has a pretty sizeable online presence in the esports scene even if i dont follow it. Probably kickstarted a new interest in the Hero Shooter genre after years of being TF2's whole schtick.
Does it have a good Single Player Campaign? For example, I love Halo series but they got great Single Player stories as well. I also didn't mind Star Wars Battlefront II from EA (the new one) because the Campaign was actually good. I think the original Battlefronts are better but I don't think it deserved the hate. Battlefront I (the new one) was trash though. Kind of confusing have two different Battlefronts I & II.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Does it have a good Single Player Campaign? For example, I love Halo series but they got great Single Player stories as well. I also didn't mind Star Wars Battlefront II from EA (the new one) because the Campaign was actually good. I think the original Battlefronts are better but I don't think it deserved the hate. Battlefront I (the new one) was trash though. Kind of confusing have two different Battlefronts I & II.
Unless they patched it in recently there is no campaign. It's a game that feels it was made solely to be an esport (in my opinion)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m pretty sure there is no single player campaign at all. That was the one thing that kept me from trying it.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Both designs are great but I personally prefer the Diablo 3 design. I feel it is more unique looking where the original has a lot in common with Bowser. I also think Kerrigan and Arthas have a shot as well. I would say Illidan as well but he has too much in common with Kazuya to include both.
Regarding Arthas, I think a human character might be passed over for an Orc. I think an Orc would be something unique to Smash. An awesome pick would be Gul'dan. Thrall could be another good pick.

Even if they went with a human character, Sakurai might go with Lothar due to him being in the early games and his lead role in the movie.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Long time, no post! Crazy to think we've got one character left.

Kazuya is tons of fun, even if I can't quite figure out all of his moves. Obviously when I last posted I was the local Dante stan, so I will say I was a little sad to see him disconfirmed as a costume. However, for awhile I kinda figured he wasn't going to be in the game. It was a gut feeling.

That said, it was incredibly validating to see Sakurai describe Dante, Dragonborn, and even Shantae as "popular choices that just couldn't make the cut". Now, I don't necessarily know that Shantae will become playable (I don't really know that any indie will, though I wouldn't really mind it at this point anyway), but I think it's awesome that they acknowledged fan demand in that way.

I don't really have much to say in terms of who I think the final pick is going to be, though I have heard people make a good argument for Octoling. Since Sephiroth I've been significantly less invested in who gets into this game, and with Dante out (as well as my suspicion it isn't Crash) I really don't know that any particular character would bother me.

I'm still of the opinion that post launch spirits/Mii Fighters are probably out for the last pick here, which is why I don't think it's Ring Fit or Astral Chain, or Resident Evil or Pokemon. I don't think it's going to be a crazy upgrade that people were begging for at the beginning of the pass, at best it would be a spirit upgrade. Basically I don't see Waluigi happening.

However, and this is a "pie in the sky" idea, I do have to wonder what they'll decide to do with Smash after Ultimate. If it were me, I would re-release it in a few years as an extended version with a few new modes, and a handful of new characters. The characters I would add, for now, are: Dante, Dragonborn, Waluigi, and then a slew of others. Of course, I would buy anything Smash related, probably.

But yeah. Kazuya is fun, a little sad but not devastated at Dante, but I think it's good that we're almost to the end of things. It's been a wild ride!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Poor poor Hero, gets excluded from the 2010s tournament because of all his other costumes, but gets excluded from the previous decade tournaments as well because of his default.

View attachment 321224

Source
Guess this means WFT and Inkling can’t be in a hypothetical All Girls tourney even if the female appearance is the default then

RIP also to Villager, Robin, Corrin, Byleth, and Pokémon Trainer

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I always thought that the perfect OW rep for Smash would be D.Va.

She's a lot more interesting mechanically. It would give Smash a very unique 2-in-1 character, beginning each round in her MEKA and then after a certain amount of damage or using her Final Smash, she would be ejected from her mech and forced to attack on foot. Going from a slow but tank heavy to a small, quick lightweight could be a lot of fun. Not really a "comeback mechanic", but more a "race against the clock/play carefully" sorta deal.

Plus, yeah Tracer and Soldier 76 are the "box mascots" of OW, but let's be honest, D.Va is far and away the fan favorite.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Regarding Arthas, I think a human character might be passed over for an Orc. I think an Orc would be something unique to Smash. An awesome pick would be Gul'dan. Thrall could be another good pick.

Even if they went with a human character, Sakurai might go with Lothar due to him being in the early games and his lead role in the movie.
My number one most wanted is Illidan but I think an orc would be awesome as well. My favorite orc is Garrosh but I don’t know if he’d get in before Thrall.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Long time, no post! Crazy to think we've got one character left.

Kazuya is tons of fun, even if I can't quite figure out all of his moves. Obviously when I last posted I was the local Dante stan, so I will say I was a little sad to see him disconfirmed as a costume. However, for awhile I kinda figured he wasn't going to be in the game. It was a gut feeling.

That said, it was incredibly validating to see Sakurai describe Dante, Dragonborn, and even Shantae as "popular choices that just couldn't make the cut". Now, I don't necessarily know that Shantae will become playable (I don't really know that any indie will, though I wouldn't really mind it at this point anyway), but I think it's awesome that they acknowledged fan demand in that way.

I don't really have much to say in terms of who I think the final pick is going to be, though I have heard people make a good argument for Octoling. Since Sephiroth I've been significantly less invested in who gets into this game, and with Dante out (as well as my suspicion it isn't Crash) I really don't know that any particular character would bother me.

I'm still fo the opinion that post launch spirits/Mii Fighters are probably out for the last pick here, which is why I don't think it's Ring Fit or Astral Chain, or Resident Evil or Pokemon. I don't think it's going to be a crazy upgrade that people were begging for at the beginning of the pass, at best it would be a spirit upgrade. Basically I don't see Waluigi happening.

However, and this is a "pie in the sky" idea, I do have to wonder what they'll decide to do with Smash after Ultimate. If it were me, I would re-release it in a few years as an extended version with a few new modes, and a handful of new characters. The characters I would add, for now, are: Dante, Dragonborn, Waluigi, and then a slew of others. Of course, I would buy anything Smash related, probably.

But yeah. Kazuya is fun, a little sad but not devastated at Dante, but I think it's good that we're almost to the end of things. It's been a wild ride!

bottom text

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think it is crazy that Blizzard characters are even in discussion (even if their chances are very, very slim). Blizzard was almost another dimension of gaming versus Nintendo when I was growing up.

It seemed like Console vs. PC game back then was about as different as Basketball was to Tennis. They had different fans, styles of play, etc.

The Blizzard RTS games seem to still be a hard fit on consoles but Diablo 3 plays amazingly on a console. I know prefer Diablo on console vs. PC. I wish they could port D1 and D2 to Switch :).

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Well if you're good at FPS games and like cartoony enough art styles, I recommend the game in terms of that...
I don't know how it is now, but the last major time I've touched the game, there ahve been trolls and toxic payers invading COMPATITIVE matches.
Quick Matches are usually fine, so there's that

Lore is kinda neat
Each character has a lot of personality, and I commend Blizzard for that

One unfortunate note though:
According to this Famitsu column, Sakurai's been playing way more Apex than Overwatch, guess he isn't a huge fan of the game : /

Anyways, Volbound, you asked how big it is..
whoo boy, where do I start

It's big for sure!
  • 2016 GOTY, as voted on within Geoff Keighley's TGA.
  • As of April 2021, the game has over 60 million players.
  • Tracer can be considered one of the most iconic game characters of the 2010s era; she even featured in a 2018 movie called Ready Player One (Box Office: $175M)
  • The game's Overwatch League helped it to become one of THE BIGGEST goddamn ESports games ever. Heck, to the point where you could watch - Overwatch League matches on TV channels like Disney XD and ESPN
  • Game inspired some of gaming's biggest memes in the past decades, e.g. "I NEED HEALING" or that Living Tombstone song "No Mercy"
  • Game has a super recognizable theme song, not many games have that honor imo
  • It's Blizzard first new IP in a WHILE and one could argue that the franchise brought Blizzard back to glory

I could find more points, but these are the main ones imo

Now let's compare it to the other Blizzard franchises.
The entire Diablo franchise sold nearly 25M units according to WikiPedia. (Yep... OW outside the entire series, THOUGH for a while Diablo 2 was one of the best selling PC games ever!)

Even though it also has less players than OW dows, WoW is bigger than it:
"World of Warcraft was a major critical and commercial success upon its original release in 2004 and quickly became the most popular MMORPG of all-time, reaching a peak of 12 million subscribers in 2010. The game had over one hundred million registered accounts by 2014 and by 2017, had grossed over $9.23 billion in revenue, making it one of the highest-grossing video game franchises of all time. The game has been cited by gaming journalists as the greatest MMORPG of all-time and one of the greatest video games of all time and has also been noted for its long lifespan, continuing to receive developer support and expansion packs over 15 years since its initial release. In 2019, a vanilla version of the game titled World of Warcraft Classic was launched, allowing players to experience the base game before any of its expansions launched" - WikiPedia
Mind you that Warcraft also got a movie of its own

And finally, Starcraft...
Ok Starcraft triumphs for a bunch of reasons, but I'll only list THIS one which should be enough proof to you lol:
"By the end of 2017, the franchise's lifetime revenue totaled over $1 billion.[5] In addition, the series was awarded a star on the Walk of Game in 2006,[6] and holds four Guinness World Records in the Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition of 2008." - WikiPedia
So Tracer DOES have some competition regarding a playable Blizzard rep in Smash, but she'd still be a big deal regardless!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think it is crazy that Blizzard characters are even in discussion (even if their chances are very, very slim). Blizzard was almost another dimension of gaming versus Nintendo when I was growing up.

It seemed like Console vs. PC game back then was about as different as Basketball was to Tennis. They had different fans, styles of play, etc.

The Blizzard RTS games seem to still be a hard fit on consoles but Diablo 3 plays amazingly on a console. I know prefer Diablo on console vs. PC. I wish they could port D1 and D2 to Switch :).
To be fair, Blizzard did port StarCraft to the N64 so it can be done. I’d love to see Hearhstone on the Switch.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well if you're good at FPS games and like cartoony enough art styles, I recommend the game in terms of that...
I don't know how it is now, but the last major time I've touched the game, there ahve been trolls and toxic payers invading COMPATITIVE matches.
Quick Matches are usually fine, so there's that

Lore is kinda neat
Each character has a lot of personality, and I commend Blizzard for that

One unfortunate note though:
According to this Famitsu column, Sakurai's been playing way more Apex than Overwatch, guess he isn't a huge fan of the game : /

Anyways, Volbound, you asked how big it is..
whoo boy, where do I start

It's big for sure!
  • 2016 GOTY, as voted on within Geoff Keighley's TGA.
  • As of April 2021, the game has over 60 million players.
  • Tracer can be considered one of the most iconic game characters of the 2010s era; she even featured in a 2018 movie called Ready Player One (Box Office: $175M)
  • The game's Overwatch League helped it to become one of THE BIGGEST goddamn ESports games of the decade. Heck, to the point where you could watch - Overwatch League matches on TV channels like Disney XD and ESPN
  • Game inspired some of gaming's biggest memes in the past decades, e.g. "I NEED HEALING" or that Living Tombstone song "No Mercy"
  • Game has a super recognizable theme song, not many games have that honor imo
  • It's Blizzard first new IP in a WHILE and one could argue that the franchise brought Blizzard back to glory

I could find more points, but these are the main ones imo

Now let's compare it to the other Blizzard franchises.
The entire Diablo franchise sold nearly 25M units according to WikiPedia. (Yep... OW outside the entire series, THOUGH for a while Diablo 2 was one of the best selling PC games ever!)

Even though it also has less players than OW dows, WoW is bigger than it:
"World of Warcraft was a major critical and commercial success upon its original release in 2004 and quickly became the most popular MMORPG of all-time, reaching a peak of 12 million subscribers in 2010. The game had over one hundred million registered accounts by 2014 and by 2017, had grossed over $9.23 billion in revenue, making it one of the highest-grossing video game franchises of all time. The game has been cited by gaming journalists as the greatest MMORPG of all-time and one of the greatest video games of all time and has also been noted for its long lifespan, continuing to receive developer support and expansion packs over 15 years since its initial release. In 2019, a vanilla version of the game titled World of Warcraft Classic was launched, allowing players to experience the base game before any of its expansions launched" - WikiPedia
Mind you that Warcraft also got a movie of its own

And finally, Starcraft...
Ok Starcraft triumphs for a bunch of reasons, but I'll only list THIS one which should be enough proof to you lol:
"By the end of 2017, the franchise's lifetime revenue totaled over $1 billion.[5] In addition, the series was awarded a star on the Walk of Game in 2006,[6] and holds four Guinness World Records in the Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition of 2008." - WikiPedia
So Tracer DOES have some competition regarding a playable Blizzard rep in Smash, but she'd still be a big deal regardless!
Great analysis.

WOW is interesting because it makes $$$ off subscribers/players and not sales like normal games. If you look at the numbers, WOW was one of the most played games of all-time.

Diablo 2 also had a dedicated fan base. I kept coming back to Battle.net even decades after the game release and still see a healthy community and even ladder updates to the game regularly. I am not sure if it is alive today but it definitely was one of the longest running online communities out there.

Sounds like Overwatch though is a worthy contender. I stand by my statement that I think an Overwatch character would get in over other Blizzard IP because the other IP would be more difficult to faithfully implement in a Smash setting and are primarily known in the PC crowd which is a different dimension from the console crowd with the exception of a small number of fans like me :).

As crazy as it sounds, if I had to pick between Console and PC Gaming, I might actually go with PC gaming.

To be fair, Blizzard did port StarCraft to the N64 so it can be done. I’d love to see Hearhstone on the Switch.
Companies have definitely tried. Halo Wars is on Consoles. I think Command and Conquer took a stab at console gaming awhile back (I could be wrong here). Still, the controls mechanics fit a mouse and keyboard better than a controller and I think that is why RTS seemed to be mostly regulated to PCs.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
There's no Tracer Support Thread
sad
I made Sarah Kerrigan, Illidan Stormrage, and General Blizzard support threads as well if anyone is interested. I even came up with a pretty cool moveset for Kerrigan utilizing RTS mechanics. None of them really got any attention so that’s kind of sad.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Crazy story, my High School had only a few games on the computers in their computer lab but one of them was Warcraft 1. Oregon Trail and Warcraft were the two most played games in the Computer Lab by far.

I remember getting Warcraft II when I was in 5th grade and played it like crazy. I would make maps in the Scenario Editor and usually tried to do teams by having Rescue Active players (that was the only way to have AI allies and they still fought other Rescue Active players lol so I had to separate them). You could set them to Land, Air, or Sea attack. It was great watching the big wars on Warcraft 2.

Sadly, I never made the jump to WoW though and I was meh about Warcraft III. Got it later in life. Liked the game except for the mechanic that punished you if you had too many men/units. I did like the Hero system they implemented.

Starcraft, though, many was it great on Battlenet. People made all kinds of crazy scenarios too.

Paraster

Smash Lord
If I had to pick a Blizzard character, I'd go for Thrall. I used to play WoW a lot and pretty much exclusively used an Enhancement Shaman (melee user with elemental attacks), and Thrall fits that (his weapon was even used as the Enh Shaman's "artifact weapon").

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom