• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Now in complete fairness, for as much as it sets my BS detector into overdrive... the Champions as a Trainer sort of deal would be cool. But like, I'm quite certain they'd not sink the effort into it over, say, a single one of the Champions, possibly Mipha given she seems to be the general fan favorite.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I think I'll be signing off until after I watch the direct tomorrow. No point in getting spoiled so close to the reveal date... Stay safe and be good to one another everyone.

tumblr_inline_pn88aogBmk1ufeb46_250.gif

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The last time I wrote to a real-life friend why I thought a character was getting in, the character got in (it was steve)
Fast Typing GIFs | Tenor

time to tell my friend who doesn't really like rpgs why we're getting undertale
I planned on writing a paragraph. It turned into a ****ing essay. Written on a phone, to a friend who largely doesn't care about Undertale. I'm gonna copy and paste it here to get my money's worth.

Last time I went on a rant about why I thought we were getting a Smash character, we got him (Steve), so I'm doing it again.

The Sans Mii Costume was crazy popular when it was revealed, drowning out both Terry's reveal and Banjo's release. I heard people talking about it offline, the only other time I can think of a reveal having such impact was Steve. What if Nintendo saw this and decided to put a real Undertale rep in the second pass, in order to generate even more hype (and more importantly, cash)? We still have no idea why there's a 6th fighter in the second pass, my guess is that Nintendo threw an Undertale rep in relatively last minute, after they had picked the other five, so there's a weird sixth slot.

More circumstantial evidence: the other indie Mii Costume, Cuphead, got a tie-in spirit event a few weeks after the costume released, but we never got an Undertale spirit event. Every DLC character has a set of spirits that come with, so I think it's likely they postponed the Undertale spirits to come with the Undertale rep. Furthermore, the Indie Mii Costumes stopped after Cuphead in FP1. Did Nintendo just decide to stop talking with Indies for Mii Costumes, or are they saving the Indie Miis to come with the Indie characters? Undertale's Indie status might even be a benefit instead of the hiderance most see it as, because if my last-minute theory is correct, Nintendo only had to ask one guy for the OK, instead of the months of negotiations required from a bigger company. Japan also really likes Undertale, this isn't relevant to the topic I just wanted to mention it somewhere.

As for who the Undertale rep would be... I'm not sure. I don't think it would be Sans, because not only is there little precedent for Mii Upgrades, but Sans is canonically lazy. I also have a hunch they won't add Frisk (the main character), because they would be incredibly complex to add in a way that fits Undertale, plus we already have two cases of side characters getting in before main characters in this pass (Min Min and Pyra). I think the most likely Undertale rep is Papyrus (a popular side character and Sans's brother), followed by Toriel (the pseudo tutorial character), then back to Frisk.

There's my rant to why I think we're getting an Undertale rep, given to a friend who doesn't really like RPGs and has never played Undertale. I can't wait to be wrong, when tommorow we get Zigzagoon from Pokemon and a generic grunt with a sword from Fe.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ya

You know what

You can't ****ing surprise me anymore.

****ing Plumbers Don't Wear Ties getting a modern day port is, something I never thought would happen.

I blame the AVGN for this.
The true nightmare only starts after you realize that Plumbers Don't Wear Ties now has... ties... to Nintendo.

Looks like someone else might be joining Bubsy on the bad joke character suggestion board real soon. :4pacman:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Memes, Raiden.
I mean there is the initial shock factor but they could have effectively saved money if they made an april fools joke about it when it was april. I doubt the ports will sell all that well.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean there is the initial shock factor but they could have effectively saved money if they made an april fools joke about it when it was april. I doubt the ports will sell all that well.
I don't think they really care tbh. They probably got the IP for dirt cheap, are producing it dirt cheap, and are planning to sell it to people who find it "Le epik funni".

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Did they? Do you have a link then?

It's supposed to last about 30 minutes, so these 4 games could easily take all the time. And the wording makes me think no other surprises, otherwise I'd expect them to say something like "we'll talk about these 4 games, plus a few surprises". Which isn't the case.

So... I'm not expecting anything, as I said in a previous message. At best some ports or the last DLC character for Street Fighter 5.

SKX31

Smash Master
Comes back from a football / soccer game where Sweden and Spain miss their way to a 0-0 draw.

Hey guys what did I mis-

Sees ****ing Plumbers Don't Wear Ties news.

Ooooh...kay, that was weirder than the game in its entirety.

I don't think they really care tbh. They probably got the IP for dirt cheap, are producing it dirt cheap, and are planning to sell it to people who find it "Le epik funni".
It's pretty much a toss-up, and IMHO depends entirely on if there are enough people who are morbidly curious enough to pony up say $5-$10 (assuming it costs that much). That and it depends on if they get any additional content actually worth it, like interviews with those who were in the production.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Tbh I want LRG to get the Shadow Hearts IP

yes I love obscure ass early 2000s JRPGs got a problem with that
Wait, does LRG straight up buy these IPs? Because if they do, they have some... interesting priorities...

Also, as much as I also love obscure JRPGs, I don't think a Western company can buy a Japanese IP.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Wait, does LRG straight up buy these IPs? Because if they do, they have some... interesting priorities...

Also, as much as I also love obscure JRPGs, I don't think a Western company can buy a Japanese IP.
Im sure that they could. Its just an asset, so yeah, if a company is selling that IP, almost any company can buy them.
Someone correct me if im wrong, but im assuming tomb raider used to be developed by a western company before. Now Square owns the ip. Makes sense that the reverse could also happen.
Its about money at the end of the day, although some companies may just flat out decline a sale to a western company.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Ya

You know what

You can't ****ing surprise me anymore.

****ing Plumbers Don't Wear Ties getting a modern day port is, something I never thought would happen.

I blame the AVGN for this.
I think you legitimately can blame the AVGN for this. He popularized this old cruddy game that everyone forgot on a console that everyone forgot and probably sowed the seeds for the small amount of demand that would make this port profitable.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Im sure that they could. Its just an asset, so yeah, if a company is selling that IP, almost any company can buy them.
Someone correct me if im wrong, but im assuming tomb raider used to be developed by a western company before. Now Square owns the ip.
Its about money at the end of the day.
Not really. Eidos was Tomb Raider's original owner. Square bought Eidos, Eidos became Square Enix Europe and Square owns Tomb Raider because of them buying Eidos.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Dude, this is a super weird synchronicity man hahahaha Plumbers Don't Wear Ties coming to Switch, and another game reviewed by the AVGN, "Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout" was played by the Game Grumps today.

"BUGS BUNNY'S BIRTHDAY BLOWOUT? MORE LIKE BUGS BUNNY'S BIRTHDAY BEATING!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA those two Bugs Bunny videos are two of the things to INSTANTLY put me in a laughing fit hahahahahaha

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Disney: Bringing like half of their Marvel Roster to Orange Justice dance next to Rick, Batman, Master Chief and Kratos.
Allowing Rare to use Pirate of Caribbean in Sea of Thieves with the Likeness and Sound alike/voice of Johnny Deep even with all of the controversies
Allow Wreck it ralph in Sonic All Star Racing

However Sora in Smash Bros? **** no.
Yes, Disney will license its IPs to essentially anyone who is willing to pay for them. I have no doubt that, in the event Nintendo did or ever does contact them to discuss Sora joining Smash, Disney would (at the very least) be open to the idea on paper and would come to the bargaining table with the intent of making a deal happen.

That doesn't automatically mean they're easy to work with. They still have requirements and conditions that must be met when depicting these characters and, more importantly, Nintendo and Sakurai have to be at least willing to meet them halfway. And no, the fact that they let Marvel characters do a silly dance as a part of a promotion in Fortnite does not mean they are suddenly hyper-liberal with all of their IPs, especially since (IIRC) Marvel does a lot of their licensing for their games directly.

We do not know how Disney would theoretically want their content portrayed in Smash because they currently have no content in Smash and there is no public information on how any meetings between Nintendo and Disney went (in the event they happened). They could demand Mickey appear alongside Sora in Smash, they could demand Mickey never appear in Smash Bros. They could say "Sure, Sora's fine, but you have to include Iron Man as an additional DLC fighter down the line". It's impossible to know exactly what they demand because they're the biggest entertainment company in the world and will often throw around their weight to make sure others are meeting their often fickle demands. This becomes an even bigger factor when discussions about Kingdom Hearts in Smash are basically guaranteed sooner or later to hit the subject of Mickey Mouse, their mascot whom they are willing to protect to the point of spending hundreds of millions of dollars to change the federal law of the ****ing United States to ensure the gravy train keeps going.

This becomes even more complicated when you factor in the other party in this situation. Sakurai can and has put his foot down when corporate interests butt heads with his creative vision. "I have an opportunity to use one of the most famous characters in gaming, period, but I may have to use his recent redesign? **** that, give me the original or give me nothing". "I have to change the design of one of SNK's most famous characters and one of the most female fighting game characters of all time? Yeah, no, Mai's just not showing up and I'm publicly going to put that on CERO's head".

There is no issue where Sakurai has drawn a more clear line in the sand than that of non-video games characters. They will never happen while he's still connected to the series. Like it or not, Disney is a part of Kingdom Hearts' identity. Has Disney's presence decreased as the series has gone on? Yes. Does Kingdom Hearts have more than enough original content to fill a Challenger Pack? Absolutely. Do these facts alone guarantee or even make it likely that Disney would be fine with having no references to other, outside IPs in a Challenger Pack? No, because if Disney says "I don't care if Mickey isn't allowed in Smash because of some arbitrary internal rule you have. We see the attention Smash reveals get and we want some of that for our mascot who has traditionally struggled with the demographics that Smash Bros. attracts. No Mickey, no Sora", then that's that. If Sakurai's not willing to make exceptions for PAC-Man at the bargaining table, then I really don't see him doing so with Sora, especially when Disney could be asking for a lot more than that a specific design is used.

Sora would be very cool in Smash. Sora has a lot of pros when it comes to Smash. Sora could realistically be added to Smash Bros. either as a DLC character now or a newcomer next game. There's no ambiguity that he's a viable option. However, I'm honestly sick and tired of people acting like having to negotiate with the behemoth that is Disney and/or finding a mutually agreed-upon answer to tackling Kingdom Hearts' licensed elements aren't major roadblocks that could make or break whether or not Sora is included.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So on thing I haven't seen much chat about is how in the hell the Treehouse Live is three hours long.

Like, there is no way it's that long without a minimum of, like, three really big new game announcements, right?

So clearly, BotW2 is gonna be here, and get some Treehouse time, but it can't be the only game there...right? Even if they drop BotW2 for this year, they can't show off three hours of a brand new game, right?

I think this leads credence to something like a new DK game, a new Kirby game, or a new Mario game. Hell, maybe even a new Xeno game.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Splattytoon 3 could be there.
Eh, one hour per game, including breaks and you‘ve got 2/3rds covered with Splatoon 3 and BoTW2. Even then, games covered at Treehouse Live have been of the Eternal Oasis caliber as well.

volbound1700

Smash Master
In the words of James the AVGN regarding the Plumbers don't wear ties...

"No... this can't be real."

Is this confirmation of the AVGN coming to Smash?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom