• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Nono. Mega Man.EXE is from an alternate universe from Mega Man, Mega Man X, Mega Man Zero, and Mega Man ZX, so Mega Man is still a robot in the main timeline.

But Mega Man X does turn into a Digimon in the Mega Man Zero series so there's that.

The X after their name clearly means they are an X-Antibody variant.

I mean...

Genocided By The Mass Deletion Program Of Lord Yggdrasil
Protected By X-Antibody Mutation; Snuck Onto The New World Server

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
So, uh...
Why is Kazuya's character select portrait so damn tiny? It looks a bit jarring, ahaha. It's not a big deal, but like... did nobody say something about it when testing? Like "hey, this looks kind of weird?"
yeah I've been wondering this too, looks like they suffered some time constraints

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Honestly since Akira is already an AT, Ryo Hazuki has a chance of happening assuming Sakurai wants to fully complete the influential fighting game Quadfecta.
Shenmue was originally a VF RPG with Akira as a MC on Saturn that changed to Shenmue on DC.

Ryo learns several VF characters signature moves in his games and Shenmue even uses VF3 engine. Plus you can rep Yu Suzuki's and SEGA's whole iconic arcade line with remixes and such. Also they could refrence that fact that Ryo was almost going to do shoryukens and hadoukens in Shenmue's datamine files.

Only issue is that sakurai made it clear he chose Kazuya cause the devil gene made him more interesting than Heiachi. VF and Shenmue are very much grounded more in reality so that may be the biggest issue.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
yeah I've been wondering this too, looks like they suffered some time constraints
Must've been some damn tight constraints, though... I can resize a render with some nice sharp bicubic filtering, and put it in a 512x512px box, do it eight times, and be done in like ten minutes.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, uh...
Why is Kazuya's character select portrait so damn tiny? It looks a bit jarring, ahaha. It's not a big deal, but like... did nobody say something about it when testing? Like "hey, this looks kind of weird?"
They’ll probably patch it

…or not

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
They’ll probably patch it

…or not
It's not even really a bug. No issues with programming here. They just didn't... do a good job fitting him for the 512px CSPs. I might fix it myself if they don't, release it as a mod.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So, uh...
I believe it's to make it easier to see his shirtless alt's since most of the notable differences are on his pants.

But then again, the only way to tell the difference for Sephiroth's shirtless alts is literally on the handle of his sword, and he's not zoomed out, so....

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I believe it's to make it easier to see his shirtless alt's since most of the notable differences are on his pants.

But then again, the only way to tell the difference for Sephiroth's shirtless alts is literally on the handle of his sword, and he's not zoomed out, so....
Y'know, that does make sense... but at that point it'd be better to take the stock icon route and have there be a small filled square with a black outline in the corner, showing you the color of his pants.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Every time a character 'makes sense' they never end up happening.

I see no reason to even humor an SMT character at this point.
Well the reason for that being that we always end up getting someone who makes even more sense as well as maybe breaking a few conventions we think make sense.

I would argue it's incredibly suspicious we haven't seen any SMT content yet when it would've made a ton of sense to already have it by now. However, it also makes sense they're waiting for SMTV to actually come out on Switch to release spirits. It was weird it took a whole year for the 2010s tourney just came out now when all the other decade tourneys came out in around 6 months of each other. It's also weird that the 2010s event didn't happen some short time after Pyra or how the 90s event didn't wait for Sephiroth or Kazuya. It just doesn't make much sense unless these specific elements aren't planned out concurrently with the DLC fighters, which at this point they probably aren't most of the time. You could probably speculate on this stuff for or against characters but at this point, it truly becomes a 50/50 shot in the dark to discount characters.

Basically, what I'm saying is that our speculation is getting flimsier as reasonable assumptions get thrown out and we are constantly getting left in the dark with fewer and fewer bread crumbs. All I can say based on the DLC is that every character chosen made the most sense objectively to get into Smash, like the people in charge of the Fighter Pass thought long and hard about who should get in. It's not like I look at any character chosen with objectivity and feel someone else should've gotten in instead, y'know?

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Off-topic but who is everyone's favorite new character to Ultimate.

I think that I would have to go with Simon Belmont (Richter Belmont) as my favorite addition. Although their move set isn't the best from a competitive standpoint, they are just fun characters to play. I had never played Castlevania franchises with may a couple of exceptions playing the first level or two of Castlevania 1 for NES but I recently went back and bought the collection on switch for $ 4.99 and it made me appreciate the series playing through it the last couple of months. I definitely love these characters.

#2 for me is probably Banjo-Kazooie. I love the ridiculous fun move set that they have and the two N64 titles were fun.
I have a hard time deciding which one so I'll put my Top 4 and describe them:

:ultsimon:: I love the fact that he's in. I was already familiar with the franchise but when he got in, it was around the time I started watching the Netflix show. It was a perfect storm, Simon is in my Top 10 characters to use in the game and he's become my favorite newcomer in the base game, alongside...

:ultchrom:: Awakening is one of my all time favorite games and Chrom still remains my favorite Fire Emblem character. I was also there when Chrom was a major subject of meme-ing and mockery in Smash 4 when Lucina made it in over him. So seeing him in Ultimate made me lose my mind. Remains one of my Top 5 characters to use in this game.

:ult_terry:: A character I didn't expect to love as much as I do. This guy is one of the most fun characters and in terms of the best DLC additions and what they bring to the table, Terry is Top 2.

:ultsephiroth:: Strangely, this one is kind of personal. Final Fantasy VII Remake is a game that came out at a very, very difficult time for me emotionally. It's a very personal game for me and I loved every single moment of it. Sephiroth is a character that ever since I finished the game I thought would be an awesome addition. Came The Game Awards and lo and behold. Sephiroth, like Terry, is Top 2 in terms of what they bring to the table. They also share the best two trailers from any of the DLC passes.

Honorable mentions go to: Ridley, Joker, Dark Samus and Banjo.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
So, uh...
I think it might have been an attempt to make the pants visible, so people can see the costume color differences; too bad it didn't work too well, since you can't really see the differences very well, except for the one with different-colored gloves.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
While Namco got a character, they have no new Mii Fighter costumes. The only Mii Fighter costumes Namco Bandai has are ones directly ported from Smash 4, but I don't think that they would double dip on Namco Bandai reps just for some new Mii Fighter costumes.
I'd say it makes since. But if another Namco character happens, it is likely going to be someone other than Yuri. Maybe?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
While my mind is on Blizzard I want to say that I never really understood why most people in the Smash community are so laser focused on Crash Bandicoot and completely ignore Blizzard’s characters who are at least as iconic as he is. I have nothing against Crash, but I’ve always been a much bigger fan of the Blizzard half of Activision-Blizzard personally.

I get that most Smash fans are Nintendo fans that don’t play many PC games but I would think the same would go for characters exclusive to other consoles like Master Chief. I wouldn’t think there would be a whole lot of overlap there either but Chief is a pretty commonly speculated character. I’ve primarily been a Nintendo fan my whole life and never owned an X-Box so I don’t have much a connection with Chief. However, I’ve always owned a PC so I was able to play quite a bit of WarCraft and StarCraft. You would think that more Nintendo fans own a PC than an X-Box so that argument never made a whole lot of sense to me.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Vanilla roster wise seeing Ridley and K.Fool’s reveal videos genuinely made me say “whoa they really did it” cause I have such memories of supporting them back in the Brawl and Smash 4 forum days. And I was completely shocked at Incineroar’s reveal, I had chosen the macho tiger randy savage spoof in my initial Sun run and loved him so I was ecstatic to slam fools to the mat. I still play as these 3 when I’m playing against friends. Still fun.

DLC wise - Min Min and Banjo-Kazooie. Min Min was/is my Arms main andI’m significantly better with her in smash than I am in Arms (I’m just terrible and cannot get better haha) and Banjo was like welcoming a long lost friend home.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
While my mind is on Blizzard I want to say that I never really understood why most people in the Smash community are so laser focused on Crash Bandicoot and completely ignore Blizzard’s characters, who are at least as iconic as he is. I have nothing against Crash, but I’ve always been a much bigger fan of the Blizzard half of Activision-Blizzard personally.

I get that most Smash fans are Nintendo fans that don’t play many PC games but I would think the same would go for characters exclusive to other consoles like Master Chief. I wouldn’t think there would be a whole lot of overlap there either but Chief is a pretty commonly speculated character. I’ve primarily been a Nintendo fan my whole life and never owned an X-Box so I don’t have much a connection with Chief. However, I’ve always owned a PC so I was able to play quite a bit of WarCraft and StarCraft. You would think that more Nintendo fans own a PC than an X-Box so that argument never made a whole lot of sense to me.
I don't have much of any attachment to either side but Crash has the platformer-rivalry bias which makes him not only feel likely but also gets people to talk about him. It's his association with Mario, the biggest name in gaming, that really boosts him in speculation. The same reason we got Sonic in Brawl mainly and to a lesser extent Mega Man. Also Smash is a platform fighting game so people's minds will jump to platformer characters which always are classified as the ones who ""fit right in.""

If it was mainly about popularity and all that all the time we would be talking about the Call of Duty protagonists, (which would honestly be fine if it worked like Hero.) I do wonder if the Crash Bandicoot or Call of Duty series is more critically acclaimed. They both did have their fair share of duds too. Critical acclaim, gaming impact, and on top of popularity is why I feel in my heart and mind that GTA or any main Rockstar Games rep should get in instead anyway. We could also just not get either company.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I do wonder if the Crash Bandicoot or Call of Duty series is more critically acclaimed. They both did have their fair share of duds too.
Hmmmm, I think one way to help us figure out which is more popular is to take into consideration the fact that CoD is being milked to the point of yearly releases, yet it's still making a profit.

Last edited:

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I get that most Smash fans are Nintendo fans that don’t play many PC games
You kinda answered your own question.

Naturally, things might vary from one region to another, but for example, over here in Brazil I almost never saw someone getting more than one game console in the same gen, for example - it's expensive as ****. People will stick to what they know.

Nintendo fans don't talk too much about Warcraft or Starcraft not necessarily because they don't know it/think it's not popular, but because they aren't familiar with it. Same for stuff like GTA, CoD, several Sony and mobile reps, League of Legends, and others. There's not always a lot of overlap with these communities.

Crash, meanwhile, has an association with characters like Mario and Sonic as a "rival" and had games on Nintendo platforms - recently, even - on top of history and legacy that bot it and other Activision-Blizzard IPs have. So that gets the ball rolling easier.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Honestly since Akira is already an AT, Ryo Hazuki has a chance of happening assuming Sakurai wants to fully complete the influential fighting game Quadfecta.
Shenmue was originally a VF RPG with Akira as a MC on Saturn that changed to Shenmue on DC.

Ryo learns several VF characters signature moves in his games and Shenmue even uses VF3 engine. Plus you can rep Yu Suzuki's and SEGA's whole iconic arcade line with remixes and such. Also they could refrence that fact that Ryo was almost going to do shoryukens and hadoukens in Shenmue's datamine files.

Only issue is that sakurai made it clear he chose Kazuya cause the devil gene made him more interesting than Heiachi. VF and Shenmue are very much grounded more in reality so that may be the biggest issue.
I do think Ryo is plausible and would make for a great pick, but if he gets in, I don't think it'll be on behalf of VF

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Despite there already being a Mii Costume for it, I still think Monster Hunter has a chance.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You kinda answered your own question.

Naturally, things might vary from one region to another, but for example, over here in Brazil I almost never saw someone getting more than one game console in the same gen, for example - it's expensive as ****. People will stick to what they know.

Nintendo fans don't talk too much about Warcraft or Starcraft not necessarily because they don't know it/think it's not popular, but because they aren't familiar with it. Same for stuff like GTA, CoD, several Sony and mobile reps, League of Legends, and others. There's not always a lot of overlap with these communities.

Crash, meanwhile, has an association with characters like Mario and Sonic as a "rival" and had games on Nintendo platforms - recently, even - on top of history and legacy that bot it and other Activision-Blizzard IPs have. So that gets the ball rolling easier.
That’s true but you would think that logic would also extend to characters like Master Chief. Halo has never been on a Nintendo console (where StarCraft, Diablo, and Overwatch have). I wouldn’t think fans of FPS games like Halo would have a whole lot of overlap with Smash fans either. Still, Master Chief has been a very popular topic of speculation in Ultimate.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
You mean the series or the character? If series, then I agree. If character, then I don't.
If the Hunter as a character don't have a chance I don't see how the series have one. Felyne also got a mii, so unless they find a way to put Rathalos (or any other monster but I think Rathalos is the most popular in general) I don't really see how it can still be in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I meant the Hunter as a character yeah. The Mii costume is based on the Rathalos armor, maybe they'd pick a look based more on the ninja outfit of Monster Hunter Rise? Nintendo did pay an awful lot of money for this game to be exclusive to them for the longest of time. Maybe this was part of some secret deal between them? And would also explain why this final character wasn't originally planned, but is considered an "extra"?

I don't claim to be right here, am just throwing out a possibility. Cause I could see it happening, under these exact circumstances.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I think that I would have to go with Simon Belmont (Richter Belmont) as my favorite addition. Although their move set isn't the best from a competitive standpoint, they are just fun characters to play. I had never played Castlevania franchises with may a couple of exceptions playing the first level or two of Castlevania 1 for NES but I recently went back and bought the collection on switch for $ 4.99 and it made me appreciate the series playing through it the last couple of months. I definitely love these characters.

#2 for me is probably Banjo-Kazooie. I love the ridiculous fun move set that they have and the two N64 titles were fun.
Ridley by far. He was a character I've wanted to see since Brawl and when he finally shown up in the E3 trailer with Alien-esque themes I couldn't have been more excited. The fact that I enjoy his moveset and the nods to his more obscure traits also helped as it made him feel more at home.

After him would be K. Rool and Richter.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I highly doubt Monster Hunter will get a character after the return of both costumes AND a new one on top of a Rise spirit event AND a special Stories 2 spirit on the way too... like, there are definitely plenty of reasons to believe MH is over and done.

But for what it's worth, "Monster Hunter" is less of a character and more of a concept. So the presence of armor sets doesn't explicitly disconfirm "Monster Hunter" the character as directly as say, Dante's costume does. The armor sets are literally just that, a costume both in MH and in Smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom