• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I think the question is less about whether or not Sora could work without Disney's IPs (he could, Kingdom Hearts has more than enough original content to pull from), it's about whether Nintendo and, more importantly, Disney can reach an agreement about whether or not to include Disney's IPs.

If Sakurai says Sora's not happening if he brings Disney IPs and Disney says Sora's not happening unless he brings Disney IPs, then Sora's unfortunately not happening.
I see what you’re saying, but I honestly don’t believe it would be that difficult to come to an agreement.

I don’t know though because I’m not sure how all of that works, and I can open a portal in the space-time continuum to view the inner proceedings of how those talks would, could, or should go.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Another argument in favor of getting non-game stuff, is that there is Advent Children content in the game, and despite Advent Children being based on Final Fantasy 7, a videogame, it's stiill first of all a movie.
It seems they are trying to avoid non-game content for those series who are games but also other media (for example, Pokèmon does not make references to the anime, aside of that Ash Greninja thing); though with Final Fantasy, they put in Advent Children specific content.

I think that the rule about non-game content is very loose and it depends on the context.
The thing about advent children is that it’s a movie that’s still a spin-off from a video game. It’s still unprecedented for us to get anything that didn’t start as a game.

Let me make it clear:

I am not saying Sora should happen without Disney. I am simply pointing out that he COULD, and it still be a faithful representation of the franchise. Sora is my most wanted character. I have loved Kingdom Hearts for over a decade now. I want a character from one of my favorite games, to be playable in another one of my favorite games, that is made by my favorite gaming company.

I am tired of seeing the same tired arguments brought up against Sora’s potential inclusion into Smash Ultimate. The arguments are either regurgitations of widely held beliefs amongst others, made by people who only know what Kingdom Hearts is on a surface level, or limitations based in some asinine made up fan rule.

Let me want Sora in Smash.
Not a Sora fan, but anyone saying he has no shot, Disney content or otherwise, is delusional. He’s pretty much the most requested character not in Smash and that alone means something.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Another argument in favor of getting non-game stuff, is that there is Advent Children content in the game, and despite Advent Children being based on Final Fantasy 7, a videogame, it's stiill first of all a movie.
It seems they are trying to avoid non-game content for those series who are games but also other media (for example, Pokèmon does not make references to the anime, aside of that Ash Greninja thing); though with Final Fantasy, they put in Advent Children specific content.

I think that the rule about non-game content is very loose and it depends on the context.
Ash is hard name dropped in Pokemon Trainer's trophy.

Melee uses Misty's anime design.

Multiple Pokemon take notes from the anime in how they play(and the fact they talk in it).

Goldeen is the joke Pokemon because of a small anime moment.

It actually takes quite a bit of the anime into the count. In fact, Sakurai noted that he often looks at the anime to determine who is a good potential choice. So...

Yeah, the anime plays a pretty big role.

Ash-Greninja didn't even get into Ultimate as the Final Smash change-up till after he got a special thing via the ORAS demo, but that's the only time where a playable chaacter has something that only exists from the anime. Including the kunai as of Ultimate. For the most part, it's notes from the anime for playable characters. Greninja is the exception, using something straight from it, not technically based upon it alone. Lucario is based upon his aura abilities from the anime, having very few game-related stuff as is. Being it was chosen due to the movie helping push it, it's not that surprising. They even spent a year on the character, due to Aura.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Jimminy Christmas, we are all going to be wrong about who is get revealed tomorrow anyway.

“It’s Springman! It’s Springman!” Min Min.

Hardly anyone saw Sephiroth coming.

Everyone thought it would be Rex & Pyra, not Pyra & Mythra.

Even harkening back to the first pass, I hardly ever saw anyone mention Hero, Terry, or Byleth.

Throughout both Fighter’s Passes I have only gotten Hero, Byleth, and Min Min correct. Not as a “who’s next?!” guess either. Just a general prediction.

HOORAY! Somebody else says "Jiminy Christmas!" HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I thought I was the only one haha yeeeaaaaaah a Jiminy Christmas brotherrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

But yeah, I DISTINCTLY REMEMBER "There's NO WAY they're adding another Fire Emblem character!" "NO! Ridley is TOO BIG!" "Daisy will NEVER get to Super Smash Bros, SHUT UP!"

If I went back in time to tell them that the first post-release fighter would be Piranha Plant, they'd SHOOT me.

I'll be honest, I think even Disney knows that Mario vs Mickey Mouse is a big deal, and I think a good part of the reason talks for Sora in Smash seemingly feel through was because it was Disney themselves that pushed for Mickey Mouse in Smash, and also were probably very specific in how they wanted Kingdom Hearts represented in Smash, which perhaps might have been too much either in Licensing costs (which I actually don't think was the case) or too much in Development costs for the Smash team (which I think was the case)

In any case I do agree on both sides of the Sora debate. Sora can still have some adequate representation without the Disney content, but I also agree with other people that it feel kind of Hollow if Disney wasn't represented in Someway in Smash. It all depends on how much Nintendo/Sakurai want Sora in Smash, and what they are willing to sacrifice to get him in there, whether it's Time, money, etc

I saw a little of the Fatigue on Smash Speculation. to be honest, even I'm feeling it.

I thought about if a Golf Club or Tennis Racket could be a sword, but nah I don't think it would count. I looked in Steve's DLC tournament about tools and it had every weapon user in that tournament, Except for any Sword fighters. So I think one of the next characters has to use swords Specifically.

The character I think I came to a conclusion to for this is more...mechanical in nature, but I get more into it when I post the full predictions
Ahh poo. I was wondering if Waluigi could be our "sword fighter" with his tennis racket/golf club or whatever.

But yeah, huh... now see, I'M currently of the camp that Bandai Namco is not getting a character since their Mii costumes (one of which even has a sword, Gil) have been sprinkled throughout Pass 2. So... no Dark Souls, no Tales... so barring Bandai Namco/Capcom (same reason, Miis came with Xenoblade)... and no Xenoblade since we just got that... who could it be? And I don't believe in double dips (unless Square Enix wants to give us Crono, then I wouldn't argue with it, I just don't currently believe it). Who could it be then?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
HOORAY! Somebody else says "Jiminy Christmas!" HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I thought I was the only one haha yeeeaaaaaah a Jiminy Christmas brotherrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

But yeah, I DISTINCTLY REMEMBER "There's NO WAY they're adding another Fire Emblem character!" "NO! Ridley is TOO BIG!" "Daisy will NEVER get to Super Smash Bros, SHUT UP!"

If I went back in time to tell them that the first post-release fighter would be Piranha Plant, they'd SHOOT me.

Ahh poo. I was wondering if Waluigi could be our "sword fighter" with his tennis racket/golf club or whatever.

But yeah, huh... now see, I'M currently of the camp that Bandai Namco is not getting a character since their Mii costumes (one of which even has a sword, Gil) have been sprinkled throughout Pass 2. So... no Dark Souls, no Tales... so barring Bandai Namco/Capcom (same reason, Miis came with Xenoblade)... and no Xenoblade since we just got that... who could it be? And I don't believe in double dips (unless Square Enix wants to give us Crono, then I wouldn't argue with it, I just don't currently believe it). Who could it be then?
We’re still missing the Lloyd costume from Bandai Namco, so I wouldn’t count them out just yet

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Those rumors about a bonus fighter - I was sold on it too for a while but Mr. Sakurai's recent comments were a little too explicit for me to really be feeling it now. He can be a dodgy guy but he doesn't usually outright lie. That said, I've been caught in 16k being dead-faced wrong before, so who knows?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Except such a thing was only on the AUS/NZ site, and it might just have been an error.
It's possible for sure, but on the other hand there is precedent for the official Nintendo websites accidentally leaking future fighters.
We won't know for sure which this is until after the fact, unfortunately, but I still think it's worth considering.

Anyone who isn't PapaGenos who says this? :239: Just wanna see some validity.
It's from the official Nintendo of Australia website. You can even check it for yourself:
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000018972 - CP11
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000018973 - ???
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000018974 - Ancient Helm + Armor

It was also significant enough to be added to the SmashWiki rumors page.

They'd never represent Disney in Smash guys!

These Two Have Appeared In The Same Thing on Twitter: Did you know? Mickey  Mouse and Donald Duck are mentioned in Super Smash Bros Brawl in the  Chronicle section?…
There's a big difference between a shout out, a reference to a past history, and a full-on fighter. Sakurai has been explicit on not including characters from outside of video games.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course, Nintendo has leaked stuff by accident before.

...But it never contradicted anything. Whatever the error is, all I remember is that it was more like some kind of thing announced, not necessarily a bonus fighter. At least if I read the thing right some time back. I don't think we have a remote chance for a bonus character either way.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's possible for sure, but on the other hand there is precedent for the official Nintendo websites accidentally leaking future fighters.
We won't know for sure which this is until after the fact, unfortunately, but I still think it's worth considering.

It's from the official Nintendo of Australia website. You can even check it for yourself:
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000018972 - CP11
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000018974 - ???
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000018974 - Ancient Helm + Armor

It was also significant enough to be added to the SmashWiki rumors page.

There's a big difference between a shout out, a reference to a past history, and a full-on fighter. Sakurai has been explicit on not including characters from outside of video games.
The ??? And Ancient Helm+Gear are the same link. I think ??? Is supposed to have a 3 at the end, not 4

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
We’re still missing the Lloyd costume from Bandai Namco, so I wouldn’t count them out just yet
I'd love to have Lloyd PURELY so that we could have the "Robin from Teen Titans" voice. Tales of Symphonia is the only one of that series I played... and I didn't play MUCH of it. The guy had Scott Menville's voice, straight up Robin from Teen Titans (a beautiful show, lightning in a bottle style. CHEF'S KISS!) he had a little friend with blue hair named Genis who I could make a terrible joke about what his name sounds like... and you ate sandwiches after battles. I did NOT get very far and I barely remember what the story of it actually was.

Yeah, Lloyd Mii hasn't come back.... but it absolutely still can. Gil has, Heihachi has... it could come back yet... or they could pull the rug out and then go "TITANS, GO!" and Lloyd shows up.

Shroob

Sup?
So Gamexplain put out a vid on that 4 Champ idea.

I can't tell if that's a coincidence of if that "leak" really did blow up.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd love to have Lloyd PURELY so that we could have the "Robin from Teen Titans" voice. Tales of Symphonia is the only one of that series I played... and I didn't play MUCH of it. The guy had Scott Menville's voice, straight up Robin from Teen Titans (a beautiful show, lightning in a bottle style. CHEF'S KISS!) he had a little friend with blue hair named Genis who I could make a terrible joke about what his name sounds like... and you ate sandwiches after battles. I did NOT get very far and I barely remember what the story of it actually was.

Yeah, Lloyd Mii hasn't come back.... but it absolutely still can. Gil has, Heihachi has... it could come back yet... or they could pull the rug out and then go "TITANS, GO!" and Lloyd shows up.
BN still has plenty of non-Lloyd characters as another playable candidate

volbound1700

Smash Master
The ??? And Ancient Helm+Gear are the same link. I think ??? Is supposed to have a 3 at the end, not 4
I think Namco is the most likely third-party company to get a character for these last two spots. A Tales of XXX character would make sense. Lloyd, Yuri, or another one. Heihachi also makes sense.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I figure that a lot of people tend to lean towards characters that they've played when it comes to speculation or making predictions (I know I'm guilty of that), which makes sense - that's what you're familiar with, so it's a lot easier to picture how it would work getting into Smash, not to mention that it's a lot easier to get excited about it. However, what's a series where you're not familiar with it, but you could see content from it getting into Smash?

For me, two series that come to mind are Dark Souls and Guilty Gear. (I can't think of any first party series that I'm not familiar with that could easily make the jump to Smash Bros. - it's mostly stuff like Rhythm Heaven, which by my understanding is a series of unrelated WarioWare style microgames with a variety of hosts, Geist, which is likely forgotten (I don't think it's ever gotten a spirit, trophy, or sticker), or Dillon's Rolling Western, which is already in as an assist trophy)

I've only played a bit of Guilty Gear XX on the Switch (I think I've just played the story modes for Sol, Kliff, Order Sol, and Robo-Ky - I got Guilty Gear Xrd on Steam, but I don't know if that's the best one to jump into - I tried that with BlazBlue and was completely lost) and the opening of Dark Souls (I don't remember how far I got, but it wasn't very far), but I could easily see Sakurai doing a whole presentation going over the reference-filled movesets of Sol Badguy and the Chosen Undead (or Solaire? No idea who'd be picked for Dark Souls), along with the stages that lovingly crafted and filled with tons of details and cameos, and a huge list of music from either series. (though I feel like Smell Of The Game would be an instrumental remix)

EDIT: Turns out that the game already includes an instrumental version of Smell of the Game.

Last edited:

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of Sora, if I really had to make a guess about whether if Disney content would be included with him, is that if they do bring some in, the only major appearances would be the Castle Trio (Mickey Donald and Goofy) as Spirits and/or stage cameos (maybe in a final smash too depending on what move is used). The rest of the Disney characters in the series are more or less on the sideline who don’t contribute a whole lot to the plot, if anything at all; the Castle Trio actually do stuff, with Mickey being a king and keyblade master who shows up in some important scenes, and Donald and Goofy being part of Sora’s party almost all the time. The only other Disney characters I could see appearing as Spirits or cameos is Maleficent and/or Pete, because they’re the most recurring Disney baddies in the series (besides Hades, but he stays in the Olympus worlds rather than affecting the plot at large).

Shroob

Sup?
There was a rumour about it? It explains why it got mentioned earlier then but do tell, as fake as it is
Gamefaqs post saying the last 2 characters were the 4 champs(in one slot), and Rayman.

Then Imran used the term Smash Cut in a post about them and it just blew up.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

Sora is originated from a video game. It’s just owned by Disney. He meets the criteria in that regard, and is thusly not “4th party.”

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I can guarantee Black Shadow's not on there because people want him, they voted him sk he can take Ganon's moveset so Ganon can be remade entirely.
Yes. As he should.

Smash Run would make me enjoy Ultimate again.
Smash Run Battle Royale!

Sakurai likes being faithful regarding characters. That's why Mai didn't even make a cameo on Terry's stage.
And why Falcon's moveset has so much car driving in it?

Could Mickey borrow from Mickey Mania and like... just PELT MARBLES IN PEOPLE'S FACES like he did in that game hahaha I kind of love that that was something Mickey did it's so specific but so weirdly brutal hahahaha
Nuts to that! Magical Quest is where you get your Micky moveset from.

Charged spell blasts. FLUDD-style water stream. Grappling hook...

So uh, I don't suppose it's safe to show my face around here after a dumb joke I made on Twitter kind of imploded the Smash fandom?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I see what you’re saying, but I honestly don’t believe it would be that difficult to come to an agreement.

I don’t know though because I’m not sure how all of that works, and I can open a portal in the space-time continuum to view the inner proceedings of how those talks would, could, or should go.
I could see it being an issue, Disney is incredibly protective of their IPs and Sakurai is very much willing to fight for his creative vision (Dude threatened to cut PAC-Man if he had to use the Ghostly Adventures redesign and choose to cut Mai Shiranui and call CERO out for it rather than censor her design). I could see an unstoppable force vs. unmoveable object scenario if both parties ran into something they were willing to fight about, which I could see happening if talks to include content from IPs that didn't start as a game were to break out.

In essence, it would go something like this:

Disney: "The project proposal for Super Smash Bros X Kingdom Hearts looks great, Mr. Sakurai. However, we are dissatisfied by your choice to not include Mickey, Donald, or Goofy. We feel that their inclusion would greatly enhance Kingdom Hearts' presentation in Smash.

Sakurai: Sorry, but I don't believe that including non-game characters in Smash is a good idea. Smash is a gaming crossover first and foremost and that dividing line needs to be there for the series to maintain its identity.

Disney: We're sorry you feel that way, but we're unwilling to sign a contract that doesn't mandate Mickey, Donald, and Goofy's inclusions.

Sakurai: Okay, I guess we're not signing a contract then.

Nintendo: ****.

Granted, this is all speculation, so I could be wrong about how this would work out. However, just from what I know as an outsider based on how these two parties operate, I could easily see this scenario occur.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
BN still has plenty of non-Lloyd characters as another playable candidate
Gimme Soulcalibur! Especially if it is like, SCII Nightmare swinging around that big sword like "Souls... give me STRENGTH!" and just headbutting people "NYEH! DIE!"

Or just straight up ASTAROTH! "SQUIRM, SCREAM, KILLLLLLLLLLLLL!" "IT will rain, BLOOD TODAAAAAAAAY" "STOP SCREAMING, MY EARS ARE BLEEDING!"

Cervantes popping out "Come with me to HELL!"

Technomage

Smash Champion
Does anyone find it suspicious that Waluigi seems to be highlighted in the Mario Golf trailers WAY more than he usually gets highlighted in spinoff trailers? They usually don't pay much attention to Waluigi but the announcer specifically talked about him in the trailer.

People are gonna call me crazy for this, but I think he might get revealed tomorrow with how much Nintendo has suddenly started paying attention to him.
Maybe Nintendo's starting to notice all the Waluigi support being voiced?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Disney is incredibly protective of their IPs
Disney: Bringing like half of their Marvel Roster to Orange Justice dance next to Rick, Batman, Master Chief and Kratos.
Allowing Rare to use Pirate of Caribbean in Sea of Thieves with the Likeness and Sound alike/voice of Johnny Deep even with all of the controversies
Allow Wreck it ralph in Sonic All Star Racing

However Sora in Smash Bros? **** no.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
4chan made a funny leak
View attachment 319147
It's fake, but funny.
This person genuinely thinking Nintendo would bring back Battalion Wars and Doshin the Giant made me laugh.

'Dark Souls Knight' was the cream on top, and WarioWare Motors was the jam inside.

Edit: Switch 3D as well. Of all the things to bring back from previous consoles, they'd totally choose the feature that got removed from future revisions of its debut console.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Hypothetical: Sakurai has decided he really is done making Smash games. For his final character...he adds a 4th party character.

"Haha! Enjoy your Pandora's Box, next guy! I'm outta here!"
That would complete Sakurai breaking all of the fan rules lol. He seems to like to do that. Heck he had multiple characters that he stated he could not envision in Smash that he later added: Villager, Ridley, and Pacman ring bells.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Does anyone find it suspicious that Waluigi seems to be highlighted in the Mario Golf trailers WAY more than he usually gets highlighted in spinoff trailers? They usually don't pay much attention to Waluigi but the announcer specifically talked about him in the trailer.

People are gonna call me crazy for this, but I think he might get revealed tomorrow with how much Nintendo has suddenly started paying attention to him.
At the Very Least, I think Nintendo might take Waluigi more seriously as a character from now on. I'm not exactly sure on Smash, but It's a thing the future will be bright for Waluigi from now on

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I could see it being an issue, Disney is incredibly protective of their IPs and Sakurai is very much willing to fight for his creative vision (Dude threatened to cut PAC-Man if he had to use the Ghostly Adventures redesign and choose to cut Mai Shiranui and call CERO out for it rather than censor her design). I could see an unstoppable force vs. unmoveable object scenario if both parties ran into something they were willing to fight about, which I could see happening if talks to include content from IPs that didn't start as a game were to break out.

In essence, it would go something like this:

Disney: "The project proposal for Super Smash Bros X Kingdom Hearts looks great, Mr. Sakurai. However, we are dissatisfied by your choice to not include Mickey, Donald, or Goofy. We feel that their inclusion would greatly enhance Kingdom Hearts' presentation in Smash.

Sakurai: Sorry, but I don't believe that including non-game characters in Smash is a good idea. Smash is a gaming crossover first and foremost and that dividing line needs to be there for the series to maintain its identity.

Disney: We're sorry you feel that way, but we're unwilling to sign a contract that doesn't mandate Mickey, Donald, and Goofy's inclusions.

Sakurai: Okay, I guess we're not signing a contract then.

Nintendo: ****.

Granted, this is all speculation, so I could be wrong about how this would work out. However, just from what I know as an outsider based on how these two parties operate, I could easily see this scenario occur.
I can see the potential for it to go either way. I know Disney is protective of its IP’s, as is Nintendo. I also know Sakurai has his vision, and that it could be a problem in terms of negotiation.

Just, nothing would make me more hyped than to see Sora in Smash…

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Disney: Bringing like half of their Marvel Roster to Orange Justice dance next to Rick, Batman, Master Chief and Kratos.
Allowing Rare to use Pirate of Caribbean in Sea of Thieves with the Likeness and Sound alike/voice of Johnny Deep even with all of the controversies
Allow Wreck it ralph in Sonic All Star Racing

However Sora in Smash Bros? **** no.
I feel like Wreck-It Ralph in Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed was part of some kind of agreement to get Sonic characters into that movie, like how the Wreck-It Ralph licensed games were exclusive to Nintendo consoles when Nintendo characters appeared in that movie. It's just a guess on my part, but it seems like it makes sense for cross-promotion/synergy purposes - a sort of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" kind of deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom