• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Crazy story, my High School had only a few games on the computers in their computer lab but one of them was Warcraft 1. Oregon Trail and Warcraft were the two most played games in the Computer Lab by far.

I remember getting Warcraft II when I was in 5th grade and played it like crazy. I would make maps in the Scenario Editor and usually tried to do teams by having Rescue Active players (that was the only way to have AI allies and they still fought other Rescue Active players lol so I had to separate them). You could set them to Land, Air, or Sea attack. It was great watching the big wars on Warcraft 2.

Sadly, I never made the jump to WoW though and I was meh about Warcraft III. Got it later in life. Liked the game except for the mechanic that punished you if you had too many men/units. I did like the Hero system they implemented.

Starcraft, though, many was it great on Battlenet. People made all kinds of crazy scenarios too.
I never played the first two WarCraft games or WoW but I loved WarCraft III and StarCraft back in high school. I used to put tons of hours into fan made hero arenas in WCIII. It was a blast.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ok Thrall would be cool

I'm not demanding it, but ending the pass on a non-human character would be neat

Not mention, a western one
You pretty much can’t go wrong with any Blizzard character. They all have such great designs and personality. The only reasons I don’t want Tracer as the rep are that she’s a human, where Blizzard has so many awesome nonhumans to choose from, and that I’ve never played Overwatch. I’d still be fine with her though.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I never played the first two WarCraft games or WoW but I loved WarCraft III and StarCraft back in high school. I used to put tons of hours into fan made hero arenas in WCIII. It was a blast.
The first two Warcrafts would come off as dated (especially the first one) versus Warcraft III and Starcraft. Still, they are great to play if you want to understand Blizzard's legacy. I think Warcraft 1 was their first big hit title.

I love all of the Aliens (Alien 2) references in Starcraft. It is hilarious.

As for Smash speculation, I think most people see Sarah Kerrigan as most likely for Starcraft. Zeratul might be #2. Jim Raynor is really the main protagonists of the games but Sarah Kerrigan/Queen of Blades seems to be more of the face of the Franchise. She is also very unique as a character. Plus, based on his character, Jim would totally help Sarah out by bowing out to let her take the spot :).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, here is another thing, why would there be two Namco characters, especially if Yuri is the second one when we have Kazuya out, who is from Namco, and Lloyd is a costume again?
While Namco got a character, they have no new Mii Fighter costumes. The only Mii Fighter costumes Namco Bandai has are ones directly ported from Smash 4, but I don't think that they would double dip on Namco Bandai reps just for some new Mii Fighter costumes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hmm... so you're saying Pulsemon, since Bandai Namco have been pushing them pretty hard lately.

Also, that is a very pretty and completely unrelated GIF you have there.

We aren't getting a Digimon at this point but I can still dream.
I read that as Pulseman for a sec
220px-Pulseman_box_art.jpg

Not the Game Freak rep we all expected, that's for sure, I never beat it when I got it on the Wii VC but ****, building up electricity by constantly moving to enhance his attacks. You'd think the source of Pikachu's signature move would be more wellknown

volbound1700

Smash Master
Off-topic but who is everyone's favorite new character to Ultimate.

I think that I would have to go with Simon Belmont (Richter Belmont) as my favorite addition. Although their move set isn't the best from a competitive standpoint, they are just fun characters to play. I had never played Castlevania franchises with may a couple of exceptions playing the first level or two of Castlevania 1 for NES but I recently went back and bought the collection on switch for $ 4.99 and it made me appreciate the series playing through it the last couple of months. I definitely love these characters.

#2 for me is probably Banjo-Kazooie. I love the ridiculous fun move set that they have and the two N64 titles were fun.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I think that I would have to go with Simon Belmont (Richter Belmont) as my favorite addition. Although their move set isn't the best from a competitive standpoint, they are just fun characters to play. I had never played Castlevania franchises with may a couple of exceptions playing the first level or two of Castlevania 1 for NES but I recently went back and bought the collection on switch for $ 4.99 and it made me appreciate the series playing through it the last couple of months. I definitely love these characters.

#2 for me is probably Banjo-Kazooie. I love the ridiculous fun move set that they have and the two N64 titles were fun.
Mine is Sephiroth. I’m a huge fan of Final Fantasies VII-X and Sephiroth is one of my favorite video game characters ever. It was so awesome to finally see him get into Smash. We also got K. Rool, who I voted for on the ballot so that was great too since I love DKC 1 and 2 .

Ivander

Smash Legend
Simon and Richter are my favourites. As a Castlevania fan, I've always wanted a Castlevania character for Smash Bros. and getting not one, but two Belmonts was amazing.
For Favourite DLC character.....so far, it's between Sephiroth and Banjo & Kazooie, although Hero is also a close one due to Eight.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
If I had to pick a Blizzard character, I'd go for Thrall. I used to play WoW a lot and pretty much exclusively used an Enhancement Shaman (melee user with elemental attacks), and Thrall fits that (his weapon was even used as the Enh Shaman's "artifact weapon").
If Nintendo wanted to hit the biggest Blizzard/MMO player base with one singular character, I also think that Thrall would be the best choice. WoW Orcs have such an iconic design that almost anyone who's ever dabbled in PC gaming would recognize them. And that's such a huge fanbase that Smash hasn't even touched yet. It'd be a huge get, maybe even similar to Steve.

I don't even play WoW and even I still think it's the obvious business-savvy choice.

Simon and Richter are my favourites. As a Castlevania fan, I've always wanted a Castlevania character for Smash Bros. and getting not one, but two Belmonts was amazing.
For Favourite DLC character.....it's between Sephiroth and Banjo & Kazooie, although Hero is also a close one due to Eight.
Same! I don't think I've ever geeked out harder at a Smash Direct than when Sakurai just kept pouring on the Castlevania content. It's also still my all-time favorite reveal trailer to date.

And B&K are my favorite DLC anythings in the history of anything.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Off-topic but who is everyone's favorite new character to Ultimate?
Ridley easily. Such a good reveal with a great moveset. All those years of hoping and it actually happened. I don’t think he’ll ever be topped.

#2 Would be Steve. I thought Microsoft was out after Banjo. Cool Gimmick and its so surreal seeing my childhood dream come true.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Guess this means WFT and Inkling can’t be in a hypothetical All Girls tourney even if the female appearance is the default then

RIP also to Villager, Robin, Corrin, Byleth, and Pokémon Trainer
Yeah, the fact that so many female characters are either alt costumes like the genderswaps, Wendy or Alex (as well as Miis) or part of a duo with a male character like Nana and Kazooie probably will decrease the amount of characters in a tourney like that by a significant amount.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Ridley without a doubt.

He was a dream character for me.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
So Minecraft Earth is getting shut down today..
We got a song from Minecraft Earth with the Steve CP.

Looks like now we have a song from a shutdown game... Neat ig
Technically the Minecraft Minigame songs are from a dead version of Minecraft although the songs are routinely used in promotional trailers. Earth is the first officially dead song.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I read that as Pulseman for a sec
View attachment 321231
Not the Game Freak rep we all expected, that's for sure, I never beat it when I got it on the Wii VC but ****, building up electricity by constantly moving to enhance his attacks. You'd think the source of Pikachu's signature move would be more wellknown
Well as of Battle Network Megaman is clearly a Digimon and this is clearly a Mega-Man boss and the rise of Digimon likely helped encourage Pikachu's V-Pet mechanics in his signature game (Yellow) soo...

Gordon Freeman confirmed for Smash.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I see a lot of Ridley picks here. He definitely was a great add as well :). Metroid and DKC felt incomplete until Ridley and King K Rool were added.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I see a lot of Ridley picks here. He definitely was a great add as well :). Metroid and DKC felt incomplete until Ridley and King K Rool were added.
Yeah, I think Ridley was my number 3 favorite followed by Joker. There were a lot of cool characters this game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Still K. Rool for me. He and Ridley are both satisfying as characters I had supported for quite some time so they could easily share this spot, but I'm just a sucker for big goofy heavyweights (see: my main) and K. Rool just bleeds love and charisma in every single animation. He's pretty much everything I would have wanted and more, and I have a feeling that he's here to stay (not just in Smash, but DKC too) after returning to such massive fanfare. Definitely gets those bonus points for returning after nearly a decade of continued absence and somehow feeling like he never left.

To this day the fact that Ridley and K. Rool are in Smash is more amazing to me than any of the massive groundbreaking third parties we've gotten as DLC. I guess that says a lot about what era of speculation I was most invested in, lmao.

Also, for good measure, my favorite DLC character is Terry.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman

Sephiroth by miles and even parsecs if you may

He's just so badass, has such a banger theme and is so fun to play. He also has this eerie mystique feel to him, since everytime you see Sephiroth is on screen, you just know sh*** about to get real. Having him here is quite literally a dream come true for me (funnily enough, out of my MWs I thought him to be the least possible, and so far he's the only they actually added lol).

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Banjo & Kazooie without a doubt. Wanted them in ever since the ballot so I'm not really a OG Banjo Kazooie fan, especially when I'm okay with this being the final game they ever appear in. I've played the first two games and enjoyed them and I've always felt they were a missing piece of the puzzle in Nintendo's legendary roster. The only character that will ever top these two will be if Sgt. Cortez is the final character.

Anyway, I might as well post this.

favourite smash characters small.png

Ivysaur would be in my favourites if the stupid Pokemon Trainer would just not switch when I lose a stock!

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

Tie between Simon and King K. Rool. I spent so much time envisioning how I hoped they'd work and they turned out to be nearly exactly what I wanted.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Favorite newcomers with no respective order:
  • Belmonts are amazing, and given that blue's my favorite color, Richter looked CLLLLEAN to me. Also got me to watch Castlevania on Netflix!
  • Incineroar has this prideful, and powerful personality that I adore and I love it. I play heavies so his playstyle fit me quickly too
  • K. Rool has Gangplank Galleon. I also wanted him since the Sm4sh DLC days. Love his personality, and easy to use moveset (fun not to mention)
  • I play and love Minecraft. Steve gang. Dance of the Blocks is one of my favorite remixes in the game.
  • Terry's attire has to be one of my favorite fits for the human characters Smash has. Dude' got some sick catchphrases too, bro
  • Sephiroth is a villain, I love villains. I love his Advent Children theme. Also HIS TRAILER BRO, ON GOD

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Unless they patched it in recently there is no campaign. It's a game that feels it was made solely to be an esport (in my opinion)
I’m pretty sure there is no single player campaign at all. That was the one thing that kept me from trying it.
There isn't, and it's a main reason why OW2's a thing - OW2 is IIRC focused around the single player. That said, yes Blizzard (and Activision*) focused almost overwhelmingly on the e-sports and pure gameplay side... which in hindsight was a major misstep because it meant much less content for casual players. At least, not much beyond the hero releases. LoL and Dota 2 threaded the needle a bit more elegantly because there's consistently new content for more casual players to sink their teeth into (make no mistake, there were stumbles from both Riot and Valve too). And I'm bringing those two games up because those were the e-sports Blizzard were looking at overtaking with Overwatch (and Overwatch League).

Now the additional factors going against the Overwatch League did not help (chaotic first couple seasons, a lot of figurehead players retiring from OW / being banned, other games like Valorant luring away a lot of the playerbase etc.) but still.

Currently the casual playerbase remains in the millions IIRC and OWL still gets to ca. 40-50K viewers regularily, which is respectable, but A-B wanted much more than that long term. Think the initial release peak sustained.

(*Activision would later use the OWL formula for its CoD League. )

Consider me a newly converted :ultkazuya: fan.

Sure he can be janky as hell, but I'm the kind of person who loves when there's mega-damage involved (the reason why :ulthero: was my previous fav) and the ridicolous stuff one can do with the character is off the chart - while he's also volatile himself and one kinda has to keep in mind that just like he can dish out like 50 % off of one hit he can also take 50 % really quickly. His gameplay style of whiff punishing and generally playing up-tempo fits my personal style as well.

He's now my secondary behind :ultcloud: .

Paraster

Smash Lord

Absolutely Incineroar. It was one of my top 3 Pokemon at the time of its announcement (and may be my flat-out #1 nowadays), and while I had a little trouble getting used to playing it, it ended up being insanely fun.

Sephiroth is a runner-up. I'm not the biggest FF fan (though I've been chipping away at IX for a few months), but I recognized him as a big deal and he ended up a lot more fun than I expected.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tbf, Monolith Soft was already spoiling that way before Ultimate's release. Remember Project X Zone 2?
Didn’t Mecha-Fiora appear as a cosplay for Japanese Xenoblade ads too?
Tbh the game itself already spoils this in a way.
Cause Fuo

New ? King K.Rool, was waiting for him to come to Smash since Diddy got in in Brawl. Shame it took so long, but it was worth the wait. Second comes Banjo.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
So our next fighter is from 2020, and Sega is still in the running...

View attachment 321218

If Nagoshi don't want to let Kiryiu in, maybe Kasuga can be in. Also Kasuga canonically think that every fight he's in is in a video game, so he would be a very fun character to work with.
At other times I've mentioned Yakuza here, I've often suggested Majima as well in the event that Nagoshi's preference continues to hold true. A very important recurring antihero, and protagonist for one mainline game. (and his look as a still-sane cabaret manager could serve as an alternate outfit) Who knows, maybe he'd be enough of a Mad Dog to not be as beholden to Nagoshi's wishes as Kiryu may be.

Not that I'd be against Ichiban - just don't have as much of an opinion on him, on account of not having played Like a Dragon yet.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
About Nahobino/SMT V protag, I was mostly joking but I don't think it's that difficult to happen.

I mean, it's unlikely and I still believe Demi-fiend is a more likely option if we get a SMT rep. But I wouldn't count out Nahobino for CP11 even if his game comes out at the end of the year.

Consider that

- Sakurai and Atlus have already worked closely (Joker), and both sides seem to have a nice relationship as it was shown here

- SMT V is, as we know, an important Switch exclusive (announced at the very first Switch presentation btw). So it's not out of the question Nintendo would keep a DLC spot for SMT V. Both Nintendo and Atlus have been pushing the game quite a lot, with the game being the first simultaneous worldwide release in Atlus' history, which probably was thanks to Nintendo

- Joker and the content he brought was only Persona content, not even a Jack Frost costume or spirit, when he's basically Atlus' mascot. So there wouldn't be overlap of content

- Fighter Pass 2 was officially announced in September 2019, though reliable people such as Imran Khan stated the deals were finalized around E3 2019. At that point we already knew about SMT V and it's protagonist.

- This could be a similar situation to Byleth's, where Sakurai played an early build of the game. Maybe not exactly the same here, but he and Atlus could be regularly in touch so Sakurai is aware of the details of SMT V and Nahobino.

- Assuming it happens, other content wouldn't be really a problem. The stage could be the desert looking place we have seen multiple times, probably the first area of the game. Music selection would have songs from previous SMT games and of course, V. And spirits would probably be iconic demons from the whole series, not specific characters from SMT V.

- The hardest part would be the moveset IMO, but not that hard if you ask me. No matter who they choose I'm pretty convinced any SMT protag would have some demon summoning as part of the moveset. If it would be manual summoning, or just demons appearing when the character does certain moves, I don't know. Jack Frost and Pixie would be there for sure and maybe 2-3 more demons.
As for Nahobino himself, I feel that going by his design alone would be enough for Sakurai to be creative. But in this scenario he would probably be in touch with Atlus a lot, so they would give him a lot of info about what Nahobino can do, and his abilities, so I don't think it's impossible.

I feel there's enough margin for SMT V protag to be the final fighter, obviously that's up to Nintendo and if they feel like pushing the game even more. It would be hard to pull off for them? Yeah, but not impossible. If Atlus and Sakurai are in frequent contact and all which would be the case if they did this... It could happen, it's not that crazy if you ask me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'd choose either Kerrigan or Illidan. For moveset potential.

For gameplay? Terry. For character? Simon/Richter.
Those would be my picks as well. I think Kerrigan has the best potential to represent RTS mechanics by summoning Zerg units. Illidan is one of my favorite video game characters ever but I worry that he’s too similar to Kazuya being a purple winged demon with laser eyes.

ZelDan

Smash Master
My favorite characters in Ultimate are :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsephiroth:

And of course these guys are the ones who had their reveals soiled for me. The first two because of Nintendo themselves, and Sephiroth because I just had to go get myself some dinner right before the VGAs started and miss it...

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Illidan is one of my favorite video game characters ever but I worry that he’s too similar to Kazuya being a purple winged demon with laser eyes.
Ah...that is actually a good point. Illidan is basically just Devil Kazuya with Klingon swords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom