• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyone make pass mock-up requests still

cause if anyone could make one where Octoling is the last fighter, both female and male alts (and a variant where Off The Hook is the last fighter instead) it’d be appreciated. Purple bg for both variants

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's what made you stop? I mean, you were believing him before?
I was starting to doubt Vergeben when he said he’d “look into” the LoL rumor, the topic got deleted and he vanished after that

but when he doubled down on a MC + Guardians reveal only for it to be Kazuya… yeah.

#VergebenIsOverParty

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Eh, I think it would be more stage dependent. Maybe all of the grassland stages would be lit similarly, but they wouldn't be lit the same as darker stages like Shadow Moses Island, Fountain of Dreams, Final Destination, ect., and none of them would really look the same as Kalos Pokémon League, which is lit through stained glass... I really do think the stage would change a lot about how it would look, especially if they leaned into the original artstyles just a tad more (though how much you could really do that would depend on a lot of things).
Yes, different types of areas would be lit differently, but that's not really what I mean. The overarching philosophy would still be the same: it'd be the same realistic, hyper-detailed lighting that's become synonymous with "good" lighting nowadays, and I'm sick of looking at it.

Ah, I may be giving off the impression Smash Ultimate isn't like that. Just to be clear, in my opinion, it has the same problem. Not as much fidelity as what you're talking about, but I feel roughly the same way about it.

I'll have to disagree. Taking a look at Baby Park, the colors are actually super washed out on the GameCube compared to the Switch (or at least, they're intentionally not all that vibrant). There are some aesthetic touches I like better on the GameCube version such as the design of the start banner and the Shine Sprite carousel, but the Switch version is definitely more visually striking (if a bit intentionally garish).

Perhaps that's an exception to the rule, but I don't really know which tracks come from where off hand so I'm not able to check all that quickly.
I was specifically thinking of Dry Dry Desert and Yoshi Circuit. The former, especially.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I think the reason we're not getting indie characters is that Edmund McMillen is snatching them all up.
This is coming after cards for Spelunky, VVVVVV, Friday Night Funkin', Dicey Dungeons, Hollow Knight, Castle Crashers, and several other indies I don't know.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Anyone make pass mock-up requests still

cause if anyone could make one where Octoling is the last fighter, both female and male alts (and a variant where Off The Hook is the last fighter instead) it’d be appreciated. Purple bg for both variants
Badda Bing
fighters pass 2 Kazuya Octoling.jpg

Badda Boom
fighters pass 2 Kazuya Off the Hook.jpg

Louie G.

Smash Hero
oh yea cant wait until the next dlc character is non master chief
Going to be frustrating to see people dunk on Chief for three months just because Verge decided to stick his nose where it wasn’t welcome when quite frankly Chief doesn’t deserve to be dragged like that. His fans have been very humble and respectful toward all sorts of characters and like any other fanbase would got their hopes up once something promising revealed itself.

Master Chief isn’t even a character who has been a consistent “frontrunner” since the beginning or anything, he’s a character who was actively seen as disqualified up until a month or two ago when people finally eased up on the double dipping stuff. I don’t know. It really doesn’t sit well with me that I’m seeing so many digs at Master Chief’s expense when his situation really doesn’t warrant it.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Watch that the last fighter is indeed Master Chief as he "Finishes the fight" and people start going back to VergeBen.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
You know... I notice that PracticalBrush12 never did post anything after that first E3 wave... do you think Nintendo pointed a figurative gun in his/her general direction or did they just come up empty for leaks?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know... I notice that PracticalBrush12 never did post anything after that first E3 wave... do you think Nintendo pointed a figurative gun in his/her general direction or did he just come up empty for leaks?
They DID say getting Smash stuff would be hard but I wouldn’t be surprised if, after they leaked all those titles, Nintendo had snipers on the ready

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Going to be frustrating to see people dunk on Chief for three months just because Verge decided to stick his nose where it wasn’t welcome when quite frankly Chief doesn’t deserve to be dragged like that. His fans have been very humble and respectful toward all sorts of characters and like any other fanbase would got their hopes up once something promising revealed itself.

Master Chief isn’t even a character who has been a consistent “frontrunner” since the beginning or anything, he’s a character who was actively seen as disqualified up until a month or two ago when people finally eased up on the double dipping stuff. I don’t know. It really doesn’t sit well with me that I’m seeing so many digs at Master Chief’s expense when his situation really doesn’t warrant it.
I blame that on the people who pushed the double dip idea. It felt very double standard-y when it was really only used to back Chief and no other character (aside from I guess Rie and Neku). That kind of prevailing logic will turn people sour, and unfortunately Chief was made into the face of it. As someone who would love to see him in Smash it sucks but it is what it is.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I have no interest for Master Chief one way or the other but as was said above, Master Chief's fanbase is probably the most bearable of any character with a semi-large support base; and that includes those that I'm a part of. I have never seen a toxic or bitter Master Chief supporter. I'm sure they exist but they're definitely rare. Probably one of the easiest fanbases to be happy for if he does make it.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I was specifically thinking of Dry Dry Desert and Yoshi Circuit. The former, especially.
I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree there, both of those tracks look beautiful in Mario Kart 8, as does every other retro track. The colors may be a bit less saturated than they were in the original game but I think it looks much better.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Wait he believed that? I thought the reference to the champions was part of the Halo easter egg or something.
From what's been said, he posted the titular line of "We Are The Champions" as four separate lines. So he didn't explicitly say "The Champions are in," but he basically did the closest thing to it.

Or at least, that's what I've been told.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
From what's been said, he posted the titular line of "We Are The Champions" as four separate lines. So he didn't explicitly say "The Champions are in," but he basically did the closest thing to it.

Or at least, that's what I've been told.

Right here.

Someone was calling him out as being not credible, his response was to quote We are the Champions, and break it up into 4 lines.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Wait he believed that? I thought the reference to the champions was part of the Halo easter egg or something.
It's not even an easter egg, it's just a random Grunt quote if you die in campaign.
And even then, they literally just say "We are the Champions"
none of the extra lines at all

The only feasible explanation outside of Verge being dumb enough to believe in all 4 BotW champions in a single slot was him getting way too ahead of himself and being a cocky ass which just makes it a bigger faceplant than it already was.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
What Smash Bros stage would make the most fun inspiration for a Mario Kart stage?
Still think there should be an arcade Donkey Kong track in Mario Kart, driving up the red girders and around incoming barrels thrown by a giant retro DK and occasionally a flaming oil barrel and jacks and such.

So 75m

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I can definitely see what you mean with Dry Dry Desert, though a lot more is going on there than just lighting. The fact that they decided that everything should be the same color is probably the most egregious thing here (though it is kind of funny that they added a water section to "Dry Dry" desert).

I will also agree that Yoshi Circuit definitely has more verdant greens, though the most visually interesting area (the underpass around the nose) was completely ruined not because of the lighting system, but because they added more light sources to get rid of the "sun filtering in" effect the previous iteration had.

I don't think lighting is the main issue in either case though, but moreso that they're trying to swing to photorealism when it comes to environmental design, but things look their best when their not even pretending to be realistic (for example: Rainbow Road (N64) is absolutely gorgeous).

Similarly with Super Smash Bros., I think the colors are intentionally washed out a bit to give the game its watercolor aesthetic.

You know; Nodon Character would make a pretty great Mii Costume...
Ah yes. I would love to play as the Default Cube. :4pacman:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Something curious is that the Spanish trailer appears Super Smash Bros Ultimate x Tekken but on the official Spanish page it appears Super Smash Bros Ultimate x Kazuya
View attachment 319954

This is an error or something strange with the page more than license or pegy issue. If you list the fighters by series all logos are gone and replaced by the name of the first character, also the page don't work well, at least in my devices. They will fix it in the next update, maybe.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You know what's weird about the whole Vergeben situation? Whenever he gets something wrong, he usually gets defensive about it and explains the thing in another post. Yet he hasn't done that for the rest of the week. This, coupled with the fact that he didn't leak anything (not just Smash) for over a year leads me to believe he didn't know anything about the next character and wanted to just quit leaking by saying something wrong.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
You know what's weird about the whole Vergeben situation? Whenever he gets something wrong, he usually gets defensive about it and explains the thing in another post. Yet he hasn't done that for the rest of the week. This, coupled with the fact that he didn't leak anything (not just Smash) for over a year leads me to believe he didn't know anything about the next character and wanted to just quit leaking by saying something wrong.
If he wanted to quit leaking why wouldn't he just...quit? Why go out like an Electrode and Self Destruct for no reason whatsoever? All he did was just make himself a punching bag one last time and that seems...well...stupid.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
From M-Rating video game characters I think the Scorpion and it is easy to think of his alternative costumes as they will be inspired by the others ninja in the Mortal Kombat series. But Scorpion with the others male ninjas is 9, so what will the 8th costume from what be inspired? Maybe they would paint him white?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If he wanted to quit leaking why wouldn't he just...quit? Why go out like an Electrode and Self Destruct for no reason whatsoever? All he did was just make himself a punching bag one last time and that seems...well...stupid.
It's honestly the strangest thing.

This is the guy who took 2~months to say "Yeah, the Pokemon rep is indeed Incineroar."

This is the guy who was one of the few leakers who not only fully went against Grinch, but gave reasoning besides the box, with Isaac being an assist.

The same guy who stuck around to ensure that "Square is coming."

This is just wholly unlike him on every level.

For all intents and purposes, Verg's Smash info was 100% correct, and then, this happens. He shot his reputation to hell.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Because I can remember from 2018-2019 that he wasn't a very nice guy, even if he had legitimate info. It's just a guess on my end after all, but this is the same guy who continuouly defended himself from comments calling out stuff like the whole "Zoro will be in Soul Calibur VI," so his silence here is rather suspicious.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm actually most impressed by modern Mario Kart titles taking the more basic early SNES and Super Circuit tracks and really turning them into grander and more interesting settings. There's more room to really get imaginative and most of them fall into a nice territory of being inspired enough that its not a complete departure, but still different enough that one is less temped to do direct comparisons like in the case of the Double Dash or DS levels. Updates to Super Circuit especially produced some really fun stuff with Ribbon Road and Cheese Land and I'd love to see a Sunset Wilds or Lakeside Park done in modern Mario Kart fashion.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Because I can remember from 2018-2019 that he wasn't a very nice guy, even if he had legitimate info. It's just a guess on my end after all, but this is the same guy who continuouly defended himself from comments calling out stuff like the whole "Zoro will be in Soul Calibur VI," so his silence here is rather suspicious.
Even if he isn't a nice guy, I can't attest one way or another, to basically commit internet seppuku all in the name of being done with leaking when he could have just stayed quiet and not done anything, thus quitting leaking in silence and what dignity he may/may not have...he'd do this instead? This was the more logical or appealing outcome to him? Seems...odd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom