• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The thing about advent children is that it’s a movie that’s still a spin-off from a video game. It’s still unprecedented for us to get anything that didn’t start as a game.
But as far as I know, Smash has no references to Detective Pikachu and its content right? People were arguing against Team Rocket because they are anime exclusive despite having a couple of cameos in a few games too, how is this any different? Isn't the Pokèmon anime a spin-off series from a videogame?

I think it's mostly just a matter of copyright and common sense. Advent Children is a movie, but its story is set in the canon of the main game, and it's an expansion of the original story. Technically it's not different than the Pokèmon anime or the Detective Pikachu movie, but being set in the same universe/canon justifies the exception.

I think Kingdom Hearts could be a similar case, because the franchise is set in its own universe that's separated from the Disney worlds, even though getting the copyrights would be a lot more complex because of the cartoon/movies crossovers; but still, if you keep them to the necessary minimum, I think it could still be perceived as a videogame series and still be coherent to the focus of Smash, because crossovers or not, Kingdom Hearts is primarily a video game franchise.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I feel like Wreck-It Ralph in Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed was part of some kind of agreement to get Sonic characters into that movie, like how the Wreck-It Ralph licensed games were exclusive to Nintendo consoles when Nintendo characters appeared in that movie. It's just a guess on my part, but it seems like it makes sense for cross-promotion/synergy purposes.
I also don't think Disney is that guarded with their IP but expects to get paid for their IP. I doubt Nintendo is willing to pay Disney's fee when they can go get other characters likely for free.

The 4th party argument is legit and I think it would ruin Smash. Open the door for Mickey and Goku, the next thing you know you have Darth Vader, Ironman, Winnie the Pooh, etc.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I also don't think Disney is that guarded with their IP but expects to get paid for their IP. I doubt Nintendo is willing to pay Disney's fee when they can go get other characters likely for free.

The 4th party argument is legit and I think it would ruin Smash. Open the door for Mickey and Goku, the next thing you know you have Darth Vader, Ironman, Winnie the Pooh, etc.
Sora.
Is not.
4th party.

He originated from a video game. It’s just owned by Disney.

The characters you’re mentioning are not from video games.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
We're a day away from finally knowing the next character and we're really going to have the exact same Sora discussion we've had on and off for two years? Really?
maxresdefault (1).jpg

You know what they say... You can only count on death, taxes, and the infinite loop of smash speculation.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
But as far as I know, Smash has no references to Detective Pikachu and its content right? People were arguing against Team Rocket because they are anime exclusive despite having a couple of cameos in a few games too, how is this any different? Isn't the Pokèmon anime a spin-off series from a videogame?

I think it's mostly just a matter of copyright and common sense. Advent Children is a movie, but its story is set in the canon of the main game, and it's an expansion of the original story. Technically it's not different than the Pokèmon anime or the Detective Pikachu movie, but being set in the same universe/canon justifies the exception.

I think Kingdom Hearts could be a similar case, because the franchise is set in its own universe that's separated from the Disney worlds, even though getting the copyrights would be a lot more complex because of the cartoon/movies crossovers; but still, if you keep them to the necessary minimum, I think it could still be perceived as a videogame series and still be coherent to the focus of Smash, because crossovers or not, Kingdom Hearts is primarily a video game franchise.
Yes KH is a video game franchise 100%, it just contains lots of elements that aren't from games. And I'm not sure what the extent of non video game spin-off that exists in Smash is, but main point was that even if Detective Pikachu isn't in Smash, it could very easily be and no one would bat an eye or be bothered by it while they may be bothered by something more obviously foreign to video games like Goku or Mickey Mouse.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Yeah gee, knock on wood hope I don't jinx it but like... we are less than a day away from Nintendo's E3 man, and not a leak yet! I'm team "let's keep it that way"

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One day, non KHs fans will stop telling us what stuff makes Kingdom Hearts what it is
They're fans because they like the series and Disney elements too.

Your "no true Scotsman" argument isn't a remotely good one nor actually proves anything. You're just attacking fans by assuming there's only one kind ever.

Let's not do that. There's actual points to respond to, instead of trying to divide up the fans.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It feels like you aren't aware that Detective Pikachu was a video game before it was a movie.

But even if it wasn't, it wouldn't matter. If something from a video game adaptation that had never appeared in the games showed up in Smash, it would be fine. Because the PROPERTY was still a video game first.

If they want to put the Captain N version of Mother Brain in Smash, they can do that, because it's still a Metroid character. And Metroid is still a video game franchise. Even if Captain N isn't.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Hold up

I have my doubts about the two private videos now…
I mean if you go straight to that playlist on the official Nintendo channel on YouTube you can see that they don't have any private videos in that playlist.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
They're fans because they like the series and Disney elements too.

Your "no true Scotsman" argument isn't a remotely good one nor actually proves anything. You're just attacking fans by assuming there's only one kind ever.

Let's not do that. There's actual points to respond to, instead of trying to divide up the fans.
I know I said it wrong but I am actually pretty sick of being told "No, That isnt KH. kH cant be KH without Disney"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know I said it wrong but I am actually pretty sick of being told "No, That isnt KH. kH cant be KH without Disney"
Best thing to do? Ignore it. It's their opinion. There's nothing wrong with it from their end, just like there's nothing wrong with you not caring about the elements.

They're both valid opinions.

Though I get what you mean, since when you get tired of something, you say it in a way you didn't mean to.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
View attachment 319154

I can see it, personally. Take my word for it, this is the right playlist but I had to crop it because the file was too big lol.
Thats weird, because I dont see it on my end. Maybe because im on mobile But so is that screenshot in the tweet, So I should see the same thing

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I'm not that big on DDLC, but this is actually nice to see.

Also, apparently Project M died for this. I don't get it...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I'm not that big on DDLC, but this is actually nice to see.

Also, apparently Project M died for this. I don't get it...
It's a joke based on how Dan was a former PM dev, and DDLC released after it shut down.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Damn, took a while to catch up, at one point the thread was moving so fast I was legit being outpaced by the amount posts vs my reading speed.

Its hard to believe this may be it.

DDLC Plus is a shock to me, didn’t feel like the type of game to get an expansion.

Hard to believe that one Project M’s creators went from being screwed over by Nintendo, to having his game actively promoted by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom