• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I know he loves his JRPGs, so I'd say Joker stays, maybe Hero and Pythra too.

Fighting games wise, Terry would stay for sure. Not sure on Kazuya.

If we turn to Western games.. I can recall from a Famitsu column that he said that he played and loved Halo 2 and Half-Life 2.. Would this mean that in this hypothetical situation, he'd want to go for Chief and Gordon, respectively? Who knows.
Not sure what other games/series, both Western and Eastern, he expressed a STRONG passion for..
Maybe he'd also add a few more JRPG guys? Maybe another Fatal Fury character (such as a censored, but still faithful Mai Shiranui)?

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Which characters do you think Sakurai would pick if he had completely free reign with the DLC?
The only game I can really think of where he would get a character from if he had free reign is that one Vanillaware game that apparently he really liked. Other than that, I don't really know.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Now that we're down to a single upcoming character, I want to give my two cents on what I expect/want from the last character:

These characters obviously are not happening, since they appeared as either a DLC Mii Costume or Spirit (Assist Trophies are excluded here, as I feel they are solid deconfirmations as well)
  • Rex
  • Protagonists of Persona 3 and 4
  • Tails and Knuckles
  • Goemon
  • Mega Man X or Zero
  • Sans
  • Jacky (Virtua Fighter)
  • Altair
  • Rabbids
  • Cuphead
  • Heihachi
  • Vault Boy
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Geno
  • Monster Hunter Rep
  • Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins)
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Dragonborn
  • Dante
  • Shantae
  • Labo Rep
  • Daemon X Machina Rep
  • Resident Evil Rep
  • Astral Chain Rep
  • Kunio
  • Ring Fit Trainee
  • Trials of Mana Rep
  • Octopath Rep
  • Bravely Default 2 Rep

These characters aren't explicitly deconfirmed, but there's reason to believe they won't be the last character:
  • Any Series that already got a Fighter's Pass Character
    • This one's pretty self-explanatory. I don't think DLC will take two characters from the same series. I guess you could lump Shin Megami Tensei and other SNK series in here, but (at least in the case of a SMT rep), they still have a slim chance of happening.
  • Any company (excluding Nintendo themselves) that already has a character in this Fighter's Pass
    • FP2 already has a Microsoft, Square Enix, and Bandai Namco rep, and I don't expect the development team to pull two characters from the same company in the same Fighter's Pass (no Master Cheif, Sora, Crono, 2B, Nightmare, Klonoa, etc.). This also includes Bethesda, as two of their big frontrunners are Mii costumes and Doomguy seemed to be deconfirmed by some names at Id Software.
  • A Fighting game character
    • I don't expect two fighting game characters back-to-back (so no ArcSys character or any other fighting game character you can think of)
  • A Capcom rep
    • This one's debatable, but Capcom has had a bunch of costumes spread across both Fighter's Passes, and many of their big characters and series are out of the running (Dante, Monster Hunter, Leon, etc.). Honestly, the only Capcom character I think still has a chance is Phoenix Wright because of his history on Nintendo platforms, but, even then, I really don't see that happening.
  • Ryu Hayabusa
    • Seemingly deconfirmed by Koei Tecmo themselves...

So, where does that leave us in terms of big names? Who's still in the running?
  • Nintendo Characters
    • Although Nintendo theoretically has a decent amount to choose from, what could the character bring with them? Remember, each Challenger's Pack isn't just a fighter: it comes with a stage, music tracks, and a Spirit board. How many frontrunning Nintendo character could bring a wholly new stage, music, and Spirit board with them? I'd argue the only options for a Nintendo rep as it stands are a Gen 8 Pokemon or a franchise from Nintendo that has yet to receive a fighter, as both could bring a stage, music, and a small collection of Spirits with them. However, I wouldn't want the game to end with either of these, as the former would be one of the worst ways to end the DLC and the latter doesn't have many relevant franchises to choose from (the only name that comes to mind is Advance Wars, and I don't see that happening).
  • Sega Characters
    • This one's interesting, as I could see a Sega rep happening earlier in the pass but not as much anymore. Really, the options are limited to Eggman, Arle, Axel Stone, and the SMTV protagonist (unless you want to stretch a little bit and recommend another Sega franchise), and I really don't see any of those happening.
  • Konami Characters
    • Konami hasn't gotten a DLC character yet, but they got Simon in the base game, so I don't expect anything from them either.
That leaves us with companies that do not have a playable fighter yet, which is what I think the last character will be. Here are some big options that fit this bill that aren't deconfirmed yet and don't fit any of the criteria I listed earlier (I looked at the Top 50 of each category in the RTC thread. Obviously I'll be missing a few):
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Professor Layton or Jibanyan (although I don't see a Level 5 rep happening)
  • Reimu (Touhou's still a long shot though...)
  • Tracer (But I don't want Overwatch...)
  • Frisk (the only thing going for Frisk is that Undertale has yet to receive Spirits...)
  • Ahri from League of Legends
  • Harvest Moon rep (Seems too niche nowadays)
  • Quote (I don't really see this happening)
  • Ezio
  • Monokuma (I still don't think Danganronpa will happen in Smash)
  • Rayman
  • Carmen Sandiego (This was a meme pick and you know it)
  • Gordon Freeman or the Heavy from TF2 (Sorry, but I don't think Valve isn't happening)

Basically, I want the final character to be in one of two categories:
  • A character that is a fan favorite, has significance to gaming as a whole or is requested frequently
  • A character Sakurai's been wanting to do for a long time (c'mon, he deserves it)
If the last character fits either of those bills, I'll be happy.

Obviously, everything above is subjective and is my own opinion, but this is what I think.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Now that we're down to a single upcoming character, I want to give my two cents on what I expect/want from the last character:

These characters obviously are not happening, since they appeared as either a DLC Mii Costume or Spirit (Assist Trophies are excluded here, as I feel they are solid deconfirmations as well)
  • Rex
  • Protagonists of Persona 3 and 4
  • Tails and Knuckles
  • Goemon
  • Mega Man X or Zero
  • Sans
  • Jacky (Virtua Fighter)
  • Altair
  • Rabbids
  • Cuphead
  • Heihachi
  • Vault Boy
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Geno
  • Monster Hunter Rep
  • Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins)
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Dragonborn
  • Dante
  • Shantae
  • Labo Rep
  • Daemon X Machina Rep
  • Resident Evil Rep
  • Astral Chain Rep
  • Kunio
  • Ring Fit Trainee
  • Trials of Mana Rep
  • Octopath Rep
  • Bravely Default 2 Rep

These characters aren't explicitly deconfirmed, but there's reason to believe they won't be the last character:
  • Any Series that already got a Fighter's Pass Character
    • This one's pretty self-explanatory. I don't think DLC will take two characters from the same series. I guess you could lump Shin Megami Tensei and other SNK series in here, but (at least in the case of a SMT rep), they still have a slim chance of happening.
  • Any company (excluding Nintendo themselves) that already has a character in this Fighter's Pass
    • FP2 already has a Microsoft, Square Enix, and Bandai Namco rep, and I don't expect the development team to pull two characters from the same company in the same Fighter's Pass (no Master Cheif, Sora, Crono, 2B, Nightmare, Klonoa, etc.). This also includes Bethesda, as two of their big frontrunners are Mii costumes and Doomguy seemed to be deconfirmed by some names at Id Software.
  • A Fighting game character
    • I don't expect two fighting game characters back-to-back (so no ArcSys character or any other fighting game character you can think of)
  • A Capcom rep
    • This one's debatable, but Capcom has had a bunch of costumes spread across both Fighter's Passes, and many of their big characters and series are out of the running (Dante, Monster Hunter, Leon, etc.). Honestly, the only Capcom character I think still has a chance is Phoenix Wright because of his history on Nintendo platforms, but, even then, I really don't see that happening.

So, where does that leave us in terms of big names? Who's still in the running?
  • Nintendo Characters
    • Although Nintendo theoretically has a decent amount to choose from, what could the character bring with them? Remember, each Challenger's Pack isn't just a fighter: it comes with a stage, music tracks, and a Spirit board. How many frontrunning Nintendo character could bring a wholly new stage, music, and Spirit board with them? I'd argue the only options for a Nintendo rep as it stands are a Gen 8 Pokemon or a franchise from Nintendo that has yet to receive a fighter, as both could bring a stage, music, and a small collection of Spirits with them. However, I wouldn't want the game to end with either of these, as the former would be one of the worst ways to end the DLC and the latter doesn't have many relevant franchises to choose from (the only name that comes to mind is Advance Wars, and I don't see that happening).
  • Sega Characters
    • This one's interesting, as I could see a Sega rep happening earlier in the pass but not as much anymore. Really, the options are limited to Eggman, Arle, Axel Stone, and the SMTV protagonist (unless you want to stretch a little bit and recommend another Sega franchise), and I really don't see any of those happening.
  • Konami Characters
    • Konami hasn't gotten a DLC character yet, but they got Simon in the base game, so I don't expect anything from them either.
That leaves us with companies that do not have a playable fighter yet, which is what I think the last character will be. Here are some big options that fit this bill that aren't deconfirmed yet and don't fit any of the criteria I listed earlier (I looked at the Top 50 of each category in the RTC thread. Obviously I'll be missing a few):
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Professor Layton or Jibanyan (although I don't see a Level 5 rep happening)
  • Reimu (Touhou's still a long shot though...)
  • Tracer (But I don't want Overwatch...)
  • Frisk (the only thing going for Frisk is that Undertale has yet to receive Spirits...)
  • Ahri from League of Legends
  • Harvest Moon rep (Seems too niche nowadays)
  • Quote (I don't really see this happening)
  • Ezio
  • Monokuma (I still don't think Danganronpa will happen in Smash)
  • Rayman
  • Carmen Sandiego (This was a meme pick and you know it)
  • Gordon Freeman or the Heavy from TF2 (Sorry, but I don't think Valve isn't happening)

Basically, I want the final character to be in one of two categories:
  • A character that is a fan favorite, has significance to gaming as a whole or is requested frequently
  • A character Sakurai's been wanting to do for a long time (c'mon, he deserves it)
If the last character fits either of those bills, I'll be happy.

Obviously, everything above is subjective and is my own opinion, but this is what I think.
About Hayabusa, he was deconfirmed by Yasuda (idk his first name) of Koei Tecmo, explicitly stating they have no plans for crossover appearances with Hayabusa.

also, I sound like a broken record/blatant shill at this point but I really do feel Octoling shouldn’t be slept on for another Nintendo character

D

Deleted member

Thread jumped 20 pages the last time I checked it, so Ima just share a few thoughts on today.

Honestly, I dropped off of playing Smash since Sephiroth came out and haven't felt like getting back to it. As it turns out, I'm just far more interested in speculation than actually playing the game itself lol. I haven't gotten around to playing P/M, and I'm probably going to skip out on playing Kazuya as well until we get to the last DLC character. Quite frankly, I wasn't as interested in all the bits involving Kazuya's moveset, but the stuff outside of it was always going to intrigue me. According to Sakurai, Heihachi wasn't chosen because he didn't have devil genes, which sounds pretty silly, but looking at how devil gene is implemented, I guess Sakurai didn't envision anything Heihachi could use for specials. 39 tracks currently makes Tekken the series with the most music in Vol 2, and it's very unlikely CP11 will outdo that number of tracks.

As for the Mii Costumes, Lloyd was not surprising the slightest since he was the last Smash 4 costume of the bunch. Dragonborn was a Mii Costume I was thinking would happen before Vault Boy, so I'm sorta surprised Fallout got content in Smash before Skyrim did. To me, games with customizable protagonists are easy shoe-ins for Mii Costumes since the whole idea around customization is playing around with how your character looks and plays, so Dragonborn would fit more for a Mii Costume than an fighter to me. Dante and Shantae were the biggest surprises of the Mii Costume lineups throughout Vol 2. I was of the impression that Dante would only be in Smash as a fighter since Devil May Cry had no presence on a Nintendo platform up until a few years after the Switch came out. To me, it was either make it or break it, so this was a surprise. As for Shantae, I just wasn't expecting a Mii to have a somewhat revealing upper body costume since none of the Mii Costumes are that revealing. We don't even have a shirtless male Mii Costume for that matter, but regardless, it's nice to see Shantae come out with an additional track. It seems apparent that only Indie game characters get to have 1 track alongside their costumes probably because licensing isn't as restrictive with the people behind the games in comparison to the companies that own bigger IPs. I sure do wonder what would happen if CP11 ends up being an Indie character.

Speaking of, I'm glad Sakurai finally said CP11 will be the last DLC character in Ultimate. I don't hate speculation by any means, but I'm glad he just outright said this will be the last character instead of leaving it open ended to get people's hopes up.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I have a question. Did the leaker of the Cacomallow leak came forward that the leak is fake? If not, then should we call him/her out somewhere or recreate the leak to see it's fake? Not the hat models, but everything; the timer and the camera. And then compare the 2 footages.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
It's impressive how Crash keeps dodging the big deconfirm waves even though most people have given up on him. Guess activision not being associated with this game yet has helped in that regard.

I'm brewing up a list of random franchises i want coupled with some characters i think they are likely, but i'm saving the big one once we are near the final reveal. The most likely reveal by far has to be a Pokemon, no way that spirit event was the last of what we will see from Sword and Shield

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So here is a list of mii costumes along with the characters that released with them.

Joker
  • Yu Narukami (Sword)
  • Makoto Yuki (Sword)
  • Teddie (Hat)
  • Morgana (Hat)
  • Tails (Gunner, Returning)
  • Knuckles (Brawler, Returning)
Hero
  • Veronica (Sword)
  • Erdrick (Sword)
  • Martial Artist (Brawler)
  • Slime (Hat)
Banjo & Kazooie
  • Goemon (Sword)
  • Team Rocket (Brawler)
  • Sans (Gunner, Premium)
  • Zero (Sword, Returning)
  • Protoman (Gunner, Returning)
Terry Bogard
  • Nakoruru (Sword)
  • Ryo Sakazaki (Brawler)
  • Iori Yagami (Brawler)
  • Akira (Brawler, Returning)
  • Jacky (Brawler, Returning)
Byleth
  • Rabbid (Hat)
  • Altair (Sword)
  • Cuphead (Gunner, Premium)
  • Megaman X (Gunner, Returning)
  • Megaman.exe (Gunner, Returning)
Min Min
  • Ninjara (Brawler)
  • Callie (Brawler)
  • Marie (Gunner)
  • Vault Boy (Gunner)
  • Heihachi (Brawler, Returning)
Steve/Alex
  • Creeper (Brawler)
  • Pig (Brawler)
  • Diamond Armour (Sword)
  • Bomberman (Brawler)
  • Travis Touchdown (Sword)
  • Gil (Sword, Returning)
Sephiroth
  • Barret (Gunner)
  • Aerith (Sword)
  • Tifa (Brawler)
  • Chocobo (Hat, Returning)
  • Geno (Gunner, Returning)
Pyra/Mythra
  • Felyne (Hat)
  • Arthur (Sword)
  • Hunter's Armour (Sword, Returning)
  • Rathalos Armour (Sword, Returning)
Kazuya Mishima
  • Dragonborn (Sword)
  • Dante (Sword)
  • Shantae (Brawler, Premium)
  • Lloyd (Sword, Returning)
Total
Brawler: 11 new (15 with returning)
Sword: 13 new (18 with returning)
Gunner: 4 new (10 with returning)
Hat: 5 (6 with returning)

Very Interesting how more than half of the Gunner costumes are ones returning from Smash 4.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
It's impressive how Crash keeps dodging the big deconfirm waves even though most people have given up on him. Guess activision not being associated with this game yet has helped in that regard.

I'm brewing up a list of random franchises i want coupled with some characters i think they are likely, but i'm saving the big one once we are near the final reveal. The most likely reveal by far has to be a Pokemon, no way that spirit event was the last of what we will see from Sword and Shield
Sora, BWD and Eggman have dodged these bullets as well.

Shroob

Sup?
I have a question. Did the leaker of the Cacomallow leak came forward that the leak is fake? If not, then should we call him/her out somewhere or recreate the leak to see it's fake? Not the hat models, but everything; the timer and the camera. And then compare the 2 footages.
Stop

No

Let it die

It's fake.

We don't even know who made it. It was some anonymous user on 4chan. Calling them out won't do anything because there's no way to know who's real or not.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Was the Mii Wave that big a slaughter?

Dovahkiin was never really big in speculation. Most of us counted out Bethesda after the interview, and assumed Doomguy would be our choice if we did get the rep.

Lloyd was competing with Yuri and the other Namcos, and was already losing interest after Bamco got Tekken.

Shantae was big but most people counted her out due to her already getting representation. Though she did get a fair bit of talk.

Dante was a big deconfirm theres no way I can spin that.

All in I don’t think this was the massacre its being seen as. If was still really cool though.
Most of them were heavily speculated prior to Kazuya so I'd say yes

Lloyd was a given but there were some fans that had a sliver of hope left that he wouldn't get axed

Dragonborn was mostly used as a ''sleeper pick'' circlejerk but I could never buy it, there were some legitimate fans here and there but imo there isn't a big overlap between Skyrim and Smash Bros. players

Shantae never really stood a chance imo, she's an indie. Now people like to be smartasses and say Steve was one but fact being, even if he wasn't owned by Microsoft that's still a very damn high bar to reach, this is the best selling game of all time we are talking about and it took 5 years for him to get in.

Dante was the one that hurt me the most and prolly the whole community as well, since he's been a frontrunner in speculation for so long and tons of people wanted him. Heck, it hurts even more now considering how different aspects of his kit have already been implemented into other fighters and it was the perfect opportunity to have the Dante vs. Bayonetta matchup in the Ultimate crossover.
Personally speaking, I don't really care about next game because it's obvious that a huge part of the cast won't return, including the one character that got me hyped (Sephiroth).

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Sora, BWD and Eggman have dodged these bullets as well.
I could be due to many reasons
BWD doesn't strike me as mii costume material. Eggman as well (and let's be honest here, his support came in way too late to be taken into account).

Sora is Disney so licensing nightmare either way. Crash is Activison's property, it wouldn't be relatively cheap so I could see why they would leave him out.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

WHY. WON'T. YOU. JUST. DIE!!!!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura Having never played the Splatoon games. What would Octoling's stage be if that's the last fighter?
Probably based on Octo Expansion, like Deepsea Metro, shudder Girl Power Station, or MC. Princess Diaries, the Final Splatfest Shifty Station which has several OE references

Shroob

Sup?
What makes CacoMallow so special? Seriously? Even after the Grinch Leak was unconfirmed, folks stopped paying attention to that!
The simple answer is that the Grinch leak had an expiration date.

Even though Cacomallow is 99.9999999999999999999999999999% fake, people hang on to that microscopic percent that it could happen, as illogical as it is.

Last edited:

DittoInDisguise

Smash Apprentice
What makes CacoMallow so special? Seriously? Even after the Grinch Leak was unconfirmed, folks stopped paying attention to that!
It has SMRPG content so Geno fans cling to it so they don't have to give up hope. Plus the grinch leak had an expiration date since it was for base game.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Because supposedly it’s impossible to mod Mii hats with such detailed jiggle physics

EVEN THOUGH SOMEONE ELSE DID JUST THAT NOT LONG AFTER.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
The simple answer is that the Grinch leak had an expiration date.

Even though Cacomallow is 99.9999999999999999999999999999% fake, people hang on to that microscopic percent that it could happen, as illogical as it is.
Well, the modders and hackers tried to recreate it with the hats and recreate the videos and images from that leak. The question is, if it is fake, how did this leaker manage to pull it off? If not, then it could be real at the time. My theory is that they made costumes and hats for the upcoming pass. For the Mallow Hat, it oould be cut from the final product for either no longer needed or the staff are aware of this leak. I brought the leak back up because we got a second Bethesda costume in the same pass. And remember, the 6 fighters were finalized in late 2019 - early 2020. And the Bethesda buy out happened in the second half of 2020.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well, the modders and hackers tried to recreate it with the hats and recreate the videos and images from that leak. The question is, if it is fake, how did this leaker manage to pull it off? If not, then it could be real at the time. My theory is that they made costumes and hats for the upcoming pass. For the Mallow Hat, it oould be cut from the final product for either no longer needed or the staff are aware of this leak. I brought the leak back up because we got a second Bethesda costume in the same pass. And remember, the 6 fighters were finalized in late 2019 - early 2020. And the Bethesda buy out happened in the second half of 2020.
Then explain why they didn’t show off any new stages and still defaulted to the Hero stage?

Shroob

Sup?
They.... made some modded mii hats?

This isn't a hard question to answer.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

bottom text

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom