• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

One more to go!

How would you guys rank the newcomers so far?
I don't hate a single one. All the unique characters have brought in something I adore, and the Echo Fighters saved my Wii U/3DS main from eternal hatred (while still being just as fun as the original characters)!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

One more to go!

9/10

It’s been a great ride, there’s been so many highs. I’ve been soooo happy with some of thse choices.

I lost my mind at “Everyone Is Here!” over the triumphant return of my boy Snake. I almost died of happiness because of the duel reveal of the Belmonts & K Rool. I jumped up & geeked out hard when Joker showed his invite. I got choked up over Banjo’s debut. I laughed at all of the references in Steve’s trailer. & I shouted “NO WAY” when the first note of One Winged Angel played.

It’s close to topping Brawl as the best set of newcomers. But Brawl added like all of the coolest Nintendo characters (:ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultwario::ultdiddy::ultcharizard::ultpit::ultwolf::ultike:) & MFing:ultsonic::ultsnake:, so it’s hard to top that. Buuuuuut I think Master Chief would give Ultimate the edge for me.

DFD0C908-231C-4C79-9E1B-19228A3AB2B0.jpg

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

One more to go!

9.5/10

The newcomers are helped by the fact that Everyone is Here. All newcomers can be met free of worry that an old favorite won't be returning.

I got tons of characters I love including my most wanted Nintendo character, Ridley.

The echo branding made people excited for clones, which is something I am very happy with as they have always been bonuses. They are now treated as such.

I got motivated to try more franchises that I ended up loving like Castlevania, Persona, Dragon Quest and King of Fighters.

Tons of characters I was just okay with had super fun movesets like Incineroar, Steve, and Isabelle.

The roster has a very good blend of old and new characters and franchises.

I really don't have many complaints. Only two I can think of are that Byleth was the victim of horrendous circumstances and tone deafness (which is a shame because they're super fun to play and I love Three Houses) and that Pirahna Plant just sticks out like a sore thumb. Plant just hasn't grown on me like the other characters have.

The newcomer selection and Everyone is Here makes this my dream game. The game I always dreamed could happen but thought impossible.

Do I want more? Yeah, I'll always want more, but this game is a blessing. I am eternally thankful for this game. And I'll accept its end with a thankful heart.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I would love to see a Sony rep in Smash. Sadly, an entire chunk of them has absolutely no chance to be in Smash as a fighter...

Sackboy, Kratos, Nathan Drake, PaRappa, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Sweet Tooth... nope, not a chance at all.

The only one that would be is a certain funny spinning marsupial in orange.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I would love to see a Sony rep in Smash. Sadly, an entire chunk of them has absolutely no chance to be in Smash as a fighter...

Sackboy, Kratos, Nathan Drake, PaRappa, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Sweet Tooth... nope, not a chance at all.

The only one that would be is a certain funny spinning marsupial in orange.
Crash isn't a Sony rep.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
My tier list of the Smash newcomers would be

SSS: :ultpyra:/:ultmythra:, :ultsephiroth:
S: :ultbanjokazooie:, :ultjoker:, :ultkrool:,:ultridley:,:ultkazuya:
A: :ultsteve:, :ultsimon:/:ultrichter:, :ult_terry:, :ultken:
B: :ulthero3:, :ultinkling:, :ultchrom:, :ultpiranha:, :ultisabelle:
C: :ultdarksamus:, :ultincineroar:,:ultbylethf:, :ultminmin
F: :ultdaisy:

I think Daisy was kind of a waste where she could have just been an alt, the fact that there's no differences to her and Peach at all really disappoint me compared to the rest of the Echo Fighters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly the game's been very kind to me as there's only 3 characters I dislike, though I only had to pay for one of them even if they were all DLC. Would be nice to have more characters I outright want other than Ridley but I found most other characters we got like an 8 out of 10 at worst

Lyncario

Smash Ace
For the tier list of ssbu newcomers, I have this one from before Kazuya
my-image (1).png

Kazuya goes in S tier alongside Terry.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Excellent: :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultbanjokazooie::ultridley::ultsteve:
Really Good: :ultpiranha::ultminmin
Pretty Cool::ultsephiroth::ultkazuya::ultken::ultdarksamus:
Slightly Interesting: :ultisabelle:
Okay: :ultinkling::ult_terry::ultincineroar:
Wasted Opportunities: :ulthero::ultpyra:

Don't remember whoever else was added but they'd go here.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Quick reminder, what is Forever Entertainment known for? Just wanna be sure.

Also, this is more of Nintendo's thing instead of buyouts. It's basically that one meme: "I recieve games, you recieve financial backing."

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Also, this is more of Nintendo's thing instead of buyouts. It's basically that one meme: "I recieve games, you recieve financial backing."
I think they're the people who are doing the Panzer Dragoon and House of the Dead remakes

SKX31

Smash Master
I think that's different because Brawl mostly letdown folks who were purely in it for competitive gameplay. Brawl at least banked itself on having more characters and stages and modes than Melee.
It's worth noting that the lead-up to the split was partly because there was a lot of anticipation regarding what kind of mechanics Brawl might've had, and the reality pissed a lot of those people off. GimpyFish's pre-Brawl-release thread on these forums is a really good example of that.

As for my personal thoughts on Brawl mechanically: Overall it is still a solid game to play, but some of the mechanics are particular sore spots for it. Not just random tripping, but also hitstun cancelling. Neither those mechanics prevented a competitive scene from forming - many of Ultimate's older pros are Brawl / 4 veterans - nor did they completely shut down casual enjoyment, but they were still pretty major nuisances.

Ultimate's sequel is not going to have the same kind of anticipation, so there's that. Most people are going to come into that game knowing that some cuts will happen regardless of the model chosen.

As for how I viewed the Ultimate newcomers at the time of reveal:

S-tier... none yet. But I'm not complaining.
A: :ultjoker: :ultridley: :ultsephiroth: :ultrichter:
B: :ult_terry::ultken: :ultbanjokazooie: :ultkazuya: :ultchrom: :ultdaisy: (partly since she introduced the echo fighter concept)
C: :ulthero: :ultsteve: :ultpyra: / :ultmythra: :ultinkling: :ultkrool: :ultsimon: :ultpiranha: :ultisabelle: :ultminmin :ultdarksamus:
D: :ultbyleth: :ultincineroar:

Now my opinions on how they play do differ from the reveals - of particular note the Echo Fighters, since I'm of the opinion that they could've gotten away with stat changes to Daisy and Richter in particular, but also Dark Samus. Why not give an additional reason to pick the echoes over the original kind of thinking. I was unimpressed with Hero at the time of reveal, but now he's one of my favorite Ultimate newcomers thanks to the sheer explosive potential and the feeling of playing (Russian) Roulette whenever he's on the field (something I kinda get with :ultpeach: and :ultgnw: too).

According to a quick Google search, they published the Panzer Dragoon remake, the House of the Dead remake and a whole host of smaller (seemingly shovelware or otherwise) titles. I'm lead to believe that a number of their published titles is shovelware since their official website states that they're "a leading publisher of video games for the Nintendo Switch console, as well as a producer and publisher of its own video games. " only because of the number of games they have. Not really on the games' quality AFAIK.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Newcomer from Ultimate? Sure.

S (HOLY DAMN):

• :ult_terry: (DID NOT see Terry becoming my main in Ultimate when I first heard he came out, but without a doubt the most fun character to play for me.)
  • :ultkrool: (My most wanted newcomer since Melee, about time!)
  • :ultkazuya: Predicting* (Tekken is my favourite fighting game franchise. Believe Kazuya will land here, OR above. No matter what will not end lower than A.)
  • :ultridley: (HOLY ****, it finally happened. Ridley is fun, and can't believe it finally happened lol.)

A (This is pretty epic!):

• :ultsephiroth: (Have not played Sephiroth that much, but ... IT'S SEPHIROTH, HOLY COW.)
  • :ultinkling: (Inkling is actually not only unique, but represents a modern success of a franchise. Perfect choice for Ultimate.)
  • :ultrichter::ultsimon: (They are actually super fun to use! Really enjoy their quirky, yet fun moveset.)

B (Awesome choices, pretty decent):

• :ultbanjokazooie: (SUPER HYPED for Banjo & Kazooie, my best friend's number one wish for Smash. Good choice, but a bit lackluster in gameplay to me.)
  • :ultdarksamus: (Enjoy Dark Samus over normal Samus, so that's why I placed her here).
  • :ultken: (Loved Ryu in Smash, and Ken is pretty cool too. Not the "WOW" choice, but an understandable and great alternative to Ryu in Smash.)
  • :ulthero3: (While an AWESOME choice, I never play Hero. Like, at all, only when I get him at Random Select, just not my style.)

C (Decent to meh):

• :ultincineroar: (He is unique, and as a heavyweight he would be my style, but nah. He is good, but nothing I'd enjoy playing.)
  • :ultjoker: (He looks cool, but I got no attatchment to Persona, nor the mechanics for his Smash moves. Decent, but that's it to me.)
  • :ultsteve: (No idea where to place him. He is not terrible, but it's not a character I play.)
  • :ultpiranha: (It's unique, but it's a bit awkward in terms of moves. Better than below in my opinion tho.)
  • :ultminmin (While undoubtably unique, I feel like Min-Min is awkward to play as ... I believe most ARMS characters would suffer the same tho.)
  • :ultdaisy: (Daisy IS an icon within Mario Spin-offs and is a "perfect" echo fighter. I support it, as I enjoy her more than Peach in game.)
  • :ultpyra::ultmythra: (Still not bought them, but tried them at my brother's place. Eh ... Cute design, but it's just there, sorta.)
  • :ultbyleth::ultbylethf: (If Byleth only used swords it would be instant D, but because they got a few more differences, C.)
  • :ultisabelle: (While I love Animal Crossing, and playing Villager, there is just something with Isabelle that's just not as fun. It's alright, but far better newcomers.)

D (I guess there are someone out there that enjoy him):

- :ultchrom: (Now, the plus is that he got his day to fight, but ... Blue haired swordfighter from Fire Emblem).

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I've enjoyed every newcomer, my "main" is practically the Random button so I play them all pretty equally. I've really grown to like playing with Byleth, even if he's frowned upon as another FE character.

Min min is closest to a "dream character" or a "most wanted" getting in for me, as I was really rooting for more ARMS content and really like how she turned out.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
In terms of how I rank the newcomers by how much I like their inclusion:

S: :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsteve::ultpyra:

A: :ultsephiroth::ultkazuya::ulthero::ult_terry::ultkrool::ultridley::ultbanjokazooie::ultpiranha:

B: :ultminmin:ultincineroar::ultjoker:

C: :ultinkling::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultken::ultdaisy:

D: :ultbylethf:

But overall there is something that I like about every character. Counting the DLC, this game has given us a lot of sick newcomers and some of the most unique characters yet.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

RIP Ultimate Deluxe
Things may have changed since then, it's been 13 years since Brawl came out and now we do have Definitive Editions of games, such as Xenoblade 1 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Twilord

Smash Ace
Things may have changed since then, it's been 13 years since Brawl came out and now we do have Definitive Editions of games, such as Xenoblade 1 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
Did he mean on Wii or Wii U?

Xenoblade DE was a significantly upgraded remake two generations later so isn't a useful comparison.

Mario Kart 8 DE was only a generation later.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

RIP Ultimate Deluxe
"Nintendo isn't that type of company"

u_10189483.jpg 91BphPXVYVL._AC_SY500_.jpg 81VrW5EM1NL._AC_SY500_.jpg

And don't forget these.

New_Play_Control.png

Also the fact that Sakurai considered a Brawl definitive edition does show that an Ultimate Deluxe is possible. People are kind of over selling how much third parties affect the cost of making a game like Ultimate and aren't taking into account that maybe developing 82 different characters and 108 different stages is the reason Sakurai said "I don't think there could be another Smash game like Ultimate". Especially after he said the development fell silent when he mentioned bringing everyone back.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

RIP Ultimate Deluxe
Suure, let's just ignore all the Wii U ports and the Xenoblade 1 remake...

That said, if a definitive edition of Brawl did happen, you think some of the Sm4sh fighters would make their appearance there?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Also to add my take on the newcomers
I don't hate any of them

I have a few that I'm meh about, but I'm all about the group overall
9/10 for me

If you'e noticed, 2/3 of my 6 mains are ultimate newcomers too lol
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultrichter::ultincineroar::ult_terry:

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Has anyone considered how awkward the Kazuya presentation might be if the European broadcast can't mention he's from Tekken?

"Unlike fighting games such as Street Fighter or Fatal Fury, THAT GAME KAZUYA IS FROM is a 3D fighter. This means not only are the characters rendered in 3D, but you can also move in 3 dimensions. THAT GAME KAZUYA IS FROM also has a button scheme based on your character's four limbs, instead of a conventional 6 button setup with light, medium, and heavy punches and kicks."

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Has anyone considered how awkward the Kazuya presentation might be if the European broadcast can't mention he's from Tekken?

"Unlike fighting games such as Street Fighter or Fatal Fury, THAT GAME KAZUYA IS FROM is a 3D fighter. This means not only are the characters rendered in 3D, but you can also move in 3 dimensions. THAT GAME KAZUYA IS FROM also has a button scheme based on your character's four limbs, instead of a conventional 6 button setup with light, medium, and heavy punches and kicks."
European Broadcast but every time Sakurai mentions Tekken it bleeps the sound out.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

Why on Earth would the Europe one not be able to mentioned the word Tekken, also Japanese for Iron Fist. Hmm. Don't see why that would be an issue?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Why on Earth would the Europe one not be able to mentioned the word Tekken, also Japanese for Iron Fist. Hmm. Don't see why that would be an issue?
Check the European versions of the site, the banner says "X Kazuya" instead of "X Tekken".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom