• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Um guys...

We got a big problem..

We never got to see what Kazuya figure Sakurai had locked in his drawer...

this is a joke btw, I'm sure Sakurai will show it off either soon or during the final Sakurai presents or something
Well I doubt Sakurai even needs it considering Bandai Namco have the actual model from Tekken 7 they can just look at at their leisure.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well I doubt Sakurai even needs it considering Bandai Namco have the actual model from Tekken 7 they can just look at at their leisure.
But...But how will they know what the undersides of Kazuya's feet look like?

Actually...with all of the model reusage that they've been doing, are the figures all that necessary?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I mean the post was for fun..
But yea, I suppose you're right. Bamco's generosity and their relationship with Nintendo would definitely allow for such leisure.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
We are still missing a 2010s tournament, I think the last character may be someone from the 2010s
That theory both helps some characters I really like but hurts others I also like. At this point after getting so hyped for the Mii Costumes this time around, I kind of wish my MWs got Mii Costumes and spirits this time around. I'm less hopeful that I'll actually get lucky right at the end and I'm more worried that they won't get anything for Smash Ultimate at all. With some characters like Bandana Dee and Waluigi, I'm at least happy they're in Smash. Meanwhile, every other character has absolutely nothing from their series in Smash.

Considering that the 2010's are last decade, I think they just haven't gotten to it yet.
That was my thought process but the problem is that all the other decade tourneys happened way closer to each other. The gap between the 2000s and 2010s tourneys will be way greater than 80s to 90s to 00s by now. If we do get a 2010s tourney before CP10, I guess we can write it off though.

Can't you say the same about Pyra and Mythra's models? I think Sakurai just likes doing physical demonstrations when he can.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That theory both helps some characters I really like but hurts others I also like. At this point after getting so hyped for the Mii Costumes this time around, I kind of wish my MWs got Mii Costumes and spirits this time around. I'm less hopeful that I'll actually get lucky right at the end and I'm more worried that they won't get anything for Smash Ultimate at all. With some characters like Bandana Dee and Waluigi, I'm at least happy they're in Smash. Meanwhile, every other character has absolutely nothing from their series in Smash.

That was my thought process but the problem is that all the other decade tourneys happened way closer to each other. The gap between the 2000s and 2010s tourneys will be way greater than 80s to 90s to 00s by now. If we do get a 2010s tourney before CP10, I guess we can write it off though.

Can't you say the same about Pyra and Mythra's models? I think Sakurai just likes doing physical demonstrations when he can.
Elma has a Spirit and that may be all she gets, at least for this game. Fingers crossed for next

As for 2010’s tourney absence I’m hoping that works out in Octoling’s favor

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There is also a matter of who would even be in it. We've got like:
Yes::ultbyleth::ultcorrin::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ultminmin:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:
Maybe?::ultalph::ultbayonetta::ultisabelle::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultchrom::ultdarkpit:
Depends::ulthero::ultlink:

I suppose that's not too small a number of participants, but it's probably the smallest number.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yes::ultbyleth::ultcorrin::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ultminmin:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:
Maybe?::ultalph::ultbayonetta::ultisabelle::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultchrom::ultdarkpit:

I suppose that's not too small a number of participants, but it's probably the smallest number.
I don’t think they’d count alts. Probably also why there’s no Girls Only tourney and might not be

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
The thing about the 2010's tournament I wonder is how long after CP11 will Smash get "new" content.

I imagine a lot of the more casual fanbase will fall off after the DLC hype train ends.
The casual fans don't pay any attention to tourneys, spirit events, etc. anyway.

I could see a few extra things right before with this tourney tying in. Especially if the last character was a big part of the 2010s.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman

I'm pretty sure you're missing some like Steve. Either way, the SSB wiki showed off the 2000s event and it didn't have many characters either.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling this Mii costume wave was specifically to stop making those characters' supporters hold their breaths. This is indeed the final character, not just for Ultimate but for Smash in general for the forseeable future, so they probably sought to crush a couple dreams early.
Man, I really wish they "crushed" my dreams early. I would love to see some of my MW at least get Mii Costumes.

It is a little suspicious we didn't see Crash here if that is truly the case.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
EDIT: lol the title is a Mega Man reference but the tourney doesn't include Mega Man.
EDIT EDIT: I hope the 2010's title is "The year is 20XX" and doesn't include Mega Man X or Zero.
Just for the lulz, you could also do "It is the present year" and then not include Beck.

...Not that anyone would be in that tourney but...It's still mildly humorous.

Polan

Smash Lord
I have a feeling this Mii costume wave was specifically to stop making those characters' supporters hold their breaths. This is indeed the final character, not just for Ultimate but for Smash in general for the forseeable future, so they probably sought to crush a couple dreams early.
theres crushing dreams and then theres what they did today

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I feel like Shantae and maybe even Dante may be due to 4’s Ballot. Idk about Dragonborn though, I don’t think he got a lot of ballot votes

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I feel like Shantae and maybe even Dante may be due to 4’s Ballot. Idk about Dragonborn though, I don’t think he got a lot of ballot votes
Dragonborn doesn't feel like a character that had a lot of fans backing him for Smash, but keep in mind that Skyrim is huge and would have been a bombshell of a reveal if he was playable. Granted, I imagine that a lot of these characters were at least considered before they were made into Mii costumes.

Speaking of which, some food for thought: King K. Rool, Chrom, Isabelle, and Inkling were all Mii costumes in Smash 4 before being playable in Ultimate. I mean hell you could stretch that logic to include Heihachi's Mii costume in Smash 4 and Kazuya's appearance in Ultimate. So maybe we could take the Mii costumes included in Ultimate as a sign of who may be introduced in the next game, wherever that is. Sakurai did acknowledge that many of these Mii costumes were requested as characters during today's presentation.

"Oh but ackshually, there probably won't be a next Shmash ga-"

There will. They aren't killing this series after Ultimate just because that's where the current peak is.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Dragonborn doesn't feel like a character that had a lot of fans backing him for Smash, but keep in mind that Skyrim is huge and would have been a bombshell of a reveal if he was playable.
Further proves a personal point of mine that I kinda wish could be proven wrong..

Minus Steve and Banjo, it's a shame that big name Western characters are getting Mii'd IN A WAY.
The fact that they at least get costumes is amazing.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Dragonborn doesn't feel like a character that had a lot of fans backing him for Smash, but keep in mind that Skyrim is huge and would have been a bombshell of a reveal if he was playable. Granted, I imagine that a lot of these characters were at least considered before they were made into Mii costumes.

Speaking of which, some food for thought: King K. Rool, Chrom, Isabelle, and Inkling were all Mii costumes in Smash 4 before being playable in Ultimate. I mean hell you could stretch that logic to include Heihachi's Mii costume in Smash 4 and Kazuya's appearance in Ultimate. So maybe we could take the Mii costumes included in Ultimate as a sign of who may be introduced in the next game, wherever that is. Sakurai did acknowledge that many of these Mii costumes were requested as characters during today's presentation.

"Oh but ackshually, there probably won't be a next Shmash ga-"

There will. They aren't killing this series after Ultimate just because that's where the current peak is.
That's exactly what I was thinking. A lot of the Mii will be character to keep an eye on for the next game. I could see Sans being a frontrunner for Smash 6 considering the reception of his mii and how huge Undertale still is.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Honestly, when Sakurai said that smash 4 started development 10 years ago, it reminds me of the beginning of Avengers Endgame trailer when Tony Stark says “i think lts been thousand years before i fought my way out of that cave and become iron man…”.

We are in the truly endgame now.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
That's exactly what I was thinking. A lot of the Mii will be character to keep an eye on for the next game. I could see Sans being a frontrunner for Smash 6 considering the reception of his mii and how huge Undertale still is.
If UNDERTALE remains popular I could see Sans getting in. I think the ship for indies has sailed for Ultimate but with them getting a good amount of secondary content in this game, I don't think a playable indie is out of the question.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Maybe some more characters from games he likes, though anyone got a list of Sakurai's favorite games?
I know he loves his JRPGs, so I'd say Joker stays, maybe Hero and Pythra too.

Fighting games wise, Terry would stay for sure. Not sure on Kazuya.

If we turn to Western games.. I can recall from a Famitsu column that he said that he played and loved Halo 2 and Half-Life 2.. Would this mean that in this hypothetical situation, he'd want to go for Chief and Gordon, respectively? Who knows.
Not sure what other games/series, both Western and Eastern, he expressed a STRONG passion for..

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Which characters do you think Sakurai would pick if he had completely free reign with the DLC?
I always imagined that he would want to revisit the Rhythm heaven fighters from Smash 4.

Also Geno and Mach rider, since Sakurai said in the past that he really like those character design. Maybe Takamaru too, since he considered him for Smash 4 but dismiss him because he's not popular enough outside of Japan.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If we get two new spirits that are tied to specific games tomorrow, similar to Sophie and Arthur, who do you think we're going to get?

I'm not sure if there'd be a spirit tied to the recent wave of Miis (unlike Arthur from last time), unless Sakurai really wants people to buy Tales of Vesperia (since Symphonia isn't on Switch), Shantae: Half Genie Hero, Skyrim, or (going by Dante's costume) Devil May Cry 1 on the Switch. Looking through June's Switch releases, nothing really stands out unless they decide to make Ryu Hayabusa a spirit because of the Ninja Gaiden collection. (which would be a bit of a waste).

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
A 2010s tournament can happen at any time. It means nothing.
Of course. The only weird thing is how the 80s, 90s, and 00s events happened way closer to each other from late 2019 to mid 2020. This event has been "held off" for way longer. We could've seen this closer to February when we got Pyra if that was the last 2010s character but we didn't.

The even itself seems neat enough if you ask me.
thisishowgtawins.jpg

Even if you don't count Hero or my hopes and dreams, you'd only have 2 fewer fighters than the 200X event. the event should probably happen by now.
It still could but it's weird we're still waiting.

Though the problem could be that too many of them are DLC, which is a fair argument.​

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Was the Mii Wave that big a slaughter?

Dovahkiin was never really big in speculation. Most of us counted out Bethesda after the interview, and assumed Doomguy would be our choice if we did get the rep.

Lloyd was competing with Yuri and the other Namcos, and was already losing interest after Bamco got Tekken.

Shantae was big but most people counted her out due to her already getting representation. Though she did get a fair bit of talk.

Dante was a big deconfirm theres no way I can spin that.

All in I don’t think this was the massacre its being seen as. If was still really cool though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom