• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
bro premium mii skins are a slap in the face lmao

like they finally made it as paid dlc but not really
I feel like it depends on the character. If it's an indie character, especially one where the Mii could play similarly to them, a lot of people are happy just to see them get acknowledged by a game as big as Smash. (especially if it means that we get a great music track in the process)

If it's something like this, on the other hand...

...then it's a slap in the face.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel like it depends on the character. If it's an indie character, especially one where the Mii could play similarly to them, a lot of people are happy just to see them get acknowledged by a game as big as Smash. (especially if it means that we get a great music track in the process)

That's not a Premium Mii skin. That's a regular Mii skin. If it was Premium, it'd be taken a lotttttt better. There'd still be salt, but he wouldn't look like a de-skinned reptile.

Shroob

Sup?
Man.

You all think you're asking the hard-hitting questions when discussing whether the Lloyd costume is coming back.

When what you should be asking is if this glorious man will get a Mii Costume alongside Katamari music.
View attachment 319974
Compromise

We just get a Katamari stage with a whole bunch of Katamari music.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Man.

You all think you're asking the hard-hitting questions when discussing whether the Lloyd costume is coming back.

When what you should be asking is if this glorious man will get a Mii Costume alongside Katamari music.
View attachment 319974
If this happened I would probably become a instant Mii Brawler main.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
On the topic of Mii Costumes, I wonder if Sakurai will actually address why the Heihachi costume came with Min Min and not with Kazuya. There will probably be a lot of interesting implications depending on why that happened if it's brought up.

Talking about Heihachi in the upcoming presentation is pretty much guaranteed like with how Rex was mentioned in the Pythra presentation.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Compromise

We just get a Katamari stage with a whole bunch of Katamari music.
I wouldn't even call that a compromise.
That's just a better deal, straight up.

Ok, not being to play as the King or Prince would suck, but at least we'd get a lot of guaranteed bangers to go along the stage.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
On the topic of Mii Costumes, I wonder if Sakurai will actually address why the Heihachi costume came with Min Min and not with Kazuya. There will probably be a lot of interesting implications depending on why that happened if it's brought up.

Talking about Heihachi in the upcoming presentation is pretty much guaranteed like with how Rex was mentioned in the Pythra presentation.
My guess is that maybe mii costumes sell better disconnected from their series? Persona/Dragon Quest/KOF fans were satisfied with their character and didn't bother with their miis, but Undertale/Altair/Tekken fans took what they could get?

MattX20

Smash Hero

My guess for why Sakurai probably did that was just to keep the identity of a Tekken rep in Smash a surprise. If Heihachi's costume didn't show up at all up until Kazuya, most people would've been guessing a Tekken rep. That, and Heihachi fit the theme of fighting games, which ARMS is and MinMin reps

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Harada did a little trolling.

D

Deleted member

K. Rool is already in the game lmao why are you acting so entitled

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My guess for why Sakurai probably did that was just to keep the identity of a Tekken rep in Smash a surprise. If Heihachi's costume didn't show up at all up until Kazuya, most people would've been guessing a Tekken rep. That, and Heihachi fit the theme of fighting games, which ARMS is and MinMin reps
It’s kinda why I’m hoping the same applies to a Splatoon rep with the Squid Sisters Miis earlier in the pass

them being a decoy for a playable Off the Hook would be perfectly ironic, but I’d be happy with Octoling too

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If we're talking about "decoy Miis" - Which I'm not really sure about, Sakurai doesn't really pull off 4D chess moves like some make him out to - The most obvious would probably Altair, seeing as Ezio's the "main" Assassin.

...Then again, maybe that's a bit too obvious.
There's various characters/companies the same concept could apply to; putting in a Vault Boy Mii costume fairly early while eventually revealing a Dovahkiin fighter way later. Not likely, but it would fit within the same idea.

D

Deleted member

1. This costume existed before K. Rool was added.
2. I'm pretty sure this is less complaining about this specific instance and more just showing it as an example of what a "non-premium" Mii costume looks like.
1.) yeah of course I know that I wasn’t born yesterday, just weird people are still upset about it all these years later when he’s already in the game
2.) they’re not adding premium costumes for every character
3.) mii costumes are always better than nothing; calling them a slap in the face in any circumstancis entitled
4.) also weird that indie characters are devalued in this scenario but go off

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If we're talking about "decoy Miis" - Which I'm not really sure about, Sakurai doesn't really pull off 4D chess moves like some make him out to - The most obvious would probably Altair, seeing as Ezio's the "main" Assassin.

...Then again, maybe that's a bit too obvious.
Seems like every single time a "rule" is broken, it takes a while for another fighter held back by said "rule" to make it in.
  • Second Western character after Banjo came 4 challenger packs later
  • Second promoted spirit after Min Min came 3 packs later
  • Second third-party villain after Sephiroth came 2 packs later, and we still haven't gotten a second unique rep for Sonic, Mega Man etc.
Judging from this you'll have to hope for FP3 for a character "deconfirmed" by a Mii costume.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they would include Ezio before a long standing request like Rayman tbh, even if the franchise does sell better it'd be kinda scummy

Bethesda may or may not have a chance in Dovahkiin, but tbh the same applies for every new company with content already in Smash and so far we haven't seen any in FP2. All in all it's fair to say Nintendo will play it safe and stick with the same companies from base game. As for who'll be next?
Both Resident Evil and Sonic seem to be back on track as the Sega/Capcom frontrunners.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Seems like every single time a "rule" is broken, it takes a while for another fighter held back by said "rule" to make it in.
  • Second Western character after Banjo came 4 challenger packs later
  • Second promoted spirit after Min Min came 3 packs later
  • Second third-party villain after Sephiroth came 2 packs later, and we still haven't gotten a second unique rep for Sonic, Mega Man etc.
Judging from this you'll have to hope for FP3 for a character "deconfirmed" by a Mii costume.
That's true...

HOWEVER

The examples you listed - In chronological order, though you should know this, having posted them yourself - Have a second pattern. The gap between the initial pattern-breaker and their successor has been shrinking with every release. Assuming this pattern holds, the series once thought to be deconfirmed by a Mii should be only one pack later.

In other words, the last fighter will have had a Mii from their series come earlier, all thanks to Shrinking Gap Theory!

:4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
3.) mii costumes are always better than nothing; calling them a slap in the face in any circumstancis entitled
Not when the design wouldn't appeal to you regardless of your attatchment to the character. I think the idea here is more that the Mii Costume is butt ugly than the fact it existed in the first place.

also weird that indie characters are devalued in this scenario but go off
I don't think they're being devalued so much as they're still thought of as "never ever" characters, so even being acknowledged is viewed as a major success. It also helps that the two indie Mii Costumes are widely considered to be the best in the game, and even came with a music track.

I know the two statements sound contradictory so I'll sum it up: Mii Costumes are better than nothing with a decent execution, but if the Mii Costume doesn't actually look good, then going "thanks, I hate it!" isn't really entitled.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That's what made you stop? I mean, you were believing him before, even after Master Chief and 4 Guardians?
Well, no, that's what made me stop. Since if he thought MC and 4G were the last two, that means no Hayabusa.

I'll believe anyone if they tell me Hayabusa is coming. Otherwise, they're 100% fake!

Verg shot himself with the 4 Champ stuff.
We'll all be eating **** when FP11 comes out, it's Master Chief, and the pack comes with all 4 of the Champs as Miis. :p

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
I think vergeben is a punk but I wouldn’t be surprised. His credibility is tainted butttttt, he’s been super right before.
Yeah, we have to keep in mind that Verge still can be right about MC. I never wanted him as a character, but Verge have got much more things right than wrong in his track record.

Also, if that'll be the case, the "max three characters per company" theory will be kinda confirmed. KINDA.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I don't really have a horse in the Mii costume race since I don't use Miis and the only ones I ever bought were Sans and Cuphead since they came with a music track (although I did end up buying Creeper and Pig since they look silly). So in general I don't really care for them and mainly recognize them as a decomfirmation and nothing else.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't really have a horse in the Mii costume race since I don't use Miis and the only ones I ever bought were Sans and Cuphead since they came with a music track (although I did end up buying Creeper and Pig since they look silly). So in general I don't really care for them and mainly recognize them as a decomfirmation and nothing else.
I use the Miis on occasion but they sorely need a moveset indicator on their HUD so that I don't have to go back to Mii Maker to check which moves they have.

I also just...don't buy the Mii Costumes so I don't particularly care which they show off unless it's something I didn't expect, but wanted (ex. I would care if they showed off an Amaterasu hat or something here, but not about anything Namco since I know they're disconfirmed).

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yeah, we have to keep in mind that Verge still can be right about MC. I never wanted him as a character, but Verge have got much more things right than wrong in his track record.

Also, if that'll be the case, the "max three characters per company" theory will be kinda confirmed. KINDA.
Nobody's known a damn thing about FP2 (or atleast, not even willing to give out information) since it started. The closest we have to an outright leak is Practicalbrush 10 minutes before a reveal. Why should we humor Verge knowing CP11 3-4 months before reveal?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I use the Miis on occasion but they sorely need a moveset indicator on their HUD so that I don't have to go back to Mii Maker to check which moves they have.

I also just...don't buy the Mii Costumes so I don't particularly care which they show off unless it's something I didn't expect, but wanted (ex. I would care if they showed off an Amaterasu hat or something here, but not about anything Namco since I know they're disconfirmed).
honestly I don't use Miis in... any game really.
I'm playing video games to escape reality, not embrace my reality through a fictional avatar.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Nobody's known a damn thing about FP2 (or atleast, not even willing to give out information) since it started. The closest we have to an outright leak is Practicalbrush 10 minutes before a reveal. Why should we humor Verge knowing CP11 3-4 months before reveal?
Maybe for Microsoft face of the medal. Steve was known ages before, iirc Banjo at the end was leaked too

Just thinking in high voice here, only a supposition

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
Anyway

It's been brought up before, but I noticed that Nintendo is saying "No Information regarding CP11 will be shown" in their Tweet about the Kazuya presentation.

Beforehand, they always used to say something like "Future fighters."

Really hammering in "This train's reaching its final destination", huh?
Funny thing is: reading your post, before reading the last sentence, I thought you were going to say something like "mh, so maybe they won't talk about CP11... but about other futurr fighters!".
Like for example the rumored bonus fighter, if not the announcement of the FP3 (I mean, also FP2 was announced as a surprise during the Sakurai presents of the penultimate FP1 character)

Shroob

Sup?
Funny thing is: reading your post, before reading the last sentence, I thought you were going to say something like "mh, so maybe they won't talk about CP11... but about other futurr fighters!".
Like for example the rumored bonus fighter, if not the announcement of the FP3 (I mean, also FP2 was announced as a surprise during the Sakurai presents of the penultimate FP1 character)
It was "Announced", but we knew more DLC was coming by that point, it was said in September 2019.

At the moment, Nintendo and Sakurai are hard pushing "This is it."

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It was "Announced", but we knew more DLC was coming by that point, it was said in September 2019.

At the moment, Nintendo and Sakurai are hard pushing "This is it."
Here's the thing, though: will we get the trailer on a Fall Direct or are we getting another Final Presentation like we did in Smash 4?

Depending on how close the fighter is from launching then, and seeing as how that's what happened with Byleth, maybe we'll get a two-in-one trailer + character breakdown.

Shroob

Sup?
Here's the thing, though: will we get the trailer on a Fall Direct or are we getting another Final Presentation like we did in Smash 4?

Depending on how close the fighter is from launching then, and seeing as how that's what happened with Byleth, maybe we'll get a two-in-one trailer + character breakdown.
Woke: A Sakurai Presents is announced.

Broke: A Nintendo Direct gives the trailer.

Nightmare: A Nintendo Direct is announced, and the Direct announces a Sakurai Presents for a later date, making it an announcement of an announcement.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
honestly I don't use Miis in... any game really.
I'm playing video games to escape reality, not embrace my reality through a fictional avatar.
That's a pretty ironic take considering self-insert characters/avatars are supposed to aid in escapism.

Not a bad one, it just means that it doesn't have that effect for you.

"This train's reaching its final destination"
readies gun

Always has been.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Steve, at the Time Verge said anything, was not chosen for Smash at that point. Much like he heard about Talks with Koei Tecmo, he likely heard talks about Minecraft in Smash. They took 5 years after all, it would not be surprising for some stray employee to leak the talks happening.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be fair, Vergeben had no idea what Minecraft would be in regards to Smash, all he had heard was that he heard of it.

He himself thought it could be a stage, a Mii costume, or even a boss fight.
And one unreliable person said he'd be a character.

Verge was right only about Minecraft, and since we knew it was a five year thing? Well, it makes sense he got leaked on it and it didn't show up till Pass 2. That actually evens out well. He's also one of many who kind of heard about Sephiroth via the Square Seven, but I highly doubt it was taken we'd get more than a specific thing. Didn't he hear a bit about Luminary other than this list too? I remember him talking about Erdrick, but I forget if he spoke on Luminary during DLC.

Steve, at the Time Verge said anything, was not chosen for Smash at that point. Much like he heard about Talks with Koei Tecmo, he likely heard talks about Minecraft in Smash. They took 5 years after all, it would not be surprising for some stray employee to leak the talks happening.
Actually, more characters were planned after Pass 1 from the start. We were told of this before Pass 2 announced. Pass 2 as a concept was greenlit later. Steve was very likely already a Bonus Character by that point. Who the other one(or two) were is unknown.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Actually, more characters were planned after Pass 1 from the start. We were told of this before Pass 2 announced. Pass 2 as a concept was greenlit later. Steve was very likely already a Bonus Character by that point. Who the other one(or two) were is unknown.
I'm going to fundamentally disagree with that. Sakurai saying "I thought maybe one or two more would suffice" does not mean that more were planned after the pass since the start. I'm also going to go so far as to say that FP2 was finalized before the "more DLC" announcement was made. Imran has also implied as much as he said the pass was finalized around E3 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom